New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures V: THIS IS STUPID

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    Paradox Space is outside the temporal universe, it allows travel between sessions giving the means to leave ones session and travel to another. It's what the guys on the meteor are doing. It doesn't have to, all one has to do is reach the Medium (which we know is possible) and leave.

I'm Sorry I Thought That Was Obvious. Since Were You Under The Impression It Was Any Different?
    How do people get into the Medium? So far I can think of four ways: appearifier (frogs), totems (players), teleporters (carapacians, and only used by individuals with Bec's prototyping), and abusing the heck out of the fourth wall (by a god tier space witch who probably inherited some powers from a First Guardian, and we're not even certain where hussie's or Doc's abodes are relative to the Medium). Traveling between sessions is impressive, but it's still all in the Medium, bending conventions without actually breaking them.

And the only ways out are described to be exile and meteors. And since there will be no reckonings there will be no meteors.

Our Condesce is described as a witch but isn't likely a space hero (her described powers are more life-based). Nor is she traveling alone/small group, as required by totems, appearifiers, and teleporters.

You're probably right, though. Especially now that we've learned that the Batterwitch is already quite familiar with Lord English. With his backing, there's practically no limit on the shenanigans the Condesce can get away with.

Personally I just felt that the whole GDRA theory fit Hussie's overall style of maintaining themes and motifs throughout the story so far - numbers, the combo system, the very systematic structure of how the names, colors, handles, and histories of the kids... <Blank> Double Reach Around was a fairly common element in the trolls' story, I doubt it's an element that's going to be completely abandoned - just ignored until the audience forgets about it, then brought back to wreck your theories like a sober clown.

Also guys, plain and simple:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WELCOME TO THE CARNIVAL
    brother
    HONK >:O)
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-24 at 10:32 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Also" Jane is wearing god tier outfit. Huh.
    You mean Jade? I thought that was just her long, grey hair.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    You mean Jade? I thought that was just her long, grey hair.
    Oh. Its just that like Panstkat it gave me the wrong impression.

Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    How do people get into the Medium?
    Dude, everyone is already in The Medium. That space that Skaia, Prospit, Derse, The Planets and The Veil are in is The Medium. After that all you need is a means to fly around. Past the Veil is the Furthest Ring which is another name for Paradox Space (inhabited by the Horrorterrors), which is the space between sessions that anyone can travel through. No shenanigans required, although technically travelling through Paradox Space is shenanigans of its own since Space-Time becomes unpredictable.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dude, everyone is already in The Medium. That space that Skaia, Prospit, Derse, The Planets and The Veil are in is The Medium. After that all you need is a means to fly around. Past the Veil is the Furthest Ring which is another name for Paradox Space (inhabited by the Horrorterrors), which is the space between sessions that anyone can travel through. No shenanigans required, although technically travelling through Paradox Space is shenanigans of its own since Space-Time becomes unpredictable.
    Okay... Yeah. No problem there. Absolutely none. You're saying the exact same thing I am. We are in total agreement.

There's just one thing:
    Spoiler
    Show

The universes are not part of the Medium, the Medium creates universes. Jane is in the Medium; Dirk, Jake, and Roxy are not. The Black Queen is in the Medium, the Batter Witch is not. And yes, I am wholly aware that both the Black Queen and the Batter Witch are the Condesce. They're just two distinctive roles the queen of trolls takes on in different locales.

Here's what we know of the Condesce. She goes on her little space crusade using the adult trolls and her favorite little Psiion powering the engines of her flag ship. Then the end of the world happens and she hightails it home. She pushes the psiion too hard and he croaks, leaving her a LONG way left to go by traditional FTL. We also know the following things happen to her, but not necessarily the order of events:

* While in transit, Condesce meets the Handmaiden. They have a fight, Condesce wins. Well, they both win and they both lose, in various senses. Handmaiden gets to die at last, Condesce becomes the new favorite henchtroll of Lord English.

* Condesce enters the Medium and takes out the Black Queen and both Kings. She then takes the Black Queen's mantle and uses her agents to start assassinating the Alpha kids. They succeed with Jake, but Roxy's MIA, Dirk is awake, and it's hard to kill a Maid of Life.

* Condesce arrives at Alpha Earth with her flagship converted into an ark, bringing as many lusus creatures as she can with her, including her own. Taking the role of the Batter Witch, she builds up power and influence before revealing herself. Alpha Jade flicks her off and goes on to live a full life, before the Batter Witch kills her and attempts to blow Jake up while he's still little. Alpha Dave and Alpha Rose attempt to fight as well, and are killed. Alpha John screws off and becomes a comedian reputed to be the sweetest guy in existence. Even the Scratch can't change everything.

Whatever order she takes these roles, it places her in the Post-Scratch Troll Universe, Post-Scratch Kid Universe, and the Medium. That requires at least two universe hops, with her having her flagship in both Universes, lusus cargo intact. Since popping between Universes is not exactly a small thing, and neither is getting into or out of the Medium, the question becomes how she pulls it off.

It becomes much easier if the two Post-Scratch Universes are, in fact, one. Namely, the universe Jade bred, and will presumably complete in the new session. Then she can get between Alternia and Earth simply by expending time (and she has plenty of that between her highblood status, potential Life aspect, and the "perks" of being Lord English's minion). Since she's (so far) been only displayed as alone in the Medium, a teleporter is more than sufficient to explain her presence in the Medium. It all fits together quite neatly that way (which is frankly a point against it), and has the added bonus of making Jade Karkat's god as well as the oft stated vice-versa.

Of course, adding Lord English to the mix makes things simple as well. We have no idea what he's capable of besides being evil, good at killing, and aces at already being here. Saying "English Did It" could excuse it all with three words.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-24 at 02:02 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

we're not even certain where hussie's or Doc's abodes are relative to the Medium
    Isn't it on Alternia's green moon? Well Doc's abode is at least, Hussie took up residence when he got control of the narrative back.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-04-24 at 02:08 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Isn't it on Alternia's green moon? Well Doc's abode is at least, Hussie took up residence when he got control of the narrative back.
    You raise a very good point.The green room was definitely on the green moon. I'm less certain of Hussie's, though. His Spades Slick is post-Snowman, so either the "end of the universe" thing was metaphorical or the Huss has his house somewhere else.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You raise a very good point.The green room was definitely on the green moon. I'm less certain of Hussie's, though. His Spades Slick is post-Snowman, so either the "end of the universe" thing was metaphorical or the Huss has his house somewhere else.
    Yhea, you might be right about Hussie's being elsewhere, I assumed from lord English being their they were still in Doc's.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Banned

Okay... Yeah. No problem there. Absolutely none. You're saying the exact same thing I am. We are in total agreement.
    I know all this. It just sounded like you were asking something different. One can't easily tell by your tone and posture you were being rhetorical. Look, it's really not that hard to enter or leave, there's no barriers around the Medium. One can simply fly in or out. Now, where the Medium is in relation to the observable universe is a different story. Entering from their is rather interesting, presumably because one would have to reach the edge of the universe...somehow.

I'm sticking with my theory that Hussie is dead and is in a dream bubble.
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-04-24 at 04:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I know all this. It just sounded like you were asking something different. One can't easily tell by your tone and posture you were being rhetorical. Look, it's really not that hard to enter or leave, there's no barriers around the Medium. One can simply fly in or out. Now, where the Medium is in relation to the observable universe is a different story. Entering from their is rather interesting, presumably because one would have to reach the edge of the universe...somehow.

I'm sticking with my theory that Hussie is dead and is in a dream bubble.
    Okay, first, I have to say I mean no ill will, nor intend to be anything other than precise and perhaps a little weary of always failing to properly communicate.

I went through everything in that level of detail because I wanted to find the disconnect between our perspectives, such as what you would argue. It would appear the difference is simply a matter of definition of the word "universe". From what I'm reading, it would appear your definition of the word is closer to what I'd refer to as a "galaxy". Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

My definition of "universe" is a set of measurable dimensions with no limits. It is physically impossible to leave the universe through mundane means - there's always more space to travel through and there's always more time, even if there's not always anything "interesting" in the expanse of space or time before you. A ship cannot simply fly from one universe to another, no matter how patient (and eternal) the traveler. However, it is possible to step out of a universe, possibly with insolent ease, by exploiting previously undefined dimensions.

My definition of "galaxy" (and possibly your definition of "universe") is a set of measurable dimensions limited to the minimum possible ranges necessary to contain everything "interesting". The universe ends once there's nothing left to define it. All space beyond the edge of the universe is empty and indistinguishable, all time beyond the end of the universe has no perceivable change to differentiate it. There can be additional universes in the same space-time, but the dead spaces between render them functionally distinct despite not being technically distinct. By this definition, if you travel long enough, it is possible to leave one universe, traverse dead space, end then enter another universe, though the time and patience required to accomplish this would likely be beyond the scope of human comprehension.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying all of the universes exist in the same space-time as the Medium, and that the only difficulties in travelling between them is the ability to navigate the rim of the Medium and the time required to traverse the distance. Am I portraying your perspective fairly?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-24 at 06:11 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Banned

...yes pretty much, although I would argue the discrepancy between our definitions of universe to a digression. The err on my end is it would be more accurate to say that all universe exist in Paradox Space, it being the bizarre technically not spacetime where physical laws are unreliable. The Medium is simply the boundary between the distinct temporal reality of a Session (which is also the universe) and the obtuseness of the Furthest Ring. The methods of entering the Medium of ones own universe is currently unknown there can be no argument on this. What I am saying is that once within your Medium travelling to another Universe's Medium simply requires a means of propulsion, no shenanigans involved, no special time majyyks needed. I'm not saying entering the Medium can be done mundanely, whatever means the game uses for players is certainly not. What I thought you were saying is that she needed fantastic means to leave the universe, which I am saying is no true because we have seen relatively mundane ways to do so; mainly your citation of meteors being used to leave the universe, when they have never done so.
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-04-24 at 09:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, it's not that complicated.

The universe is a giant frog, with a shape and a body. IO is saying that if it has a shape and a body, then it must be able to "break out" from within it.

The medium is everything between skia and Derse, or possibly everything that is not inside a universe, i'm not quite sure.

The outer rim is where the horrorterrors live, time and space are chaotic here, and it's possible to go in and travel for five thousand years in a perfectly straight line only to wind up back where you started before you even left. But it is ALSO possible, as we are witnessing, to travel from one session to annother by exploiting it, as it is the common thing that borders sessions. If you can somehow navigate through it, you could potentually travel to any session you wish at any time you want, mucking things up for the unsuspecting players.

Paradox space is everything, EVERYTHING everything, all of homestuck is paradox space, paradox space essentially replaces the word "universe" when talking about the way things work in a work of fiction. For example when talking about bending in avatar the last airbender, one would say "in the avatar universe, laws of physics are different or something." However we cannot say that in homestuck, because homestuck literally consists of more then one universe, taking the shape of giant frogs. So in replacement of that, we have paradox space, which is everything, be it universe, outer rim, medium, planet, or whatever else. it is simply a broader term used to replace the word "universe" since we are quite clearly dealing with more then one.

When rose says "how in all of paradox space can you be so dumb" she is not referring to the outer rim in which she is traveling, it's essentially the same as saying "how in the world can you be so dumb", claiming that despite infinite possibility in infinite areas, it is impossible for her to conceive the fact that Dave was just very dumb before she spoke.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-04-24 at 11:54 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Banned

I. Know. All. That. The Why are you saying guys when the only one that has trouble getting that is Calemyr?
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-04-25 at 12:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

From now on Its officially Hopywoodoo.

Also: Chains of both secret trolls along with some person wielding Scratches revolver.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-04-25 at 12:48 AM.
    A little condescending

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I. Know. All. That. The Why are you saying guys when the only one that has trouble getting that is Calemyr?
    Obviously I don't get it. Because if the universes are confined inside the frogs, they aren't contiguous to the outer rim of the Medium, they're contained inside. And then traveling into and out of the Medium would require penetrating the frog's skin, which seems a little more complicated than being "obviously" capable for mundane modes of travel, even FTL. And since she has remained quite active in both settings in the days before Jane's jump, that would mean either some time shenanigans or that she has quick and reliable transport.

I believe I understand the whole piercing the frogskin concept, though I don't think it's as simple as you're portraying it to be. But what I'm failing to understand is how it's so absolutely obvious that no other interpretation has any merit. If you have evidence to support this stance, please let me know. I would have my ignorance amended immediately.

And, Draconi Redfir, I understand what you're saying about Paradox Space. Paradox Space is the whole enchilada, yeah. I got that, never argued that. But iO's previous post makes it clear that while Paradox Space is the end-all-be-all-full-monty, the Medium is not. The Medium is just a bunch of sessions and their related set pieces, part of Paradox Space but not the whole of it.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-25 at 01:27 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Also: Chains of both secret trolls along with some person wielding Scratches revolver.
    Some person with grey skin and UU/uu's clothes (I could be wrong here). So it could be UU/uu or costumed Hussie.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

Most likely Uu as whenever hussie paints himself the color, some of the paint scratches off.

Also: Costume of complacency of the learned. There are secrets in that book.
    A little condescending

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Dwarf in the Playground

Obviously I don't get it. Because if the universes are confined inside the frogs, they aren't contiguous to the outer rim of the Medium, they're contained inside. And then traveling into and out of the Medium would require penetrating the frog's skin, which seems a little more complicated than being "obviously" capable for mundane modes of travel, even FTL. And since she has remained quite active in both settings in the days before Jane's jump, that would mean either some time shenanigans or that she has quick and reliable transport.

I believe I understand the whole piercing the frogskin concept, though I don't think it's as simple as you're portraying it to be. But what I'm failing to understand is how it's so absolutely obvious that no other interpretation has any merit. If you have evidence to support this stance, please let me know. I would have my ignorance amended immediately.

And, Draconi Redfir, I understand what you're saying about Paradox Space. Paradox Space is the whole enchilada, yeah. I got that, never argued that. But iO's previous post makes it clear that while Paradox Space is the end-all-be-all-full-monty, the Medium is not. The Medium is just a bunch of sessions and their related set pieces, part of Paradox Space but not the whole of it.
    Universes are infinite on the inside, because they use Zeno's concept of space rather than Euclid's. Come to think of it, this is appropriate considering Zeno's famous paradoxes concerning space, time and frogs.
    Last edited by Barefoot Monkey; 2012-04-25 at 08:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Banned

At least, what I was arguing is that it has never been elaborated upon in the comic, you can leave your universe by leaving the frog, but technically the Medium is outside your universe as well. I am arguing because I do not know why you are asking a question no one knows the answer to and I believed you were referring to leaving to another through the Universe, which we know in a rather straightforward manner how to do.

We know she has Time Majyyk but at this juncture there's not much evidence how it comes into play. I do at least believe that until shown otherwise, she did not need time power aided travel since Paradox space could easily leave one arriving at point B before you leave point A, which is the other point I was arguing, she just had to make the journey, no further aid needed.

But, all in all I shall drop the subject because at least to my knowledge, all else is conjecture (I notice neither of us cited our arguments throughout this ordeal).

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    Universes are infinite on the inside, because they use Zeno's concept of space rather than Euclid's. Come to think of it, this is appropriate considering Zeno's famous paradoxes concerning space, time and frogs.
    That is pretty much my perspective on the matter. In a universe of infinite dimension, speed is immaterial - as is time. You'll never reach the end of the universe because there is always more distance to travel. A spaceship on it's own would never be able to do accomplish it, it'd just be infinity chasing infinity for eternity.

It would take a non-conventional means of travel (portals, teleporters, totems, etc) to exit a universe. To transport a flagship of that size and all its crew and cargo is beyond the scope of the means we've seen with the possible exception of Jade's fourth wall trick - but that's debatable as the location of Huss's hideaway is unclear, nor does the Condesce display any of the special circumstances Jade is under in that case.

At least, what I was arguing is that it has never been elaborated upon in the comic, you can leave your universe by leaving the frog, but technically the Medium is outside your universe as well. I am arguing because I do not know why you are asking a question no one knows the answer to and I believed you were referring to leaving to another through the Universe, which we know in a rather straightforward manner how to do.
    My reading comprehension must be at an all time low, then. I never got any sense of uncertainty from your arguments nor have I ever seen a strip or a author comment suggesting the ability to leave a frog via conventional methods. Unless... are you talking about Noir's Bloody Miles attack on the Pre-Scratch Kids' Universe? I wouldn't agree, but I would accept that as a logical foundation for your argument.

We know she has Time Majyyk but at this juncture there's not much evidence how it comes into play. I do at least believe that until shown otherwise, she did not need time power aided travel since Paradox space could easily leave one arriving at point B before you leave point A, which is the other point I was arguing, she just had to make the journey, no further aid needed.
    Okay, on this part I am pretty sure I do understand you. Maybe I wasn't clear, but I wasn't suggesting there was any funny business when trying to gauge your perspective. Just that it would require a lot of time to make that journey and time is one thing we know Condesce has to spare. She does not, however, have any other abilities at this time (displayed or suggested) that would support non-conventional travel.

But, all in all I shall drop the subject because at least to my knowledge, all else is conjecture (I notice neither of us cited our arguments throughout this ordeal).
    That's actually the point. I did not mean to pretend to be an authority on the matter, I simply saw a pattern that pleased me and thought I'd point it out. It was never more than a theory, one that I thought was complicated enough, clean enough, and ironic enough that it fit the style of the story. I am not saying "Guys, this is gospel!", I am saying "Wouldn't this be cool? And I think it fits, too!".
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-25 at 10:00 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Monkey View Post
    You're referencing the paradox that states "… if everything that exists has a place, place too will have a place, and so on ad infinitum"?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry, but I just have to ask...
    Are we ACTUALLY arguing about the base laws that govern the Homestuck 'verse, the ones that we know are liable to change whenever Hussie wants, it's dramatic enough, or just shenanigans?
    Politics is the most accurate word in the English language. "Poli" in Latin meaning "Many" and
    "tics" meaning "little insects"

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Banned

Hey, at least I'm staying within canon, not trying to bring "reality" into the situation.

Also this.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

Calemyr! You seem like a pretty decent dude! Props to you.

This argument is very silly. Let's talk about poor alpha Jade.

Poor alpha Jade. :'( I hope the Condesce gets what's coming to her, I do.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mizzim View Post
    Sorry, but I just have to ask...
    Are we ACTUALLY arguing about the base laws that govern the Homestuck 'verse, the ones that we know are liable to change whenever Hussie wants, it's dramatic enough, or just shenanigans?
    Yeah, to some degree. Personally, I'm just enjoying having something fun to do while I wait for my boss to assign me new projects and finding the debate to be interesting. Plus, if I missed something in the comic that renders my theory invalid (which is certainly possible, particularly during events like the picture book in Doc Scratch's room - I missed a lot there the first time through), I'm not going to hear about it if I don't push the argument.

And while Paradox Space is wild and weird and driven by one man's fancy, that doesn't mean it's not coherent. Narrative can take breaks from reality, but it has to fit together or it falls apart. This isn't Dominic Deegan, for crying out loud. This is a weird, but well-crafted story. In the long run, the pieces need to fit.

And the first rule of narrative is a variation on Occam's razor, otherwise known as conservation of detail: unless it explicitly interferes with canon rules of the setting, the familiar can be assumed. You don't spend time explaining gravity for a story, unless there are fundamental differences or plot-related aspects, because we're already familiar with the concept. The trick is to hold the familiar loosely, and not to hold on to it in the face of contradictory canon.

So I apologize if I'm coming off as an argumentative fool. I like a good debate, particularly a good-natured debate. I believed I was having one here.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Banned

Guys, how close is this song to dubstep? It's a great piece, I'm jus askin

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Ehh, i'm conflicted about how i feel about the empress.

On one hand, by human standards she is clearly an evil woman with nothing but evil intent.

On the other hand, my mind is currently inhabited by at least three... no... four, trolls who love and adore their empress and would jump at the chance to defend her honour, and see all of her experiments as perfectly suitable for trying to revive their species.

And on the gripping hand, i just really hate the little side-story she's tied to. you know the one.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Ehh, i'm conflicted about how i feel about the empress.

On one hand, by human standards she is clearly an evil woman with nothing but evil intent.

On the other hand, my mind is currently inhabited by at least three... no... four, trolls who love and adore their empress and would jump at the chance to defend her honour, and see all of her experiments as perfectly suitable for trying to revive their species.

And on the gripping hand, i just really hate the little side-story she's tied to. you know the one.
    Do you mean the Sufferer mythos? My biggest problem with that is what it suggests about Nepeta and Karkat. Preempting that was not the worst of his crimes by far, but it's the one I hold against Gamzee most.

I definitely agree with the emotional conflict regarding Condesce, though. I read her as a woman warped by her own upbringing and ethnocentricity. She was spoon-fed a line of trash that told her that blood color was the final determination of personal worth until she genuinely believed it. Convincing a ruler that they inherently superior due to a arbitrary marker makes it easy for the ruler to see her subjects as disposable resources and not the foundation of her power and purpose.

I think she really did care about the psiion but was simply too screwed up by then to handle it properly. I also believe she cared for her people, in her warped way, because a lot of her actions after Karkat's session started have felt like a desperate attempt to salvage as much of her people and culture as she possibly could.

And if there's one thing she did right, it was her war of conquest - though not for the reasons she likely had for the action. By taking all adults with her, she unintentionally allowed the younger trolls to grow up without the lion's share of bad influence the culture carried. If Feferei had been brought up like the Condesce, I doubt she would have become the sweet young woman whose life was cut short too soon by a man defined by hope yet bereft of it.

I am curious to see her in action, I have to say. Meenah and Aranea raise interesting suggestions regarding her and, if I am reading it at all right, I would imagine she'll demonstrate a "by any means necessary" approach to goals similar to how Meenah "saved" her entire group by brutally murdering everyone - allowing them to sleep safely in dream bubbles rather than being wiped from existence during the scratch.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Titan in the Playground

Do you mean the Sufferer mythos? My biggest problem with that is what it suggests about Nepeta and Karkat. Preempting that was not the worst of his crimes by far, but it's the one I hold against Gamzee most.
    No no, that one i adore entirely. It's the side-story involving a certain demon named after a popular spoken language i have a problem with.

I definitely agree with the emotional conflict regarding Condesce, though. I read her as a woman warped by her own upbringing and ethnocentricity. She was spoon-fed a line of trash that told her that blood color was the final determination of personal worth until she genuinely believed it. Convincing a ruler that they inherently superior due to a arbitrary marker makes it easy for the ruler to see her subjects as disposable resources and not the foundation of her power and purpose.
    Well i wouldn't really call it "Trash" personally, it's just their beliefs, saying its messed up and wrong is like calling another culture who removes of their dead by raised funeral pyre rather then burying the whole body messed up and wrong, it's just a conflict of beliefs and saying they are wrong is just being intolerant.

I do believe the Caste exists for a reason though, perhaps not for the one that is enforced, but for one nonetheless. We know higher castemembers live longer, it could always be the hemospectrum was put into place to celebrate that or something

I think she really did care about the psiion but was simply too screwed up by then to handle it properly. I also believe she cared for her people, in her warped way, because a lot of her actions after Karkat's session started have felt like a desperate attempt to salvage as much of her people and culture as she possibly could.
    Likewise, i have a hard time believing she spent several thousand years traveling at light speed back to her home planet just to laugh at all the dead people. She was flying home to try and save her world, that's what Scratch said isn't it? She only arrived late because her helmsman and the entirety of her fleet and crew were killed off in the vast glub.

Plus as we have seen, she has tried to clone her species back from extinction, when that didn't work, she tried to genetically alter the one that lived their to be as much like her own as possible. When THAT didn't work, she tried several other things before finally giving up and settling on being the queen of a sub-par but still slightly insectoid species that while loyal was pretty dense.

Saying the empress didn't care about her people, or that her people didn't like her, i believe is akin to saying a mother doesn't care about her children, and that her children dont care about her.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, well, I find myself caring more about her genociding the human race trying to turn them back into trolls and really just not caring about them to be rather heavy slashes against her. She's also been cruel to the carapaces! That's terrible.

Also Draconi I love Lord English and I will never stop loving that guy.