New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: American Mythology Setting (Help is welcome!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I haven't been able to put anything together in awhile. I plan on working on this again, but I'm not sure when it will be. If worst comes to worst I'll shelve it for awhile, but one way or another I plan on finishing this thing.
    Oh good. Just be sure to tell us when/if you need a hiatus.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about the shattered "Eastern Indians" are elves? Or an analog? They both use bows and inhabit the woods, know all about them. Some names: the Montem, for the great western mounts that oppose the great Ocean God, who tries to swallow the earth in his drowning waters in their mythology. The Sylvis, or wood people, or just Ihmiset, for the people.
    Characters in Lords of Creation games:
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Xacha, the Metal Serpent.
    Viltasa, the Evening Star.
    Yash-Ko, the Flame of the Void.
    Argul Lugra, Lord of the Eyes.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.
    Valendron, Ascending Wind.

Drow Lord avatar by Dread Angel.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drowlord View Post
    How about the shattered "Eastern Indians" are elves? Or an analog? They both use bows and inhabit the woods, know all about them. Some names: the Montem, for the great western mounts that oppose the great Ocean God, who tries to swallow the earth in his drowning waters in their mythology. The Sylvis, or wood people, or just Ihmiset, for the people.
    First off, thank you for necroing the thread . Second off, "Montem" would be my choice for them, with "Ihmiset" a close second. But I'll defer to Zap on this, and hopefully he responds.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the input! As Landis alluded, this thread hasn't been updated in awhile, and the project is officially on hold. That said, I've got all the information saved in a google doc, and I fully intend on getting back on board with the project when I have more time.

To respond to your input, I have mixed feelings. First and foremost, I like the idea that the eastern natives have become something like Tolkien's elves circa The Hobbit: a small population of woodfolk that spurn civilization and know the ins and outs of the forest. However, I think it's impossible for them to be elves in truth, simply because elves are a definitively European construction, and I'd like to stick to American stuff for this setting. I'll be sure to add that to the google doc.

...and just so no one is waiting with bated breath, I don't anticipate starting this project again until July at the earliest. When I do, I'll start a new thread, but I'll be sure to link to this one!

P!S!
    I was curious, so I took a look at the stats of the google doc that has all of this stuff. 24 Pages. 12921 words! We will come back to this; we've put in too much effort to call it quits!
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2012-05-17 at 06:32 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...and just so no one is waiting with bated breath, I don't anticipate starting this project again until July at the earliest. When I do, I'll start a new thread, but I'll be sure to link to this one!
    Thank you for the timeframe update. Just be sure to put the new post in a new reply, just so it gets bumped and those of us subscribed to it know to unsub.

P!S!
    I was curious, so I took a look at the stats of the google doc that has all of this stuff. 24 Pages. 12921 words! We will come back to this; we've put in too much effort to call it quits!
    Oh my.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-06-16 at 09:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

P!S!
    We sure are verbose S. O. B.'s, ain't we? I'll see you gentlemen roundabouts July then.
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Love this! What about the Mothman? An eldritch abomination that flies, messes with your head (take a will save), and keeps advanced tech from working.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thewillofbob View Post
    Love this! What about the Mothman? An eldritch abomination that flies, messes with your head (take a will save), and keeps advanced tech from working.
    I realize it's a lot, but please read the thread before you quick-reply. If you had, you would realize that this project is on hiatus, and the Original poster won't return to it until July (what's more, he'll make a new thread for the purpose). As for your idea, I'm sure we can work it in somehow. Not sure what constitutes "advanced tech", though, as 1) it's a steampunk setting, and 2) we have an entire race (the warforged) that could technically be covered by that.