New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: American Mythology Setting (Help is welcome!)

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Ooh, I like it! Would each priest be well-versed in a particular area of society so that they can work together to pilot their society?
    Since we decided earlier to use Legend as this world's System, how about we split the priesthood up into Orders, each corresponding to a class of magic? In Legend, we have Creation, Evocation, Divination and Transmutation. I'm thinking Divination would always be the Highest ranking Order, Transmutation would be the head of all Construction/City-Planning/Building projects within VB, with Evocation and Creation fighting it out in clerical disputes (some violent, some diplomatic) as to which is superior. Perhaps it isn't even that laid out, with VB on the brink of religious civil war at a moment's notice (not too far off from RL Mexican history).

Could the priests of Viejo Borado be funding the Pancho Villa-analogue and making sure Blackfox gets intel that destabilizes the Allende regime? With the eventual hope that they reunify?
    While I can see Pseudo-Pancho Villa (Esteban Echevarria?) being funded and aided by VB, Blackfox shouldn't need their help. As close as he is to the Zorro figure, he would instead simply pass for a wealthy idiot friend of the Nuevo Presidente-Generalismo Doroteo (from Pancho Villa's real middle name). It's like if Gerald Ford put on a batman disguise at night and beat up Nixon's body guards .

And another thing: Do the Viejo Boradoans want to reunify? We know the Nuevos probably don't (minus a fringe group of warhawks who want to reclaim the Palace of the Old Gods) since they wanted to break apart in the first part. The Nuevos are outcasts to the Viejos however. What would they gain by bringing the Heretics back into the fold? Especially considering the Nuevos probably won't willingly cast aside their technology gained through study. All it is is a recipe for a violent second civil war down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Since we decided earlier to use Legend as this world's System, how about we split the priesthood up into Orders, each corresponding to a class of magic? In Legend, we have Creation, Evocation, Divination and Transmutation. I'm thinking Divination would always be the Highest ranking Order, Transmutation would be the head of all Construction/City-Planning/Building projects within VB, with Evocation and Creation fighting it out in clerical disputes (some violent, some diplomatic) as to which is superior. Perhaps it isn't even that laid out, with VB on the brink of religious civil war at a moment's notice (not too far off from RL Mexican history).
    Sounds good.

While I can see Pseudo-Pancho Villa (Esteban Echevarria?) being funded and aided by VB, Blackfox shouldn't need their help. As close as he is to the Zorro figure, he would instead simply pass for a wealthy idiot friend of the Nuevo Presidente-Generalismo Doroteo (from Pancho Villa's real middle name). It's like if Gerald Ford put on a batman disguise at night and beat up Nixon's body guards .
    That is a great mental image. I'd just like you to know. Also Generalissimo Dorotea and Esteban Echevarria are great names.

And another thing: Do the Viejo Boradoans want to reunify? We know the Nuevos probably don't (minus a fringe group of warhawks who want to reclaim the Palace of the Old Gods) since they wanted to break apart in the first part. The Nuevos are outcasts to the Viejos however. What would they gain by bringing the Heretics back into the fold? Especially considering the Nuevos probably won't willingly cast aside their technology gained through study. All it is is a recipe for a violent second civil war down the line.
    Maybe some idealistic members of the Viejo Borado priesthood have hopes that they will repent and return to the fold, but otherwise, no, that does seem implausible.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #243

PirateCaptain

Also Generalissimo Dorotea and Esteban Echevarria are great names.
    Dorotea was just Pancho Villa's first middle name, and I liked using it for a character he'd actually fight against. Echevarria is a Basque name seen a lot in Hispanic-influenced cultures due to the prevalence of Basque sailors in the Spanish Conquistador Armies. I know way too much obscure history .

Maybe some idealistic members of the Viejo Borado priesthood have hopes that they will repent and return to the fold, but otherwise, no, that does seem implausible.
    So then we got a situation a lot like in Star Trek with the Romulans and Vulcans (playing far too much Star Trek Online recently, please indulge). Essentially, there's too much bad blood to ever really reunify, but there are still a few idealists among each party who strive towards that goal even while being thwarted by the much larger anti-unification parties.

Cool. Glad we got that sorted. What else were we on about?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Ha-cha! Lots of activity while I was away!

Summary
    Borado:
    • Nuevo
      Pancho Villa Esteban Echevarria (The Blackfox?) and Santa Anna Generalissimo Doroteo: American History was never something I was interested in while I was in school, so I trust your judgement on this. If Nuevo Borado is going to be the analog that I picture, it needs something equivalent to a gold mine (Old Gods technology), officials that preach ideals and practice corruption (not all of them need to be this way), and a figure that opposes that mentality against all odds (Blackfox). Just to be clear on what you're saying:
      • Echevarria is secretly the Blackfox.
      • Doroteo is friends with Echevarria.
      • Doroteo doesn't know the true identity of the Blackfox.
      • The Blackfox is opposed to Doroteo.

Am I getting that right?
    • Viejo
      I like the idea of a priest caste, but not the idea of permanent settlements amongst these guys. Semipermanent is okay, and maybe they have one permanent city, but for the most part I want them to be nomads. That means Transmutation is going to have to be shifted, but other than that it's no biggie.

As far as inter-culture conflict is concerned, I think I'm okay with that. I'd rather the Viejo Boradoans be united at least publicly, however, because they're all equally terrified of devoted to their gods. Maybe there's some backstabbing going on behind the scenes, but for some reason that doesn't seem to fit with our image of them as noble wanderers.
    • Nuevo vs. Viejo
      I like the Romulans vs. Vulcans angle. Maybe there are individuals who are from either camp who believe in unification, but the voices of those people are drowned out by the masses (in Viejo they call for the death of Nuevo without actually attacking because they're too busy guarding their holy site, and in Nuevo they are too busy cracking the code of their own stuff to bother trying to get to the Viejo ruins) or something. I also picture small groups of people (maybe just individuals) defecting to and from the different cultures every now and then.

As far as what we've got and what we still have to do, I'd like to focus just a little bit more on these guys to make sure we have everything covered, then shift to define the Natives a little more clearly. After that, we might be ready to start putting all this stuff together in final draft format!

A long time ago in the OP, I had named the religious/scientific research faction amongst the Nuevo Boradoans as the "Temple of the Heavenly Host." I'm picturing something like the Covenant from Halo, copying and sanctifying the technology of a bygone civilization. I'll try to write something up about this today.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

5. - Top - End - #245

I also believe the Boradoans have a tenuous alliance against the Republicans, should their lands be encroached on. After all, that nation is mighty and has powerful technology. More of a truce to avoid weakening each other than a true alliance, but still. Plus, people with significant differences working together is a big archetype in American folk legends and modern fantasy.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

6. - Top - End - #246

PirateCaptain

• Echevarria is secretly the Blackfox.
    • Doroteo is friends with Echevarria.
    • Doroteo doesn't know the true identity of the Blackfox.
    • The Blackfox is opposed to Doroteo.

Am I getting that right?
    Technically I suggested a Zorro figure and a Poncho Villa figure, but if you would rather merge them into a super-zoro-villa character, I have no problem. I leave it up to you.

Viejo
    I like the idea of a priest caste, but not the idea of permanent settlements amongst these guys. Semipermanent is okay, and maybe they have one permanent city, but for the most part I want them to be nomads. That means Transmutation is going to have to be shifted, but other than that it's no biggie.

As far as inter-culture conflict is concerned, I think I'm okay with that. I'd rather the Viejo Boradoans be united at least publicly, however, because they're all equally terrified of devoted to their gods. Maybe there's some backstabbing going on behind the scenes, but for some reason that doesn't seem to fit with our image of them as noble wanderers.
    Considering that Mexico City is the largest Metropolitan Area in the Western Hemisphere, Viejo's capital needs to be something awe-inspiring. While it is very low-tech, Protectora is a vast city built as a gigantic “shield” around the Palace of the Old Gods. The rest of their settlements are a mix of tent cities and ancient cave cities that are uninhabited part of the time. Part of the conflict between Viejo and Nuevo is that Nuevo's capitol is a much smaller example of the Gods' sorcery-tech. It's basically jealousy. Think of what they could learn if only they had the resources of those Luddites in Protectora!

Now, just speaking from experience, a monolithic force like the Viejo Priestly Orders that's publicly united but privately suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder feels an awful lot like the RL Catholic Church, historically a major force in Mexican politics. Not going to bring this up more, and not trying to derail, but being a Catholic, I'm surprised when people think that the church is united on anything. Yeah, the guy in the nice hat says one thing, but beneath him are dozens of clerical Orders (read: Parties) that can and do believe in wildly different things. What I'm saying is that having the Viejo Priests act one way to save face, and then turn around and in-fight in secret is completely in character.

As far as what we've got and what we still have to do, I'd like to focus just a little bit more on these guys to make sure we have everything covered, then shift to define the Natives a little more clearly. After that, we might be ready to start putting all this stuff together in final draft format!
    Final draft of the whole setting? Oh wow. Are we that far along? I'm shocked, and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    I also believe the Boradoans have a tenuous alliance against the Republicans, should their lands be encroached on. After all, that nation is mighty and has powerful technology. More of a truce to avoid weakening each other than a true alliance, but still. Plus, people with significant differences working together is a big archetype in American folk legends and modern fantasy.
    Actually, depending on how closely we're mirroring history, a war between the Empire and the Boradoans has probably already happened. I say that because we're already in the post-Kinstrife era, and before the RL Civil War there was the Mexican-American War. I'll let Zap decide what's what on that.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    A truce is a good idea. I like "Republic/Republicans" even less that "Patria/Patricians" though, just because "Republicans" are already present in the States today, and I'd rather avoid using the names of any modern real-world groups.

Having had some time to think about it, I'd like to stick with "Empire." Not only is it what we're used to already, but we've also established a couple of imperial precedents. Chief among them is the use of "Norton" as the capital/first Emperor. That hat-tip only makes sense if the governing body is an empire.

Pancho Villa/Blackfox: I'm fine with keeping them separate, I just wasn't following exactly what you guys had hashed out. So if we keep them separate, then Echevarria and Doroteo become a corrupt bad guy-duo that the Blackfox is out to destroy? And (to help preserve the Zorro stuff), Blackfox is the secret identity of some other wealthy Boradoan noble? Because that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Protectora: After reading this, I'm MUCH more okay with a big city for Viejo Borado. I think the Palace of the Old Gods is going to have to be much smaller than I had at first thought (like, maybe the size of a football field instead of 5-6 football fields), but it's totally doable. I'm picturing the city as a ring, maybe with walls on both sides? One to keep out invaders, and one to create a buffer between the city and the Palace (for safety's sake). The only people that cross that second wall are the priests, and the victims they lead out to be sacrificed on some big fancy altar.

Viejo Borado priests as a fusion between Mesoamerican indigenous religion and Catholicism is something I could get on board with, so long as it's more clearly the former than the latter. Cool idea!

Final Draft: I know! It seems strange, but we've got enough information put together for people to make a few adventures in most of the regions, including various local figures (both mundane and mythic). We still need a few things (the Natives stuff I mentioned, and some more culture hero write ups [Baron Samedi!]), but we're close! Like I said, when I finish with the Blackwood I'll be able to devote a lot more effort to this.

Borado-Imperial War: I think it should have happened just before the Kinstrife, just like in real life. In fact, it might be cool to say that it was never officially ended; the Empire simply withdrew its forces into a defensive position so it could deal with the Kinstrife, and things have since cooled off to the point of a very tenuous ceasefire that may never reignite. Cold war between alien and steam technology, anyone?
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2012-03-19 at 04:26 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

8. - Top - End - #248

PirateCaptain

I hope you know that's going in my sig . If it's alright?

Protectora: After reading this, I'm MUCH more okay with a big city for Viejo Borado. I think the Palace of the Old Gods is going to have to be much smaller than I had at first thought (like, maybe the size of a football field instead of 5-6 football fields), but it's totally doable. I'm picturing the city as a ring, maybe with walls on both sides? One to keep out invaders, and one to create a buffer between the city and the Palace (for safety's sake). The only people that cross that second wall are the priests, and the victims they lead out to be sacrificed on some big fancy altar.

Viejo Borado priests as a fusion between Mesoamerican indigenous religion and Catholicism is something I could get on board with, so long as it's more clearly the former than the latter. Cool idea!
    Yeah, a second wall system sounds good. Should the Altar be built right up against the “Palace's” energy shield? It might be an interesting twist for PCs to watch a sacrifice walk into a shimmering veil and appear to vanish in a puff of dust.

Final Draft: I know! It seems strange, but we've got enough information put together for people to make a few adventures in most of the regions, including various local figures (both mundane and mythic). We still need a few things (the Natives stuff I mentioned, and some more culture hero write ups [Baron Samedi!]), but we're close! Like I said, when I finish with the Blackwood I'll be able to devote a lot more effort to this.
    I think we can keep on making figures until we use up all the possible ideas. I was thinking actually of writing up an NPC Adventuring team to compete with PC's or work as powerful allies. I see them a lot like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but couched in this world's lore.

Borado-Imperial War: I think it should have happened just before the Kinstrife, just like in real life. In fact, it might be cool to say that it was never officially ended; the Empire simply withdrew its forces into a defensive position so it could deal with the Kinstrife, and things have since cooled off to the point of a very tenuous ceasefire that may never reignite. Cold war between alien and steam technology, anyone?
    Oh yes. A thousand times yes. Zeppelins Versus Saucers! Place your bets!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, a second wall system sounds good. Should the Altar be built right up against the “Palace's” energy shield? It might be an interesting twist for PCs to watch a sacrifice walk into a shimmering veil and appear to vanish in a puff of dust.
    Ooh! Ooh! Have the altar be half-in, half-out of the shield, and then when a sacrifice is instructed to walk to the center of the altar, they are vaporized half-way there. Or it oscillates somehow between two different shapes or sizes, with the intent that sacrifices would be brought into the ship to be used, but with the alien gods not there to facilitate the process, the sacrifice just gets vaporized when the shield changes. Of course, the Priests never see this, as they think the assumption of the sacrifice by their god is too holy for mortal eyes or something.

I think we can keep on making figures until we use up all the possible ideas. I was thinking actually of writing up an NPC Adventuring team to compete with PC's or work as powerful allies. I see them a lot like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but couched in this world's lore.
    I personally would loooove to see this. Especially if, in a particular game, they get built up as a rogues gallery.

Oh yes. A thousand times yes. Zeppelins Versus Saucers! Place your bets!
    Personally, my bet's on the Saucers, as they will probably be quicker than the Zeppelins and maybe with better weapons as well. Regardless of design (which may negate any in-atmo speed or firepower advantage), they'll be made of metal, and Zeppelins... won't.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #250

PirateCaptain

I personally would loooove to see this. Especially if, in a particular game, they get built up as a rogues gallery.
    Wish granted.

The Gentlemen.

A team of operatives, each a legend in their filed, who have been brought together for a single purpose: Protect the world from the forces that would threaten it. They work in shadows, for The Light. Specifically, they are a single Cell in a secret branch of the Imperial government whose duties sometimes put them at odds with the official government. That is, they are tasked with maintaining the balance of power in the New World, even if that means slowing the Imperial advance. Their primary foes are Cthuloid Monstrosities, Vampires, various Monsters, and occasionally Anarchists of every stripe.

Membership
    Spoiler
    Show

Jameson
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Imperial
    Asset: Resources

Not technically a member, but he was the one who formed the Gentlemen, realizing Dr Tokarev's idea of such a team. Tokarev himself thought it would be a good idea for there to be a team of such vigilantes, but he ultimately decided such a thing would be unethical. Jameson, not so much. Jameson is a secret member of the Shadow Empire, the other secret society whose actions secretly run the whole Empire. Secretly. As such, he possesses the resources and contacts to make such a team of operatives feasible, if not desirable.

Harry Petaint, aka “Le Sorcellerie ”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Imperial Jamatu
    Asset: Clockwork/Steampunk Mastery

Mr Petaint was the youngest son in a family of wizards, and the only one not to inherent any magic powers of his own. Practically disowned by his family after age 15, Petaint dedicated his life to proving himself worthy, even without magic. He proved to be brilliant while attending school and quickly made a name for himself as a “Wizard of Clockwork”, such was his technical abilities. As time went on he created many devices that seemed to rival magic in their application. Dr Tokarev was impressed enough to keep a correspondence with Petaint for several days until he, naturally, lost interest.

Petaint's obsession with proving himself took a turn for the worst though, when he appeared to finally snap, killing a wizard who challenged him to a duel. Petaint accepted the challenge, and then shot the wizard in the back the instant he turned around. Petaint went underground, only to reappear amidst the “Cloak and Dagger War”, the intense Spy vs Spy vs Assassin battles waged in Coterois during the Kinstrife. Petaint made a name for himself among the Imperials as their top double agent. Of course, as was common in Coterois at that time, no one actually knew where Petaint's loyalties lay. His body count, though somewhat low contained primarily high level targets on both sides of the conflict, from Colonels to Generals, politicians and other spies. He was particularly infamous for his flawless disguises, created by some means of his own devising. He could appear as anyone, and often drove his targets mad with fear before striking.

He disappeared again after the war, only to re-appear in the West, now serving Jameson as the leader of the Gentlemen.

Legend Build
    Full-buy-in Multiclass Tactician/Tactical Insight/Prof Soldier/Demo-man/Mechanic Savant
    (Alternate - Full buy-in Multiclass Rogue/Esoterica/Demo-man/Prof Soldier/Mechanic Savant)

Concept
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, a dark-skinned man with a trimmed beard and a fine suit hiding all manner of tech (including hidden-holsters in the sleeves for his pistols). The Alan Quartermain / Sean Connery of the group, and the leader.

John 'Jack Knife' Sharpes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Imperial
    Asset: Mastery of knives

John Sharpes grew up on the meaner side of Firstport. There he was honed like one of his knives. Life was hard on the streets, but Sharpes was determined to survive. Indeed, he flourished making a name for himself as one of the meanest, orneriest, no-good sonovabitches who ever walked the streets. He worked mostly as a thief and a mugger, but in time he also took to settling assassin contracts once the local guild realized he was just using their men as practice (he had enemies). Sharpes worked part-time as a butcher, remarking that humans and pigs weren't so different once you got right down to it. It being the brutal vivisection of an unwilling subject. Oddly, despite his bloody habits, Sharpes was considered the most courteous man in Firstport, known for politeness to women in particular, and to any man who had earned respect. He could be easily spotted in a crowd because of his clothing, a slap-dash mix of pinstripes, floral designs, checkers and a stove-pipe hat.

The descendant of revolutionaries, Sharpes developed a particularly virulent hatred for anything he believed was Un-Imperial. This included vampires, magic, technology, Jamatu, Natives, Boradoans, other Imperials, Ironmen, even the Emperor Copperton (in fact, Sharpes practically ran Firstport politics during the Kinstrife and tried several times to find candidates to run against him). Oddly, those who claim to know Sharpes will all tell you that, though he holds to his ideals with all the conviction of a saint, he seems to genuinely understand that the modern world is no place for him. He seems at times to be just looking for a noble way to die.

After Copperton fell to an assassin's blade, Sharpes hastily faked his death and left Firstport. He knew that his virulent hatred for the Emperor was well-known, and he knew that his days were numbered by his association with anti-Coppertonians. He left for greener pastures out west, and found himself promptly employed by Jameson for the Gentlemen.

Legend build
    Multiclass Paladin/Judgment/Smiting/Swashbuckler (exchange Str for Dex with Multiclass Flex Feat)

Concept
    Spoiler
    Show

Iron Jacob
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Ironman
    Asset: Strength

Jacob was forged by the legendary Iron John himself, making Jacob technically the Martyr's Son. Only a few days old when John wore himself to death in his infamous competition, Jacob was one of the first to flee into the wilderness to enact a form of guerrilla warfare. For years they would sneak into major industrial centers, disguised as the other Ironmen. There, the resistance would sabotage equipment and steal supplies. Jacob felt this was not enough, but his people were too interwoven with the industrial complex. To harm the enemy, Jacob would have to kill his own. Rescuing them was difficult, if not impossible at times due to the countermeasures enacted against such a thing. Jacob rarely was even able to break even through escape attempts, often losing as many as he saved. He became discouraged, but when the Kinstrife began he saw an opportunity. Though the Emperor delayed in Emancipating the Ironmen due to political necessity, the Loyalist states were suddenly ordered not to arrest free Ironmen working for Jacob. Now working from a position of ample supplies and even allies, he could stage more and more daring raids against the Rebels.

As the war wore on, Jacob found his image being used for war propaganda. Signs bearing his name and likeness were issued across the Empire, calling for “All Ironmen to Rise with your Fellow! Liberation! Liberation is with Jacob!” Though newly emancipated Ironmen were indeed convinced to join the war effort, the propaganda just made Jacob's job harder. He found more and more gunmen going after his head. He apparently racked up the highest bounty ever offered by the Rebel States, even higher than Copperton's. Tales of his exploits are still passed around in the Imperial garrisons, most at least mentioning how he marched with General Mattimeo Sasquatcha Potter into the capitol of the Rebel states and left it in rubble.

When peace finally came, Jacob found he could not be happy. Though life was certainly better for his people, he could see the Empire backpedaling on certain promises made to them, leaving his people leaderless and directionless, lost in a world where they had yet to forge a path for themselves. It is unclear why exactly he left the movement to join the Gentlemen instead of leading his people, but according to classified records, there was a falling out among the Ironmen leadership. Jacob was betrayed by his own people, and left to the world.

Legend Build
    Multiclass Barbarian/Sentient Construct/Path of Rage/Discipline of the Serpent
    (Alternative: Utter Brute in place of Path of Rage)
    (Alternative 2: Paladin/Judgment/Sentient Construct/Discipline of the Serpent)

Concept
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Genius Bruiser, basically a metal Beast from Xmen. He's a beat-down machine, but one that is still recovering from some betrayal.

Rosa Maria Lorenzo Viradonde Vasquez
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Nuevo Boradoan
    Asset: The Raw, Untapped Power of the Gods

Born to a wealthy Colonel in Nuevo Borado, Rosa never wanted for anything. She could very well have lived a long, sumptuous lifestyle for the rest of her days without worry. But she was a curious one. At an exceedingly young age she was noted for her innate talent with the machines reverse-engineered from the God's old ruins. By age fourteen she had successfully surgery on herself to replace both her arms with powerful cybernetic prosthetics built from the Gods' technology. Further experimentation cemented her status as the Boradoan Tokarev. By 16, Rosa graduated from the Military College in the capitol (on scholarship). Within a year she had jumped Nuevo Boradoan technology an entire decade forward, bringing them back up to the same level as the Empire after decades of slumping discoveries. But then things went wrong.

Viejo Borado knew of Rosa, knew what she was and what she could do. It was in their best interests to kill her. When assassins began leaping out of the woodwork, Rosa was a little bothered as they tended to interrupt her experiments. Luckily they made excellent test subjects, dead or alive. But when Viejo realized she was untouchable, they went after her family and killed her beloved father. Finally snapped out of her usual stoic-super-science-mindset, Rosa unleashed her full fury upon those responsible. Waging a silent guerilla war of her own, aided by several of her father's old military buddies and even the Blackfox (who was morally outraged at her loss) Rosa eventually caught up with the High Priest Juliato, the man who ordered her father's death. Though her father's death was meant to draw her to Viejo for an ambush, Juliato misjudged her effectiveness, and found himself dead by her hand.

But Rosa was, and is to a degree, a gentle soul. Killing in self-defense was no problem. Even killing for SCIENCE was justified considering self-defense was involved there too. But this was straight, cold-blooded murder, and she couldn't remove it from her thoughts. A little more broken than before, Rosa quietly exiled herself to the Empire, and there was picked up by Jameson. She currently serves as the Gentlemen's tracker and battlefield control.

Legend Build
    Multiclass Full Buy-in Sage/Mechanic Savant/Force of Will/Bag-of-Tricks/Tactician Spell-Casting

Concept
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, this is basically a slightly different flavored Kimiko Ross with a touch of Salma Hayek from the Wild Wild West Movie.

Jackson Crowheart
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Native
    Asset: Magic

Jackson was born into the Laqonea tribe of Natives who hailed from the cold Northwest, just south of the Achalka border. Since time immemorial the Laqonea believed that one day a being of fire would appear to them, a Huren or “Firewalker”, and would begin an age of paradise among them, free from the bitter chill of winter. Well, by the time of Jackson's birth, the tribe was sick of waiting. The Shaman of the tribe bound a creature from beyond the Veil into the body of the Chief's youngest son. As the boy grew, he seemed to become a being of raw Earthpower, that is he appeared empowered by Nature itself. The tribe was all but sure of the coming paradise.

As it turns out however, Jackson didn't take well to “old fashioned nonsense”, and considered himself a modernist. He also didn't take the news well that his soul was technically part-Demon. Feeling that his people were too close-minded and beholden to the past, Jackson left to see the world and make a name for himself in the Empire. Turns out that, despite his modern clothes, his modern hairstyle, and his modern tastes, most Imperials see him as one of the Disgruntled Natives due to his tribes anti-imperial stance. As much as he tried to distance himself from this, he couldn't help being jumped by thugs with a grudge. While initially surprised, Jackson proved to be a powerful fighter due to his powers. This put him on the run from the law however as now the Imperials were looking for a rebel Native who set some “upstanding citizens” on fire. While doing so, he was picked up by Petaint and Sharpes for the Gentlemen.

Jackson is the newest member of the Gentlemen, though not the youngest (that being Rosa). This and his mixed reception into Imperial society has left him a bit aloof and disconnected. He's unsure of who he is yet, or where his place might be.

Legend Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full Buy-in Shaman/Demon/(Earth, Wind, or Water) Elemental/(Fire) Elementalist/ Shaman Spell-Casting

Concept
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something like the Avatar from the Last Airbender series, but also based on Jackson Two-Bears from Cat Ballou, an old Jane Fonda flick that featured an Indian named Jackson whose weariness at the idiocy around him was highly entertaining.

Inter-Party Interaction
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, to start off with, Petaint generally gets along with everyone. He considers Jacob his intellectual colleague, and is “sweet on” Rosa due to her own intelligence. He and Sharpes are diametrically opposed in most things, preferring stealth and subtlety over Sharpes usual hack-and-slash routine. He despises Jackson on the grounds that he's a magic user, but also because he sees the boy as a challenger for Rosa.

Sharpes hates Jacob (in his mind for causing the war). In contrast, he sees in Rosa the daughter he never had, and so despite her representing everything he isn't, Sharpes appears incredibly protective of her. For this reason, if nothing else, he apparently harbors nothing short of murderous fury towards Jackson. He not only speaks ill of him to the boy's face, but also puts him through his paces on almost a daily basis. Jacob has hypothesized its less that Sharpes hates Jackson, and more like he wants the boy to be properly prepared to care for Rosa when Sharpes has passed on. It's odd then that he doesn't dislike Petaint, but that might be because he doesn't think Rosa likes Petaint.

Rosa doesn't like Petaint probably due to his arrogance. “If you're going to do SCIENCE,” she says, “Then do SCIENCE, don't just talk about it!” She isn't sure where she stands with Sharpes, mostly due to his rampant racism and hatred of...well...everything, but noting that he doesn't act that way around her. Jacob is a curiosity, something to be taken apart and studied. She's not a bad person, she just forgets Jacob's one from time to time due to his obvious sophistication of construction. Jackson is her best friend at the moment, mostly due to their close ages.

Jackson feels the same about Rosa. He tends to dislike Sharpes intensely (for obvious reasons), but acknowledges his superior's skill and notes that they both prefer the direct approach to a situation. Of course when he pointed out all the similarities between them, Sharpes put him through a truly brutal regimen to “beat that notion,” out of Jackson. Jackson doesn't quite understand the looks he gets from Petaint, but tries to stay out of his way all the same. Petaint for Jackson represents the very society the rejected him, and so he acts coolly around his superior. He tends to look up to Jacob, admiring his strength of character as well as finding commonality in their both being outcasts.

Jacob dislikes Sharpes intensely, for obvious reasons. He also dislikes Rosa, though he tolerates her more as she is so young. He enjoys discussions with Petaint, especially over literature and philosophy. He also notes his similarities to Jackson, and so tutors the boy, as well as actively seeking his extrication from this lifestyle, prefering no one to have to follow the path Jacob has trekked. Having seen his own people fall apart after the Kinstrife, Jacob acts as a group mediator when he can, though not always to success.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it! I like it a whole lot!

...but I'm wondering about the effect its going to have on the setting. In my mind, the goal to "protect the world from the things that threaten it" is something the players should be able to do, and in my experience it's unwise to overshadow the PCs in any way. The world may be full of big, powerful people, but for whatever reason the players are the ones who get to be the heroes.

Maybe the big dudes are old, and no longer able to save the world. Maybe they don't care about the fate of the world, preferring instead to delve into their own mysteries and projects. Maybe they just can't come together on anything, and that's the only thing keeping them from doing real good in the world. No matter what, at the end of a campaign these huge, mythical figures need to be the ones patting the players on the back, not the other way around.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

12. - Top - End - #252

PirateCaptain

Maybe the big dudes are old, and no longer able to save the world. Maybe they don't care about the fate of the world, preferring instead to delve into their own mysteries and projects. Maybe they just can't come together on anything, and that's the only thing keeping them from doing real good in the world. No matter what, at the end of a campaign these huge, mythical figures need to be the ones patting the players on the back, not the other way around.
    I think the Gentlemen are more likely to work the street-level of otherworldly horrors. They're legendary, sure, relative to the common man. If the PC's are limited in level advancement (like an E6 campaign) then they might not appear at all. If the PC's are mid-level, the Gentlemen are either deadly rivals or spirited competition, opening up some interesting RP moments depending on the group of players. And if the PC's work hard and make it to the highest levels of power, then the Gentlemen serve more as old friends or contacts since they can't directly combat the party.

I think your idea of personal preference works. The Gentlemen are simply mid-level NPCs fighting the ground war in a cosmic conflict, whereas the PCs are potentially the Delta Team of the Mortal Plane, if they even partake in such adventures at all. Otherwise, if the PCs go for a different style of adventure (less Cthulu and more Wild West) the Gentlemen are nothing more than shadows.

EDIT: Oh! We could always use them as the Standard Adventuring Party, like how in the sourcebooks the examples are usually "Mialee does this" or "Tordek wants to buy that". Worse comes to worse, the Gentlemen can be corrupted by foul magicks and made to be the Big Bads of a campaign.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2012-03-22 at 03:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: Oh! We could always use them as the Standard Adventuring Party, like how in the sourcebooks the examples are usually "Mialee does this" or "Tordek wants to buy that". Worse comes to worse, the Gentlemen can be corrupted by foul magicks and made to be the Big Bads of a campaign.
    I. LOVE. this idea. It allows us to create "mundane" characters (as opposed to the mythic heroes), and it leaves a lot of room open for interpretation. As for myself, I've always looked at the iconics from the various settings as inspirations and suggestions more than characters that are actually present within the setting at all times, but it's certainly possible for them to "actually" exist.

Again, sorry for being a slacker in this thread. I'm still into the project (and we've come way too far to give up now), but I've got a lot on my hands. I'm going to devote a good amount of attention to this tomorrow during my lunch break (I would say "tonight," but I just got Skyrim and--let's face it--I've got priorities ) to get things organized and start churning out content again.

How are you guys feeling? Still interested? Cooling off?
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2012-03-28 at 04:06 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm just still glad this thing is still going, and the thread hasn't gone silent like my world. Speaking of which, I should really be making a bump post for that thread soon.

15. - Top - End - #255

I must say, what you have here is interesting. Very interesting indeed. However, I will say that one idea that may be worth adding is fleshing out the Rectorum more with some more modern conspiracy theories. I find that conspericy theories make very, very interesting "mythology" and one thing I think that would be neat would be borrowing from some RL conspiracy theories when fleshing out the Rectorum, mainly, David Icke and perhaps the Hollow Earthers...

What I see for them would be that, if they even exist at all, the Rectorum would be secretly controlled by shape-shifting "draconians" or lizard/dragon-people, much like David Icke's theories, minus the "from space" part. I would see them as some kind of ancient, old race connected to the royal lines of old from other nations that set up the Empire as a part of their plan for global domination and, ultimately, terraforming the surface of the planet via excessive pollution to be of a climate suitable to their reptilian biology. They would initally come from deep within the earth/hollow earth, from an ages old civilization which has expanded to the point of needing more "living space" and resources.

I can also see a radical religious sect, which believes that the church of light has decayed and turned too worldly that broke off from it and started their own underground radical religious movement which claims that said lizard-beings are servants of the "lucifer" figure of the faith and that they have taken control of and perverted or destroyed the morals of the empire via the Rectorum and it's rank and file members(political and business leaders, mostly) and seek to do the same to the entire planet. They could either be played as insane quacks that are enemies or as the guardians of hidden truths and the biggest thorn in the side of the rectorum. Not all of them need be super-religious, though, as I can see some mercenary types joining their ranks for the sake of seeing some action.

Just thought it would be kinda neat to toy with some conspiracy theories in this thing...

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm definitely a fan of that idea! I could see someone hearing "the truth" about the Old Gods of the Boradoans, getting really stoned, and thinking that the whole world was controlled by subterranean lizard monsters or something. Definitely good stuff.

While I'm thinking about it, what about changing "Empire" to "Dominion"? It moves away from the strange connotations with a nondemocratic political structure, while still being unfamiliar enough to suit my fancy. My only qualm is that the leader would then be something "Domino"...

Thoughts?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

17. - Top - End - #257

Dominion certainly works better then empire, considering it's a democracy. Also, I sadly do not know know enough about the legends system because if I did I'd probally stat up the "draconians" for you....Also...as far as the Rectorum is concerned, would it just be one society, or would it be more along the lines of the modern usage of "illuminati" which actually refers to a massive web of societies. Either works, honestly, and as for the Lizardmen/"draconians" they can be as real or fake as you want them to be, and I think it would be neat if you basicly gave GMs in this setting leeway with them...as in say "They may exsist or may not, but thats for you to decide in your campaign world.." and then provide some kind of stats for them if a DM chooses to make them canon in their games, but don't come out and say they are canon...make them kinda like a myth which could or could not be true, but, again, is mostly thought of as crackpot rubbish by most NPCs...

Also...they could be somehow mentioned in Boradoanian mythology as the "enemies" of the Old Gods. In fact, that would actually be a neat idea. The Bordonian Old Gods and the "Draconians" where both enemy species who long, long ago sent members of their species to earth. The Draconian intent would have been resource acquisition and terraforming of the planet, since their species would have been expansionist, imperialistic and greedy, and this lead them into conflict with the Old Gods and anybody else on the world at that time. The Old Gods defeated them in a war and thought them to be all dead but in reality they had just taken on new tactics and moved underground. They used their natural shape-shifting abilities to blend in with humans and, eventually, establish the Rectorum and slowly dominate much of the planet secretly, using businessmen and political and religious leaders as their pawns. Of course, Boradoania would still be an enemy, and the Empire-Bordoanian war could be rumored by some to have been a Draconian attempt to seize their ancient enemy's technology.

Anyway...seem like an interesting twist?
    Last edited by Giegue; 2012-03-28 at 05:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

PirateCaptain

How are you guys feeling? Still interested? Cooling off?
    I'm in. This is probably the longest thread I've been in (consistently) and I'm still excited. Though I did sweat a bit when I thought I had killed the thread.

I'm just still glad this thing is still going, and the thread hasn't gone silent like my world. Speaking of which, I should really be making a bump post for that thread soon.
    I'm still on for that too, but I've been planning to DM for friends soon and I haven't had much time.

While I'm thinking about it, what about changing "Empire" to "Dominion"? It moves away from the strange connotations with a nondemocratic political structure, while still being unfamiliar enough to suit my fancy. My only qualm is that the leader would then be something "Domino"...
    Or he could be called the Dominus. Or, failing that we could call him Princep, or “First Citizen”, Augustus Caesar's official title. So, is the Empire now the Dominion of the New World?

Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
    Also, I sadly do not know know enough about the legends system because if I did I'd probally stat up the "draconians" for you
    No need good sir! Legend uses “Tracks” to build character classes, and some of these include “Racial Classes” such as Demons, Dragons, and several varieties of Undead. Adding the Dragon Racial Track is like multiclassing at Level 1. Every few levels you gain a “Circle” or power from the Dragon Track, in addition to any other Tracks you have. The Dragons of Legend (not Legendary Dragons, just Dragons in the Game, Legend ) are basically bruisers and thugs with a touch of class. They have access to extra hitpoints, natural armor and weapons, wings, resistance to de-buffs, and as a capstone the ability to resurrect yourself by burying your heart in the ground (not sure, but it looks like you can do this and then go on adventuring without a heart. So long as the heart doesn't get dug up, you will always come back for the next [Quest]). Seriously, you'd be doing yourself a favor by trying it out.

....Also...as far as the Rectorum is concerned, would it just be one society, or would it be more along the lines of the modern usage of "illuminati" which actually refers to a massive web of societies. Either works, honestly, ...
    Just putting in my thoughts: I'm in favor of the Rectorum being a collection of similarly-minded though distinctly separate organizations. I think we should only put down a couple, just so DMs can add their own. I read a thread in another part of the forum where the OP was upset that Forgotten Realms (don't quote me) felt too “full-up” with NPCs and NPC organizations that were way too powerful or widespread for a PC to create his own niche. In my bit about the [shamelessbump] Genltemen [/shamelessbump] I wrote about the Shadow Empire, basically one branch of the Rectorum more “Official” that some of the others and headed up by a mind like Jameson, more akin to a particularly clandestine National Security group who mostly dealt with the more Eldritch-themed foes of the Empire, such as Vampires or Cthulu or Mad Wizards. Another bonus to having many organizations working under an umbrella term like The Rectorum is internal warfare. Members of several secret societies waging shadow wars against each other while having to deal with their own area of expertise.

Also...they could be somehow mentioned in Boradoanian mythology as the "enemies" of the Old Gods. In fact, that would actually be a neat idea. The Bordonian Old Gods and the "Draconians" where both enemy species who long, long ago sent members of their species to earth. The Draconian intent would have been resource acquisition and terraforming of the planet, since their species would have been expansionist, imperialistic and greedy, and this lead them into conflict with the Old Gods and anybody else on the world at that time. The Old Gods defeated them in a war and thought them to be all dead but in reality they had just taken on new tactics and moved underground. They used their natural shape-shifting abilities to blend in with humans and, eventually, establish the Rectorum and slowly dominate much of the planet secretly, using businessmen and political and religious leaders as their pawns. Of course, Boradoania would still be an enemy, and the Empire-Bordoanian war could be rumored by some to have been a Draconian attempt to seize their ancient enemy's technology.
    Hmmm. It seems like we've spent a long time building the Old Gods of Borado, to the point where I'm not sure this can easily be added. Would it be a better idea for the Dragons to have appeared in a sort of Roswell mystery? Maybe they are a race of aliens that crashed here independently recently, were picked up by a group of Rectorum who kept their eggs alive, and then the eggs hatched and possessed some low-level mind-control-powers, turning that Rectorum group rogue. While the Rectorum at large isn't necessarily aware, one of their branches has been corrupted and seeks to secretly install its sleeper agents in places of power throughout the Dominion.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Or he could be called the Dominus. Or, failing that we could call him Princep, or “First Citizen”, Augustus Caesar's official title. So, is the Empire now the Dominion of the New World?
    I think Dominion works just fine. I like "First Citizen" more than "Princep," and I like "Dominus" MUCH more than "Domino," but I'm not in love with any of them yet. I'll look over some stuff on my lunch break and see what I can come up with.

Just putting in my thoughts: I'm in favor of the Rectorum being a collection of similarly-minded though distinctly separate organizations. I think we should only put down a couple, just so DMs can add their own.
    First of all, we need to rename Rectorum before I damn near kill'um.

Second, I agree with you. Something I want to adopt in this setting (which I think worked very well in my Blackwood setting) is the idea of building solely with a mind for plot hooks and possibility. Instead of creating a bunch of stats for organizations, individuals, etc., I want to come up with a lot of juicy rumors, and just a few actual stats.

Example: "The Brotherhood of Mind is a fraternal order whose stated goal is the education of all of the Dominion's citizens. [stats would go here] However, there are people who whisper that the Brothers want to enslave the minds of all living things, and that they have significant ties to the Excelsii, a worldwide, sinister group made up of the power-hungry elite."

This tells us a few things:
    • Fraternal orders exist in this setting.
    • There is an example of what one of these orders looks like in terms of mechanics.
    • Some people think that these orders have ulterior motives.
    • There is a widespread conspiracy theory about the "Excelsii," which may or may not exist.

With a design philosophy like this, we gives readers a taste of the world, we give them tools to expand on it for themselves, and we set up a fork in the GM's road: are the conspiracy theorists onto something? Or is it just a bunch of hot air? Either way, you could spend a fair amount of time getting to the bottom of it. Lots of story potential compared to "here are all the organizations in the world, as well as a list of all of the conspiracy groups. This is the Word, and the Word is Law." Your ideas in the rest of that comment basically enforce this idea.

Also: thoughts about "Excelsii" as a new name for the Rectorum?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooo. So I re-read a lot of the stuff that's been written in the past two pages, and I can't seem to focus on it like I need to. I need to sit down with a big piece of paper and just sketch everything out for myself. I'll definitely have to do this when I don't have so much office stuff competing for my attention, which likely means this weekend. If I don't spend literally every minute playing Skyrim.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

21. - Top - End - #261

PirateCaptain

I'll definitely have to do this when I don't have so much office stuff competing for my attention, which likely means this weekend. If I don't spend literally every minute playing Skyrim.
    You fool! That game eats lives and drinks hope! Believe me, that way lies Madness!

On another note: I like the name Excelsii. I keep thinking it's all secretly led by some sort of mustachioed super-villain. Pictured here:
    Spoiler
    Show

Although since Excelsior means "Ever Upward" in Latin, we could use the alternate Semper Sursum. Or, since "Upward" comes out as "Sublime" in Google Translate, we could also call it the Sublime Concordat, whichever (or none) strikes your fancy.

22. - Top - End - #262

Semper Sursum sounds better then Excelsii to me, though I have no idea why. Both work, however. Also, I like the Reptilian Roswell thing, except I'd probably have it have happened sometime in the distant past. Not ancient, but pre-Dominion/Empire. I can see them taking control of a medieval/Renascence fraternal order and eventually transforming it into a Semper Sursum/Excelsii/Rectorum faction that they used to, eventually, help grow/expand capitalism, and eventually form the Dominion/Empire...In fact, if we used this idea we could even have a "split" in the Semper Sursum/Excelsii/Rectorum between the reptilian side and another side that broke off once the reptile side shifted the group's goals away from what it was meant for(enlightenment, an end to monarchy, whatever....you can decide this.). I can see them being equally shadowy and willing to do "evil" things as the reptile side, but with much more benevolent goals.....they'd be more "anti-hero" while the reptile side would be more "villain" if you get what I mean.

23. - Top - End - #263

PirateCaptain

Semper Sursum sounds better then Excelsii to me, though I have no idea why. Both work, however. Also, I like the Reptilian Roswell thing, except I'd probably have it have happened sometime in the distant past. Not ancient, but pre-Dominion/Empire. I can see them taking control of a medieval/Renascence fraternal order and eventually transforming it into a Semper Sursum/Excelsii/Rectorum faction that they used to, eventually, help grow/expand capitalism, and eventually form the Dominion/Empire...In fact, if we used this idea we could even have a "split" in the Semper Sursum/Excelsii/Rectorum between the reptilian side and another side that broke off once the reptile side shifted the group's goals away from what it was meant for(enlightenment, an end to monarchy, whatever....you can decide this.). I can see them being equally shadowy and willing to do "evil" things as the reptile side, but with much more benevolent goals.....they'd be more "anti-hero" while the reptile side would be more "villain" if you get what I mean.
    How Dragon do the Reptiles look? Are they the Snake-like Dragons of Eastern Lore, or more thuggish beasts? Could they pass for human? If so, is it only natural that they can retract their reptilian appearance, or do they employ a magical Glamor effect? In fact, after a few centuries, what's to say they didn't use their power to become more human? Some of the conspiracy theories could be based on the fear that something is replacing people with humans who are only outwardly so while possessed of truly alien biology. I like this variant myself. Adds to the cloak-and-dagger/alien conspiracy/invasion of the body snatchers vibe.

Secondly, just so I'm clear on this, allow me to summarize, with embellishments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Dragons were traveling through space for some reason, colonizing efforts, I assume, since they need to breed (unless becoming more human was their answer to this problem), when their navigation sensors were thrown off by the emanations given off by the Old God's technology and unusually high background magic on this world. They crashed and were forced to seek out the native lifeforms to survive.

Finding the locals to harbor a rather disturbingly violent hatred towards non-humans (Vampires and the like), the Dragons were forced to survive on the fringes of civilization, where they used their power to blend in with society (the damage from a glamor failure would be far worse in the middle of a crowded metropolis). In time they mastered the art of hiding in plain sight, and quietly added to the sum of human knowledge in their own ways, usually by helping certain skilled or crafty individuals make world-changing discoveries. While not present at every major historical event (and absent at quite a few notable ones), the Dragons moved in relative secret, trusting only a few with knowledge of their existence.

By this point, two things occurred: First, by this point the Dragons themselves had forgotten their own secret history, and none knew they were from the stars. Second, the Illumination began. Taking advantage of the human's Illuminated Revolution, the Dragons aided in the war against the Vampire Overlords, albeit in their typical secret. Though the Empire and the Semper Sursum weren't, strictly speaking, found by Dragons, key members of the Revolution at least knew of them or worked with them. The Dragons have since kept to the shadows, their traditions of secrecy and stealth having become too ingrained.

At the “Modern Day” period of time, there has been some murmuring of discontent within the Dragon circles. While most traditionalists wish to continue serving the Empire in secret until the day comes when they can be accepted by the human populace, there was prior to the Kinstrife a Modernist/Radical movement, mostly among the younger generation, who felt that time had come. Moreover, they felt that Dragons were innately superior, judging by their strength, speed, intelligence and their network of Dragons spread throughout the Empire. The Radicals wanted to rule the apes as the Vampires once did. While the Kinstrife waged a bloody and overt slaughter on the field, Sempur Sursum was split by a violent civil war. Traditionalists would attempt to aid the peace process using their contacts in both Dominion and Rebel governments, the Radicals would murder the ambassadors, or use their own contacts to do so.

The Traditionalists 'won', as much as that term means anything. The Radicals simply vanished, their parting blow perhaps being the attempted assassination and crippling of First Citizen Copperton. In the wake of the war, Sempur Sursum is weakened and disorganized. They are threatened every day by the swift advance of Progress, which may lead one day to their discovery, and by the unknown machinations of their lost allies among the Radicals, and even enemies among Sempur Sursum itself, members of the non-draconic cells that could move against them if it appears that the Dragons are following the Radicals' ideals and seeking dominion over man.

And how easy it would be for them to mistake a Radical from a Traditionalist when they're both Dragons?

I hope that sounds good. I left in a lot of leeway (I hope) in terms of where PCs can take the plot should their game involve these guys.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool stuff! When we include it in the final draft, we should say something in the beginning to clue people in that there are many different theories about this, and a ton of people either haven't heard of it or they think it's madness.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Deep South settings?
    Like fried chickens, iced tea and cottons.
    Or Louisiana?
    - Cajun esque races, Swamps, voodoos and witch doctors.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Or Louisiana?
    We have a Louisiana already - developed it quite a bit, in fact. It's called Coterois, and you can find out more about it on the OP. I don't think a Deep South was ever really developed, but I'm sure Zap would be willing for you to take center stage on that. Ask him if you can first though, and where it would fit.

27. - Top - End - #267

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Or Louisiana?
    Well, if you check the OP, you'll find we've already worked a bit on the Jamatu, a Louisiana Bayou style race who reside near and around the city of Coterois. Cajun specifically, perhaps not. I suppose some sort of swamp-dwelling people descended from the original non-Dominion settlers to mingle into the area.

I think we were going to do something with the Gullah people (did I spell it right?) of N Carolina, and several aspects of the Deep South were more or less absorbed into the Dominion's Capitol at Norton. We still need a name for the Jamatu people's native magic since we can't very well call it voodoo. Have any ideas there? Currently I'm working with Don Je'cree, or "Thus I create" in French. Fitting for Magic with lots of Zombie and undead connotations.

Edit: Landis! You... you Ninja'd me. The circle is now complete.
    Last edited by Ninjadeadbeard; 2012-04-01 at 10:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is still going, right? Or am I just necroing the thread for no good reason?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

This is still going, right? Or am I just necroing the thread for no good reason?
    I haven't been able to put anything together in awhile. I plan on working on this again, but I'm not sure when it will be. If worst comes to worst I'll shelve it for awhile, but one way or another I plan on finishing this thing.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

30. - Top - End - #270

PirateCaptain

I haven't been able to put anything together in awhile. I plan on working on this again, but I'm not sure when it will be. If worst comes to worst I'll shelve it for awhile, but one way or another I plan on finishing this thing.
    That's good. This is a really good setting, and I'd hate to see it go.

As someone once said, If you need me, call me, No matter where you are, No matter how far