New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 136 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469119 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Think there's a reason we haven't gotten an update? I hope there haven't been any complications with the prize.

(Yes, I am a natural worrier, why do you ask? )
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #542
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I was actually wondering about this, so I checked at 1:30am PST last night and 9:30am PST this morning. It came in just a shade under $7000. Let's just call it $875 an hour for that period.

And while I wasn't keeping exact track, I noticed the slowdown started around 9-10pm PST last night (it had been going at insane clip for much of the day).

Whether that is because of the time of day, or the "initial rush" of OtOoPCs orders having already cleared, I don't know. Be interesting to see the "hourly rate" right now before the NCftPB pledge points get introduced.
    Oh no, I wasn't discounting the slowdown I saw last night, but it was significantly bootstrapped by the SURGE that happened after the last update where we were seeing $5K every 15-30 minutes for a good hour or two.

Hence my disclaimer at the bottom of my past about the impact of the updates Rich puts out. They propagate significant changes to the donation pattern.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Think there's a reason we haven't gotten an update?
    Yes. I suspect Rich wants to be able to sleep, eat, and you know, work on the actual comic.

Never could have guessed.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-25 at 01:29 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Think there's a reason we haven't gotten an update? I hope there haven't been any complications with the prize.

I don't think there is a mystery prize. I think it was a moment of panic when he saw the pledges coming in too quickly, and the Giant's avoiding the site with his fingers in his ears, hoping we'll all just forget about it if he doesn't mention it again.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    ...hoping we'll all just forget about it if he doesn't mention it again.
    Fat chance of that!

edit a fourth update just appeared! YAAAY!
    Last edited by Skavensrule; 2012-01-25 at 01:39 PM.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Update is live. Julio Scoundrel's ridiculousness is the mystery prize.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Considering that this thing is skyrocketting into the stratosphere, I doubt that Rich planned this far ahead thinking that he would have time to talk with the printer, work out deals, get projections and quotes maybe by next week.

Suddenly he has had to wing that NCftPD estimate based on previous orders and then start contemplating additional levels to keep things churning while he waits for the printer to return his harried and frequent requests for proto-formed goals.

Its like that superbowl ad for the company that starts up and everyone is watching the website counter and orders, cheers when they hit a couple of hundred in the first few moments, then panic when they balloon to 10's of thousands in the same amount of time.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

8. - Top - End - #548
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

New update

Mystery prize is another Julio scoundrel comic, and Rick actually needs 150K to offer NCfPB

9. - Top - End - #549
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't think there is a mystery prize. I think it was a moment of panic when he saw the pledges coming in too quickly, and the Giant's avoiding the site with his fingers in his ears, hoping we'll all just forget about it if he doesn't mention it again.
    Now I really need my signed Dragon Tales to read julio's story

"May Roy find a True Ressurrect spell"

10. - Top - End - #550
    Colossus in the Playground

This mystery prize is going to be insane. Also, signed Start of Darkness! I'm calling it (as long as it's not too expensive)!

11. - Top - End - #551
    Banned

Nice to see how the "Let's get one book back in print" turned into "Let's get three books back into print". I guess an updated news-post is coming up as well to reflect that on this page.

And given how many pdfs we seem to get I feel it appropiate to upgrade again by some $. If Rich is going on seducing us like this, he'll soon have turned some minimal contribution to get the O-Chul story into a full-prized book.

12. - Top - End - #552

SolithKnightGuy

I think one of the prizes should be a custom forum Avatar or title. I also think it should be included for people who donated 250 or higher

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Eeeexcellent. The more PDFs we get, the better I feel about spending precious rent money on this stuff.

March-May is going to be a slow time for updates with all the signing & PDF doodling he'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    I think one of the prizes should be a custom forum Avatar or title. I also think it should be included for people who donated 250 or higher
    You know you can already have custom avatars right? I am living proof of this.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-01-25 at 01:48 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Oh no, I wasn't discounting the slowdown I saw last night, but it was significantly bootstrapped by the SURGE that happened after the last update where we were seeing $5K every 15-30 minutes for a good hour or two.

Hence my disclaimer at the bottom of my past about the impact of the updates Rich puts out. They propagate significant changes to the donation pattern.
    (All numbers as of ≈ 10:30 am PST)

Another thing I found interesting was comparing the book orders. I started out trying to figure out if there was if one of the unprinted books had more "burn off" to go through than the other.

Probably not, actually.

As of right now, and excluding "hidden orders" (ie. multiple orders of books or optional pledges that wouldn't be shown) we have at least:

1037 orders of W&XP in 73 hours ≈ 13.5 per hour
    523 orders of OtOoPCs in 35 hours ≈ 14.9 per hour

So, really about the same if one gives the lead in time for W&XP.

The other thing that consistantly draws my eye is the ratio between people who want books (or the super pledge points) and those who don't:

1359/2744 ≈ 49.5% of orders go for the O-Chul Book + magnet (or two magnets).

So, really, it seems to be roughly half and half. When one considers the rush of orders that happen when new book pledge points are added, that's pretty impressive. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that when this is all said and done that the inital print run won't be covered just by the $10 and $14 pledge points. Right now, just those two pledge points cover just a shade under 25% of the initial goal.

Now, I know that if there were no higher pledge points, most people (if not a vast majority) still would have pledged. And some more than at the $10/$14 points. But it is fun to look at the $10/$14 point and see just when/if it will cross the barrier all by itself.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #555
    Banned

Oh, and btw, YAY! for Julio Scoundrél! I really liked his story and especially the art done there!

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

At some point, Giant, could you upload the project images (funding graphs and "Kickstarter" comic) to the extras section?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Oh, and btw, YAY! for Julio Scoundrél! I really liked his story and especially the art done there!
    "I'm participating!"

ETA:

If folks want autographed copies of Start of Darkness, better get ready to act quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Update Page
    P.S. I'll be adding some signed Start of Darkness copies to the rewards in about 15 minutes.
    Posted around 10 minutes ago.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-25 at 01:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I could be wrong but I think the total went up by almost $2000 in just the last 20 minutes and Rich hasn't even posted any new incentives yet.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

19. - Top - End - #559

There is an update.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    I could be wrong but I think the total went up by almost $2000 in just the last 20 minutes and Rich hasn't even posted any new incentives yet.
    Nah, there has been around 10 more backers in the last 30 minutes or so (I still had the ≈10:30 am PST numbers that I was making for my post above and I dud a quick check). Probably looked at the total wrong. I know I've done it more than once.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-25 at 02:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Huzzah! I loved the highly detailed stick figure art.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

Considering that this thing is skyrocketting into the stratosphere, I doubt that Rich planned this far ahead thinking that he would have time to talk with the printer, work out deals, get projections and quotes maybe by next week.

Its like that superbowl ad for the company that starts up and everyone is watching the website counter and orders, cheers when they hit a couple of hundred in the first few moments, then panic when they balloon to 10's of thousands in the same amount of time.
    YES. That is what this reminds me of: The Beast! (Any fellow cloudmakers on the boards?) The designers thought they had three months' worth of puzzles but the players solved them all on day one. Panic most definitely ensued. I hope Rich takes better care of himself than those guys did; I don't think they were sleeping by the end. I'd be quite happy with updates every few days, even if it hurt the eventual total, if it meant that Rich was able to stay relatively stress-free.

On the other hand, also very Beast-like is the sense of excitement that happens when lots and lots of people come together very strongly and quickly for a common goal. A little like going surfing by standing on the back of a roller coaster which is also flying. Very heady!

I just hope there's some way we can keep the elation of the second bit while eliminating the stress of the first.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    People upping their pledge amounts in advance to be sure they can cover whatever new incentive is out ASAP?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #564

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    "I'm participating!"

ETA:

If folks want autographed copies of Start of Darkness, better get ready to act quick!
    Heh, anyone else addicted to their F5 key right now?

25. - Top - End - #565

SolithKnightGuy

You know you can already have custom avatars right? I am living proof of this.
    I meant something by the giant. I figure it's probably easier to do that than make a 8x10 crayon drawing, but it would still be unique.

26. - Top - End - #566

I vote the cabals secret benefactor is a certain evil general...

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    At some point, Giant, could you upload the project images (funding graphs and "Kickstarter" comic) to the extras section?
    I was actually coming here to suggest that when this is all said and done, compiling the graphs in one location (or including them as a PDF to donators) would be fun.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    People upping their pledge amounts in advance to be sure they can cover whatever new incentive is out ASAP?
    I doubled mine to help reach the Paladin Blues level. I don't have that book either. I might throw in another $40 or so to get to Don't Split levels if this moon shot on the graph continues.

29. - Top - End - #569

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bjornthedwarf View Post
    I was actually coming here to suggest that when this is all said and done, compiling the graphs in one location (or including them as a PDF to donators) would be fun.
    I fully support publishing the graphs as a separate PDF. Or as part of the O-Chul comic.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-25 at 02:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

For those that still care about the numbers

30 hours to raise $57,750
    48 hours to raise $91,000
    72 hours to raise $127,000

with all the big ticket items gone in that first 48 hour period,
    we are left with the unfrilled donations so then we can look at things more closely without any of the initial noise.

In the last 24 hours, $36,000 was raised.
    This averages out perfectly to $1500 an hour which is what we were seeing yesterday afternoon. It's amazing that there has been no significant decrease in donations since then, so we know we have not reached the saturation point.

I'll be curious to see if this continues to stay stable, or if Rich somehow manages to increase the average donations with the next update.

Again . . . still . . . wow.

Well, I stand corrected on my "It can't possibly continue at that rate" statement.