New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 136 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    And I just botched my Knowledge(OotS History) roll.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was just going through the archive to check if the comic dealing with Belkar and O-Chul was online or in the book to see if Mr. Scruffy was with O-Chul at all in it or just just with Hinjo. But it was a bonus strip and I will not get My books back for another 6-8 weeks.

I miss not having my books.

(edit) I stand corrected, the scene with O-Chul is in #666, I just thought it was longer than one panel, and yes, no cat.
    Last edited by Skavensrule; 2012-01-24 at 12:12 PM.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

smile Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Just pledged my $45 dollars to get a new copy of WAXP...my 6-year-old girl accidentally ripped part of the cover. I was very sad.

That being said, this Kickstarter thing is all sorts of fun. I too find myself just clicking over and over to watch the totals grow. Heck, I'm thinking about starting one just to see if I can send the aforementioned 6-year-old to Disney World or something. Even though she DID Miko-SLASH my book and all...

EDIT: Of course, once I actually READ the guidelines at Kickstarter I saw that it was for creative projects only. Ah well.
    Last edited by Pollaxius; 2012-01-24 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Whoops

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Make a photo-dairy/documentary of it and you'll have your creative project.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, if the On the Origin of PCs goal is busted through, do we get No Cure for the Paladin Blues reprinted next? I'm happy to increase my commitment if I can get a combo offer, even if it includes a book I already have, I'm sure there is someone in my gaming group who doesn't.

It's over 91k now, so we're almost there, working towards completing my collection - I need me some Miko...

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

48 hours
    2000 backers
    91,000+ dollars

Not bad, not bad at all.

PS: I wouldn't want to be Belkar after all of this. Nor, as I come to think of it, anyone within three miles of him once he gets untied.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just hit 2000 individual donors, WOOHOO! But come on people, I know there are more fans of O-Chul than that out there.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    I participated!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

A recap

About 30 hours to raise $57,750.

That's $1925 an hour
    about $32.083 a minute
    about $0.53 a second

If this were a job (40 hour work week), it would pay (before taxes and deferrals)
    $77,000 a week
    $4,004,000 a year
    About 48 hours to raise $91,000

That's $1895.83 an hour
    about $31.60 a minute
    about $0.53 a second

which is really odd that both would reduce to something that close.
    Just goes to show that rounding up or down in finances is significant!

If this were still a job (40 hour work week), it would pay (before taxes and deferrals)
    $75,833.33 a week
    $3,943,333.33 a year

So,
    The averages are starting to slump by 1.5%
    Its only two data points, so It would be difficult to craft projections on them.
    But rough projection would be $894,018 by Feb 21
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-01-24 at 12:32 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

8. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Go to bed and 7 hours later another $10,000 I don't think this will ever slow down :)

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, what do you guys think, will Rich be able to update the otOoPCs rewards before the goal is actually met?

Also, the money raised? It OVER NINETY THOUSAND!

Sorry, I know, I'll show myself out...
    Nothing to see here, move along.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Lets beat him to it.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

A recap

That's $1895.83 an hour
    about $31.60 a minute
    about $0.53 a second

If this were still a job (40 hour work week), it would pay (before taxes and deferrals)
    $75,833.33 a week
    $3,943,333.33 a year

So,
    Its only two data points, so It would be difficult to craft projections on them.
    And, before anybody gets their knickers in a twist about the numbers, this is not a "holy crap this rate is sustainable and look how much we're going to raise" thing. This is a "Holy crap, that's a lot in a short amount of time. Let's extrapolate the numbers so we can have a firmer idea of what this actually means" thing.

Seriously, people, this is really cool. Look at those numbers and be awed.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

A recap

That's $1895.83 an hour
    about $31.60 a minute
    about $0.53 a second

$75,833.33 a week
    $3,943,333.33 a year

So,
    Only problem with these calculations is that $25,000 of this was the high-end incentives ($100+). So even a rough projection should not include them but I can easily see us getting to the $200,000 needed for reprinting all of the out-of-stock books if SOME MORE OF THE O-CHUL FANS WOULD DONATE(hint, hint). Past $57,750 it stoped mattering to me on a personal level as I have all the books but I feel bad for those people who became fans even a little after I did and never got the chance to get some of the books. The only reason I got NCftPB was because of my Friendly Local Shop as Ookoodook was already sold out of that one when I ordered the others.
    I participated!

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    Only problem with these calculations is that $25,000 of this was the high-end incentives ($100+). So even a rough projection should not include them but I can easily see us getting to the $200,000 needed for reprinting all of the out-of-stock books if SOME MORE OF THE O-CHUL FANS WOULD DONATE(hint, hint). Past $57,750 it stoped mattering to me on a personal level as I have all the books but I feel bad for those people who became fans even a little after I did and never got the chance to get some of the books. The only reason I got NCftPB was because of my Friendly Local Shop as Ookoodook was already sold out of that one when I ordered the others.
    I'm quite sure Rich will come up with ideas for other high-end incentives, seeing as the ones put forward were taken up so fast.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Pixie in the Playground

Now I'm worried Mr. Burlew isn't going to offer the short vectorized comic idea (sad face) simply because, at this point, there's really no need to offer any more rewards...

... or worse, he does offer it, but it's too expensive for me and/or I miss my chance to get it because I chose sleep, errands, work, or bathroom over keeping constant a watch.

Though yes, I am aware I'm already getting four EXTREMELY long awesome (and highly desired) comics (any comic with more than 20 quality panels is considered long by my standards) for a ridiculously cheap "price."

But, honestly, even if there wasn't any reward, plus the fact I already have all the books, I'd still pledge a little to this, because I strongly believe "Just because something doesn't affect you personally doesn't mean you shouldn't care."

(... okay, it does affect me personally, I hate seeing other people upset because they can't get the books...)

15. - Top - End - #345

Only problem with these calculations is that $25,000 of this was the high-end incentives ($100+). So even a rough projection should not include them but I can easily see us getting to the $200,000 needed for reprinting all of the out-of-stock books if SOME MORE OF THE O-CHUL FANS WOULD DONATE(hint, hint).
    This is true as they will skew the initial numbers.

Through realizing the total went up about $1500 in an hour just on rewards < $100 . . . factoring in the 1.5% drop ( which will definitely increase over time) . . . that' s $707,356.27

which is still wow.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-01-24 at 01:20 PM.
    Beware! Beware!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually i am not an "O-Chul"-Fan - i'm an "OotS"-Fan who would have pledged even if the Story had been about any other Character. Luckily for me i have all the books, even though i'm from Germany, where these books were hard to find.

As for the raised amount: as long as the Giant can come up with new exciting premium rewards, there will be always some kind of new startup in the pledging, but given the facts that most people pledged as soon as possible and that the word spread out really fast, i don't think that the amount gained in these first days is in any way significant for the coming pledges - more likely the pledged-money-per-day rate will drop after a few days following a hyperbel-like curve. But at the moment, this should not worry us, as until that point there should be already enough money collected to make a few dreams come true.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Through realizing the total went up about $1500 in an hour just on rewards < $100 . . . factoring in the 1.5% drop ( which will definitely increase over time) . . . that' s $707,356.27

which is still wow.
    Agreed, wow

Plus, like I said as long as we get to $200,000+ NCftPB and DStP should get re-printed. (fingers crossed)
    I participated!

18. - Top - End - #348

I'm revising my theory on why dies

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

which is still wow.
    Well since we're all Stat Nerding out, and all...

One thing I noticed late last night is that that the rate of pledges seemed to drop once all of the "limited pledge points" were locked up. Of course, it being late at night for a good share of the audience (I know OotS is a world wide phenomenon, but the Western Hemisphere still has to be the largest chunk of the readership, I think) might have had something to do with it.

Except once the two SS&DT pledge points were introduced, the rate of pledges noticably upticked again.

Moral of the story? Give people pretty baubles to shoot for and they'll try to get them.

I just hope that Rich doesn't try too push himself too hard all of this.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I just hope that Rich doesn't try too push himself too hard all of this.
    Just realize that there will be a drought of OotS updates while Rich signs his name and doodles for the next 3 months.
    Beware! Beware!

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just realize that there will be a drought of OotS updates while Rich signs his name and doodles for the next 3 months.
    Well those of us who got Crayon Drawings can conspire to release them once every couple of days on this board in his absence then.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, since reprinting On the Origins of PCs seems very likely right now, I assume they will be provided as rewards similar to War and XP? By that I mean that it's one of the rewards with no limit since Rich can just print as many as are needed.

I will have to up my pledge to have a copy of On the Origin of PCs added to my current reward then. *nodnod* If that's an option, that is. Which seems likely if it operates similar to War and XP.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-01-24 at 01:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Well those of us who got Crayon Drawings can conspire to release them once every couple of days on this board in his absence then.
    Only problem with this for me is that I have no clue how long it will take me to get my drawing.
    a: I sprung for the extra $40 to get an autographed copy and they will probably be shipped together.
    b: I don't even know what continent I will be on during May/June so it will need to be mailed to my sister and held for me.
    I have a couple of ideas but will need to see how things go around that time frame. But I do plan to post the picture even if it won't be until months later.
    I participated!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Only problem with this for me is that I have no clue how long it will take me to get my drawing.
    I was kinda making a joke. Hence the "".

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

And we just hit $94,000; that's double Haley's first-day total while we're only 24 hours past that update. Any idea when this freight train is even going to START slowing down?

I have to admit, I upped my pledge a few hours ago just so I could keep enjoying the ride! Whoo!
    Last edited by ella ventic; 2012-01-24 at 02:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rich, one quick suggestion... for those of us that already have all the books, how about adding a reward tier where we could ship our books back to you at our expense for you to autograph and return? I don't need a second copy of the books but would pledge a fair amount to get the full set signed... heck you could do ANOTHER reward tier wherein you would agree to sign any future releases as well (not including the eventual cost of those yet to be published books of course...) Pre-paid autographs, as it were...

I know, you probably don't want to be signing autographs for the next three months... It's worth consideration though.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

You know, before, it was difficult to raise 100,000$. That would be a plot of an 80s movie. Now all you need is talent and a kick-starter account. And thats wonderful.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post
    *gasp*

Is that Miko in the background of the O-Chul book cover?
    I saw your comment yesterday but didn't understand what you were talking about as I was looking in the background of the picture in the cover. But I took another look just now and I think your right. That sure does look like Miko as the shadow image.
    I participated!

29. - Top - End - #359
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Rich, one quick suggestion... for those of us that already have all the books, how about adding a reward tier where we could ship our books back to you at our expense for you to autograph and return? I don't need a second copy of the books but would pledge a fair amount to get the full set signed... heck you could do ANOTHER reward tier wherein you would agree to sign any future releases as well (not including the eventual cost of those yet to be published books of course...) Pre-paid autographs, as it were...

I know, you probably don't want to be signing autographs for the next three months... It's worth consideration though.
    Indeed, I'm pretty sure the issue isn't shipping costs, but the amount of time it would take Rich to ship all the books from his home.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I saw your comment yesterday but didn't understand what you were talking about as I was looking in the background of the picture in the cover. But I took another look just now and I think your right. That sure does look like Miko as the shadow image.
    oh - now that you say it - now i know where to look *smile*

I wonder if the Giant manages to put the OtOoPC rewards up before hitting the OtOoPC reprint line... i somehow doubt it...