New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den IX

The honey badger growls and drops to the floor without so much as a falter in its mad charge forward. Upon reaching Junior's impromptu table shield, the mustelid tries to dig through it. The table. Yeah. I don't know if even the ratel's large claws can tunnel through the wood (or whatever material the tables are made of), but the animal is going to try. Junior just might get away without serious injury.

Devi has finished off her laughing fit, and is now taking notes while rubbing the back of her head. The thrown and floating chair seems to have hit her at some point. The zero-gravity field may need some work. And the honey badger is a success! It was totally worth the grueling work it took getting it into the box in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOfWar View Post
    Winguardia smiles at Rhyan as the other woman takes her hand. “Thank you.” She replies to the kind gesture.

“In answer to your questions, Rhyan and Mayhala, as long as neither of you is undead nor a magically created being, you would fit the Council’s definition. Undead are still viewed as the enemies of all life in my world because of the plague that ended the First Creation. So, Sevet and Alysha and even I do not particularly fall under the Council’s protection.

As Sevet points out, reporting any hostile actions he takes will be the problem. It is not impossible. It would merely take a human messenger willing to carry proof back to the council.

The ideal situation would be to convince him to live happily ever after here in the Nexus. There are many things that would entice him toward that option. He would be free of the Council’s oppression, he would have the opportunity to gain respect and wealth, he would not have to face me in combat, he may even be able to find friends. Our kind have difficulty making friends because we know that all other species in our world live very short lifespans compared to ours. Finally, it would be several centuries before the Council would start looking for him, and by then the trail will have gone cold. He can disappear here without a trace. Disappearing here is certainly my plan.” It looks like one of Sevet's ideas was made of super-glue.

She conspicuously does not touch the topic of killing Brian. She’ll have to be pressed to address that
    Mayhala takes Siri's avoidance of the subject as 'don't kill him unless necessary to protect one of us', which is probably the best the winged woman is going to get.

"What does the Council count as a 'magically created creature', though? Certainly, no blood mage formed me, or anything of the sort, but the personality that is me could only have been created through magical means, because without them, I wouldn't have lived anywhere near as long as I have - and even if I had, the gesalt identity wouldn't have ever existed, so my experiences would have been different."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh no, Junior isn't trying to get away, he's trying to lure it. The table seems secure enough for now, as he'll pull it back along with him every time he feels the claws scraping against it, and he'll inch back to the door.

Then, he'll stop completely, let the badger sink its claws in for just a moment, and give a half turn so that the open door is directly in front of the badger. He's hoping that it will rush by out into the open air, and he can shut the door behind it.

If all that works, he'll breathe a sigh of relief and set down his table shield. If at any point in his luring the badger tries something else, or it doesn't fall for the ruse at the end, he's probably going to get mauled.

After all, lets face it, honey badgers just don't care.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Rhyan just falls quiet, a thoughtful expression on her face as she looks between her tablemates.

...and then blows her nose.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

The honey badger sniffs at the open doorway with suspicion, then turns its angry eyes toward the table and the drorf it knows is behind it. Hmm... Freedom, or revenge? Luckily for Junior, the ratel decides that the Black Dragon's Den is not the place for it and charges out the door with the same fervor it possessed while it attempted to maul Junior. If one listens closely, you can just about hear the screams starting from down the block.

Anyway, Devi grins a Junior and starts clapping. Her red eyes gleam behind her sunglasses.

"Good job! That was an interesting experiment."

I'm, uh, sure if gave the techno-mage some excellent data... about... something.

Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOfWar View Post

Winguardia smiles at Rhyan as the other woman takes her hand. “Thank you.” She replies to the kind gesture.

“In answer to your questions, Rhyan and Mayhala, as long as neither of you is undead nor a magically created being, you would fit the Council’s definition. Undead are still viewed as the enemies of all life in my world because of the plague that ended the First Creation. So, Sevet and Alysha and even I do not particularly fall under the Council’s protection.

As Sevet points out, reporting any hostile actions he takes will be the problem. It is not impossible. It would merely take a human messenger willing to carry proof back to the council.

The ideal situation would be to convince him to live happily ever after here in the Nexus. There are many things that would entice him toward that option. He would be free of the Council’s oppression, he would have the opportunity to gain respect and wealth, he would not have to face me in combat, he may even be able to find friends. Our kind have difficulty making friends because we know that all other species in our world live very short lifespans compared to ours. Finally, it would be several centuries before the Council would start looking for him, and by then the trail will have gone cold. He can disappear here without a trace. Disappearing here is certainly my plan.” It looks like one of Sevet's ideas was made of super-glue.

She conspicuously does not touch the topic of killing Brian. She’ll have to be pressed to address that
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mayhala takes Siri's avoidance of the subject as 'don't kill him unless necessary to protect one of us', which is probably the best the winged woman is going to get.

"What does the Council count as a 'magically created creature', though? Certainly, no blood mage formed me, or anything of the sort, but the personality that is me could only have been created through magical means, because without them, I wouldn't have lived anywhere near as long as I have - and even if I had, the gesalt identity wouldn't have ever existed, so my experiences would have been different."
    "Yknow it's a real shame, hard as I work to keep myself in tact, that people immediately assume I'm anti-life, just cause I'm undead."

Turning to Mayhala, he makes the sound of someone stifling a laugh, obviously intentional, because almost nothing comes out of the skull on accident. "I think they'd either file you under too complicated to bother or just chuck you in the bin with us. Course, none of that matters if you don't say a word about it, if we ever even speak to this council."

"So all in all, is the end-plan diplomacy? Ooh! If it doesn't come to blows, you think you could sneak in a line about taking me off his hands? Real casual like."

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Marciano starts waving his hands and jumping. Oy! Halfling 'ere!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    "Yknow it's a real shame, hard as I work to keep myself in tact, that people immediately assume I'm anti-life, just cause I'm undead."

Turning to Mayhala, he makes the sound of someone stifling a laugh, obviously intentional, because almost nothing comes out of the skull on accident. "I think they'd either file you under too complicated to bother or just chuck you in the bin with us. Course, none of that matters if you don't say a word about it, if we ever even speak to this council."

"So all in all, is the end-plan diplomacy? Ooh! If it doesn't come to blows, you think you could sneak in a line about taking me off his hands? Real casual like."
    Mayhala doesn't bother to stifle her laughter, grinning in a much more pleasant fashion than before at Sevet.

"Fair enough. I was just wondering in case they've got some way to detect what I am, or something similar,"
    she says, before giving Marciano a distinctly unpleasant glare.

Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post
    Marciano starts waving his hands and jumping. Oy! Halfling 'ere!

"Yes. Unfortunately, there is a halfling here. And you want what, exactly"

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    The honey badger sniffs at the open doorway with suspicion, then turns its angry eyes toward the table and the drorf it knows is behind it. Hmm... Freedom, or revenge? Luckily for Junior, the ratel decides that the Black Dragon's Den is not the place for it and charges out the door with the same fervor it possessed while it attempted to maul Junior. If one listens closely, you can just about hear the screams starting from down the block.

Anyway, Devi grins a Junior and starts clapping. Her red eyes gleam behind her sunglasses.

"Good job! That was an interesting experiment."

I'm, uh, sure if gave the techno-mage some excellent data... about... something.
    Junior nods after giving a small sigh of relief. That was probably a worse scare than facing down that blasted demon in a poorly lit tunnel.

"Aye, s'good experiment all round. How'd yeh get a stable zero-G environment, without goin' over inta neg-gravity? Ah didn'a feel any upward pull at all." It seems even in the heat of bullfighting a ravening mustelid, Junior managed to appreciate a good work of science.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh yes, that was a troublesome bit of work. I had to carefully calibrate the...

Devi launches into a tirade of technological jargon. Since I have little understanding of normal machines, let alone fictional nonsensical ones, lets just leave her explanation to the imagination and say it makes sense.

"But really, that wasn't even the toughest part of setting that up. Zero-G zones are easy compared to getting a honey badger in a box."

Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #281

Junior nods thoughtfully, eying Devi. She didn't look like she had any honey badger induced wounds, or horrible death.

"Aye, it would be at that. Yeh must be an 'arder sort than I am lass, for I wouldn'a even tried it." Not even for SCIENCE? Well, probably not even then. Junior really isn't the type to enjoy dealing with small furry animals.

"Can ah buy yeh a drink lass, so as we can talk shop a bit more? Junior's tha name, if'n ye were wondrin." This is a smart (if a bit crazy) gal Junior, don't let her go without a fight!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

Devi is smart enough not to simply try to grab a honey badger with her bare hands and stuff it in a box, apparently. She used SCIENCE to get it in.

"I like doing dangerous things. It's thrilling."

She gives an ominous smile. Well, it would be ominous if she knew how to smile ominously, or if it was preformed by anyone besides the petite and silly techno-mage. Maybe if her red eyes weren't covered by sunglasses.

"I'm up for a drink. I'm called Devi."

Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #283

"As do I, only perhaps not tha dangerous." Junior will wave over one of the goblins and let Devi order whatever she'd like.

"Some fancy tech yeh've got thar. D'yeh have a sponsor, or sell summat ta fund yerself?" A question very close to his own predicament. Junior would like to see just how others of a similar ilk solved such problems.

He takes a swig of his own brew, when it arrives. The only thing better than conversation with an intellectual is drunken conversation with a pretty intellectual.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes. Unfortunately, there is a halfling here. And you want what, exactly"
    Actually, I was wondering if ya' wanted t' hire anyone. I'm an assassin, master thief, and I've never once been caught. No' even once. You approached me ratha' angrily when we me', so I decided I might introduce meself correctly. As promised, me name is Marciano L'ouvre, master thief, assassin, and master 'o' th' 'ouse! Marciano bows low. He takes off his huge feathered hat and brushes it on the floor before putting it back on his greasy hair. I've evaded th' police for years! In several diff'rent countries! They can't catch me! I am th' ringmaster 'o' th' chain gang too. Anyways! I was wondering iff'n ye be needin' me t' sneak somewhere, kill som'ne or rob. Me prices are low. Plus, ye impressed me! Somehow ye' go' Grantaire t' shu' up! Marciano winks bombastically before adjusting his bright yellow socks. So? Whatcha say? Marciano grins with his black, rotted teeth, his two gold teeth shining.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

Devi wants a firewine! She, of course, is not bothered at all by the flames and drinks it as is.

"Hm? Oh, I'm in an internship with Magtok. It's a sweet gig; he pretty much lets me build and do whatever I like."

Devi grins, and gestures toward Junior.

"What about you? What do you do?"

Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #286

"Jes came through a portal, aven't found a good place ta set up a new lab. Prolly gunna ave ta indenture meself ta someone fer a while ta work up funds an buy a place." All lies, but since Xar'cha wants his silence he'll content himself to keeping mum.

"Still, got enough gold ta share a drink with a pretty lass every once an awhile."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I was wondering if ya' wanted t' hire anyone. I'm an assassin, master thief, and I've never once been caught. No' even once. You approached me ratha' angrily when we me', so I decided I might introduce meself correctly. As promised, me name is Marciano L'ouvre, master thief, assassin, and master 'o' th' 'ouse! Marciano bows low. He takes off his huge feathered hat and brushes it on the floor before putting it back on his greasy hair. I've evaded th' police for years! In several diff'rent countries! They can't catch me! I am th' ringmaster 'o' th' chain gang too. Anyways! I was wondering iff'n ye be needin' me t' sneak somewhere, kill som'ne or rob. Me prices are low. Plus, ye impressed me! Somehow ye' go' Grantaire t' shu' up! Marciano winks bombastically before adjusting his bright yellow socks. So? Whatcha say? Marciano grins with his black, rotted teeth, his two gold teeth shining.

"That would be by magically gagging him. And no, I don't need to hire you. if I need to sneak somewhere, I'm more than capable of doing so myself, and the same for killing or stealing, if I must. Would you like a demonstration?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, ye' don't look all tha' threatening quite frankly....Sorry t' say it. I am th' best 'o' th' best. Marciano raises an eyebrow.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh really?"

Devi looks a bit pleased to be called a pretty lass. She doesn't get compliments much at all. Probably because most of the people she's talks to are ones she's just blown up, thrown bees in the face of, or sicced honey badgers on. Or are Magtok.

"I'm sure you'll find a lab. The Nexus is full of opportunities. Anyway, wanna see some of the stuff I've made?"

Devi is always eager to show off her inventions.

Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, ye' don't look all tha' threatening quite frankly....Sorry t' say it. I am th' best 'o' th' best. Marciano raises an eyebrow.
    She shrugs, though whatever remnants of the pleasant smile she had vanish.

"Please, allow me to demonstrate my skills before you decide. After all, one doesn't have to look threatening to be quite deadly."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, When ya' work with th' people I work with, being intimidating is part of the job description. And 'Ow would you prove tha'?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

"Simple. Get a back room here of your choice, or better yet, an open square outside. I'll get across or into it without being seen. Similar tests can apply for the rest. For example, I'll get into a locked room, with you in it, and steal something out of it. Killing someone is the only thing that presents a difficulty - and that can be done with a dummy, or simply by getting into a position where I could kill someone if I chose"

23. - Top - End - #293

Junior's eye sparkle, about as much as they can through the miasma of dulled haze that clouds them over.

"Ah'd love ta. Ah don't get much chance ta see other people's work mindya, so prepare ta amaze me. Ah'd show yeh somethin meself, but what Ah have on me hasta be hushed up, an the only other thing Ah brought through tha portal got used up darn quick." Shame he'd stored his blueprints back at the bank. Those are almost as good as a proper demonstration after all.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

"Simple. Get a back room here of your choice, or better yet, an open square outside. I'll get across or into it without being seen. Similar tests can apply for the rest. For example, I'll get into a locked room, with you in it, and steal something out of it. Killing someone is the only thing that presents a difficulty - and that can be done with a dummy, or simply by getting into a position where I could kill someone if I chose"
    Hmm...Let's see ya' try to break inta a house via th' sewers leading to the toilet. I'd like to see you fit.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm...Let's see ya' try to break inta a house via th' sewers leading to the toilet. I'd like to see you fit.
    She laughs.

"I have no need of such methods to enter a house, so whether or not I can do so is a moot point. As well for me to ask you to call up a Shadow."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I don't cheat with yer fancy schmancy magic. I prefer th' old ways. 'Ave ya' ever even successfully robbed som'ne of an item worth 10,000 GP before?!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I don't cheat with yer fancy schmancy magic. I prefer th' old ways. 'Ave ya' ever even successfully robbed som'ne of an item worth 10,000 GP before?!

"Ten thousand at the prices here? Almost certainly. But where I'm from you could buy a stable of Shin'a'in warhorses, the building, and all of the staff, for less than that."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

"Well get ready then!"

Devi holds up a hand dramatically to show off her shiny golden tech-covered bracelet. She presses a few buttons on it, and uses a bit of her temperature magic to power it. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning flies through the roof (its just for show and doesn't harm anything, of course) and strike the tabletop. At that point, a squeaking little guinea pig is teleported in! Amazing!

"It's my personal teleporter! I based it off Magtok's telewarpers, but it doesn't have the same scale or power as his system."

The visual is totally cooler, though. Also... the guinea pig has begun to, erm, split apart into two identical guinea pigs. Quite slowly and sickeningly. Best not to imagine a guinea pig going through some strange complex and multi-celled mitosis, or question how it's doing it. Apparently this one has been mutated to clone itself.

Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Well then, I would most certainly wan' t' live there! The halfling laughs boisterously, probably drawing attention. Was your name again?!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Well then, I would most certainly wan' t' live there! The halfling laughs boisterously, probably drawing attention. Was your name again?!

"Kelyata Merenthel."

The false name is provided without a hint of hesitation, Mayhala having had plenty of practice with such things.