New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Aberration-Based PrC/Spells?

I'm not going to bother with explaining the context, but I'm looking for one or several prestige classes that are based upon aberrations- be it by controlling them, summoning them, becoming them, whatever, I'd like to hear it. In addition, any spells, from any list, that deal with aberrations favorably and directly would be welcome. I'm alright with anything from any WotC book or from DragMag.
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Aberration-Based PrC/Spells?

Lords of Madness would be your best go-to source for such things.

Prestige Classes from that book mostly concern fighting aberrations, but there's a PRC called the Fleshwarper which specializes in grafting things to their bodies; I think in the end they actually become aberrations (I know their familiars do). It's really hard to get in to, though.

Said book contains a number of Aberrant Feats that give your character unsettling, aberration-y things. Extendable limbs, webbed feat, compound eyes, etc.

There's also some aberration-flavored spells; Undulant Innards is one, I believe, that makes your internal organs move around and makes you less vulnerable to precision damage and critical hits.

The Book of Vile Darkness might also have some things of use; a few Beholder-related spells, if I'm not mistaken. *belch*
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-11-25 at 08:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I was considering fleshwarper, and I'd looked at BoVD with little success. I'll look into some of those feats and spells.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Fleshwarper's do indeed become aberrations as a capstone. Their prestige class requires Heal 10, knowledge (Arcana) 4, graft flesh and a familiar to qualify. (You technically don't even have to be a spell caster to get in). they have 9/10 casting and graft reserve points akin to artificers and get special qualities as they go up in levels to make them more akin to aberrations.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The Alienist PrC from Complete Arcane technically focuses on the Far Realm, not aberrations, but the flavor is very close. Essentially is an easy to enter PrC with Lovecraftian overtones which focuses on summoning creatures from beyond. As you progress in the PrC, you gain more weirdness.

Complete Psion has a PrC Flayerspawn Psychic where you gradually gain aspects of an Illithid. Unfortunately, the PrC is not well written (at least one bit refers to augmenting an ability with no augments).

There's an Illithidkid PrC in Dragon Magazine- I don't remember the exact issue, and I think that's 3.0 rather than 3.5.

There's a PrC in one of the Forgotten Realms books where one grows an eye and pledges fealty to a beholder, in return for gaining beholder like abilities. Someone else may remember the name or where it is.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    There's a PrC in one of the Forgotten Realms books where one grows an eye and pledges fealty to a beholder, in return for gaining beholder like abilities. Someone else may remember the name or where it is.
    Ocular Adept, Faiths and Pantheons.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Unfortunately, Alienist is really quite poor, since you give up everything good on the summon monster lists and lose a bunch of Wisdom in the process.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Unfortunately, Alienist is really quite poor, since you give up everything good on the summon monster lists and lose a bunch of Wisdom in the process.
    I concur, I'm afraid. I had a look at alienist, and it's really not what I'm looking for, as well as being terrible for the player.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So, what about summoning or, preferably, controlling aberrations? Does anyone know any PrC, Spell, or Feat that allows this? Any way to rebuke/command them?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The best way to do that, I think, is with Binder (Tome of Magic), making a Pact with Zceryll. An Anima Mage would also be appropriate.

It's conceivable that you could make an Aberration Domain that would allow you to rebuke Aberrations, but that would require some homebrewing, particularly for the spells you'd include.
    Last edited by Answerer; 2012-11-25 at 09:28 PM.