New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839404142435883133 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Ok, that is a thoroughly awesome mystery prize.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

"Dim Sun"???

I love it.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder what Roy will carry in Dim Sun Settings? I heard that Steel weapons are banned and available for god kings. What are the races in Dark Sun setting?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #964
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Exediron View Post
    Now that things have slowed down enough for data not to become hopelessly out of date the moment it's posted, I did some statistical analysis of the pledges so far:
    The only problem with your analysis is that it's necessarily incomplete because it doesn't take account of additional money people pledged over and above the line for the reward they chose. For instance, I'm in the $52 pledge bracket, but I had to pledge at least $62 for overseas shipping, and I actually pledged $65 because I like multiples of 5 (yes, I'm weird, thanks for noticing ).

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

And now we know what Durkon would look like shaved.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

I might have to read up on some Dark Sun again so I'm fresh when the parody rolls in.

Also, Thri-Kreen V? Interesting.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-01-29 at 03:26 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Remember that many of those who pledged beyond their reward level are either extra magnets, shipping costs, extra books and the like.
    Yeah, I did forget about that. Let's see what effect that probably has:

The total number of pledges which are potentially affected by shipping costs was 2,415 (pledge levels 1 and 2 don't pay extra shipping) as of the posting of the table. Of these, not all pay the same amount of shipping.

Assuming that about half of the people who get books have them shipped international (I have no idea how valid of an assumption this is, but whatever) we can take off about $13,500 worth of the extra for shipping. Assuming that roughly half of the people able to get extra books do so, and that they in turn get roughly half of the extra books they are able to, that's another ~$9,500 off. This doesn't count any resulting upgrades to shipping rates. I'm also assuming that most of the people at the $240 level took the option to get a full signed run of the books.

That leaves us with about $7,000 of actual over-pledging, which averages out to only about $2 extra per head. I expect that the distribution curve of pledging beyond reward level is far from even, however; I think it's likely that most of the higher-than-reward pledges come from people in the mid-to-high range - they already have what they want, but they might want to throw a little extra support the project's way. People at lower levels would seem more likely to simply upgrade to a higher reward if they wish to up their contribution.

Obviously, all of the people who selected no reward level pledged above their level, but I doubt they pledged $500 each.

Also: Hey, update while I was typing this! It's not a new reward level, so the numbers have a shot at remaining valid for another day...

EDIT: Whenever I make an updated table I can run some math to try to get the effect of average shipping cost on the pledge levels. However, as a chart of the percentage of rewards people selected it is still accurate.
    Last edited by Exediron; 2012-01-29 at 03:20 AM. Reason: To add content and address recent posts

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

BTW, for the people not familiar with what is being parodied, it is only the second greatest Campaign Setting TSR ever created (with Planescape being the first in this Playgrounder's not so humble opinion).

Dark Sun.

If anyone is a member of any of the Dark Sun fansites out there, or knows how to get a hold of them, letting them know about this might very well be a way to drum up even more support for the drive.

Seriously an OotS take on Dark Sun has me drooling over here. And I suspect it would leave a lot of Dark Sun fans drooling as well.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-29 at 03:17 AM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh. Dim Sun. Awesome. Love the angry star.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

10. - Top - End - #970
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Seriously an OotS take on Dark Sun has me drooling over here. And I suspect it would leave a lot of Dark Sun fans drooling as well.
    The only problem with that is we're already getting it - they don't need to contribute anything more for it, except as a sign of approval.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The only problem with that is we're already getting it - they don't need to contribute anything more for it, except as a sign of approval.
    What I was saying is that any Dark Sun fans who might be unaware of the drive, but are still fans of OotS, might contribute $10 just to get this short story. Heck they might just contribute $10 bucks just on general principles to see a parody of DS even if they were previously unaware of The Order of the Stick.

It's kinda of piggybacking on WampaX's idea of going to other RPG websites and spreading the word of what is going on here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-29 at 03:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, but if any Dark Sun fans don't know it would be a disservice to them not to let them know and then for them to donate.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Looks like I've upgraded my pledge. I'll have a full Order of the Stick collection sooner than I thought!

Callooh! Callay! I chortle in joy!
    Last edited by Lappy9001; 2012-01-29 at 03:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's what I think we should do.

Have that red graph line even out for a few days, so Haley will start walking on it. Maybe just a little upward slope, that'd be good, and then, when she least expects it... everyone suddenly donate a ton of money so she either bumps into the "wall" or trips over it.

Because I'm tired and feeling a little mean and I want the guilt-trip of imagining Elan's reaction to my suggesting that so I can tell him I didn't really mean it.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm definitely gonna get in on this; Only reason I haven't pledged is because i haven't been able to decide how much to pledge. Ah so many great rewards, and not enough money to afford them all XD
    Though the fact that we are so close to getting EVERY book back in print does make things a bit easier...

Ah curse my indecisiveness
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-01-29 at 04:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There's an autographed set of Origins and War and XPs going atm. Thought I'd give people a heads-up, doubt it'll be there long.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Heh... now my imagination is showing me images of Dragondance OotS and eBayIron OotS...

Recalled Kingdoms OotS and Greypigeon OotS wouldn't be much different, though, I guess.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I would raise my pledge if there were t-shirts as rewards...

19. - Top - End - #979
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hello everybody:)
    Is there a way to only buy Dungeon Crawling Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues? I only found the pick three box, but i already own the other books, and it's a little bit expensive (94$+37$) for me, for this month (damn economic crisis!:P)

By now, i'm going for the 42$+10$ pledge to get NCftPB, i was really longing for a reprint:)
    This drive has been awesome and exciting and i wish i could contribute more by the end of it; Rich Burlew has done something great, with the comic, and with the community.

And for me the second mistery prize is a wonderful reward: i played a character in Dark Sun setting (AD&D) for a continous ten-year campaign, and it's a great, and in some way sweet, surprise to see the The Order of the Stick under the crimson sun. In my opinion is one of the best setting ever created, very iconic and easy to visually refere to.

Thank you :)

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topus View Post
    Hello everybody:)
    Is there a way to only buy Dungeon Crawling Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues? I only found the pick three box, but i already own the other books, and it's a little bit expensive (94$+37$) for me, for this month (damn economic crisis!:P)

By now, i'm going for the 42$+10$ pledge to get NCftPB, i was really longing for a reprint:)
    This drive has been awesome and exciting and i wish i could contribute more by the end of it; Rich Burlew has done something great, with the comic, and with the community.

And for me the second mistery prize is a wonderful reward: i played a character in Dark Sun setting (AD&D) for a continous ten-year campaign, and it's a great, and in some way sweet, surprise to see the The Order of the Stick under the crimson sun. In my opinion is one of the best setting ever created, very iconic and easy to visually refere to.

Thank you :)
    Your bes bet is to message the Giant about adding the other book to a single book pledge. It's what he suggested I do, I did, and now I'm getting 3 books despite only having the DStP pledge.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Thank you, i'll try this :)

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Also, Thri-Kreen V? Interesting.
    Far more interesting, in my view: preserver or defiler? Considering V's penchant for oversized spells, I'd say defiler, but that opens a whole new can of worms right there.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #983
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Far more interesting, in my view: preserver or defiler? Considering V's penchant for oversized spells, I'd say defiler, but that opens a whole new can of worms right there.

Grey Wolf
    Mmm, now that i think of it, in 2ed Thrikreen were not allowed to be wizard, preserver nor defiler. But in Dim Sun, everything is possible :D

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topus View Post
    Mmm, now that i think of it, in 2ed Thrikreen were not allowed to be wizard, preserver nor defiler. But in Dim Sun, everything is possible :D
    Why 2ed? Wouldn't they be Dim Sun 3.5, like the main continuity? Not that I know that one any better; my only contact with DS RP started like a week and a half ago, when making the character for the PbP in this forum, and it was 4E anyway.

Also, I feel Haley should be a sun runner. And Roy a Mul, although that would put a stop to his mother's plans for pitter-patters, of course.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

There was no official Dark Sun update for 3.5, but I don't see how that'd affect this alternate OotS though. Rich moved away from mechanics and such a loooong time ago.

A comment on the update is right:

I too would enjoy seeing an Eberron style OotS!

26. - Top - End - #986
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Why 2ed? Wouldn't they be Dim Sun 3.5, like the main continuity?
    I said 2Ed because it's the one i know, as i played for almost ten year in DS 2ed, and i thought there will be no difference in thri-kreen restictions, but i may be wrong, perhaps in 3.5 kreen can be wizards ;)

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    There was no official Dark Sun update for 3.5, but I don't see how that'd affect this alternate OotS though. Rich moved away from mechanics and such a loooong time ago.
    Interesting... in 4E there are, of course, no restrictions to class due to race. And yes, Rich will of course ignore any and all rules that get in the way of the parody, so I wasn't expecting that that would stop him.

Weird that DS got abandoned in 3.5. Was there a port to 3.0, at least? Or did the whole setting got thrown under a bus for 10 years?

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #988
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

What about a Psion V? Opens up a few new jokes...

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting... in 4E there are, of course, no restrictions to class due to race. And yes, Rich will of course ignore any and all rules that get in the way of the parody, so I wasn't expecting that that would stop him.

Weird that DS got abandoned in 3.5. Was there a port to 3.0, at least? Or did the whole setting got thrown under a bus for 10 years?

Grey Wolf
    I think it got thrown under the bus, just like Ravenloft, Planescape and Spelljammer.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think it got thrown under the bus, just like Ravenloft, Planescape and Spelljammer.
    Ravenloft got a 3.X update from Sword and Sorcery, officially licensed by WotC.

I too would enjoy seeing an Eberron style OotS!
    Ah, that would be the first sign of the coming reign of the Rich Baker.
    Be careful what you wish for my friend . . . very careful indeed.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-01-29 at 10:50 AM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground