New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Collaborative World Building Software

I'm getting started on a setting for a future campaign, and finding myself in a little over my head (at least in the timeframe I imagined), decided to recruit some friends for coming up with things like organizations, NPCs, interesting locations, and the like.

What I am looking for is some method of aggregating this information in an easily searchable/interlinked database. Masterplan's encyclopedia function works wonders for this, but I envision some difficulty with sharing the file and allowing others to contribute (or if there is revision software that would even work with the file). Google docs doesn't have the right capabilities, and making a wiki seems like too much work, so I'm a bit at a loss.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that might work? Right now I am just envisioning having them send me whatever contributions, and me keeping it all locally, which means that I'll have to come up with all the coherence to link disparate ideas.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Collaborative World Building Software

Well, there's always Obsidian Portal. When you set up a campaign there, you get a little site with space for adventure logs, a wiki, characters, items, maps, etc. Anyone who's part of the campaign can edit. It can be really simple and easy to set up, or you can make it all fancy if you want to put in the work.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Collaborative World Building Software

Hmm... I'll take a look at that. Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-05-21 at 11:39 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.