New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Archetype Combos: Doing all the work b/c reading charts is bloody annoying

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Is there any way thus far of combining THREE or more archetypes into a single build?
    I initially tried doing that but I'm not sure how I'd showcase it. After I finish doing 2 Archetypes, I may go back to double check for Triples.

As Curious said, Quingong is the go-to for 3 archetypes, though Totem Warrior will always plus one any Barbarian mix. I don't even know why it's listed as an archetype, since it doesn't actually change anything besides giving fluff text.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [PF] Archetype Combos: Doing all the work b/c reading charts is bloody annoying

Out of curiosity, of the archetype combinations available for bards, are there any audience favorites or archetypes that just seem to synergize well together?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Out of curiosity, of the archetype combinations available for bards, are there any audience favorites or archetypes that just seem to synergize well together?
    Mm, well, this isn't really archetype synergy, but if you allow 3.5 material, Dawnflower Dervish is incredible combined with Words of Creation on a Bardblade build. DD doubles your Inspire Courage bonuses, but they only apply to yourself.
    Last edited by Curious; 2012-01-23 at 10:10 PM.
    Prestige Bard, updated for Pathfinder.

Revamped Spell Resistance system, for use with Spell Points/Psionics.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Geisha Songhealer fit thematically well together.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

About rules for combining archetypes - is it possible to combine multiple archetypes that share replaced class features as long as you don't take the class to that point? EX: can you be a monk with master of many styles + monk of the four winds + monk of the healing hand, and just level something else at 20 since they only overlap on Perfect Self?
    Last edited by Eshi; 2012-01-23 at 11:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Is there any way thus far of combining THREE or more archetypes into a single build?
    Ranger can!
    Pick one of Skirmisher/Trapper to trade away your Spells.
    Skirmisher ONLY trades away spells, Trapper trades away Spells and tweaks your Skills. Skirmisher can make a LOT of 3-archetypes.
    Pick ACF that trades away Favored Terrain.
    Pick ACF that trades away Favored Enemy (that doesn't also mess with the above)

Skirmisher/Trophy Hunter/Urban Ranger
    Skirmisher/Battle Scout/Deep Walker
    Skirmisher/etc.....
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eshi View Post
    About rules for combining archetypes - is it possible to combine multiple archetypes that share replaced class features as long as you don't take the class to that point? EX: can you be a monk with master of many styles + monk of the four winds + monk of the healing hand, and just level something else at 20 since they only overlap on Perfect Self?
    Nope, doesn't matter whether you take it that far or not, archetypes don't combine if they replace the same features.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I never got this much attention, and I did it before they had the charts. *cries*
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-01-24 at 11:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I never got this much attention, and I did it before they had the charts. *cries*

My initial research to see if anyone else had done something like this and Google didn't turn anything up besides the Monk Archetype combo thread over at Paizo. This would have been nice to know existed ahead of time, as it is a nice little resource. I think I'll double check my work against it for what you do have, as it looks like you don't have UC in there. I don't think the SRD has the PSFG archetypes, so I think I may be the first resource on that front.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Soundstriker + Magician is the ultimate blaster bard combo.

Magician lets you buff both ally spellcasters as well as yourself and Soundstriker allows performances to be used for consistent damage output.

Add in the fact that you can use Spellsong to both Wordstrike (or the very powerful Weird Word at level 6) and cast a spell on the same turn AND can use Harmonic Spell to continue playing your other performances for nearly forever using cantrips easily overcomes the weapon and bardic knowledge abilities that you loose in return.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZ View Post
    Soundstriker + Magician is the ultimate blaster bard combo.

Magician lets you buff both ally spellcasters as well as yourself and Soundstriker allows performances to be used for consistent damage output.

Add in the fact that you can use Spellsong to both Wordstrike (or the very powerful Weird Word at level 6) and cast a spell on the same turn AND can use Harmonic Spell to continue playing your other performances for nearly forever using cantrips easily overcomes the weapon and bardic knowledge abilities that you loose in return.
    Ooo. I hadn't seen that feat yet. Thank you for pointing that out that's pretty awesome. If only there were swift action cantrips...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk and Magus archetypes are up. Two things I learned today: Martial Artists can still be Qinggong Monks, despite not having any Ki for Ki Powers. The other is that every Magi can have their own wannabe Stormbringer if they really want one. Elric, indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #43

Daemon

Ooo. I hadn't seen that feat yet. Thank you for pointing that out that's pretty awesome. If only there were swift action cantrips...
    Next best thing; Spell Perfection on your favorite cantrip, quicken it for free.
    Prestige Bard, updated for Pathfinder.

Revamped Spell Resistance system, for use with Spell Points/Psionics.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Nitpick: Master of Many Styles and Maneuver Master both replace Flurry of Blows, yet they're listed as compatible.

Great job, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Need_A_Life View Post
    Nitpick: Master of Many Styles and Maneuver Master both replace Flurry of Blows, yet they're listed as compatible.

Great job, though.
    Fixed. I blame the cold I developed making me foggy.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

Thank you again for this amazingly useful post!
    Running games in the Space Coast, FL area. Looking to play? Drop a line.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Cannot thank you enough. I have searched for something like this for a while now. I was kind of hoping to find something like a multiplication table, or the pokemon type interaction table (you know, how the row interacts with the column sort of thin), but this works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlyjoe View Post
    Thank you again for this amazingly useful post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Cannot thank you enough. I have searched for something like this for a while now. I was kind of hoping to find something like a multiplication table, or the pokemon type interaction table (you know, how the row interacts with the column sort of thin), but this works just fine.
    You're both welcome.

Updating: Oracle and Paladin are up. I must say, whoever edited Paladin archetypes didn't know what the **** they were doing, as they can't standardize how to replace or alter features, even in the same book. Divine Bond is prime among those, but I found an instance of a Channel Positive Energy with a feature of the exact same name (Hospitaler) or replacing Lay on Hands with a feature that does the exact same thing but renaming it, disallowing you from actually taking anything to enhance it (Oath of Charity). Hospitaler Oathbound Paladins of Charity are prime for Ultimate Mercy, yet can't actually take it, since they don't technically have Lay on Hands. *aims goblin crew at Paizo headquarters*
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-01-25 at 08:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    You're both welcome.

Updating: Oracle and Paladin are up. I must say, whoever edited Paladin archetypes didn't know what the **** they were doing, as they can't standardize how to replace or alter features, even in the same book. Divine Bond is prime among those, but I found an instance of a Channel Positive Energy with a feature of the exact same name (Hospitaler) or replacing Lay on Hands with a feature that does the exact same thing but renaming it, disallowing you from actually taking anything to enhance it (Oath of Charity). Hospitaler Oathbound Paladins of Charity are prime for Ultimate Mercy, yet can't actually take it, since they don't technically have Lay on Hands. *aims goblin crew at Paizo headquarters*
    *you* Prepare the cannon!
    *Paizo* Prepare the CANON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    *you* Prepare the cannon!
    *Paizo* Prepare the CANON!
    Did someone say Cannon?
    Spoiler
    Show
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

though Totem Warrior will always plus one any Barbarian mix. I don't even know why it's listed as an archetype, since it doesn't actually change anything besides giving fluff text.
    No, the rules say you must be a Totem warrior to have more than 1 totem (Ultimate Combat). Yes, you lose nothing so only fools aren't totem warriors but still.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Gun tank and Pistolero?

Yeah...weird combination, I know, as I see Gun Tanks as being more muskety but Gun Tank and Musket Master both replace Gunslinger's Dodge. No dwarven Musket Tanks, though you can still dip out to Bounty Hunter Ranger or Grit Rogue to pick up extra deeds.
    I'm going to see if I can't combine a Locked Gauntlet and a pistol to have a forearm-mounted gun on a clockwork suit of fullplate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    No, the rules say you must be a Totem warrior to have more than 1 totem (Ultimate Combat). Yes, you lose nothing so only fools aren't totem warriors but still.
    Huh, so it does. That is a very stealthy buff they slipped in there.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #54

Under Monk, Zen Archer replaces Stunning Fist, so it's not a valid combination with Monk of the Four Winds.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    Under Monk, Zen Archer replaces Stunning Fist, so it's not a valid combination with Monk of the Four Winds.
    Corrected. Guess that means Zen Archer can't combine with anything besides Qinggong.

EDIT: I'm redoing Monk, I keep finding things wrong with it.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-01-26 at 05:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

You, sir are a scholar and a gentleman for doing this. Thank you!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk is redone and Ranger is up. My cold is back with a vengeance, so Rogue will wait till tomorrow to go with Sorcerer and Summoner, both of which are short. For now, I'm gonna go take some cold medicine and go attempt to pass out.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Monk is redone and Ranger is up. My cold is back with a vengeance, so Rogue will wait till tomorrow to go with Sorcerer and Summoner, both of which are short. For now, I'm gonna go take some cold medicine and go attempt to pass out.
    You appear to have missed Nirmathi Irregular, the ONLY Ranger Archetype to IMPROVE casting.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    You appear to have missed Nirmathi Irregular, the ONLY Ranger Archetype to IMPROVE casting.
    No I haven't, I said early on that I was only drawing from APG, UM, UC and PSFG, as those are the books I have access to offline, when I do most of this work. I also said that if people want to provide entries for books I'm not covering, they can feel free to post them. I don't have a copy of the Inner Sea Magic or the Inner Sea World Guide, so there aren't any Aldori Swordmasters or Dawnflower Dervishes, either.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Nirmathi IrregularPCS: Inner Sea Magic
    Features Replaced: Weapon/Armor Prof., Favored Enemy, Wild Empathy, Favored Terrain, Spells (note: the Ranger still receives 1 each of Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain)
    Valid Archetypes to Combine with: Beast Master, Horse Lord, Infiltrator, Spirit Ranger.
    Does not combine with: Skirmisher, Trapper

There is a bit of confusion regarding the entry on the PFSRD (I don't have the book). It trades the same feature away twice.
    The class trades away Favored Enemy, and gets Focused Enemy.
    The class trades away Favored Enemy, and gets Focused Terrain.
    Focused Terrain should obviously replaced Favored Terrain, and that is what the combinations are based on.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2012-01-27 at 09:28 PM.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide