New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Why carry the carpet?

I noticed Rich wants to make it implicit that that carpet is on their hands. We all know why...its because that carpet is the ticket for the linear guild to find them and I think that plan will only works because the laws of drama.

Think about it. They cant use the carpet in the windy cannyon as it is...windy. So what does Haley usually do with itens that are unused? Put it in the bag of holding.

So if the carpet is in the bag of holding, it is supposed to be in like...another dimension? So what happens if the linear guild teleports to the carpet in the bag of holding? They stay in the bag of holding trapped.

As it would be horrible for drama to end the magnificent plan of Tarkin in such manner, the carpet is transported around by the kobold, which could be much more useful with the weapons at hand as is the rest of the order....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Why carry the carpet?

This is a good point. However, I don't think LG's plan is to teleport to the mark, only to track it. It is possible that a wizard could develop a mark that could be tracked from inside a bag of holding; it seems like a very useful invention, for the very reason you describe.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Maybe the carpet simply doesn't fit in a Bag of Holding? I mean, they're supposed to be bigger on the inside, but the opening should still have a limited size, so really big items wouldn't fit, and even rolled up, the carpet's dimensions are sill bigger than a regular bag's. It's not in RAW, but it's a sensible house rule.
    Last edited by Roland Itiative; 2012-02-19 at 12:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    Maybe the carpet simply doesn't fit in a Bag of Holding? I mean, they're supposed to be bigger on the inside, but the opening should still have a limited size, so really big items wouldn't fit, and even rolled up, the carpet's dimensions are sill bigger than a regular bag's. It's not in RAW, but it's a sensible house rule.
    Being unable to stuff a rolled-up carpet into a Bag of Holding because its dimensions are too big defies intuition. It's only long in one dimension; shove it in lengthwise, should be no problem.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

they carry the carpet because they are going on a picnic and want to invite Draketooth with it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Haley put Roy's Armor/Corpse into it before, so it's probably not because the opening is too small. I'm guessing they are carrying it because they might need it at short moment notice. I'm not sure if the wind can block flying by the carpet, but if they are not using it, it's probably the case. So that means the carpet might have other function available to them that might be useful when combat arise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Same reason the cat is ridding on its head because it visually coveys the right emotion: Mostly harmless

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by cloudland View Post
    Haley put Roy's Armor/Corpse into [red][a back of holding][/font] before, so it's probably not because the opening is too small.
    At what strip did this happen?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't remember. She did have a bunch of carts in them though, so the size issue probably doesn't matter as much as you would think. I'm voting for Rich/OOtS just not thinking of putting it in the bag of holding.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

If they need to make a quick escape (say, in the event of something going "KRAKOOM!"), the carpet is their only option. Best not to have to fish around in a bag of holding for it.
    Last edited by Shale; 2012-02-19 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by cloudland View Post
    Haley put Roy's Armor/Corpse into it before, so it's probably not because the opening is too small. I'm guessing they are carrying it because they might need it at short moment notice. I'm not sure if the wind can block flying by the carpet, but if they are not using it, it's probably the case. So that means the carpet might have other function available to them that might be useful when combat arise.
    Nitpick: Haley planned on putting Roy's Corpse in a bag of holding. belkar objected on the hrounds that putting it in might trigger the Mark of Justice if the alternate dimension was considered to be effectively more than the proscribed distance he had to be from Roy.

Granted, if Haley planned to do it then the mouth of the bag should have been big enough.

Edit: I must be bored after doing the household accounts... I'm referring to 537: What Do You Think Comes in a Disguise Kit, Anyway? - 3rd panel. Not that I need an excuse to trot through the archives, of course.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2012-02-19 at 10:28 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

If the kobold snaps out of his control then he's not holding his weapons?

13. - Top - End - #13

It smells like Febreze and they just can't resist keeping it close?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by torugo View Post
    I noticed Rich wants to make it implicit that that carpet is on their hands. We all know why...its because that carpet is the ticket for the linear guild to find them and I think that plan will only works because the laws of drama.

Think about it. They cant use the carpet in the windy cannyon as it is...windy. So what does Haley usually do with itens that are unused? Put it in the bag of holding.

So if the carpet is in the bag of holding, it is supposed to be in like...another dimension? So what happens if the linear guild teleports to the carpet in the bag of holding? They stay in the bag of holding trapped.

As it would be horrible for drama to end the magnificent plan of Tarkin in such manner, the carpet is transported around by the kobold, which could be much more useful with the weapons at hand as is the rest of the order....
    That...does...make much sense. If they were going to teleport anywhere, why not teleport to Elan, or any other member of the Order. Or even Yukyuk. Why would they pick an inanimate object as opposed to one of the people they're tracking?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Bag of holdings send objects into a demi-plane, so the LG wouldn't be able to teleport to it unless teleportation allow transportation to another plane. And even if they manage, they might not find the exit before they ran out of oxygen.

That said, bags of holding have a limited capacity anyway and we don't know how many items Haley stored in hers, though I remember her saying she got at least three. I somehow doubt she managed to fill all of them fully, though it might depends on the capacity of her bags.

As for the need to keep the carpet at hand in case of urgent escape need, I guess Haley don't have the Heward's handy haversack that allow to always get the wanted item first. Or it don't have enough space remaining to store it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

They're not planning to teleport to the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin
    "The flying carpet I gave your brother has a tiny rune stitched on the underside. With the right spell, it should be child's play to track Elan."
    Which makes a lot more sense, because how would they even know when would be the appropriate moment to teleport?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Haley might have filled them when she robbed the prison for Roy and Belkar's equipment (it goes without say she stole more than just that). I'm also guessing she robbed the palace when she and V freed the slaves.

Also, would taking the time to put down the carpet and pull out his crossbows buy V extra time to recast Dominate Person before he can shoot anyone? At the very least, it would alert the rest of the party that he shook off the spell and get them ready to incapacitate him.

It could also be a way of humiliating Yukyuk (by treating him like a servant) without offending the Good members of the party.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Perhaps there's a naked princess inside the carpet.

There are looking for Girard afterall.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because it forwards the plot, as above, is the obvious out-of-story answer. It doesn't make particular sense in-story, though - Haley shoves objects as massive as a cart into her bags of holding, and she has several. "A girl can never have too much extradimensional space." (paraphrasing)
    The one destroyed by YukYuk earlier might have also been intended to justify the lack of its use, though it fails to in terms of presenting a lack of available ED space.

Maybe it's Haley's particular punishment for destroying her bag? You broke it, you carry items that would have gone into its extradimensional space.
    Last edited by Tulya; 2012-02-19 at 04:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tulya View Post
    Because it forwards the plot, as above, is the obvious out-of-story answer. It doesn't make particular sense in-story, though - Haley shoves objects as massive as a cart into her bags of holding, and she has several. "A girl can never have too much extradimensional space." (paraphrasing)
    The one destroyed by YukYuk earlier might have also been intended to justify the lack of its use, though it also fails to in terms of presenting a lack of available ED space.

Maybe it's Haley's particular punishment for destroying her bag? You broke it, you carry items that would have gone into its extradimensional space.
    It wasn't destroyed, Belkar put everything back in it. Except he and Roy's equipment, which I now realize means there should be room now if there wasn't before.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    It wasn't destroyed, Belkar put everything back in it. Except he and Roy's equipment, which I now realize means there should be room now if there wasn't before.
    Bah, faulty memory. Someone should make a patch for that.

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Hmm that bit about carrying the carts in the bag of holding has me wondering... if the carts fit in there why didn't the loot itself fit in there?

I guess a bunch of carts and donkeys is significantly less weight than a bunch of gold? And if so, seems like the cart would break down

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by torugo View Post
    I don't see what some carpet antics have to do with crushing the Rebel Alliance and ruling the Galaxy with an iron fist.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    Hmm that bit about carrying the carts in the bag of holding has me wondering... if the carts fit in there why didn't the loot itself fit in there?

I guess a bunch of carts and donkeys is significantly less weight than a bunch of gold? And if so, seems like the cart would break down
    They already had the mounts at that time. They just store them in Mount Parking off-screen while not in use.

And yeah, gold is extremely heavy for the same volume, and bags of holding are limited by both its internal dimensions and maximum weight capacity.

Edit:
    Bah again, I say. They tied the horses up that time.
    Last edited by Tulya; 2012-02-19 at 06:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    I don't see what some carpet antics have to do with crushing the Rebel Alliance and ruling the Galaxy with an iron fist.
    He'll never be able to locate the Rebel Base without the tracking device on it, naturally.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    He'll never be able to locate the Rebel Base without the tracking device on it, naturally.
    Obviously all he needs is to send drones to the various locations suspected of being rebel bases. And by drones I mean red shirt guards with a sending scroll to use right before they are killed.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Nitpick: Haley planned on putting Roy's Corpse in a bag of holding. belkar objected on the hrounds that putting it in might trigger the Mark of Justice if the alternate dimension was considered to be effectively more than the proscribed distance he had to be from Roy.

Granted, if Haley planned to do it then the mouth of the bag should have been big enough.

Edit: I must be bored after doing the household accounts... I'm referring to 537: What Do You Think Comes in a Disguise Kit, Anyway? - 3rd panel. Not that I need an excuse to trot through the archives, of course.
    I'm going to outnitpick your nitpick with http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html - in which Haley first suggests putting Roy in the bag of holding (and Belkar originally objects)

(but I don't know why I'm doing that. OCD or something, probably)
    Last edited by Soylent Dave; 2012-02-19 at 11:59 PM.
    Probably not a robot from the future sent back to exterminate all human life.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Soylent Dave View Post
    I'm going to outnitpick your nitpick with http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html - in which Haley first suggests putting Roy in the bag of holding (and Belkar originally objects)

(but I don't know why I'm doing that. OCD or something, probably)
    Well spotted - Now we can take our pick on nits!

(Actually, this is the one I was thinking of originally. When I dug out the other strip I was sure that Belkar was much more emphatic about it, but put it down to my failing memory.)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    If they need to make a quick escape (say, in the event of something going "KRAKOOM!"), the carpet is their only option. Best not to have to fish around in a bag of holding for it.
    This makes sense.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Second vote for this explanation. While there is strict limits on what a bag of holding can contain in terms of weight and size, it's clear they are being ignored for funny. But retrieving a specific item from a bag takes a full round action normally. And that is when it contains no more than 60 lbs of material (the max) Who knows how long it takes to retrieve a specific item in the mess Haley has in hers. But having YukYuk drop the carpet is a free action. That makes all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-23 at 01:36 AM.