New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Archetype Combos: Doing all the work b/c reading charts is bloody annoying

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    There is a bit of confusion regarding the entry on the PFSRD (I don't have the book). It trades the same feature away twice.
    The class trades away Favored Enemy, and gets Focused Enemy.
    The class trades away Favored Enemy, and gets Focused Terrain.
    Focused Terrain should obviously replaced Favored Terrain, and that is what the combinations are based on.
    It wouldn't be the only one to do that, Wild Stalker also double trades for no apparent reason. Sensei also gains a feature and then trades a bonus feat for it that doesn't exist at that level. So yeah, I'm just trying to make it work out as best I can manage till errata maybe shows up.

Not looking like I'm getting anything done today, watched a movie this evening instead of doing Rogue/Ninja research and I'm once again at my sick limits of staying up. Cold medicine didn't work as I thought and woke me up in the wee hours severely dehydrated to the point that it hurt to drink. Just going back to not using drugs and letting my immune system kill it.

Ninja does look like it can do some Rogue archetype exchanges, as I do know they maintain some features that archetypes can make use of, namely Uncanny Dodge chain. Scout, looking at you.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Archetype Combos: Doing all the work b/c reading charts is bloody annoying

Nirmathi IrregularPCS: Inner Sea Magic
    Features Replaced: Weapon/Armor Prof., Favored Enemy, Wild Empathy, Favored Terrain, Spells (note: the Ranger still receives 1 each of Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain)
    Valid Archetypes to Combine with: Beast Master, Horse Lord, Infiltrator, Spirit Ranger.
    Does not combine with: Skirmisher, Trapper
    Oh yeah, also, this isn't the only enhanced caster archetype for rangers, Spirit Ranger trades Hunter's Bond and Camouflage for Augury & Divination as spell-likes, as well as getting the ability to cast ANY ranger spell 1/day/4 levels of Ranger that he is capable of casting without preparing it ahead of time.

I'm also feeling somewhat better tonight, so I should be finishing up the initial sweep of the guide and then see about triple combos in the next post, as it's not looking like I'll be loping over.

EDIT: ...and done! The only thing I have to do now is add grarrrg's inputted Ranger Archetype and see about classes that can have more than 2 archetypes, which so far appear to be Barbarian, Monk, Ranger & Sorcerer, though I won't be doing Sorcerer a second time, since it only has 3 archetypes.

EDIT2: Changed the Broodmaster Archetype, at the suggest of Prime32's Archetype collection, as the book also directly calls out that the features are just tweaked to work with having more than one Eidolon, so that's not a major difference to exclude them from taking multiple archetypes. Look at that, Broodmaster Master Summoners, lots of weak creatures everywhere. It's like a Horde deck or something.

EDIT3: Forgot the Ninja alternate class for Rogues. Came to the sad, sad realization you can't be a Pirate Ninja.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-01-29 at 07:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

For fighters, Dawnflower Dervish (from Inner Sea Primer; trades Armor Training 1-4) can combine with Savage Warrior (APG; trades Bravery, Weapon Training 1-4, Weapon Mastery), or with Armor Master (UC; trades same as Savage Warrior, plus Armor Mastery).

Oh, and Gladiator, too.

That's the only fighter archetype i've seen, aside from Gladiator, that combines with anything.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Is there any way thus far of combining THREE or more archetypes into a single build?
    A Hexcrafter|Spellblade|Staff Magus seems legit.

Perhaps even so much that they would not be able to retire....

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Broodmaster and Master Summoner both replace the Eidolon ability, don't they? Shouldn't they not work together?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Broodmaster and Master Summoner both replace the Eidolon ability, don't they? Shouldn't they not work together?
    This is one of those RAW vs. RAI type things.

Strictly speaking, no they should not stack.
    Intuitively though, there should be no conflicts.

Master Summoner's Eidolon grows at 1/2 normal rate.
    Broodmaster gets a 2nd (small) Eidolon when it reaches 2HD.

Combined, it would get its 2nd Eidolon at level 4 instead of at level 2.

Note: It's still probably not a good idea to combine them, but it 'should' be possible to.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    That's what I had initially. Prime32's guide changed my mind about it, as the features aren't actually replaced, they're just changed in respect for having multiple eidolons. Like grarrrg said, I wouldn't recommend taking both at the same time, due to having lots of weak creatures around unless you really want a bunch of gremlins or something.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can you actually combine Geisha and Archaeologist and still use the Tea Ceremony? "Archaeologists do not gain the bardic performance ability or any of its performance types", so it doesn't appear that the bard would be able to use the Tea Ceremony since they have no rounds of bardic performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    Can you actually combine Geisha and Archaeologist and still use the Tea Ceremony? "Archaeologists do not gain the bardic performance ability or any of its performance types", so it doesn't appear that the bard would be able to use the Tea Ceremony since they have no rounds of bardic performance.
    It's a case of 'can,' rather than 'should'. You can combine Martial Artist with Qinggong yet there would be no benefit from doing so, since you have no ki to power your Ki Powers. Archaeologist and Geisha are much the same way.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    It's a case of 'can,' rather than 'should'.
    There's actually a surprising number of those.
    Roleplay is Important Alway come Prepared
    Credit to the absolutely stunning Mavis Vermilion Avatar goes to the Amazing Ceika
    I always Carouse, I never Peruse, it's much more fun to find things my way.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ExemplarofAvg View Post
    Not that surprising when you remember that the design team doesn't like mixing and matching power sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExemplarofAvg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Not that surprising when you remember that the design team doesn't like mixing and matching power sets.
    So would it be helpful if I mark such combos with a warning that they're useless in combination or at least extremely ill-advised, like combining Broodmaster and Master Summoner?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So would it be helpful if I mark such combos with a warning that they're useless in combination or at least extremely ill-advised, like combining Broodmaster and Master Summoner?
    Only if you have the time. It would certainly be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Only if you have the time. It would certainly be helpful.
    I might even go so far as to suggest a cross reference chart where you can see what archetypes combine with what. And mark the one's that are pointless (or near point less, Grenadier Vivisectionist,) differently with a note saying "While these can combine, it's not generally recommended."
    Roleplay is Important Alway come Prepared
    Credit to the absolutely stunning Mavis Vermilion Avatar goes to the Amazing Ceika
    I always Carouse, I never Peruse, it's much more fun to find things my way.

15. - Top - End - #75

On the topic of "can" and "should", can you blend the Dawnflower Dervish Bard Archetype with anything, and if so, should you?
    Last edited by Silus; 2012-03-19 at 05:24 PM.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    On the topic of "can" and "should", can you blend the Dawnflower Dervish Bard Archetype with anything, and if so, should you?
    Given it trades out both Bardic Knowledge and Loremaster, which a lot of other archetypes trade out, it severely limits what it can actually combine with. The only archetypes available (at least according to my tables, which won't include any of the myriad PF Companions and whatnot) are Savage Skald, Song Healer and Sound Striker. Given the Battle Dance only affects Inspire Courage, Inspire Greatness and Inspire Heroics, as well as it specifically says that all other bardic performances work as normal, there's nothing wrong with and it can work quite well in combination with any of those 3. A Dawnflower Skald could be pretty interesting in emulating a barbarian of sorts, where the Battle Dance is her own variant of rage.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just noticed something relevant.

Monk Vows:
    A monk who takes a vow never gains the still mind class feature, even if he abandons all his vows.
    How in the heck does this interact with Archetypes?
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

18. - Top - End - #78

Daemon

It's a case of 'can,' rather than 'should'. You can combine Martial Artist with Qinggong yet there would be no benefit from doing so, since you have no ki to power your Ki Powers. Archaeologist and Geisha are much the same way.
    Archaeologist and Geisha actually isn't a particularly terrible combination (at least, no worse than Geisha usually is) since Tea Ceremony is a mostly-useless ability anyway. The Tea Ceremony ability ends up being a dead feature, but the main draw of Geisha is the Diplomacy boost from Geisha Knowledge replacing Bardic Knowledge, and an Archaeologist can benefit from that as well as anyone can (and the other archetypes that get Diplomacy boosts all trade off bardic music, making them incompatible with archaeologist). Thematically it's kind of weird, but mechanically it's not a bad idea if you want a Diplomacy-focused archaeologist.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk Vows:

Hmm, I guess vows are like oaths except that they always cost you Still Mind. I guess I can put that in as a restriction on Monk archetypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Archaeologist and Geisha actually isn't a particularly terrible combination (at least, no worse than Geisha usually is) since Tea Ceremony is a mostly-useless ability anyway. The Tea Ceremony ability ends up being a dead feature, but the main draw of Geisha is the Diplomacy boost from Geisha Knowledge replacing Bardic Knowledge, and an Archaeologist can benefit from that as well as anyone can (and the other archetypes that get Diplomacy boosts all trade off bardic music, making them incompatible with archaeologist). Thematically it's kind of weird, but mechanically it's not a bad idea if you want a Diplomacy-focused archaeologist.
    True enough, though the Tea Ceremony seems to be mostly a method of getting one of the Inspires to last much longer at a stint for 4 rounds of music per beneficiary. Nice if you want to be able to cast while an Inspire is going or if you want to activate a second song, since the Tea Ceremony doesn't seem like it would interfere with that, since it'll keep going regardless of what the Geisha does.

The Archaeologist also benefits from the free Scribe Scroll, as they're still a caster.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Thought I should note the following subdomains don't overlap with changed features

Ash+Smoke
    Freedom+Revolution
    Decay+Growth
    Storms+Seasons

Which is applicable to Clerics, Inquisitors and (except for the 2nd) Druids.

(OK, not technically archetypes, but close enough)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Thought I should note the following subdomains don't overlap with changed features

Ash+Smoke
    Freedom+Revolution
    Decay+Growth
    Storms+Seasons

And Sacred Servant Paladins
    And the odd PrC.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

22. - Top - End - #82

Flumph

Monk Vows:

So, technically you can't take more than one vow. HeroLab generates a warning when you do this or when you mix any vows with Drunken Master, for example.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrowka74 View Post
    So, technically you can't take more than one vow. HeroLab generates a warning when you do this or when you mix any vows with Drunken Master, for example.
    Well, the Monk Vow feature itself says
    A monk may have multiple vows. Their effects and increase to his ki pool stack.
    So it's allowed, but it says nothing of stacking with Archetypes.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

I prefer trusting my own eyes than what a program may tell me, thanks. (not a fan of Herolab)
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #85

Flumph

I prefer trusting my own eyes than what a program may tell me, thanks. (not a fan of Herolab)

Of course, the books have the last word. Still, software may help find things that have been overlooked.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Probably a scripting error. It likely checks whether you have Still Mind to give since you don't after taking 1 vow.

27. - Top - End - #87

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post

Ash+Smoke
    Freedom+Revolution
    Decay+Growth
    Storms+Seasons

(OK, not technically archetypes, but close enough)
    You still can't combine them, though, unless there's some text I missed that allows it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I got a bit bored this evening so I went through and made corrections, typically adding or removing archetypes that are or are not compatible, fully integrating the Nirmathi Irregular that grarrrg provided, marked which Monk archetypes are capable of making vows/taking Monastic Legacy, since they key off the same thing (Still Mind) and adding a new text edit to archetypes that, while possible, don't get along.

Adding another thing to the "Why did they do that?" file, Martial Artists still have Abundant Step despite not having any ki to activate it. Way to leave a dead feature, Paizo.

Oh, and I redid the intro to something actually relevant, since the former message was obsolete.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-04-29 at 12:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

That's nothing. The geisha and savage skald archtypes are compatable.
    You heard me. The geisha and savage skald archtypes are compatable.

"Would you like some rrrRRRRAGE! tea?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    That's nothing. The geisha and savage skald archtypes are compatable.
    You heard me. The geisha and savage skald archtypes are compatable.

"Would you like some rrrRRRRAGE! tea?
    It's not a Tea Ceremony, it's a Berserker Lodge Bender.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!