New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Gold into XP?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Gold into XP?

I need someplayground opinions on this. Would substituting 4 times a familiar's cost to revive in XP in GP be excessively overpowered/underpowered?

Im looking to have a familiar in my next campaign (as a sorcerer) and was planning on having it sort of "hang out" (it probably wouldnt be buffed via share spells and sent into combat). However, I don't want to risk having it be targeted and risk losing large amounts of XP.

Any thoughts?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gold into XP?

I think this would be a better question for the particular GM you're playing with. In my experience, familiars are pretty easy to keep alive if you keep them out of combat, but I've played with pretty benevolent GMs.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Gold into XP?

Standard is 5 GP for 1 XP. At least, that's what it is for magic items and that's the rate Pathfinder used to convert XP components into M components.

So yeah, I'd allow you to use expensive material components to replace the XP components in any of your spells. Hell, I'd even allow you to "buy" XP at 5 GP per 1 XP by doing something expensive and extravagant appropriate to your character.