New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 136 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839405580130 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

This probably has been asked in 29 pages of posts but maybe someone who caught it can share. I know it's a reprint drive. but I as I dont need any of the books I already have... any chance of a preorder being thrown in for the next book at the 25-35 dollar level?

2. - Top - End - #872
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Dammit, would've loved the signed 8x10 print.

Anything with "signed" in it seems to sell out as fast as Rich can put it up. Gutted.

Ah, well, the unsigned one will look just as nice on my wall

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You know, to make more money, Haley could probably start taking bets on WHEN we will reach certain goals. So, how long to raise the next $15000 for mystery reward 2?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jscheibel View Post
    This probably has been asked in 29 pages of posts but maybe someone who caught it can share. I know it's a reprint drive. but I as I dont need any of the books I already have... any chance of a preorder being thrown in for the next book at the 25-35 dollar level?
    That raises a few issues. You'd be donating money in February for a book that might not come out until 2013, if at all. (god forbid, but you have to be realistic. Sometimes authors don't finish works) Even if he finishes the book online soon, printing might not happen for months after. Notice that he didn't add books to the rewards until they were guaranteed to be reprinted. (or were in stock) That way, you're not making a donation for a reward you might not get.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    That raises a few issues. You'd be donating money in February for a book that might not come out until 2013, if at all. (god forbid, but you have to be realistic. Sometimes authors don't finish works) Even if he finishes the book online soon, printing might not happen for months after. Notice that he didn't add books to the rewards until they were guaranteed to be reprinted. (or were in stock) That way, you're not making a donation for a reward you might not get.
    And considering what happened the last time we had a pre-order, I'm not sure Rich is entirely keen on repeating the experience.

ETA: Though I suppose, in a way this is a pre-order. But there's a bit of a difference between pre-ordering some that is going to be sent to the printers in a reasonably close time frame and something that might not happen for months and months down the road (consdiering we have no idea when Book 5 will be finished, never mind the bonus content of said Book 5).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-27 at 09:48 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    EDIT: Now, what sort of system is in place to guard against people pledging money they know they can't come up with? I wonder how much of the $200k currently pledged isn't going to come through? I mean, sure, whoever welches doesn't get the reward, but could there be enough of that, do you think, do jeopardize the project?
    The extra bonus prize at 300K will provide Rich with some insurance against this if we get there. Also, if someone misses a signed award or one of the real specials, then there will be about 4000 people who won't mind being spammed by a message saying one of these has become available. Then there will be conservative assumptions that a lot of orders will require overseas postage. Finally, remember that once Rich knows he is reprinting books, he can announce them to the games retailers and they can be putting in orders. He should be getting some money from the better payers and from people ordering the reprinted stuff from ookookdook before he has to pay for the postage on the signed packages especially if he pays for that with a credit card.

So I think there is sufficient buffer to absorb all scenarios that are less likely than multiple earthquakes affecting his custom base or nuclear war in which case there are bigger things to worry about.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    (consdiering we have no idea when Book 5 will be finished, never mind the bonus content of said Book 5).
    Well, book 5 isn't that far out in terms of the other books. DStP was 180ish strips. There are 150ish strips ready for book 5. Of course, there has to be a story stopping point too. But that could be as simple as Xykon leaving Azure City. Although I suspect some kind of resolution with Elan/Nate/Dad and/or Haley/Her Dad will end book 5.

Of course finishing the 3 commission stories, O'Chul and Julio will take some time out of getting the "extras" for book 5 done. So 2013 is slightly conservative I think. But before mid-Fall 2012 is unlikely.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    And considering what happened the last time we had a pre-order, I'm not sure Rich is entirely keen on repeating the experience.
    You mean when everyone was complaining about the delay on SS&DT? Yeah...I can see how that might have put him off. Be polite, Playgrounders!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is that the money comes out of your account at the end of the February. At which point these things would be shipping. You'd be paying in February for something that won't come out until the end of the year at the earliest, 2013 likely. That's quite a bit different than just a few month delay.
    Last edited by NerfTW; 2012-01-27 at 11:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

FANS SMASH PUNY GOALS!!!!

thog helped!

Also, If you have problems with printing this time you will actually have the money to do the super fast emergency printing you were mentioning you couldn't do with SSaDT. Just saying.
    The rules of the game are only what the current participants agree they should be, remember this. The rulebook for whatever you play are only suggestions.

Currently playing as the Maya in GMR game #6.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Less than $7k to go to Mystery Prize #2!

WeLoveFireballs, I would assume that any sort of super-fast emergency printing would cost more and Rich would either have to drop one of the print runs or else increase the reward levels he's already set--I doubt anybody would be very happy with either option.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Here's an alternative suggestion: NO TSUKIKO STORY. She was infuriating enough in-comic. Not that she was a badly-done character (far from it!), but I hate her in a way that Xykon doesn't come close to, much less Redcloak.
    For me, Tsukiko is the Umbridge of OotS. She's an even nastier piece of work than the Big Bad, but the character is also very interesting and extremely well written. I can't stand her, but I like the character, if that makes any sense

Also, I'll have to wait a few more days before I can pledge. Argh. But I already know that I'll be getting the art print =D
    Huh, do you think SSaDT is an option for the $25+$30 (+$10 for shipping) pledge? It doesn't say it's not, but I guess I'll message the Giant about that shortly before I pledge.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    Huh, do you think SSaDT is an option for the $25+$30 (+$10 for shipping) pledge? It doesn't say it's not, but I guess I'll message the Giant about that shortly before I pledge.
    I'm a bit confused about SSaDT. If you only want that book, it is a limited reward, and also in combination with W&XP. But other options, e.g. the 'print only special', also contain it and aren't limited. So, probably best to ask.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Less than $1500 until the second surprise. I wonder if it will spawn another surge in donations, because $300k looks a tall order at this point.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #885
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd say not likely, unless some new pledges are announced.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    For me, Tsukiko is the Umbridge of OotS.
    I'd really disagree with that assessment. I don't think Tsukiko has the level of undeserved impertinent arrogance that Umbridge had.

The kind of hate and rancor I felt for that woman is the level of hate I hold for Twilight and that is a deep, heart felt thing.

To each their own I suppose, but I support seeing a backstory for Tsukiko as one of the Mystery prizes or as one of the 1,250 pledge rewards.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-01-28 at 11:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    I'd really disagree with that assessment. I don't think Tsukiko has the level of undeserved impertinent arrogance that Umbridge had.

The kind of hate and rancor I felt for that woman is the level of hate I hold for Twilight and that is a deep, heart felt thing.

To each their own I suppose, but I support seeing a backstory for Tsukiko as one of the Mystery prizes or as one of the 1,250 pledge rewards.
    What I meant is that I think there are a boatloads of people who hate Umbridge more than Voldemort, and I kind of feel the same way about Tsukiko. I'd rather meet Xykon than her, she's just so crazy and dislikable – but I love to hate her because she's so well written!
    That said, I'd love to know her backstory, how she became the person we see in the comic strip, what landed her in prison, etc.

(And from what I gather from your comment, our literary tastes overlap )

18. - Top - End - #888
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Umbridge and Voldemort might actually be a good comparision here, or as good as any other:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter series is probably just as evil as Umbridge, if not more so. In real life, you'd also be better off meeting Umbridge; because she's not an epic level sorcerer (or super powerful wizard, in this case) and is unlikely to kill you with a single spell. But Umbridge is just ever so more smug about it, and thus is less liked than Voldemort.

But, we're getting off-topic.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

$1018 left until Mystery Prize #2!

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Less than $1500 until the second surprise. I wonder if it will spawn another surge in donations, because $300k looks a tall order at this point.
    The curve will surely deflate soon, but given that we have 24 days left, it's certainly not an impossibility to get there eventually.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

20. - Top - End - #890
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Giant said that "the lowest pledges will be able to increase slightly to get it, too" in regards to Mystery Prize #2. How many people do you reckon will increase their $10 pledge? This could give us quite a boost towards the next goal, depending on where Mystery Prize #2 falls on the rewards scale…

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume the it works is "Anyone pledging over $X will get this prize", and then there will be a new pledge with "This gets you MP#2" on it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

22. - Top - End - #892

Flumph

Argh.

I have to finish my taxes and/or determine if I'm getting a bonus this year before I can =reasonably= afford to bump up....

....oh, who am I kidding.

Anyway, if all books get reprinted, I'm buying all of them.
    My God.... It's full of stars....

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Crikey... I've been reading about this drive for a few days now here and on another nerd forum I frequent religiously, and I'm just frickin' blown away by the loyalty and support of the OOTS fanbase (which a fellow forumite once refered to as "insane" in the positive sense).

Hell, I'm tempted to donate myself, and that's saying something. My willigness to impart with any personal information online has always been comparable to [spoilered due to disturbing mental image]
    Spoiler
    Show
    my willingness to stick my willy in a blender
    , so it's quite the feat for me. But man, to choose between the PDF collection and the poster? And there's the mystery prize hanging in there as well... Oh maaaannnn...

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    Crikey... I've been reading about this drive for a few days now here and on another nerd forum I frequent religiously, and I'm just frickin' blown away by the loyalty and support of the OOTS fanbase (which a fellow forumite once refered to as "insane" in the positive sense).

Hell, I'm tempted to donate myself, and that's saying something. My willigness to impart with any personal information online has always been comparable to [spoilered due to disturbing mental image]
    Spoiler
    Show
    my willingness to stick my willy in a blender
    , so it's quite the feat for me. But man, to choose between the PDF collection and the poster? And there's the mystery prize hanging in there as well... Oh maaaannnn...
    The PDFs come with EVERY pledge over $10, no matter what else you get. So picking the poster gets them all. And I assume the mystery prizes are further PDF freebies rather than new pledge rewards, so you should get that as well.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Almost as important as the running total is the number of backers. As better rewards come out, backers may increase their pledges, but great jumps in the total come from a wave of New backers. (a single backer changing a pledge from $10 to $25 yields less of an increase than a new back pledging $25)

I know I have reached my personal maximum I can give to this pledge at a signed poster. So more rewards are great, but I personally cannot do anymore to reach the next goal. (Of course, I say that now, perhaps I should wait until the other rewards are announced)

Except I can talk about it, on facebook, google+, steam, blogs. Get your friends who always borrowed your books involved, even if they've never read online. Because to reach $300K I feel we need new backers. (to reach 300K at current number of backers, we need an average of $82 per pledge)

On that note, We finally hit 3,700 backers! Will we see 4,000 within a week? (I wonder how the number of backers compare to the number of active forum users)

26. - Top - End - #896
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Less than $400 to go!

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    The PDFs come with EVERY pledge over $10, no matter what else you get. So picking the poster gets them all. And I assume the mystery prizes are further PDF freebies rather than new pledge rewards, so you should get that as well.
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE!!!

Ahem, sorry. You just happened to tap into the Little Fanboy side of me right there. Carry on.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Less than $400 to go!
    $104 to go. The tension is killing me.

29. - Top - End - #899

$222,086!

and over 3700 backers at this point, woot!

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Mystery Prize #2!!

We're officially beating The Giant at Kickstarter!!

Spoiler
    Show
    I know it's supposed to be a co-operative thing, but so is D&D and look how often that happens. I prefer the us vs. the GM mentality.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-01-28 at 12:51 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.