New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches in d&d?

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Watches in d&d?

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Yeah, who needs to sleep I can sit all night turning hourglass upside down
    D&D characters don't have to sleep, they just have to rest.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haron View Post
    The gods are a poor bunch anyway, they never get any sleep. With the different planetary timezones, and the time differences between planes, there's always someone praying to them. That's also why gods don't interfere with mortals much: They're busy granting spells all the time!
    Granting spells isn't actually a conscious action, and Outsiders don't need to sleep (but the gods with Wizard level still need to rest for eight hours to regain their spells).
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Granting spells isn't actually a conscious action, and Outsiders don't need to sleep (but the gods with Wizard level still need to rest for eight hours to regain their spells).
    I still have the image in my head of the gods granting them actively, like Thor grants Durkon's spells, with misunderstandings and all, but maybe that's just silly me ;)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    D&D characters don't have to sleep, they just have to rest.
    Rest
    To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
    Every Listen check adds an hour to your rest. Sweet dreams

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Every Listen check adds an hour to your rest.
    Listen can be used while sleeping.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Unless the DM is really out to get you, most divine characters will know when it's time to pray. Why? Because it's annoying to keep track of. Who wants to end up with a powerless character because you were 2 minutes late trying to get your prayers on? Especially if you're late because you were in a random or story encounter at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    There is a water clock in the Player's Handbook. Which kind of sucks.

You could track it with spell durations, too. Take your shirt off before praying, and cast Endure Elements. It lasts for 24 hours. When you suddenly get goose bumps, you know it is time to renew the spell and pray again.
    Which then tells you that you're an hour late. And you're SOL if you get dispelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Yeah, who needs to sleep I can sit all night turning hourglass upside down
    No one in your party stands watch at night?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Unless the DM is really out to get you, most divine characters will know when it's time to pray. Why? Because it's annoying to keep track of. Who wants to end up with a powerless character because you were 2 minutes late trying to get your prayers on?
    Yes, I don't expect my DM to screw me because I was a` few minutes late. But I wanted to add some fluff to character.

Especially if you're late because you were in a random or story encounter at that time.
    Actually PHb that if I can't pray at my scheduled time for some reason I will gain spells I I'll pray right after interruption stops.

No one in your party stands watch at night?
    They do but I'm not sure they will e willing to. And hourglass is inaccurate.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

It's accurate enough for our purposes. All it needs to tell you is a particular hour.
    Even the highly inaccurate, one dialled Nuremberg Egg, one of the very first pocket watches, was suitable for this purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I know in the 1600s there was a handy little device called a diptych (which might be a more general term; 'pocket sundial' might also work), which was a combination sundial/compass. It looked like a hinged box, both halves attached with a string opposite the hinge. If you opened it up and oriented yourself north, the string would cast a shadow onto a sundial, telling you the time. The ones I've used are usually accurate within half an hour or so.

The universal equinoctial ring dial is another option (again, 1600s), and has the added benefit of looking really cool.
    Wikipedia should have a whole article on sundials and such; might be worth checking out.
    Last edited by RobD; 2012-01-23 at 04:31 PM.