New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 94 of 136 FirstFirst ... 446984858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104119 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #2791
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    What is the top funding for a project? Aside from Double Fine, I mean.
    Double Fine's project is just shy of $2,000,000.

EDIT: Whoops. I think the (soon to be) Number 2 is at like $1.3 million or so. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we're not overtaking them.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2012-02-18 at 06:48 PM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

2. - Top - End - #2792
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldagriff View Post
    I participated ^^
    A lot of people did. Some people spent more money than you did. But not very many had to spend that much effort. Congratulations. Welcome to the club, which ought to present you with a badge of honor !

3. - Top - End - #2793
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If all sense and reason is abandoned and we somehow raise the I-don't-know-like-$200,000 to reprint even that book
    This quote just keeps making me laugh in hindsight.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #2794
    Ogre in the Playground

It's an iPhone dock which brought in $1,464,706.

Yeah, we're not topping that.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-02-18 at 06:48 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

5. - Top - End - #2795
    Barbarian in the Playground

The most funded for each category of project are listed here. The one that raised the most money of all appears to be this one.

EDIT: Whoops, seriously ninja'd.
    Last edited by Timeless Error; 2012-02-18 at 06:48 PM.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

6. - Top - End - #2796

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Man, the one thing holding me back from pledging more was that Rich said he wasn't going to use the funds for himself. Now that that's off the table, I doubled it. Why didn't he do that sooner?
    He's not really using the funds for himself - he's creating a general fund for his business. Which will result in him having less out of pocket expenses (and therefore more money to spend on personal stuff) in the future, but so is us paying for print runs which will leave him with excess stock of his products, even if we get a book out of the deal.

A lot of the preexisting prize's values were a result of forced scarcity / donor charity - I doubt the crayon drawings will require anywhere near $250 in materials, labor, and shipping. People were willing to pay that much because 1. They wanted the books reprinted 2. There was a limited supply and 3. Rich has put nearly a decade into the free product of the webcomic. One could argue that there is a limited supply of Rich's labor available for projects like this because people's future willingness to pay for stuff like this is dependent on an at least semi-active web comic, but the exclusivity also plays a role, particularly for the cameo.

What is true is that Rich will probably see more profit on the money after 850K mark. While some of the money sounds like it will go towards tech upgrades for Rich, which don't necessarily yield a lot of immediate profit, if he uses some of it to print book 5, for example, the yield on that will be huge. I'm not sure of the exact numbers involved, but I'm pretty sure the printing costs have in the past been well over half the price of the book, so if Rich gets free printing on book 5 out of this, the amount of money he will make off each book will more than double.

7. - Top - End - #2797
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    They got the last half-million in about three days, so you never know...
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

8. - Top - End - #2798
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    They got the last half-million in about three days, so you never know...
    No. No way. It is ABSOLUTELY not going to happen. We are just BARELY going to break $1m, and that is it.

Okay, now that I've sufficiently tempted Fate... *crosses fingers*
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #2799
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's an outside shot at hitting 2000% funding, which would require about $3612 per hour from here on out.

10. - Top - End - #2800

I upped my pledge. Happy to help fund Rich's project. He's entertained me a day or two a week, not counting the great forum discussions (and the ENTIRE reason I started playing D&D in the first place!!) since 2007. :)
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-02-18 at 08:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #2801
    Ettin in the Playground

Ladies and Gentlemen.

This has been an amazing ride and I'm sure it will just go completely Knurd by the time we're done.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-02-18 at 08:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #2802

tongue Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Ladies and Gentleman.

This has been an amazing ride and I'm sure it will just go completely Knurd by the time we're done.
    Well, if we abandoned sanity around $200,000, then $800,000 later will certainly take us around to the other side.

Better go get some Bearhugger's. We overdosed on Klatchian coffee it seems.

(Yes, I too read Terry Pratchett. We know what we're talking about.)
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-02-18 at 08:36 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #2803

This really is an interesting psychological study. People are getting amped and throwing in another 5-10+ dollars, I'm sure. Hell, that's what I did. We take pride in Rich's webcomic and want to see it succeed (at the very least, smash through $1M!) and for our average pledge to be somewhere north of $80, most of our backers are putting up a lot of cash to see this work!

Whether he meant to or not, this conveniently ends on a weekend, where backers may be more prone to sipping on a glass of wine or beer (or three) right when the hype is hitting its climax. Rich may be the beneficiary of some "drunken shopping".

14. - Top - End - #2804

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Well, if we abandoned sanity around $200,000, then $800,000 later will certainly take us around to the other side.

Better go get some Bearhugger's. We overdosed on Klatchian coffee it seems.

(Yes, I too read Terry Pratchett. We know what we're talking about.)
    It's gonna take a heck of a lot of proper mountain-brewed scumble to get us anywhere near sober again, to be honest. Maybe even a couple of Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.

15. - Top - End - #2805

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    This really is an interesting psychological study. People are getting amped and throwing in another 5-10+ dollars, I'm sure. Hell, that's what I did. We take pride in Rich's webcomic and want to see it succeed (at the very least, smash through $1M!) and for our average pledge to be somewhere north of $80, most of our backers are putting up a lot of cash to see this work!

Whether he meant to or not, this conveniently ends on a weekend, where backers may be more prone to sipping on a glass of wine or beer (or three) right when the hype is hitting its climax. Rich may be the beneficiary of some "drunken shopping".
    I am literally going to be able to stay updated to the minute UNTIL th last hour. Worst timing possible for me. Frigging school.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    It's gonna take a heck of a lot of proper mountain-brewed scumble to get us anywhere near sober again, to be honest. Maybe even a couple of Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #2806
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post

17. - Top - End - #2807
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Well, if we abandoned sanity around
    I don't understand the folks with the "this is insane" reactions. The average pledge is around $80 for 11,000+ fans, big deal. Concerts to see musicians play for 2 hours can cost that much and draw an equal number of fans. There's a rule of thumb that says only 10% of your fans will help in pledge drive. Did so many people not think OotS had over 100,000 fans?

Also, most kickstarter drives have a heavy few first days, a huge lull in the middle, and then a big push at the end. Most kickstarter drive owners do not keep adding swag every other day like Rich did. That is what has driven the steady momentum.

There's nothing insane about this. It is just a good product matched to a well run drive. I'd be curious how many future KS drives don't have new swag offerings made in the weeks after the original posting based on how effective it was for this drive.

18. - Top - End - #2808

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    I don't understand the folks with the "this is insane" reactions. The average pledge is around $80 for 11,000+ fans, big deal. Concerts to see musicians play for 2 hours can cost that much and draw an equal number of fans. There's a rule of thumb that says only 10% of your fans will help in pledge drive. Did so many people not think OotS had over 100,000 fans?

Also, most kickstarter drives have a heavy few first days, a huge lull in the middle, and then a big push at the end. Most kickstarter drive owners do not keep adding swag every other day like Rich did. That is what has driven the steady momentum.

There's nothing insane about this. It is just a good product matched to a well run drive. I'd be curious how many future KS drives don't have new swag offerings made in the weeks after the original posting based on how effective it was for this drive.
    I'm not doubting that Rich has done a damn fine job at running a consistently-successful drive. If you were able to catch the Excel spreadsheet being updated, you'll see the average donation per backer has gone up and up throughout the duration! To me, though, 11,000+ people pledging $80 is a BFD, especially for a webcomic!

19. - Top - End - #2809

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    <snip>
    Giant quote paraphrase. Not my own opinion.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-02-18 at 09:12 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #2810
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Everyone is going hogwild with the big numbers, figure I'd post the small end.

A $6.27 increase from each backer puts us over the $1mil mark.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

21. - Top - End - #2811

MindFlayer

Patient Whole Story Signeds are going fast. 5 left.

And gone.

Grats to the lucky and the quick!
    Last edited by Smolder; 2012-02-18 at 09:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #2812

Got me a $300 ;) (the comments section on Kickstarter's a fun place! You might recognize me)

23. - Top - End - #2813
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post

And gone.

Grats to the lucky and the quick!
    They lasted less than 12 minutes, apparently. Full on feeding frenzy goin' on right now.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

24. - Top - End - #2814

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    They lasted less than 12 minutes, apparently. Full on feeding frenzy goin' on right now.
    I started typing that when I saw that Rich had posted 15. By the time I finished the first sentence, it was down to 7.
    Last edited by Smolder; 2012-02-18 at 09:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #2815
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*does some back of the enevlope calculations*
    *redoes them because he doesn't quite believe them*

Ya know, I won't be that surprised if this thing finishes north of 1.1M when all is said and done. And if things go really crazy, and it doesn't relatively quiet down "overnight" too much, I wouldn't be shocked to see it slip over 1.2M.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-18 at 09:53 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

26. - Top - End - #2816
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Still well over 2 days to go, and less than 70k left. I'd say that 1,000,000 is definitely a happening thing.

27. - Top - End - #2817
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Almost there...

28. - Top - End - #2818
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaximKat View Post
    Almost there...

Just pretend I shooped the current total into the distance readout, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #2819
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

I just went from $78 for the two books that I don't have yet to $115 +30 +4 for the big box of the game and a book plus the other book I need plus the patch. And there is a good chance I will add in another $15 for the art print before it is all over. This drive has been so much fun to watch and participate in.
    =^..^=

Primary Purrer of the Mr. Scruffy Fanclub

30. - Top - End - #2820
    Troll in the Playground

One thing great about this kickstarter are all the people new to the forum.
    Welcome!
    You'll find the playground to be the best forum on the internet, full of kind people.