New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures V: THIS IS STUPID

Just hate romance does not follow a natural logic train:

Love based romance does:

First, your friends, then you love each other, then reproduction I guess. You can't harm your partner by LOVING then too much.

Here is how hate normally works:

You dislike somebody, then you hate them, then you want to do bad things to them, then you want them dead.

Troll romance is like normal hate just slap on reproduction instead of the killing. To much hate ends up in a dead mate. Its just very unnatural progression.

In fact, people WANT to get a hate based relationship....Its so off.

If people go around hating each other in hopes of finding "The one" =/= peaceful society. In addition you could hate somebody for many reasons. Usually its having qualities you DISLIKE. They are very likely idiocy, and physical weakness. Im not sure how they could evolve if they breed bad qualities into the blood.

It just doesn't progress naturally.

And again, "Weak protect the strong" just only works on paper or with a hive mind.

Trolls follow both a hive structure, yet lack a hive mind for it to make sense.

Meenah perfectly demonstrates why this doesn't work. Your born into a position with great responsibility whether you want it or not/ born with conditions in which you cannot compete in whether you like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Okay how about this then.

in troll society, post-scratch, if you TRULY DETEST SOMEBODY then you hate them with all your heart and get into a kissmessitude. your hate for them makes your genetic material stronger the stronger the hate is, and inside the pail your genetic materials actually fight one another for dominance. so its not breeding weak traits, it's weeding them out, because your strong traits are oppressing and killing off their weak traits and vise versa.

In pre-scratch alternia, it's more about jealousy. They have something you wish you had, and you have something they wish they had, so you get into some kind of equivalent to kissmessitude, less hate, but more "i wish i had even a small fraction of what you have" jealousy. in this, the traits that each person wants obtain dominance inside the pail, say for example we have a short-haired troll with long horns, and a long-haired troll with short horns. Long-hair is jealous of short-hair's horns, and short-hair is jealous of long-hair's hair. So, the long hair and the long horn genes wipe out the short hair and the short horn genes, resulting in a long-hair-long-horn troll.

Does THIS work as an explanation?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats very contrived and makes little sense-Il take it.

Just because one aspect of troll society makes no sense doesn't mean that all of it makes no sense.

I still enjoy Homestuck even with this hiccup (Along with the possibility of dave going back in time an warning John of Noir).
    A little condescending

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Thats very contrived and makes little sense-Il take it.
    Glad i could help!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Glad i could help!
    Glad I didn't offend you.
    A little condescending

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(Along with the possibility of Dave going back in time and warning John of Noir).
    Two words: Doomed timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

The doomed timeline is one where Dave comes back and warns john of falling asleep through prototyping thus resulting in jack loosing his other arm? Thus Bro bests him in combat?
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-05-13 at 09:38 AM.
    A little condescending

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

The doomed timeline is one where Dave comes back and warns john of falling asleep through prototyping thus resulting in jack loosing his other arm? Thus Bro bests him in combat?
    A doomed timeline does not necessarily mean a timeline where everybody loses or even one in which everybody lives. A doomed timeline is a timeline that is not supposed to exist, and in that sense is doomed to failure. Things are meant to happen in a particular way, and failing that you create doomed offshoot timelines.

If you 'solve' a problem that is not appropriate, Paradox Space will contrive a loss for the timeline. So if you kill Jack like that you force other variables to come into effect and everything ends up worse.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2012-05-13 at 10:39 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Okay how about this then.

in troll society, post-scratch, if you TRULY DETEST SOMEBODY then you hate them with all your heart and get into a kissmessitude. your hate for them makes your genetic material stronger the stronger the hate is, and inside the pail your genetic materials actually fight one another for dominance. so its not breeding weak traits, it's weeding them out, because your strong traits are oppressing and killing off their weak traits and vise versa.

In pre-scratch alternia, it's more about jealousy. They have something you wish you had, and you have something they wish they had, so you get into some kind of equivalent to kissmessitude, less hate, but more "i wish i had even a small fraction of what you have" jealousy. in this, the traits that each person wants obtain dominance inside the pail, say for example we have a short-haired troll with long horns, and a long-haired troll with short horns. Long-hair is jealous of short-hair's horns, and short-hair is jealous of long-hair's hair. So, the long hair and the long horn genes wipe out the short hair and the short horn genes, resulting in a long-hair-long-horn troll.

Does THIS work as an explanation?
    No, that doesn't work as an explanation, because it's using human terms and logic. This is an alien society with completely different concepts of love, hate, and culture. It may follow the same laws of physics, but it certainly does not follow the same laws of society.

This isn't a matter of understanding; understanding is impossible by definition. If you could understand it, then it wouldn't be very alien, now would it? It would just be a world of humans with silly horns, grey skin, and a weird culture.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    It would just be a world of humans with silly horns, grey skin, and a weird culture.
    Sadly, this is what a large portion of the fandom tends to treat the trolls as.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post
    Sadly, this is what a large portion of the fandom tends to treat the trolls as.
    Not that Im for this, but "alien" still has to be logical. Il accept that it doesn't make sense for style purposes (a very respectable reason) but that doesn't mean that its immune from logic.

Unless there is this inbuilt psychological conditioning for this not to take effect (and since it doesn't even effect the freaking queen to be) it makes no sense.

Its just partialy alien psychology, still connected to mostly human psychology, thus I can question its logic.

Truly alien, is stuff like Cthulu. I can't question his logic as we are just ants too his intellect and thoughts.
    A little condescending

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

Not that Im for this, but "alien" still has to be logical. Il accept that it doesn't make sense for style purposes (a very respectable reason) but that doesn't mean that its immune from logic.

Unless there is this inbuilt psychological conditioning for this not to take effect (and since it doesn't even effect the freaking queen to be) it makes no sense.

Its just partialy alien psychology, still connected to mostly human psychology, thus I can question its logic.

Truly alien, is stuff like Cthulu. I can't question his logic as we are just ants too his intellect and thoughts.
    Chimpanzees are 99.99% human, yet they're radically different in many ways, and it's unlikely we'll ever truly understand them perfectly, simply because their brains work differently.

Why is it such a stretch to assume that trolls, who are most likely different on an eve more fundamental level, have a society that works on such a different level? Don't be fooled by how much parts of it resemble human society, that's just your human brain trying to parse it in terms it can understand. "Hate-love" sounds contradictory to us because it is contradictory...for humans. I can't explain how it works for trolls because I'm human, but I don't need to explain it to accept it. We don't understand why gravity exists, but that doesn't make it any less real.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

Because their not. They have love and hate and minds that seem to function the same ways we do.

And even then monkeys work differently, yet LOGICALLY. They work mostly on instinkt.

Don't be fooled by how much parts of it resemble human society
    Except in the parts where it mimics human society.

We don't understand why gravity exists, but that doesn't make it any less real.
    Yet I know birds evolved to fly based around gravity. I wouldn't get a bird that still expects to fly, yet evolves 10 tons of fat and wings the size of toothpicks in a planet with jupiter like gravity.
    A little condescending

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

I really don't want to join the (foolish) debate on aliens, hate-based societies in universes governed by games, and logic... but here's my sole contribution:
    On Nemesises
    (Warning: most recent strip is NSFW, careful where you click.)
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'd argue that what Kismesitude (or however on earth you spell it) really deals with isn't truly Hate as we understand it, but something we don't quite have a clear word for as humans, and hate is merely the closest word we have for it.

Also, it's difficult to say what would be logical behavior for trolls without having a complete picture of their biology and society.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Troll in the Playground

I interrupt this argument to bring you a special report.

I am developing pale feelings for the Draconian Dignitary. So aloof. So serene. I just want to lend him a hand, you know? I know he doesn't really give a damn, but still.

We now return you to your argument, in progress.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

-snip-
    They're also biologically different, besides the obvious skin and horn stuff. They refer to things called 'think pans' and 'bone bulges' and when we read it we kind of assume them to be brains or genitalia but in actuality, we know very little about these things at all.

We read and we see and we interpret but this is ultimately unreliable because when we look at the trolls we perceive them in ways that we understand them. We assign context as we see fit to create some facsimile of understanding but there is little that has truly been explained, outside of a few authorial notes and some information we glean from conversations.

At best this is a contrivance brought about by our own inability to understand things alien to us. Even in nature, we tend to look at certain creature actions in the frame of a human point of view. Things like love and family and such, but it is anybody's guess as to whether these assumptions are completely on the mark. Anything that we cannot quite put to terms we simply wave off as 'animals actions,' and leave it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I really don't want to join the (foolish) debate on aliens, hate-based societies in universes governed by games, and logic... but here's my sole contribution:
    On Nemesises
    (Warning: most recent strip is NSFW, careful where you click.)
    Old video but still very much relevant.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm iiiinnnteresting. Assuming it's droog who uses it, he probably won't get very much out of it since it's a null session. may still get some powers like Jack did with the red miles pre-bec prototype.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Man, I feel bad that it took me this long to get the Jail Break reference in today's panels.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post
    Okay, I love it so much. How come I never saw this before?
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

All these carapace updates! This is so wonderfully fantastic you guys don't even know.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I interrupt this argument to bring you a special report.

I am developing pale feelings for the Draconian Dignitary. So aloof. So serene. I just want to lend him a hand, you know? I know he doesn't really give a damn, but still.

We now return you to your argument, in progress.
    DD has been my favorite agent/crewman since I started watching Let's Read Homestuck on youtube. His voice actor delivers one smooth and elegant line after another, and I always appreciate elegance (much the way a frog might appreciate Sinatra).

Dear lord, however... the concept of Courtyard Droll in control of the Condesce's flagship mech? Horror and hilarity incarnate. And now it'll happen, just you watch.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

> [S] Trolls: Ponder current astrological predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Vriska <3< Terezi OTP.
    You cannot hope to defeat Nepeta <> Equius in a ship-off. It is simply the best pairing there is.

Picture related.

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    *loads the crossover cannon*

pchoooooooo
    Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Here is some more art that I liked:

Spoiler
    Show

From a series of "Karkat as a relationship counselor" drawings, an apt summary of Vriska's relationship with Tavros:

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ettin in the Playground

A little condescending

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Banned

This is perfect
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    This is perfect
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is just. Rassum frassum white text
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ettin in the Playground

Not a Brony. Whats the Joke?
    A little condescending

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Oh, that is so perfect. For the non-Bronies scratching their heads... Let's just say Princess Celestia didn't earn the nickname Trollestia for nothing. Also, Derpy is so perfect for John, too. (Name should say everything)
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-05-16 at 06:09 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ettin in the Playground

I know. From CRs videos I know that she seems like a Troll. But this just doesn't make any sense as a joke outside that its just adding ponies to the picture.
    A little condescending

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Banned

Nothing makes sense as a joke :|

anyway, trying to contribute to the random

am I not cool yet?
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-05-16 at 08:40 AM.