New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Banned

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures V: THIS IS STUPID

I'm considering now that while Jake is very gullible this is because he is rather optimistic, hopeful even. This makes me think Dirk's training will be a problem since, instead of helping him he's destroying Jake's essence of being as the Page of Hope, pushing him further away from his Myth arc.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ettin in the Playground

Holy crap:

It should also at least be noted that the ONE PERSON that the KNIGHT OF BLOOD tried to revive subsequently rose as a vampire Rainbow Drinker.
    In case anybody didn't think about it yet.

And yeah. Dirks a kinda a jerk. I hope his character arc will not be "taking help from others" (One of the most annoying and insulting arcs in fiction. I have never seen a version that was good) but learning to let others be:

He enforces himself onto others, trying to make them more like him instead of helping others BE themselfs.

Create a bot that HELPS Jake with his shooting. Make him an awesome gun! Don't make a bot that discourages it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm inclined to think that the Prince class has a myth arc where they learn they're not as awesome as they think they are.

Eridan thought he was all awesome and stuff and based off of Orphaner Dualscar, but then his entire arc was him getting shot down in every way.

I think Dirk will have a similar thing. I'm just hoping he doesn't go the same way.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    I'm considering now that while Jake is very gullible this is because he is rather optimistic, hopeful even. This makes me think Dirk's training will be a problem since, instead of helping him he's destroying Jake's essence of being as the Page of Hope, pushing him further away from his Myth arc.
    I wouldn't doubt it, especially because Dirk feels to me like the new iteration of Vriska, i.e. a person who's self-estimation is dangerously overblown, which is saying something impressive considering their exceptional competence. Remember that Vriska has tried to suggest that her behavior with Tavros was also intended to "toughen him up". Dirk may have the absolute best of intentions and still end up creating a monster that makes Eridan's breakdown resemble a toddler temper tantrum in comparison.

Of course, one of the things that makes Homestuck so interesting is that Hussie seems to have absolutely no interest in conservation of detail. He will spend months, years lovingly crafting an intricate thread in the plot, just to cut it short, and he will fill our heads with meaningless trivia that ends up becoming absolutely meaningless until it suddenly becomes absolutely vital without changing gears at all - or maybe it doesn't. There's a haunting semblance of logic and structure that hovers on the edge of vision like a mirage or maybe an oasis. And in the end what misdirects us is our own preconceptions and rationalizations rather than outright lies.

It's beautiful.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ettin in the Playground

So its a cycle:

Dave needed to stop worrying about being behind everybody else and becomes his future timeselfs

Dirk needs to get that he isn't as good as he thinks he is, and stop showing off, and learn to ACTUALLY help others rather then to just do annoying stuff to them.
    A little condescending

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ettin in the Playground

Hum, remember Gamzee's "potions" and how each was supposed to give the traits/powers of the associated troll? Perhaps highbloods can drink the blood of other trolls to inherit their powers. Which would mean everything Gamzee said about the potions in that flash could be true...
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Okay, Jake's officially hopeless in a completely different way than Eridan.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

i'm pretty sure there is no "merging" or anything for trolls. Gamzee just stole the timetables and used them, they are mechanical, and just like any one of us can use a remote, he eventually figured out and mastered them.

As for the Empress’s powers, that would be her tweaking with her own genetics. the powers we have seen her use are used by other trolls, therefore it should be theoretically possible to unlock those abilities in her own troll genes.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    the Condesce with the Summoner's beast mastery. Can trolls... fuse? Can they inherit traits from other trolls?
    It was stated that the Condesce preformed some experiments and stuff so that she had access to all the powers of the trolls. Note that she also seems to be lifting the Statue of Liberty with telekinesis. It has quite a few artifacts around it though so it could be the Statue of LibAIRty and is floating off in to the sky.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

If you look at her headband, it's alternating between Gemini, Taurus and Aries.

So it's probably a combination of Sollux and Aradia's powers allowing her to lift the statue.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    It was stated that the Condesce preformed some experiments and stuff so that she had access to all the powers of the trolls. Note that she also seems to be lifting the Statue of Liberty with telekinesis. It has quite a few artifacts around it though so it could be the Statue of LibAIRty and is floating off in to the sky.
    It's stated that it's part English's influence and part the result of her experiments, but it doesn't state the method of experimentation nor it's conclusion. Only the fruits. It's an idle theory anyhow, something to while away the time while we await the answers to the questions being lined up now.

Just to be sure I've got it right, however: low bloods tend to have a lot more psychic power, but also tend to have a much greater vulnerability to it. High bloods are nigh immune to psychic abilities, but have enough psychoses to balance the books anyway. For instance, Aradia and Sollux are incredibly powerful and Tavros should be, judging from the Summoner and how Vriska used him as an amplifier/converter during her attack on Terezi. Vriska's ability is pretty weak, but she is skilled enough to use it very effectively. But none of the green bloods display any psychic ability and Terezi's resistance (despite being lower on the spectrum) is still to high for Vriska to influence unaided. Do I have that right?

One other question: John still has Bunnykind as specibus, right? Has he ever used it? How ridiculously powerful would a god tier John be with Lil Seb as a weapon?
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

One other question: John still has Bunnykind as specibus, right? Has he ever used it? How ridiculously powerful would a god tier John be with Lil Seb as a weapon?
    Difficult to say, especially since his current weapon is the combination of so many ultimate weapons it still might not be an upgrade.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Banned

If Heirs bring out their Aspect in others it would make sense that John became a comedian Post-Scratch. Making people laugh is the only way to create more Breath in others. A lot of guessers over at the MSPAforums believe Breath is associated with laughter, I'm thinking that's the only reason it is, because our only demonstrated Breath powers was from John.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If Heirs bring out their Aspect in others it would make sense that John became a comedian Post-Scratch. Making people laugh is the only way to create more Breath in others. A lot of guessers over at the MSPAforums believe Breath is associated with laughter, I'm thinking that's the only reason it is, because our only demonstrated Breath powers was from John.
    Actually, I was thinking slightly differently. To use the phrasing of the classes, it would be: "Uses [Aspect] to bring out untapped potential in others." So yes, humor (or levity?) would make Poppop's career a good fit, but I think his good nature also is part of it. Between being light-hearted and kind, John's influence on people brings out things that aren't normally visible.

Vriska displays guilt over her actions and a desire to be an honest hero for once, or at least to atone for her sins with her death. Rose only properly falls into grimdark status once she loses contact with John. Karkat calms down and matures with eerie quickness once he begins contacting John. Terezi, who never actually considered failure an option, is actually driven to tears actually shows regret when she realizes her actions killed John and it was only Dave's interference that saved him in the proper timeline.

One other thing is that, while Tavros and John are both kind and gentle souls, they are also both tied to Pupa Pan (John has that as an Echeladder rung, Tavros is literally dressed like the guy at one point). The flight mechanic in Peter Pan is happy thoughts. What if Breath could also be described as joy or happiness or refreshment (like a breath of fresh air)?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-30 at 01:09 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, its kinda comforting that John remains a nice goofball. Even when raised by an evil Psychotic alien overlord he remains a kind and fun guy.

Thats just so....comforting in a way.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Terezi, who never actually considered failure an option, is actually driven to tears when she realizes her actions killed John and it was only Dave's interference that saved him in the proper timeline.

She was driven to tears after seeing Bec kill a doomed Dave, and she had to kill john in a doomed timeline because if she didnt then davesprite wouldn't exist.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    She was driven to tears after seeing Bec kill a doomed Dave, and she had to kill john in a doomed timeline because if she didnt then davesprite wouldn't exist.
    Ah, must have gotten them mixed up. Sorry. And while John's death was necessary, feeling bad about it would have been a departure for her. She did display such emotion, didn't she? Can't check at the moment.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Im pretty sure she killed John because she wanted some justice, not because of Davesprite.

I like terezi but she isn't a hugs and licks.
    A little condescending

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Im pretty sure she killed John because she wanted some justice, not because of Davesprite.

I like terezi but she isn't a hugs and licks.
    Correct. I am sure, at least, that Terezi didn't know about the whole sans-John timeline at all. When Dave explains it to her, she's observably shaken. As she took their future conversations as definitive proof her trolling couldn't kill him.

Dave (or was it Davesprite) explains that the whole stunt was necessary to create Davesprite (and to keep Cal from being expended in the prototyping, but nobody knows that). I could have sworn she acknowledged the necessity but admitted to still being being bothered by getting him killed, but I also had the image of Terezi crying tied to that event in my head, so I am not entirely certain.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Banned

I like terezi but she isn't all hugs and licks.
    Justice for what? The only thing I can think of is prototyping Bec. Which leaves me unsure of whether or not she knew the Vriska caused that, or at least found out eventually. Even then, her justice wouldn't save anyone.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ettin in the Playground

Justice for what? The only thing I can think of is prototyping Bec. Which leaves me unsure of whether or not she knew the Vriska caused that, or at least found out eventually. Even then, her justice wouldn't save anyone.
    In alternia Im sure that petty revenge is the same as justice.
    A little condescending

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think the justice would be generally in regards to the kids creating Bec Noir and then setting him against the trolls in their moment of victory. It was still early in the kids' timeline, so they still were very sore about going from a step away from godhood to cowering in an asteroid on the veil all because some idiots in another session let Jack get a ring and had the prototyped a first guardian on top of it all. Yeah, in that light there was a justification of justice.

But remember that Terezi's sense of justice is a troll sense of justice. It isn't about protecting the innocent, it's about punishing the guilty. Some cultures would rather risk the guilty going free than an innocent be unjustly punished. Trolls aren't like that.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Banned

In alternia Im sure that petty revenge is the same as justice.
    I don't remember saying it wasn't?

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't remember saying it wasn't?
    "Even then, Her justice wouldn't change anything"

Just said that.
    A little condescending

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Banned

Okay. I wasn't asking what Troll justice was, I was just asking if my guess was right.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Funny, I could have sworn Terezi had no real idea she was actually going to kill John there. After all, other people had talked to him afterwords.

*looks up conversation* Yeah, she knew it wouldn't really kill him. I guess she might have been a bit calous about the altered timeline... But frankly, altered timeline people are doomed. At least the doomed John's death wasn't drawn out or super painful or anything.

There's nothing about justice in that. Then again, Terezi's characterization was a lot less fleshed out then.

EDIT: Drat, forgot my original reason for posting here. Soo... Jailbreak callback? Did not see that one coming.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-04-30 at 08:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

Courtyard Droll is the most adorable thing since sliced bread.

Yes, I realize that doesn't make sense.

He's so adorable that I don't care.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

A little condescending

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

Eeeeeeeeeeee~

Did I mention I freaking love the carapacians? Because I freaking love them and now they are center stage and it is awesone eeeeeeeee~

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Eeeeeeeeeeee~

Did I mention I freaking love the carapacians? Because I freaking love them and now they are center stage and it is awesone eeeeeeeee~
    I don't know. But I'm going to have to join you in eeeeeeeee~ing. That was adorable. CD, you are the best.