New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racial Requests

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Racial Requests

I have recently decided i will start taking requests for races from my fellow playgrounders. Now, i do have some basic rules; I will make mechanics only, the fluff will be entirely your own. I will go up to a maximum of ECL 5, anything above that is going into monster territory. If you have any abilities you want included (fully formed or only a basic idea) tell me ahead of time so i may incorporate it. I will make racial feats for any race if asked, but i will need the fluff for it ahead of time to actually make something that fits. If you change your mind on an idea, send me a PM, do not put it on this thread. And lastly, I only make races for 3.5 and Pathfinder, NO 4e races.

I am using a basic guideline i adapted from a 3rd party source which uses a point system, basic number for LA 0 races is 9 to 11 with 10 being the norm just for a basic overview of what kind of power each LA will give. Additionally, Racial HD are worth less than LA because of them giving HP, BAB, Saves, and Skill Points so think carefully if you want a race with RHD.

So, any takers?

EDIT: Please list a prefered LA and/or RHD you'd like me to use and i'll try to work within that area, otherwise I'll base it at LA 0
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2011-12-18 at 11:55 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Racial Requests

Ooh! Ooh! I would like some kind of sentient slime-person. Like a water elemental, but stickier. Probably have bonuses to con and dex.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

one up the thri-keen. octopus folk, with heavy penalties and a swim speed.
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    Ooh! Ooh! I would like some kind of sentient slime-person. Like a water elemental, but stickier. Probably have bonuses to con and dex.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    one up the thri-keen. octopus folk, with heavy penalties and a swim speed.
    Hm, i can work with these, anything you'd like me to avoid?

Also, would you like me to PM you the results first then post them here or just post them here?
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2011-12-18 at 11:49 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm not sure how I feel about an acid touch, as it would make tool-use quite difficult.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Make a d12 as a playable race. Give it racaial hatred for every other dX type.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    Make a d12 as a playable race. Give it racaial hatred for every other dX type.
    Seems more like a monster idea but i'll see what i can do.

@Everyone: Please list a prefered LA and/or RHD you'd like me to use and i'll try to work within that area.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

No more than LA +1, please.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

really six hands and a pair of feet are my idea. avoid making them really just good for mass precision attacks.

hmm... about your max I'd say. really, 6 arms is a big boon...

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    really six hands and a pair of feet are my idea. avoid making them really just good for mass precision attacks.

hmm... about your max I'd say. really, 6 arms is a big boon...
    How about making them craftsmen?

Also, amphibious or completely aquatic?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

amphibious, but with a water dependency. (like, a galon of water per hour out of water or nonleathal damage.)

craftsman could be fun.

Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd like to request a living construct race that is made from stitched together preserved dinosaur parts.

0 LA, preferably.
    Last edited by Acidic_Cakes; 2011-12-19 at 03:37 AM.
    Calumon Avatar courtesy of Akrim.elf

Pathfinder Legend of Zelda Races

13. - Top - End - #13

A couple requests:

1) A spider-like arachnid race. LA 0-4. Preferred abilities are a boost to Dex and a mental stat, some good SLAs (Fabricate X/day based on HD for the artificer route), and options for Artificers (I like the idea of an 8-armed crafter, with each hand/claw/etc. holding a different tool) or a martial class (probably multi-weapon fighting benefits). Perhaps make a couple castes with different SLAs and traits? Immunity to poison would also be fitting.

2) A race that exists simultaneously between two or more planes. I honestly have no idea about this one, so go nuts.

Racial feats and/or substitution levels would be wonderful (like reducing craft time, etc.)

In terms of fluff, the first race would either be the result of Netherese experimentation (if in FR) or the result of residual magic upswellings causing the evolution of a species of arachnid. The race would be highly focused, relatively unemotional and dedicated to both military and intellectual prowess.

I don't know about the second race yet.
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-12-19 at 03:43 AM.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to request two races for Pathfinder please:

1. I'd like to request a race of elf-like humanoids, matriarchal in nature with a biological propensity towards witchcraft. Extremely long-lived, pregnancy is a rare and lengthy process that does not incapacitate them; the women often fight and adventure while pregnant and in fact, are more powerful casters when pregnant as they can draw on the child's soul as well as their own. LA +0 preferred if at all possible.

2. A race of stone-carved living construct humanoids with Powerful Build. Designed as warriors and workers they have two modes of operation, a slow-moving, basic "beetle-like" humanoid mode and a second mode whereby they tuck in the arms and legs and roll around as a ball for greater speed and/or to smash into things. They aren't too bright and tend to lack ego but can be surprisingly wise. They are incapable of arcane magic. Again, LA +0 if you can manage it. Thanks!
    Last edited by The Witch-King; 2011-12-19 at 03:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic_Cakes View Post
    I'd like to request a living construct race that is made from stitched together preserved dinosaur parts.

0 LA, preferably.
    This... will be interesting to say the least, this will definitely need some racial feats for different "models" of dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    A couple requests:

1) A spider-like arachnid race. LA 0-4. Preferred abilities are a boost to Dex and a mental stat, some good SLAs (Fabricate X/day based on HD for the artificer route), and options for Artificers (I like the idea of an 8-armed crafter, with each hand/claw/etc. holding a different tool) or a martial class (probably multi-weapon fighting benefits). Perhaps make a couple castes with different SLAs and traits? Immunity to poison would also be fitting.

2) A race that exists simultaneously between two or more planes. I honestly have no idea about this one, so go nuts.

Racial feats and/or substitution levels would be wonderful (like reducing craft time, etc.)

In terms of fluff, the first race would either be the result of Netherese experimentation (if in FR) or the result of residual magic upswellings causing the evolution of a species of arachnid. The race would be highly focused, relatively unemotional and dedicated to both military and intellectual prowess.

I don't know about the second race yet.
    Okay the first one is very interesting, sorta like the arachnid race in the Forgotten Realms Underdark book only more crafter oriented. I think making them decent spellcasters may be a good idea as well so i'll try to work that angle either in racial features, a paragon class, or racial feats.

The second... I think the closest thing I can use as a base is the Dvati, but that's LA +1 and they SUCK. I'll see what i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    I'd like to request two races for Pathfinder please:

1. I'd like to request a race of elf-like humanoids, matriarchal in nature with a biological propensity towards witchcraft. Extremely long-lived, pregnancy is a rare and lengthy process that does not incapacitate them; the women often fight and adventure while pregnant and in fact, are more powerful casters when pregnant as they can draw on the child's soul as well as their own. LA +0 preferred if at all possible.

2. A race of stone-carved living construct humanoids with Powerful Build. Designed as warriors and workers they have two modes of operation, a slow-moving, basic "beetle-like" humanoid mode and a second mode whereby they tuck in the arms and legs and roll around as a ball for greater speed and/or to smash into things. They aren't too bright and tend to lack ego but can be surprisingly wise. They are incapable of arcane magic. Again, LA +0 if you can manage it. Thanks!
    Are these based on the Zelda series? 'Cause the first sounds like the Hylians and the second sounds like the Gorons. These will likely be relatively easy for me to work with, the way you describe them I'm pretty sure i can work something out. LA 0 may be a stretch but i can work with it for the first one at least, second may be a bit harder but i'll try to keep it in the right power range, the "no magic" part is a great balance point.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, any takers?

EDIT: Please list a prefered LA and/or RHD you'd like me to use and i'll try to work within that area, otherwise I'll base it at LA 0
    I've always wanted to see a spider or scorpion based version of the Yuan-ti, but have never been able to make it really workable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm looking for, basically, Moosefolk. LA and RHD expected. Resistance to cold, bonuses to charging or a gore, strong druidic attachments. If we could avoid a Charisma penalty if at all possible, that would be best, too many of those 'for balance' around. I'd probably favor Str, Con and Wis, disfavor Dex and Int. Large size or Powerful Build a must. 3.5.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Are these based on the Zelda series? 'Cause the first sounds like the Hylians and the second sounds like the Gorons. These will likely be relatively easy for me to work with, the way you describe them I'm pretty sure i can work something out. LA 0 may be a stretch but i can work with it for the first one at least, second may be a bit harder but i'll try to keep it in the right power range, the "no magic" part is a great balance point.
    No--I know of the Zelda series but I've never played any of them.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    No--I know of the Zelda series but I've never played any of them.
    Then it's a very big coincidence. But it does give me a general base i can use and modify as needed.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Please avoid being like the Dvati if at all possible. It's more like a single being that exists between planes than two beings. Do whatever is you feel necessary to differentiate from the Dvati, who I hate like you do.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I get a playable race of the Fey creature type? By playable, I mean LA +0 if possible, but no more than +1. I'd also want a half-breed between it and Human.

Spoiler
    Show
    In my campaign world, I have an empire that one split into four. One part joined with a Fey country and became democratic. The catch is, I don't have a good Fey race for PCs
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elimu Marimech View Post
    Can I get a playable race of the Fey creature type? By playable, I mean LA +0 if possible, but no more than +1. I'd also want a half-breed between it and Human.

Spoiler
    Show
    In my campaign world, I have an empire that one split into four. One part joined with a Fey country and became democratic. The catch is, I don't have a good Fey race for PCs
    Killoren are LA +0 Fey from Races of the Wild that actually are quite nice for fitting that role, plus they're somewhat customizable. Definitely something to look into in the meantime.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Killoren are LA +0 Fey from Races of the Wild that actually are quite nice for fitting that role, plus they're somewhat customizable. Definitely something to look into in the meantime.
    Ah yes, i had forgotten about them, there's also the Duskling from Magic of Incarnum, however, i will still make a unique race here, but those two do deserve mention.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

I decided to go in the order of request, not by what's easier, so it may take some time to get to everyone, but here's the first in the racial requests. As i said in the OP, fluff is up to you and i will expand on it according to any fluff you may like to give. As i only had the basics, i went a slightly more generic route but i do hope you like it.

*Medium
    *+2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha
    *Ooze (Evolved): _____s are oozes with the evolved subtype. The evolved subtype removes the Mindless and Blind aspects of the ooze as basic nervous and sensory systems are present within the ooze.
    *Base Land Speed 20ft, Swim Speed 40ft. +8 Racial Bonus on Swim checks and can take 10 on swim checks even if distracted or threatened.
    *Amphibious: Can breathe water and air equally well.
    *Colorblind: A _____ cannot see color. This makes him immune to color spray and similar effects
    *Darkvision 60ft
    *Stability: As the dwarf feature
    *Slight Build
    *Acid Spit: Once every 5 rounds, a ____ may spit a glob of acidic slime that deals 1d6 points of acid damage to a single target on a successful ranged touch attack. This damage increases to 2d6 at 5th level, 3d6 at 9th level, 4d6 at 13th level, and 5d6 at 17th level. This acid can be stored like a flask of acid but becomes inert after one hour.
    *Languages: Common, Aquan. Bonus: ???
    *Favored Class: Rogue

The ones with "???" are fluff aspects and thus up to you, also, this thing could easily have a LOT of racial feats depending on the fluff. Let me know what you think and i'll see what i can do to make it better.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2011-12-20 at 03:18 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

RedWizardGuy

Interesting. Races I'd like to see:

-Sort of a low-powered Nazgul from LOTR(Examples are the witch-king and the like)
    -A creature that is purely a mental presence, and adventures by taking over people's/creature's bodies. Good optional things that can either be included or done as racial feats are the ability to possess dead bodies and the ability to transform bodies possessed, so that they can have a sort of natural form that stays constant amongst many bodies.
    -A race with limited innate spellshaping
    -A race with limited innate spellcasting
    -Innately Necromantic Race suited for classes like my Death Knight

All LA+0, or +1 if really need be.

Thanks in advance.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

26. - Top - End - #26

This is really nicely well done. Fits the fluff without being over-the-top. Slight build especially fits the goo-ish theme. I'm not sure for favored class, but I'll put some thought into it.

<edit> I'm thinking rogue.
    Last edited by radmelon; 2011-12-20 at 02:01 PM.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

This is really nicely well done. Fits the fluff without being over-the-top. Slight build especially fits the goo-ish theme. I'm not sure for favored class, but I'll put some thought into it.

<edit> I'm thinking rogue.
    Glad to hear it, and added Rogue to favored class
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Sorry. Only have core, CA (that's Adventurer, right?) and Savage Species
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question: Is this thread only for 3.5 races and stuff, or are ou making 4th edition races too(4th, not essentials)?

If so, i'm running a homebrew campaign where trolls aren't crazed monsters, but misterious and wise smiths who make powerful magic items in twisting crystal halls, and one of my players wants to play one. I've agreed to let him play a half-troll because i wanted him balanced without weird adjustments.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I have recently decided i will start taking requests for races from my fellow playgrounders. Now, i do have some basic rules; I will make mechanics only, the fluff will be entirely your own. I will go up to a maximum of ECL 5, anything above that is going into monster territory. If you have any abilities you want included (fully formed or only a basic idea) tell me ahead of time so i may incorporate it. I will make racial feats for any race if asked, but i will need the fluff for it ahead of time to actually make something that fits. If you change your mind on an idea, send me a PM, do not put it on this thread. And lastly, I only make races for 3.5 and Pathfinder, NO 4e races.

I am using a basic guideline i adapted from a 3rd party source which uses a point system, basic number for LA 0 races is 9 to 11 with 10 being the norm just for a basic overview of what kind of power each LA will give. Additionally, Racial HD are worth less than LA because of them giving HP, BAB, Saves, and Skill Points so think carefully if you want a race with RHD.

So, any takers?

Emphasis mine... sorry
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show