New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den IX

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "I never heard of a 'demon' before you just mentioned it." Cessie admits. "It doesn't sound like anything that exists there either. Your souls seem to work different as well. How exactly can one lose a soul? And if they did, can they still function?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    "Your soul makes you who you are. Demons are creatures born of evil who look to corrupt souls and make more of them."

"For the most part from my understanding." Harnel adds afterwords, recognizing a slight possibility that there may be a difference here.
    Yusa had opened her mouth to answer Cessie's inquiry when Harnel spoke instead. She closed her mouth with a frown, a hard sigh through her nose, and counted to five before starting again, amazingly patient compared to what the demoness usually was. But a lot was at stake with this. And she had to keep reminding herself she might not get another chance. "They get lost in my world because they are given up to us. In a way, you could argue they aren't truly lost, because they must be passed willingly. Neither the Daemoenica nor lesser demons of my world can steal a soul."

Yusa tipped her head a bit to the side, meeting Harnel's eyes. "And yes. Born of evil is accurate. But my Master is still an angel. By this logic, origins don't matter one damn bit." She tried to keep the umbrage out of her tone, but she couldn't help the sliver that eked through.
    My avatar Saer made by the lovely, talented Gnomish Wanderer! Thank you!

I try to check OOC thread, but I'm not terribly loyal to it. Best way to get my attention is to PM me. Harass me, please!

KCDC

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

Furt gets back into the truck bed without incident, barring a few snorts and grumbles. He knows the drill by now.

And somewhere in his chaos-eaten mind, the rat-ogre knows they're following the smelly half-thing, which means he may get to eat very soon.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Why should it seem so odd a choice when invertebrates are the most common life form in existence? Not only in terms of diversity but also in sheer numbers. As to why people would worship him, well. Fleas, mosquitoes, locusts, weevils, brainbeetles and other such pests are His domain. If He is worshipped properly, He ensures bountiful harvests. If He is angered, the harvest is devoured by locusts, whilst grain shipments are full of weevils. He has some influence on disease, as well, though only those spread by flying insects." Madame de la Moy has practised this speech many times, and uses it rather regularly. That fact shows in how easily it is said, and a mad dwarf on the other side of the bar who mutters the words along with her.
    "I suppose so. Makes enough sense." Velka picks up her glass again and swirls the contents. "So how does he feel about others butting in on his domain?" She downs the rest of her drink.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Orc in the Playground

"He would like to claim the title Lord of the Flies, which is held by some duke of hell or other, and Lolth is slightly worried about Him, though He's done nothing against Her yet. Why do you ask?" That's an unusual question to ask, and Gertrude's now worried that she might have encountered a priestess to a new god, strange to her cosmology.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

"So you serve an angel... ah, these terms are going to be confusing after a while since they might mean so different things." She sigh. "In any case, you like to go to this 'hell' with you and collect the soul of Zam since dragging a dragon soul there is the only reason you'd be allowed inside." She pauses a moment and bites her lip. "Is this a good time souls work differently in my world?"

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, no reason. Just curious." Velka doesn't let on what she's thinking, though she is smiling slightly. She may or may not have intended to make Gertrude worry.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Orc in the Playground

"Curiosity is good. Without curiosity there is no discovery, and without discovery there is stagnation. Although stagnation can be a good thing. Some of those chemical pesticides are absolutely horrendous, though often have a negative effect for the users, too." Pesticides wipe out everything. Use them on an aphid-infested plant, and the aphids will die; but so will the ladybirds, lacewings, and other natural predators. The worst part for the farmer is that an aphid has an incredibly short generation time- a female will give birth to many females in a day, some of which will start giving birth to more females later that day. It takes one resistant survivor in spring or summer to create a new colony of aphids, whilst a ladybird takes longer to mature, and I'm not certain how long a lacewing would take.

Although aphids are an unusual example due to their reproductive cycle.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2012-04-03 at 05:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're looking for a born and bred dragon soul. By this logic origins matter quite a bit." Harnel counters.

Not stolen. Given up willingly. Just like the demon is asking them to do right now.

Harnel sips at his drink once more, looking at Cessie with curiosity. This was new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Pixie in the Playground

"So you serve an angel... ah, these terms are going to be confusing after a while since they might mean so different things." She sigh. "In any case, you like to go to this 'hell' with you and collect the soul of Zam since dragging a dragon soul there is the only reason you'd be allowed inside." She pauses a moment and bites her lip. "Is this a good time souls work differently in my world?"
    "You're looking for a born and bred dragon soul. By this logic origins matter quite a bit." Harnel counters.

Not stolen. Given up willingly. Just like the demon is asking them to do right now.

Harnel sips at his drink once more, looking at Cessie with curiosity. This was new.
    To Harnel's logic, all Yusa could do was offer a single nod. "Touché. Allow me to clarify. Being born a dragon doesn't automatically make you 'good'." The demoness shrugged and left it there. She didn't feel the second part of the argument needed to be said. They were smart. They'd figure it out.

Turning her head, she regarded Cessie for a breath before answering her question, vaguely bemused. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're asking, Cessie?"

I try to check OOC thread, but I'm not terribly loyal to it. Best way to get my attention is to PM me. Harass me, please!

KCDC

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Curiosity is good. Without curiosity there is no discovery, and without discovery there is stagnation. Although stagnation can be a good thing. Some of those chemical pesticides are absolutely horrendous, though often have a negative effect for the users, too." Pesticides wipe out everything. Use them on an aphid-infested plant, and the aphids will die; but so will the ladybirds, lacewings, and other natural predators. The worst part for the farmer is that an aphid has an incredibly short generation time- a female will give birth to many females in a day, some of which will start giving birth to more females later that day. It takes one resistant survivor in spring or summer to create a new colony of aphids, whilst a ladybird takes longer to mature, and I'm not certain how long a lacewing would take.

Although aphids are an unusual example due to their reproductive cycle.
    Velka raises an eyebrow. "You sure know a lot about insects, don't you? Suppose it comes with the territory, eh?" She chuckles a little.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh, yes. It does come with the territory, along with power granted by Dalachrech, if you're faith is strong enough." i.e., a cleric.

12. - Top - End - #882

The sorceress sigh, "The soul you're talking about is a product of the body, not the other way around, the body produces aether energy or spirit energy in layman terms. This collection is what we call 'the soul' where I'm from. That's not what's important though in my case. I can summon eldritch energy since before I was born a being know as an eternal took what would have been my souls place." She explains. "The same eternal have lived lives before me, I'm just one of it's incarnations. It's separate from me. Even if I wanted to give you a soul, I'm not even sure I could." The sorceress pauses again. "So what exactly do you want me to do? Since it sounds like you are asking a lot."

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

"So you're one of those magicy religious types. Shoulda figured. You wouldn't be the first magic user I've come across around these parts." Velka absent mindedly fiddles with her empty glass.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes and being born of evil does not make you automatically... oh wait.

Harnel doesn't say anything though. It might all turn out to be moot if Cessie's soul turns out to not meet the conditions Yusa is looking for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

Jakus Shifts gears after the other two are situated properly. Jakus takes extra care to make sure that Dipsnig will be fine where he is, since someone small like that could be in a lot of trouble if this monster of a vehicle got into a wreck.

Afterwards, he drives off towards where the map is taking them.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Pixie in the Playground

The sorceress sigh, "The soul you're talking about is a product of the body, not the other way around, the body produces aether energy or spirit energy in layman terms. This collection is what we call 'the soul' where I'm from. That's not what's important though in my case. I can summon eldritch energy since before I was born a being know as an eternal took what would have been my souls place." She explains. "The same eternal have lived lives before me, I'm just one of it's incarnations. It's separate from me. Even if I wanted to give you a soul, I'm not even sure I could." The sorceress pauses again. "So what exactly do you want me to do? Since it sounds like you are asking a lot."
    Yes and being born of evil does not make you automatically... oh wait.

Harnel doesn't say anything though. It might all turn out to be moot if Cessie's soul turns out to not meet the conditions Yusa is looking for.
    The demoness listened to Cessie's description with interest. Her eyes narrowed somewhat in thought when she'd reached her conclusion. Yusa had a soul-sense. She could see them. But it was a lot like trying to see the 3-D image on one of those Magic Eye posters. If she wasn't actively trying to perceive it, she simply didn't.

Yusa tried just that, at the moment.

Her gaze blanked out for several breaths which she sought the shimmer she'd leaned is present in an ensouled body.

Cessie was absolutely right.

Yusa blinked and leaned back. "There is nothing in you I could use." Strangely, she didn't soon too perturbed. "However, there are two of you." Ah, that was why. Yusa turned her eyes to Harnel and raised one of her brows. "Half would do. It was a half-dragon who got me into this in the first place." She tried to sound glib about it, but her voice quieted a touch at the end.

Leaning back in her chair, she stopped talking and awaited their reactions. She had some ideas as to how this would work, but the deal was still rocky at best. She was still half-expecting them to walk away. Expecting the worst, hoping for the best.
    Last edited by kitcatk8; 2012-04-04 at 07:00 PM.

KCDC

17. - Top - End - #887
    Orc in the Playground

"Lots of different magic-users, using lots of different magics in different ways. But this is an interdimensional crossroads, so what else should one expect? In fact, that's why Dalachrech chose the Nexus to rebuild His faith, as it enables Him to convert new worlds and realities, ones where He formerly did not and could not reach. But Dalachrech has learnt the perils of relying too much on one world, and won't do that again." Gertrude nods, smiling. "Would you like me to buy you a refill?"

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your master isn't picky then, hmmm?" Harnel says with a frown. It was bad enough that... blech. Better him than Cessie at least.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #889

"Yes, what exactly will happen if we would go to this 'hell'?" Cessie asks in turn.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure, I won't stop you." Velka isn't about to turn down a free drink. Especially since she has limited funds. "There sounbds like there's a story behind him not just sticking to one world."

21. - Top - End - #891
    Pixie in the Playground

"Your master isn't picky then, hmmm?" Harnel says with a frown. It was bad enough that... blech. Better him than Cessie at least.
    "Yes, what exactly will happen if we would go to this 'hell'?" Cessie asks in turn.
    Yusa took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "No, It's not picky. Not so long as I'm doing as It says. I know it's difficult to take my word on this, but my plan isn't to sacrifice one of you. If we had it my way, I'd rescue Zam and you two could go on doing...whatever it is...you might do." She waved a hand dismissively. That was a sensitive topic. The demoness tried not to broach it too handily. "Since you," She gestured to Cessie, "can't come to the Hells, I would have you remain here and wait for him," she gestured to Harnel, "to return from them with me, and hopefully, Zam. I'm not a fool. I know you won't risk so much without anything in return. So I'm willing to offer up some collateral which will keep me honest and keep him safe." She nodded again in Harnel's direction. "Unless you have some way of going to the Hells with us. But your mortal body can't travel there. Might you have a...spell...enchantment...charm of some kind that would help you do that?"

((And please see my post in OOC.))

KCDC

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw it. Thanks for letting us know.

"What sort of collateral?" Harnel asks, honestly curious as to what could qualify as collateral in a situation like this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #893

"I could send an elemental there if that's possible. Not that I'm sure what counts as a 'mortal' body for you." Cessie suggests. "It's basically a piece of the elemental realm infused by my will."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-04-05 at 03:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Orc in the Playground

After arranging a refill for Velka's glass, Gertrude leans back. "Yes, there is. Dalachrech focussed His attention upon one world. He had followers elsewhere, of course; but the majority of His power depended on this one world. Then along came an omnicidal undead wizard and destroyed the place. My high priest was the only survivor."

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Velka shakes her head. Omnicidal wizard. Some times she just can't make sense of these kind of things. "That's unfortunate. It's a god thing your high priest got out of there alright." Good for Dalachrech at least. The goblin sounds indifferent.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Orc in the Playground

Not just any omnicidal wizard.
    This was an undead omnicidal wizard.

"Oh, yes. Very good thing indeed. Though on the whole I think that's one world which is better off gone. The main deity was a God of Tyranny; He'd killed and replaced the God of Justice two hundred years before the world's destruction and slowly the place was going downhill; the Tyrant God had banned the worship of other deities, even the Goddess of Fertility." Gertrude explains it all rather neutrally.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

"Damn, active deities. I'm not sure there's much that's worse." Velka isn't worried about offending Gertrude, but she figures that Dalachrech isn't that sort anyway. So no harm done as far as she figures.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Orc in the Playground

"Not 'smite-my-foes-with-thunder' active, no. They were as active as Dalachrech- slight, subtle alterations of events within their purview and sending visions to their clergy, or communicating through extraplanar messengers." Dalachrech controls how many locusts are in a swarm, and has some control over where the swarm goes. The God of Justice would subtly influence trial-by-fire/combat/water/etc to prove the innocence or guilt of the accused. The God of Tyranny could make minor alterations to a law in the making so its effects are more negative than positive, or clouds the judgement of politicians so they think a bad idea is a good one.

So Dalachrech is probably the least subtle here.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Meidani walks in, looking around for Naethalee!

For looks... well, see the spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tektek has failed me. Oh, I can get the general style of what she's wearing, but the colors are another matter.

So, think this, but more brown. The skirt's also longer.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2012-04-05 at 10:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

Naethalee happens to walk in about a minute later, wearing a tight black leather top and leather skirt - in addition to her traditional black leather boots/scabbards...
    She nods to Meidani with a smirk, then goes to arrange the use of a back room!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items