New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den IX

A finely carved eyebrow is raised, and Merideth loses none of her calm, yet merry nature.

"Quite. Perhaps something simple then? Madame Deth, although not really indicative of my powers, is at least catchy. What recompense can I expect, if I accept this generous offer? Obviously your lieutenant wages weren't enough in the past to prevent someone from running off with your rightfully earned diamonds." Ah, haggling. Ana will have to prove this is worth Merideth's time before she'll accept anything, even though she's toying with the idea.

Madame Deth, hmm....
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, I pay people well." Ana objects, pointing a mushroom at Merideth. "That guy was just a jerk. You see a lot of villains like that- think that being a villain means you can just run around kicking puppies and stabbing everyone in the back for no good reason."

"Anyway, I pay my lieutenants the same amount I get paid, which is a percentage of the takes per heist. Percentages change depending on the job and how many people I have employed, of course." She elaborates. "And if a heist doesn't pay, I usually make up a sum for a successful heist and pay people out on that basis. I think paying for success is a great idea. Keeps people motivated! Makes you put your all into your job, and really get into it. You want to get paid more? Do a better job! Prove everyone can do a better job, and we can try for some more ambitious!"

After swallowing the last mushroom from her bowl, Ana grins. "But really, even though villainous heists have a low success rate, a single successful heist is gonna pay a lot more than your usual job. We're talking millions. People who keep villainous jobs don't do it for the money in the end, they do it because it's fun!"

3. - Top - End - #363

Fun... Merideth could certainly use a bit more fun now, couldn't she? And if it truly paid as well as this girl said...

"A final question, if you'll indulge me. How successful have you been in the past, doing these heists? There must be some opposition in the form of heroes and law enforcement." She's heard things about the forces of good and evil in this city, vying for control day in and day out. She's been mostly apathetic to the entire mess, but now that she might potentially be throwing herself into it, it's only natural for her to worry for her safety.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

"Um... maybe a quarter complete success rate? I've only ever been caught once or twice though, I've always got a good escape plan. Still, I've not tried anything here yet. Gonna be some new variables to account for and such." She says, waving it all off as she bites into her steak ferociously.

"But that's all details. You should try it out, see if you like it. I won't force you to keep a job if you don't want to keep it! I can't make a mind control ray that works anyway, those things are complicated."

5. - Top - End - #365

"Very well, your terms are more than fair. Do you wish to exchange information about our relative abilities? It would make more tactical sense to know our respective strengths and weaknesses beforehand, so as to better syncronize our efforts." Merideth doesn't hint that she's a little curious as to how Ana earned the name "Chimera."

"We could, if you're worried about revealing sensitive information in the midst of potential enemies, retire to a back room? I understand that the tavern rents them for a fee."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure!" Ana says, once she's finished her steak. Picking up her remaining item of food- the loaf of bread- in one hand and tossing it to herself, she makes her way up to the bar again. "My good man! Goblin! Bartender fellow!" She exclaims to Daggernose. "I require one of your back rooms posthaste!"

Taking out her purse again (is that a little smiling sun face on it? Oh heavens, it is), she finds a stack of gold pieces and slaps them on the counter, at which point Daggernose points her towards one of the rooms in question.

At which point, Ana will lead the way to the back room! She peers around suspiciously, taps everything to make sure it is solid, and then turns to Merideth with a grin. "Don't get me wrong, with how I work, my powers are going to be pretty well known before long. But you only get to do the big reveal once, and I don't want to spoil it by showing off in some silly tavern!"

7. - Top - End - #367

Merideth follows, although her pace is very slow for some uneplained reason, barely above average walking speed. Also, her wooden form takes on the grain of the floor she's flowing over, and rather then move her legs she simply glides, as if she were a part of the floor itself.

She'll even glide through the doorway of the room, melting into one side and out of the other. For a brief instant, if Ana is watching carefully, a splotch of her arm turns to brass as it passes through the hinge.

"And my powers, while seeming fairly obvious on the surface, have a level of depth to them not many would suspect. Who shall go first?"

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I'll let you go first- I've already seen what you can do a bit. Might as well learn the rest before we launch into something new." Ana says with a grin. Plus, this gives her a chance to know what she's up against! Gotta try and be more impressive than her minion to be, after all.

9. - Top - End - #369

"I suppose that is true. I am an unbound elemental, not fixed to any one element. Instead, my form incorporates anything near enough to me that isn't magically resistant to my pull. I can meld through walls, and manipulate things I am attached to so long as they're within range. My composition has a slight effect on my emotions, although it may not be noticeable." Merideth demonstrates by raising the room's bed a few inches off the ground with a wave of her hand.

It's still attached to the floor, of course, only slightly higher.

"If we are to make the best use of my abilities, it may be best to acquire an amount of sturdy material I can use as a base form, or something volatile I can usefor destructive purposes." Merideth is not quite monotone, but comes close to it. She's still got that smile on her face though, even while clinically disecting her own abilities.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

"So if you had a suit of armor to wear, you'd probably retain a lot of the qualities of the armor. Intereeeesting." Ana says, tapping her lips thoughtfully, scheming.

"Well! As for me, I didn't choose the name Chimera for nothing." She says cheerfully, raising her arms and spreading them wide. A pair of white wings sprout from her shoulders to match her gesture, while long, wicked claws appear on her fingers. Scales whirl over her skin, then are replaced bone plates, then skin once more. A dragon's head erupts from her right shoulder, before merging back into her flesh as a lion's face springs from her left shoulder, snarling before it recedes in the same manner.

"Shapeshifting!" Ana declares proudly, as she returns to a purely human form. "It's not exactly all powerful, and those extra heads are actually really unwieldy and unnecessary, I use them mostly just for show. Still, there is a lot I can do with it."

11. - Top - End - #371

"Very impressive. What limits are there to the forms you can take? Can you shrink as small as a rodent, or grow to twenty feet tall? I am limited to my own shape, although I can make additions with adequate concentration." To demonstrate, Merideth slowly adds a quintet of wooden claws to her fingertips, although they don't seem very deadly or potent.

"One last thing I should mention. If I move too fast, my draw cannot incorporate new material into my physical form fast enough, and it will crumble around me. In that state, I merely float, ghostlike, wherever I wish. Once I've stopped for a length of time, a new form can be constructed from available material." Not exactly a weakness, or a strength, but a mix of both. When ghostly, Merideth is very hard to sense by non-magical means, but unable to interact with the physical world until she slows down again.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the forms have to be physically possible, but beyond that, there isn't a whole lot of limit of what form I can take. But uh, I have to be able to sustain any forms I want to take. And I have to make them. See, I don't just... change form. Everything I just changed into still exists, and has existed for a while- I just made it show up on my body. So if you wanted me to have wings? I can do that. You want me to turn into a rat? Well, I might be able to make a rat body overnight and turn into one tomorrow. A giant form would take maybe a month or a week, and it might just collapse when I try to use it anyway. Big things need to be really sturdy..."

Ana grins sheepishly. "And that's why I eat so much."

13. - Top - End - #373

Ah. Merideth looks somewhat confused by the mechanics of it all, but seems to at least grasp the basic concept.

"So, how many forms can you sustain at a time? If I'm guessing correctly, it is somewhat dependant on your caloric intake?" Merideth doesn't exactly see the connection between the extra food and other forms, but has an inkling of what it might be. Not bad for someone who never truly needs to eat.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not really limited by number or food so much as volume. The upper end is pretty high, honestly... but the more I've made and keep ready, the more I have to eat. If I ever hit my limit I'd have to eat so much that it would be ludicrous, so it's not something worth sustaining." Ana explains. "Maybe if I were planning something really big I could endure it for a while."

15. - Top - End - #375

"Ah, that is somewhat more limiting than I imagined. Still, a very skillful and, if I may say so, amazing ability. All that remains is for you to decide on a target then, yes?" Ana is the boss, and has much more experience in these matters, so Merideth will defer to her judgement.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

"Why thank you, Merideth. I am rather proud of it." Ana beams at her, obviously pleased by the compliments. "And yes, I do need to decide on a place to case. A plan to can! Or something like that, anyway."

17. - Top - End - #377

"Sadly, I am not familiar with what you would dub a worthy target. What, may I ask, are our options?"

Merideth, for lack of a better thing to do, will glide over to the bed, shedding her mostly wooden state for one made of soiled linen and blankets. The cloth twists and wraps itself into her shape, making a sort of mummy out of her.

Oddly enough, she seems much less aware now, and somewhat sleepy. Still, she pays attention to Ana's response.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

((A post as promised. :-P))

Wings does wait for Alysha's reply to her confusion about 'darkness in his heart.' ((If you already posted that response... I missed it so please poke me toward it.))

"Well, it is decided then, the goal is to convince Brian this is a lovely place to stay so that he'll stop trying to climb the social ladder back in our world at my grievous expense.

Step one will be to avoid getting ambushed the moment I walk out the door. For that, if a couple of you would be willing to leave with me, I'd appreciate it.

Step two is Sevet's call. You have three choices my friend. Openly leave with me, and have Brian immediately know you changed sides and then we all can deal with the fallout of that later. Choice two, stay inside when I leave. Brian will have to follow to track me. You can slip out while he's following me and that way you can put off dealing with him for a while longer. Choice three, after I go, seek him out immediately. You could tell him I offered you a job helping me set up a home for lost animals, just don't mention you took my offer. Say you told me you'd get back to me on that. He will probably like the idea of you having a good reason to keep tabs on me. Then you can be the inside man trying to convince him to live and let live. Choice is all yours."

She then stretches out her arms and rolls her head to work the kinks out of her neck.

"That's it. Can't deal with sitting any longer."

Somehow... it looks like something is bothering her conscious as much as all the sitting is bothering her muscles.
    Expect my character 'Wanderer' to simply vanish. Please always err on the side of continuing without me. My schedule makes my posting patchy at times and I don't want to hold up other folks' fun.

Former alias: wingrae, Wooly Winged Wonder

I'm officially back! Whee! I should be able to post regularly for a few months :-)

19. - Top - End - #379
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alysha searches for the right words for a moment.

I guess...well... She shakes her head. Nevermind...That wouldn't apply.

Guess she didn't fully think it through.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"What wouldn't apply, Alysha?" Winguardia seems genuinely interested, so she gently prods Alysha for more info.
    Expect my character 'Wanderer' to simply vanish. Please always err on the side of continuing without me. My schedule makes my posting patchy at times and I don't want to hold up other folks' fun.

I'm officially back! Whee! I should be able to post regularly for a few months :-)

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I was thinking the first thing I need is a base. And I'm not the type for secret damp dirty underground lairs, so maybe take over a nice hotel or something?" Ana muses, dropping into a chair. "I haven't really seen one that stands out though. I'd like to find a really expensive one, maybe a combination hotel casino or something that I can rob and take over at the same time."

22. - Top - End - #382

"The only casino I know of is that one Magtok owns, and it's not even a hotel. There's a bunch of other places to gamble, but none of them are really large enough to make for a good hit, and a decent base afterwards." Woah woah, hold the phone. Not only has Merideth's voice changed, but her entire tone and posture with it. Far from the serene, somewhat haughty woman earlier, she's now acting rather dopey and bubbly.

One of the "minor" emotional changes, no doubt. Hopefully Ana can put up with wild changes in mood, if she's planning on keeping Merideth around.

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOfWar View Post
    "What wouldn't apply, Alysha?" Winguardia seems genuinely interested, so she gently prods Alysha for more info.
    Well... Alysha shakes her Keyblade a little. One of the main uses of a Keyblade is to dispatch Heartless, which are creatures created when somebody gives in to the darkness within themselves. I was thinking at first that this guy might be one, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that he isn't. So, my Keyblade wouldn't really affect him more than a normal sword.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

24. - Top - End - #384
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"That is fascinating, Alysha, such a weapon would be exceptionally useful." Wingaurdia replies. "I have seen some, both humans and Celestials, go bad like that, and I hope he has not reached that point."

"And now it is time to get moving, if you ladies want to go that is." Winguardia says. "And if you're ready to make your decision, Sevet."

25. - Top - End - #385

Alysha nods and stands up. She'll continue holding the kitten until Sevet asks for it back.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

[Back Room]

"Hm... what about Holowtinns?" Ana suggests. "It's not exactly built to be a place to live, but I hear it has all kinds of underground passages. That'd be awesome to use for a base!" She says excitedly.

"We'd need a lot more people working with us to successfully take it over though, and it might be a nice idea to keep the bank running as a good front. If we kept it running we'd need to decide how exactly to make a profit..."

27. - Top - End - #387

Back Room

Merideth nods, blinking drowsily, "A good target, yeah. Maybe we can... find some more people then? Like you found me, out there." She gives a vague wave towards the door, probably indicating the rest of the bar.

"Ohhhh, and there's that place on the hill right? The big black shiny tower. I bet they totally have stuff worth stealing and junk."

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Alysha nods and stands up. She'll continue holding the kitten until Sevet asks for it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyOfWar View Post
    "That is fascinating, Alysha, such a weapon would be exceptionally useful." Wingaurdia replies. "I have seen some, both humans and Celestials, go bad like that, and I hope he has not reached that point."

"And now it is time to get moving, if you ladies want to go that is." Winguardia says. "And if you're ready to make your decision, Sevet."
    Sevet's body is dead still (HA!) as he works out his choice out loud only for the sake of the others. "I'd need a way to contact you for number two or three. Number one will probably make him less susceptible to arguement, having been betrayed and all. I'm not sure how well I can hide from a guy who tracks across dimensions. Logically number three works best. Duplicity is nothing new to me, but it's also the most dangerous..." He crosses his legs. "If I get caught I'm screwed. Staying with you is safest but it ruins your chance at diplomacy..." Seems he's struggling with the line between loyalty and self-preservation, his two guiding forces.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Does this Town have cellular phone service? If it does, I have these." She pulls a pair of cheep burner phones from her pocket.

That solves the communication problem.

30. - Top - End - #390

"Cell service works fine. But if I call screaming in fear, save me, please." Sevet says rather calmly. He'll take the cell phone and stick it in his robes. Seems he made up his mind with the cell phone offer. Turning to Alysha he days, "Take care of Matchstick until I get back."

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters