New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cannes (IC)

1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: New Cannes (IC)

Grim tried to leap back from the ghoul, finding himself the focus of the beast's attacks. Dammit, Grim, never be the first to hit ... always let it get distracted first. Now I've got to hope it doesn't rip me from neck to nut ..

Spoiler
    Show
    So is my defense an Athletics roll, or my Fists? Or does tagging the aspect "Flat on his ass" simply give me a bonus to Athletics, should I decide to use it as my defense?

I'll just roll for my Fists (Great, +4), first, and see how this goes. It seems like I could probably try to use my Awareness to 'see the punch coming' and gain a bonus to my Fists, but since I'm not positive how I'd do that, I'll wait on that for a bit. (4d3-4)[5]
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you have a higher Fists skill, you can use that to defend against the Ghoul's claw (which are Fists) attacks. And yes, you could use the free tag to boost your Fists defense as well because it makes sense.

The savage ghoul misses the bite, chomping down on nothing. It is now Brando's action!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando begisn to move a bit too late. Grim had already been attacked. Oh no. It seems like he made it but it was better end this quickly

He covers the distance in few steps and puts one massive paw on the ghouls head and forces it down to the ground, than lowering himself quickly, opens his jaw and lowers it biting the neck. His maw more than big enough to fit the ghouls's head as no problem with a soft neck

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack! Superb Fists
    (3d4-3)[3]
    My claws/fangs are Weapon: 3 when combined with Inhuman Strength

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber curses as the vampire escapes, though a slight amusement crosses her face at the burns. She wasn't sure how good the healing of a White Court Vampire was, but a third degree burn would at least alienate him and hurt his ego. He had pulled a good game and almost convinced her, but once the initial fast talk and accusations had ended and her mind cleared she had realized that these weren't volunteers and as such it was her JOB as a Warden to keep the mortals safe from things like this.

Turning back to the fight she lifts her finger and points it at the ghoul as if hand was a gun. "Souffle de l'esprit" She said glad that she could blast this thing at least to blow some steam. "This is all I got without hurting myself guys..." She mumbles.

Spoiler
    Show

Rote spell, no need to control. Rolling discipline to hit vs Athletics
    Discipline to control: (4d6)[5][1][2][2](10)+7 (Total=5)
    Weapon: 7 Spirit attack

Mental stress: 1/4
    Last edited by Major; 2012-05-30 at 02:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Seeing Brando and Amber engage the ghoul, Grim moved back to the door, glancing out the shattered remains into the night. It probably wouldn't do to have the police show up suddenly ... and it put Grim in a good position to withdraw if things took a turn for the worse. As he moved past Doreen, he glanced at warily, smirking for a moment before speaking.
    "This is all just a bad dream. The lesson? Don't each cheetos before watching a monster movie marathon!"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Ghoul's DEF (Athletics) vs Brando's attack (Fists): (4d3-4)[6]
    Ghoul's DEF (Athletics) vs Amber's magic attack (W7 Spirit evoc): (4d3-4)[5]

The Ghoul manages to avoid Brando's bite (unless Brando manages to increas ehis result by 3 somehow), but that spirit flame hits spot on, searing the flesh!

Spoiler
    Show
    If Gray passes on the free tag on "Shot in the Groin" to Amber, Amber's total damage becomes 9, which would force the Ghoul to take a Severe consequence. If Amber also spends a FP to compel "Flat on His Ass" for another 2, the Ghoul will be forced to use up multiple consequences, which of course you guys can tag for free later.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-31 at 01:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending a fate point for flat on his ass. Leaving me with 2 fate points. I'll tag if Grim shares the shot in the groin.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Tag away, Amber! Take 'em down!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

The flesh searing is SO severe, you can literally see STEAM rising from the ghoul's flesh. It's now burnt AND tender!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ghoul fulls in its 3rd stress box, so it now has 1 and 3 filled in. It took 2 Consequences: Tenderized Flesh (minor), and 3rd Degree Burns (severe). It now has these consequences in total:

Minor: Tenderized Flesh, Shot in the Groin
    Severe: 3rd Degree Burns

It has more than one minor physical consequence because of its recovery power.

The mama-lion Doreen continues to blast at the apparent monster near her child, ignoring Grim. She gets a good blast off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Amber passes on the two free tags from the consequences just created to Doreen, Doreen will have enough resources between those and her own Aspects to take the Ghoul down. Does Amber do so?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    The flesh searing is SO severe, you can literally see STEAM rising from the ghoul's flesh. It's now burnt AND tender!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ghoul fulls in its 3rd stress box, so it now has 1 and 3 filled in. It took 2 Consequences: Tenderized Flesh (minor), and 3rd Degree Burns (severe). It now has these consequences in total:

Minor: Tenderized Flesh, Shot in the Groin
    Severe: 3rd Degree Burns

It has more than one minor physical consequence because of its recovery power.

The mama-lion Doreen continues to blast at the apparent monster near her child, ignoring Grim. She gets a good blast off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Amber passes on the two free tags from the consequences just created to Doreen, Doreen will have enough resources between those and her own Aspects to take the Ghoul down. Does Amber do so?
    Spoiler
    Show

Luckily passing aspects seems an ooc thing, cause ic Amber isn't amused with Doreen. But yeah I'll pass them on since I don't see any reason not too

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Doreen takes the 2 free tags, and spends a Fate Point on her Aspect, "My Child is my Everything" to bring her 3 stress hit up to a 9 stress hit. The ghoul, even taking a moderate consequence, only brings that down to a 5 stress hit, which overflows its physical stress track, taking it out.

Here is how Doreen chooses to 'take out' the ghoul.

The shot was SO dead on that is goes through the ghoul's body at the center, literally SHATTERING its spine. The ghoul collapses, barely alive, and Doreen starts racing towards her little girl. The girl is crying and shouting, "Mommy! Mommy!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Combat over. Major, feel free to say in character why Amber's not so amused with Doreen showing up. I see good roleplay coming! Everyone else can post too of course.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-06-03 at 01:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber glares annoyed at the woman was still standing and now super involved. "What the hell are you doing here?" She says clenching her first and trying to figure out how she was supposed to explain magic, monsters, and everything to this woman. It was times like this she reached the Laws of Magic would allow her to mess with memories, but the restrictions were a pain. She tried to control her angry breathing, pissed mostly because of the Vampire's escape and his mind games, but blowing up on Doreen. "This isn't a damn game and there are certain damn things you shouldn't damn know!" She says looking at her group, "One of you get those stupid chains, I'm saving my power so I don't start tiring too fast."

Bad enough the little girl knew but at least that could be blamed on an active imagination of trauma, but the mother is going to be a pain...What should I do? She thinks quickly.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Doreen first goes to hug her daughter tightly, and then counters with a question. "What the hell are you doing HIDING information from me when you had a good idea where my Stacy is! I had to track Dr. Fiammavolpe down via the cell phone GPS device."

Doreen pulls out from her pack a tool which she unfolds into what appears to be a compact metal shovel with the sides sharpened. She starts laying onto the steel chains, but is having trouble breaking the chains. "And I'll tell you what I should know: ANYTHING INVOLVING MY DAUGHTER!"

Perhaps the shock of the other things she saw just hasn't sunk in yet...

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"You are a civilian and aren't cleared to run in and get in the way of things. If you tried running into a crime scene you'd be placed under arrest right now." She says with a glare. "And what the hell are you doing with the weapons? Do you have the permits to wield those?"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"And you're not the police. This is a crime scene alright. Someone KIDNAPPED my daughter. That's a crime, and any jury will sympathize with me. Besides, the Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired back in 2004. I have all the necessary licenses for my M2 Tactical."

Her daughter Stacy pleads in a frightened voice, "Please...get me out of here. The scary man and monster took me here and only gave me water. The monster...it hurt me."

Doreen continues striking at the chains.

Her weapon looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Its ammo capacity is a nice 5 + 1, and she was firing it at a pretty good pace with accuracy. Her military training shows.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Deciding that Doreen's efforts at breaking the chain really need some help, Brando approaches then, making sure he's got no guns aimed at him first

Then, he helps by mauling the things himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempt to break the chains
    (4d3+1)[7]

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber is quiet for a few moments as she watches them try to hit the chain "Are you an idiot?" She finally ask after a few moments of silence, "Did that man or that animal seem at all normal to you? Why would normal police handle abnormal matters?" She ask condescendingly.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Please post what skill you're using in the future. I assume you're using Might right now. Also, whenever Brando shapeshifts, please edit the re-configured skill setting in your character sheet post in the OOC so I can refer to it easily.

Stacy shrinks away from the wereliger at first, but then she sees Brando helping her mom with the chains, and she calms down a bit. Continuing her story, she says, "I've been locked here for a few days. That monster...BIT me on the first day. I thought it was going to eat me. The man brought in a dead body later on, and the monster hate half of the body, and left the other half next t me." She points to the half-eaten corpse close-by. Only its bottom half remains.

Brando's strength prevails and he TEARS apart the chains, freeing the little girl.

Doreen puts away her tools and hugs her little girl again. "It's alright dear. You're safe now." Standing up, she looks at the rest of you, especially at Brando, and asks, "Alright, explain to me what's going on here. Who or what are those things and why did they want my daughter?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone who has a Lore a +1 or better can roll it right now to remember something about Ghouls.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-06-03 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Lore for Ghoul stuff (4d6)[2][1][5][5](13) +4

Amber crossed her arms, "Look, I'm sorry, but you are not cleared to know this So I'm going to ask you to cease and desist." She says reaching into her pocket while quickly trying to put together a veil. She quickly tries to remember what a badge looks like knowing which ones to avoid and which ones to fake, as she draws her wallet, flicks it open and then closes it after giving just enough time to see it. "We are Federal Agents pursing a Wanted Man. I'm willing to drop this with only a little questioning if you are willing to drop this and not tell anyone about any of this." She says before pausing to give her a minute to piece together an explanation. "That man stole some military hardware and technology and as such I can't tell you everything." She says gripping her head trying to push back the headache.

Spoiler
    Show

Spirit Evocation. If I read correctly a veil is a spirit block? Not sure if its the same. She's trying to create a fake badge. I was debating if she'd know one, but I'd think Wardens would at least know to know what to avoid and not screw with. If wrong, its just a police badge :P

Six shifts of power to create a block that requires a +6 awareness to tell its a fake veil. She's only flashing it for one round (thus quick close) so no persistence.
    Discipline to control: (4d6)[6][6][2][5](19) +7
    Total: 9
    Total Needed: 6
    Success!

Taking the minor consequence "Headache" due to taking mental stress.
    Edit: Actually...just realized with the ghoul being dropped that ended that conflict...Which means this would be a new conflict right? Social sure, but no longer the same conflict.
    Soooo 3/4 mental stress and no headache? Or am I mistaken?

Edit2:
    In rare instances, it might be appropriate
    for stress to remain if your character goes immediately
    from one conflict to another or to some
    other appropriate scene
    Is this one of those? I'll just let you pick...does Amber have a headache?
    Last edited by Major; 2012-06-04 at 04:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You haven't had time to rest yet, so your stress still remain. So which boxes do you have filled in currently?

Now, as for the illusion, more intricate objects require a higher base shift of power you must put into the spell. An FBI or Police badge can be intricate, so base shifts is 3. That means the block strength vs her Investigation is 3.

Doreen's Investigation roll: (4d3-2)[3][2][3][3](9)
    Sorry, it should be 4d3-6, not -2, so Doreen's Investigation roll totals +5.
    Also, I'll need you to roll a Deceit check for your lie. Because your object looked fake, Doreen may b e even more suspicious.

Stacy keeps on hanging on to Doreen's arm. "I think the man said something about seeing how long before...before..." The little girl visible shudders. "...before I get hungry enough to eat the body."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone who gets a Lore check of +3 or better: This alarms Amber. Amber knows that Ghoul-hood isn't a disease. It usually can't be spread by being bit. This isn't Resident Evil. Ghouls *reproduce*. they do not *infect*...as least normal ghouls don't. Either way, it might be best to get the girl checked out by an expert somewhere.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-06-04 at 06:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim just watched the others banter back and forth, arguing over who was 'authorized' and who had 'rights' and a bunch of crap that just didn't make any sense, given the context of the situation. Amber seemed to be trying to convince the woman that the events tonight were both extremely odd AND none of her concern. Add to the fact that the little girl was babbling about monsters biting her and bodies and the like and this was just getting weird.

Seeing the little girl was free, he walked over to Amber and nodded towards the door. "Hey, Captain, we need to get a move on. The local police will be here soon, asking questions above their paygrade. I've got to get the K-9 back to the kennels and fill out the reports ... can we hurry this up?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if you need a check, but here's a deceit: (4d3-7)[2]

Hopefully Doreen loses this in her spell-induced hazy of weariness!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, missed the complexity thing. Sorry about that. Is it too late to tag the tired aspect I put on her earlier for the badge? Not like it matters my deceit roll will probably give me away lol

Alrighty, deceit time:
    (4d6)[3][6][2][6](17) +1 =_= She's a bad liar.
    Total: 2
    -If I can target an aspect a second time (since its a second roll) I'd like to spend a fate point to invoke the Mega-Ultra Tired. Her brain is exhausted so its less likely to pick up on a lie. I'd like the +2 to my deceit roll. Now...if its too late to use the free tag for the veil, I'll just use the tag here then instead of spending a fate point

As for stress boxes I've filed in three out of four, to avoid knocking myself out I'm taking mild consequence "headache" to block the stress from the veil attempt.

Wait...scratch that. Just realized that I didn't clear the stress from the veil at the bar. I only used three magic spells so far. The shot on the vampire, the ghoul, and the badge veil. So... 3/4 stress boxes covered. I have box 1, 2, and 3 filled in due to "rolling up".

Amber frowns as she hears the little girl's comment, "Wait...are you sure he said that?" She asked confused. This wasn't right, the Vampire didn't seem like an idiot he would know the same thing she did. This was very bad. She quickly waved her hand at Grim, "Yeah, yeah officer, go ahead and get to work clearing the scene, taking the bodies, and such. Once we got everything cleared, check for any clues. This isn't his usual MO. It might even be above me too...I'll get a hold of the boss after." She commented, leaving her meaning about getting a higher wizard for them to figure out.

As she tried to figure out what was up she realized this was above her. If the vampire was not lying then somehow the ghoul wasn't normal...or wasn't a ghoul and something she didn't know about. She'd have to call it in and get a hold of a higher up, and this was with the crazy mother who was now involved. She was too tired to knock out the mom and even if she did it would just upset the girl more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did they ever explain in books how Wardens contacted Regional Commanders or anything? Is cellphone too complex for a wizard and get screwed with? It's been a while since I read the books.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-06-04 at 08:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, wardens are usually very powerful wizards, so cell phones are straight out. Rotary phones work fine. If Amber wanted to go up the chain of command, she'd call her regional commander. That position is currently filled by...oh crap...Harry Dresden. Hey, I did say he current story time is right after White Knight correct?
    Now, for Doreen's Empathy roll vs Deceit: (4d3-6)[4]

"You all are HORRIBLE liars! That's not a dog, that you...YOU...I own lingerie that you've modeled! I saw one one a billboard just a few days ago. WHO ARE you people? Is my daughter going to be alright? Christ, I need to get her to a hospital and see if that...THING infected my daughter with some disease."

Uh oh. If the daughter IS infected by some wierdness and the hospital people start investigating...
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-06-04 at 08:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, wardens are usually very powerful wizards, so cell phones are straight out. Rotary phones work fine. If Amber wanted to go up the chain of command, she'd call her regional commander. That position is currently filled by...oh crap...Harry Dresden. Hey, I did say he current story time is right after White Knight correct?

Now, for Doreen's Empathy roll vs Deceit: [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show
    err crap, should have hit refresh before editing. sorry edited something in my last post. Can I target the same aspect in a different roll? IE: Tag the mega ultra tired with my free tag for the veil and invoke the mega ultra tired (giving her a fate point and spending one myself for the deceit?

If I can't double tag then yeah, she figured it out and oh crap lol
    Last edited by Major; 2012-06-04 at 08:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    -If I can target an aspect a second time (since its a second roll) I'd like to spend a fate point to invoke the Mega-Ultra Tired. Her brain is exhausted so its less likely to pick up on a lie. I'd like the +2 to my deceit roll. Now...if its too late to use the free tag for the veil, I'll just use the tag here then instead of spending a fate point
    Don't bother spending the free tag on the Illusion. The number isn't high enough. You can use it here, to get a total of +4, vs Doreen's +4 on her Empathy. The tie means she believes the lie for a *short* while and then she'll start asking questions again as she re-thinks the facts.

If you do, I will edit what Doreen says.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-06-04 at 08:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't bother spending the free tag on the Illusion. The number isn't high enough. You can use it here, to get a total of +4, vs Doreen's +4 on her Empathy. The tie means she believes the lie for a *short* while and then she'll start asking questions again as she re-thinks the facts.

If you do, I will edit what Doreen says.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I'll refrain from retcon when the deceit is barely enough I'll just forget it and go with plan two...

Amber sighs and rubs her face, this was going to get difficult, but if she had to get the daughter looked at by another wizard she'd have to let the mother know things anyways.

"Screw it..." She says turning and pointing her finger at the chain, "Souffle de l'esprit" She chants and fires the magic spirit attack at the chain. She then looks back at the mother. "Ma'am, I'm going to give you one warning. If I tell you the truth it's not going to sound believable and is going to put you in more danger than not knowing. Now, I'm willing to tell you the truth, but I'm willing to save your daughter either way." She says, "The question you need to make right now is are you sure you want to know the truth?"

Spoiler
    Show

Rote spell: So discipline only to aim the Weapon: 7 attack.
    (4d6)[1][3][4][3](11) +7
    total: 6

Taking mild mental consequence: Headache
    1/4 Mental stress remaining
    (1 vampire, 1 ghoul, 1 veil, 1 Doreen)
    Last edited by Major; 2012-06-04 at 08:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Brando already broke the chain, so Amber doesn't need to do this unless she wants to show off magic some more.

"Mommy, what's going on?" asks the scared little girl.

Doreen replies, "Don't worry my little darling. I'm always here for you." Then, she starts reloading her M2-Tactical as she responds to Amber. "This involves my daughter's safety...tell me EVERYTHING relevant." She looks extremely determined.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando makes a pitiful inpression of a dog during the whole thing

PITIFUL

And then he just look sad it didn't work...

Oh well, once Doreen makes her decision he blasts it all to hell. Approaching Grim, he shifts back, and asks for his clothes back.

Once garbed, he starts doing some doctoring. Checking on up the girl for injuries and other stuff that he might notice from here

He doesn't bother with talking or answering to anything. Priorities and all that

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling my Scholarship
    [roll]4d3-3[/roll]
    Last edited by DukeGod; 2012-06-04 at 08:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post
    Brando makes a pitiful inpression of a dog during the whole thing

PITIFUL

And then he just look sad it didn't work...

(EDIT: Oops, post. I'm changing things a bit since she made her decisionm gimme a minute)
    If you change back, you'll probably be naked.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You need to re-roll your Scholarship, since it didn't actually roll.
    When Brando shapeshifts back into man-form, the little girl starts screaming. Doreen says, "Explain, NOW!" In fact, she probably won't let Brando near Stacy until she has had *some* explanation.