New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures V: THIS IS STUPID

Well, we know that Jake English is someone who has a lot of untapped potential.

Enough to be a time-travelling universe ending demon, perhaps?
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uh...very likely. Especialy for this tale"

That way it won't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there was that one pesterlog after [S] Jade: Enter where John was talking to Jade and said that if Jade's grandfather had gotten prototyped, it would've been the worst thing ever to fight as a final boss, or something along those lines.

Also, Scowling Dragon, maybe you should chill a little on the subject of hate-based societies and Dirk's methods of training/friendship/etc and such? Because, uh, you seem to be getting very invested in those conversations.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Oh wow.

Hussie, are you implying what I think you're implying?

Because if so...
    I've been pondering that possibility for quite some time.

Makes me wonder... Has Lord English actually DONE anything bad beyond taking a gun to Hussie?

Which, y'know, might not be all that bad in the long run...
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    Makes me wonder... Has Lord English actually DONE anything bad beyond taking a gun to Hussie?
    He roughed up Ms. Paint!

(Also destroyed the HussBot)
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    (Also destroyed the HussBot)
    Doesn't count. If there's one thing video games have taught me, it's that violence doesn't count when it's against robots, the undead, insectoids, or nazis.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ettin in the Playground

Hes the mastermind behind 2 destroyed universes and the alternate realities.
    A little condescending

8. - Top - End - #1238

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    And what is his ultimate goal?
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ettin in the Playground

Tum tum TUUUUM!

We don't know. But he is pretty evil.
    A little condescending

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Technically, Scratch arranged that in order to summon him. Of course, given Lord English's predilection for preemptive locality (he's already here), he may well have orchestrated his own creation.

I'm still curious about Lord English's time travel being so important. Dave and Aradia were very active time travelers and they doomed themselves more often than not, while Lord English's time travel seems to render himself inevitable. Why? Is it because English has time traveled to before his creation/summoning, because Dave and Aradia never interfered with their own creation...
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I remember, he is eating dead universes, so his goal might summed up as Yum!
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Lord English instructed Scratch to bring about his awakening. Scratch's method of doing so, accentuating Vriska's cruelty, shaping Kanaya's early life, causing Gamzee to flip out, puts him as the main antagonistic force so far. The Condesce, who is rapidly gaining on the now deceased Scratch, also takes order from English.

Basically, the guys who are going to be the ultimate villains of this comic are all on team English, with him as the organizer of it all. I assume that pretty soon he's going to start committing acts of a vile nature himself, and then we're all going to get down to brass tacks and see a nice, rousing battle between good and evil.

...Man, I'm rambly. >_<

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

In the same way your heart is the mastermind behind your own death.

Baisically what i'm saying here is that universes are giant frogs, frogs die. He just makes SURE they die so he can eat them and free up room for new universes.

And i highly doubt english and jake are one and the same. you saw dirk's explinaition, his name and computers are to give him the APPEARANCE of english to scare off the batterwitch. not to BECOME him!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-05-10 at 12:20 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

I have no idea what's going to happen/turn out to have happened to Lord English, Jake, Aranea, or anybody else, but all I know is that, sooner or later, being completely taken by surprise, I'll shake my closed fist, in perfect synchronization with countless other Homestuckers, and utter "HUSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE" in front of my monitor.
    That's a feeling I much prefer to embrace before the horrifying surprise hits us all twice as hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    That...doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What point were you trying to make here?

Baisically what i'm saying here is that universes are giant frogs, frogs die. He just makes SURE they die so he can eat them and free up room for new universes.
    The universes would have died eventually on their own, yes, but we've seen that LE is not by any stretch of the imagination just sitting around waiting for them to die. That's something he probably COULD have done, but it's not what he IS doing.

What he IS doing, is manipulating events to bring about the ending of universes long before they would otherwise have died. Saying that he's innocent because those universes would have ended anyways is like saying a murderer is innocent because everyone dies someday.

And i highly doubt english and jake are one and the same. you saw dirk's explinaition, his name and computers are to give him the APPEARANCE of english to scare off the batterwitch. not to BECOME him!
    Are we reading the same story? The fact that he's named English because of Lord English only makes it more likely that Jake becomes LE later on. 90% of Homestuck is made of such self-perpetuating loops.

Personally, I don't think Jake will become LE, but that's only because it seems too obvious.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    That...doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What point were you trying to make here?
    You die when your heart stops beating.

A universe dies when english shows up.

Something happens, and something dies.

The universes would have died eventually on their own, yes, but we've seen that LE is not by any stretch of the imagination just sitting around waiting for them to die. That's something he probably COULD have done, but it's not what he IS doing.

What he IS doing, is manipulating events to bring about the ending of universes long before they would otherwise have died. Saying that he's innocent because those universes would have ended anyways is like saying a murderer is innocent because everyone dies someday.
    How do we know they die of natural causes? Perhaps the death of a universe is slow and painful and he is making it quick and painless. or perhaps universes are functionally immortal and he ensures they cease to exist to allow room for the next generaition. OR. perhaps they DO die of natural causes, and he is simply the end result. like... giving birth on your deathbead?

Are we reading the same story? The fact that he's named English because of Lord English only makes it more likely that Jake becomes LE later on. 90% of Homestuck is made of such self-perpetuating loops.

Personally, I don't think Jake will become LE, but that's only because it seems too obvious.
    I'm reading the story on the top. you're reading the one on the bottom.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

LE vs Frogs: conjecture or canon? I don't remember anything stating that he's doing anything to universes (other than being tied to the green sun)?

It would make an odd bit of sense, though, in balancing out the carapacians. If LE is attracted by frogs, you can bet one faction or another is going to take the stance that frogs should be destroyed on sight...
    Prospit: Help the players give life to a new universe!
    Derse: Stop the players from destroying all local life as a result!

Lord English is a really weird guy. What do we know about him really? Well nothing, it's all conjecture both inside and outside of the story. So far the only thing he did is wreck Hussie's apartment and attack everyone inside.

So what do we think we know?

* He is at one point set up on the Alternian moon. Apparently the pink one, judging from the time Die uses his voodoo doll on Spades Slick during the Act 3 Intermission. During this time he had a crew of green-colored cronies with numerous time-based powers and gadgets. Presumably the "canon" timeline has his mansion leveled and his minions all killed outside of Snowman, who would at the end of Act 5.

* His Cairo Overcoat (and backup he leaves with Stitch) can encase him in a sarcophagus. He disappears the one time he uses this feature, so it's possibly his method of traveling.

* According to Scratch, he lacks Scratch's omniscience, but makes up for it with time travel, even more indestructibility than Scratch, and a well practiced gift for brutality. There's oddly not much indication at all that Lord English has much intellect, actually.

* According to Spades Slick, Lord English cannot be killed except through exploiting glitches and numbers. This is likely to include numbers like 413 and 1025, of course.

* Besides the Felt, Lord English has had three known chief minions: Scratch, Handmaid, and Condesce. Each of them recruited and their replacements and have only left his service upon death. Maybe not even then?

* Condesce hates and/or fears him so strongly that Alpha-Jade was able to use it as a point of leverage by adopting the name.

Are there any other tidbits from the story we know?

As for Jake as Lord English, it's a tough one to call: it's so obvious that it approaches Obfuscated from the wrong direction. The whole naming scheme is a non-issue - this is not a setting where discovering you were named after yourself would mean much. Or that your super villain costume was inspired by clothing designed to be a mockery of the super villain costume that it inspired. These are not deal breakers.

What I find interesting is less if he'll become Lord English and more how he would do so. The cycling colors suggest to me a sense of overload, like he's stuck in a permanent meltdown. The fact that it's colors suggests that it might be... well, social, seeing as all characters are represented by colors. Like maybe he'll ultimately lose/absorb/copy more people than he can mentally handle and it breaks him. (Similar to the Condesce's unlocked potential cycling through relevant symbols when used, only Condesce can stop while Lord English is never seen without the cycling eyes.)
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-05-10 at 01:21 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

How do we know they die of natural causes? Perhaps the death of a universe is slow and painful and he is making it quick and painless. or perhaps universes are functionally immortal and he ensures they cease to exist to allow room for the next generaition. OR. perhaps they DO die of natural causes, and he is simply the end result. like... giving birth on your deathbead?
    You can't prove I killed her, judge! Maybe she just happened to have a heart attack right before I shot her, and that's why she died!
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You die when your heart stops beating.
    Don't you die when your brain stops functioning? (which could be due to the heart no longer pumping blood around the body)
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I was thinking about what the most powerful roles in Homestuck would be.

Prince of Doom sticks out to me because going by the definition its "one who destroys doom, or causes destruction through doom"

Getting rid of Doom or destroying through doom, sounds pretty strong to me.

Seer of Time is probably another good candidate, understanding all the timelines and traveling through them.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post

Prince of Doom sticks out to me because going by the definition its "one who destroys doom, or causes destruction through doom"
    It might look like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Orc in the Playground

Seer of Time is probably another good candidate, understanding all the timelines and traveling through them.
    Really, I pity the teammates of the Prince of Life. If they were lucky, they would still be robbed of their medic class, which sounds crippling enough before you consider the obvious risks.

And I still think the God-tiered Prince of Space would be outrageously powerful, if he would retain Jade's ability to accelerate anything to the speed of light. It would be like facing a relativistic weapon platform with worse hormones.

But I think I'm focusing on the wrong class here (I might be a tiny bit biased), as it is implied that the Prince enters the game much more powerful than his peers but is later overtaken. The Bards are obviously indirectly more powerful, as they influence the entire team, so it's a small wonder their actions can often sink or carry the whole game.

I submit my vote for Bard of Life as greatest party ticking bomb.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-05-10 at 06:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Banned

About the latest potatoes, I know realize how right Draconi was (but it's not like it was illogical to be skeptical) and consider how Scratch pretty much flipped the social order.
    My experience in Skia Net:

WHY
    Aaww
    WHY
    Heh
    WHY
    Aww
    Aww
    Thats too ****ing cutesy
    WHYYYYYYYYYY
    Heh
    WHYYYYYYYYYY
    Even so, skaia is worth a check for finding cool fanart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I end up disliking Dirk because he's so boring. In his big reveal story thing about the future and waterfalls of blood and all that clown jazz, I kinda started skimming after the second huge block of orange, and only looked at the pictures after that. He's simply so droll I end up drifting off. Also I think I accidentally skipped some pages because I don't remember Aranea being introduced/introducing herself.

*loads the crossover cannon*

pchoooooooo
    You know, I rather enjoy the fanart of Dirk and Equius fanboying over MLP. Also Maplehoof and Roxy.
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-05-10 at 09:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Banned

1) Terrible inference, no idea what you are saying

2) Universes do die but guess what? Lord English manipulates time loops to insure his summoning by deliberately ending said universes early,fostering genetically deficient life. Whether or not what he does serves a purpose, in fact all death does, doesn't change the fact that his actions are the cause of many metaphysical deaths. What I am saying, is that Lord English has headed a campaign that has resulted in the pain, suffering and deaths of countless lives, to no end but his own. What you seem to be arguing is that in some form or another he is either a neutral party or some beneficial force. Whether or not Sburb is an antagonist is not the point, the point is that English is doing something antagonistic.

3) Agree wholeheartedly.

25. - Top - End - #1255

If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think UU should be considered an unreliable source. She's knows things we don't and spends more time interpreting HS than any of us, and has built up strong theories about rules and meanings that fit with what she has read, but that's fannon that doesn't necessarily hold for the general case.

Personally I think that the Prince class is for those who impose themselves upon their environment, their allies and their aspect. Eridan hit on pretty much everyone, and when he gave up on hope he felt it necessary to take everyone else's hope with him. When his friends have problems Dirk makes himself part of the problem. Destruction is within the scope of the Prince but not what it is about. PS: Of course, I'm to be considered unreliable too ;)

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Banned

I would just like to say that despite popular unpopular opinion, Sburb is not an antagonist. It is a program, a game, a cyclical law of physics. It has no sentience, impetus or characterization, unlike Lord English it is merely a plot point/device. Lord English on the other hand, is an individual someone whose motivation is discernable.
    Antagonistic
    an·tag·o·nis·tic/anˌtagəˈnistik/
    Adjective:

Showing or feeling active opposition or hostility toward someone or something.
    Of or relating to an antagonist or its action.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Pffft, Lord English is totally the villain. >_>

Also, much as I hate to say it, Egbert isn't the protaganist. He's part of an ensamble cast full of people with equal protaganist-ism, or something.

29. - Top - End - #1259

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    I would just like to say that despite popular unpopular opinion, Sburb is not an antagonist. It is a program, a game, a cyclical law of physics. It has no sentience, impetus or characterization, unlike Lord English it is merely a plot point/device. Lord English on the other hand, is an individual someone whose motivation is discernable.
    it's an antagonist in the same way the town is the antagonist in the silent hill series. everything that happens is because of the game, worlds are destroyed because of it, first guardians are born because of it, gods are formed because of it.

Hell even your favourite time traveling demon here owes his existence to the game.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show