New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 136 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849506590 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Cool I got my wish... saw the e-mailed update and rushed home to update my pledge.

On an aside: the total amount I pledged should include money added on for Canada/Mexico/Int'l shipping yes?

Edit: oooo as of this post about $7.5k more to MYSTERY PRIZE #3
    Last edited by Terribad; 2012-01-31 at 08:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

I don't check for one day, and... This happens.

We are all clearly Insane. But that's okay. Sanity is boring anyway.

What is Rich going to do with the rest of the funds? Work on the Linear Guild Expansion (Actually, that's not a horrible idea)
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-01-31 at 08:49 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ettin in the Playground

Build an underground lair somewhere.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Pixie in the Playground

Ghaa! I choose going to sleep over staying up all night so I'll have energy on my birthday only to wake up and find I missed another chance for-

Oh, oh wait, I'm sorry, it was for a hand-drawn picture instead of the digital comic's style, and more importantly, for far more than I can possibly afford.

Never mind then, I'll just go enjoy the fact I finally woke up in a good mood instead of all grumpy and cynical on my birthday, and also go play Space Quest 2 (the original, not the remake) like I'd been planning on (a few years ago I started a list of games I've beaten where I write down the dates, but only counting games I beat after the date I started the list, and I usually save classic Sierra games for "special dates" since they don't take too long thanks to beating them many times before starting the list).

I'm loving the mini-comic going on with the graphs too by the way.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Woohoo! Every single OOTS book in one go. This is the best use of a tax refund ever. And $6,500 until the MYSTERY PRIZE!

If this is what we raise in a week and a half, I'm a little terrified of how much the Giant is going to have to produce to justify a whole month's worth.

After today's comic I'm hoping for
    Spoiler
    Show
    another alternate-universe story, this one the tale of Pirate Queen Haley And the Buccaneers of the Stick versus Cap'n Aaaaarghcloak and Crew Evil.
    But maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by Shale; 2012-01-31 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duskranger View Post
    The Debit cards KoboldBard talks about are creditcards, but than prepaid, you put a certain amount of money on them.

I will order one this evening, so I can get the 3 print only books. And off course the magnet and the PDF's.
    Actually no, I was talking about debit cards, as in the one I use in cash machines.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Woohoo! Every single OOTS book in one go. This is the best use of a tax refund ever. And $6,500 until the MYSTERY PRIZE!

If this is what we raise in a week and a half, I'm a little terrified of how much the Giant is going to have to produce to justify a whole month's worth.
    Hehe, for the sake of his sanity he's going to have to hope we hit a plateau at some point.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Actually no, I was talking about debit cards, as in the one I use in cash machines.
    We call that bankpasses. Or as we say in the Netherlands pinpassen (or bankpassen). At least if you mean what I think what you mean. Stupid multiple languages, we should've never sold New Amsterdam, than everyone would've spoken Dutch, which in my opinion is easier
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

We now have less than $5,000 to go before Mystery Prize #3!

At this rate we'll hit the ceiling before I leave work today. Rich is gonna need a bigger target.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's great how so many people are pledging, really says somethign about the community here! I just wanted to ask (Sorry if this was mentioned womewhere), can I get the pledge rewards outside the United States? I live in Europe and am a huge Oots fan, and I'd love to participate too!

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed you can, that's what add x$ for international shipping is for.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duskranger View Post
    We call that bankpasses. Or as we say in the Netherlands pinpassen (or bankpassen). At least if you mean what I think what you mean. Stupid multiple languages, we should've never sold New Amsterdam, than everyone would've spoken Dutch, which in my opinion is easier
    And if Spain had managed to squash the low country insurrection, then you'd have spoken Spanish, and so would've the whole US (rather than just 20%). And since Spanish is even easier, it'd be a great world all around.

Edit: I should add a brief explanation for non-history geeks: Holland and Belgium once were part of the Spanish empire, and indeed still remember it in the Netherlands national anthem, the only national anthem to proclaim loyalty to a different country.

OT: extra money: Rich can put it aside towards the next book, whatever it is, just like he had $16000 for the reprint of W&XPs. He can't include it in the pledge since he has no idea when he'll publish it, but the money is patient, I'm sure.

In another order of business, I have been trying to guesstimate just how much money Rich will actually keep from the ~300k. 5% is kept by Kickstart, 3-5% is kept by Amazon, and a lot of those rewards take their own bite out, too. Not the high-end rewards that require Rich's time, but like it has been pointed out, a lot of the money is just to cover international shipping, paying for books, etc. Take that out, and the actual money that will go to printing all these books is closer to 150k, a lot certainly, but still...

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-01-31 at 10:08 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, I am now *OFFICIALLY* worried for Rich:

Spoiler
    Show
    25 Poster-Prints
    30 copies of DCF
    30 copies of NCftPB
    25 copies of War & XP
    35 copies of DStP
    25 copies of OotPCs
    25 copies of War & XP
    35 copies of Start of Darkness
    35 copies of misc books
    30 copies of War & XP
    30 copies of SSaDT
    60 Holiday Ornaments
    50 Colour Crayon drawings
    30 copies of DCF
    30 copies of NCftPB
    30 copies of War & XP
    30 copies of OotPCs
    30 copies of Start of Darkness
    30 copies of SSaDT
    25 copies of DCF
    25 copies of NCftPB
    25 copies of War & XP
    25 copies of DStP
    25 copies of OotPCs
    25 copies of Start of Darkness
    25 copies of SSaDT
    15 copies of DCF
    15 copies of NCftPB
    15 copies of War & XP
    15 copies of DStP
    15 copies of OotPCs
    15 copies of Start of Darkness
    15 copies of SSaDT
    15 Colour Crayon drawings
    5 Custom D&D Crayon drawings
    3 Colour Crayon Drawings
    3 copies of War & XP
    1 Custom D&D Crayon drawing
    1 copy of War & XP

...or 923 items....

...that need to be signed. At least. Not counting stuff people have added to their pledges.
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-01-31 at 10:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Dwarf in the Playground

I haven't found mention of this yet, so I'll just post this for posting's sake:
    There are currently 404 limited edition reward pledge levels that involve Mr. Burlew personally touching up and sending out. 404! As of this posting 373 are taken, with 31 still available.

EDIT: GAH! Ninja'd. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Ok, I am now *OFFICIALLY* worried for Rich:

Spoiler
    Show
    25 Poster-Prints
    30 copies of DCF
    30 copies of NCftPB
    25 copies of War & XP
    35 copies of DStP
    25 copies of OotPCs
    25 copies of War & XP
    35 copies of Start of Darkness
    35 copies of misc books
    30 copies of War & XP
    30 copies of SSaDT
    60 Holiday Ornaments
    50 Colour Crayon drawings
    30 copies of DCF
    30 copies of NCftPB
    30 copies of War & XP
    30 copies of OotPCs
    30 copies of Start of Darkness
    30 copies of SSaDT
    25 copies of DCF
    25 copies of NCftPB
    25 copies of War & XP
    25 copies of DStP
    25 copies of OotPCs
    25 copies of Start of Darkness
    25 copies of SSaDT
    15 copies of DCF
    15 copies of NCftPB
    15 copies of War & XP
    15 copies of DStP
    15 copies of OotPCs
    15 copies of Start of Darkness
    15 copies of SSaDT
    15 Colour Crayon drawings
    5 Custom D&D Crayon drawings
    3 Colour Crayon Drawings
    3 copies of War & XP
    1 Custom D&D Crayon drawing
    1 copy of War & XP

...or 923 items....

...that need to be signed. At least. Not counting stuff people have added to their pledges.
    Yeah, there's definitely been stuff added on. I know I personally contributed an extra 6. So at least 929.

I hope he's not going to be too busy with all those rewards to keep working on the main comic. Although if his ability to manage this drive whilst still producing great strips is any indication, we should be just fine.
    Last edited by CloakedDancer; 2012-01-31 at 10:17 AM.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

15. - Top - End - #1185

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    And if Spain had managed to squash the low country insurrection, then you'd have spoken Spanish, and so would've the whole US (rather than just 20%). And since Spanish is even easier, it'd be a great world all around.

OT: extra money: Rich can put it aside towards the next book, whatever it is, just like he had $16000 for the reprint of W&XPs. He can't include it in the pledge since he has no idea when he'll publish it, but the money is patient, I'm sure.

In another order of business, I have been trying to guesstimate just how much money Rich will actually keep from the ~300k. 5% is kept by Kickstart, 3-5% is kept by Amazon, and a lot of those rewards take their own bite out, too. Not the high-end rewards that require Rich's time, but like it has been pointed out, a lot of the money is just to cover international shipping, paying for books, etc. Take that out, and the actual money that will go to printing all these books is closer to 150k, a lot certainly, but still...

Grey Wolf
    Actually, unless DStP is the last book to need a reprint, it's quite likely that Rich will not actually keep any money for himself (in the short term).

Each objective is put on top of the last one with the money needed to print each book. The print run will, obviously, be larger than the amount of books actually "preordered" via Kickstarter.

So if Rich keeps adding print objectives, the total amount pledged will be equal (or slightly over) the amount needed to print the actual books commited to print.

Once those books are printed though, Ookoodook will have stock to sell these books for quite some time, and he probably has book and comic book stores to sell to that havent pledged on Kickstarter.

So, bottom line, cash wise, the drive itself will not make Rich 300.000 dollars richer, but it'll give him a huge capital in printed material that he'll start seeing pure profit on from the first day after the drive is over. If you take shipping expenses pledges into account, wich will add to his costs, he might even loose CASH (emphasis on cash, he's not loosing because he's gaining a capital that is worth much more than the cash he's spending).

This is unless DStP is the last book to be reprinted and then, everything above 283.120, minus shipping expenses, would actually be profit. At least that's my take on it.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

*mumbleaddanother3booksmumble*

..so that's 932......I feel guilty about abusing Rich's hand now.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, look at it from the bright side... he'll get a quite steady signature after that ordeal. (if he hasn't already)

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Giant has already said (not sure if it was a forum post or in one of the updates) that the next thing to fund after Don't Split the Party is Start of Darkness, since this pledge drive basically cleaned out their supply of that book.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Con lines were much more brutal.
    -He can go at his own pace, not having to keep up with an ever increasing line.
    -He doesn't have to be the point of cross contamination from the unwashed to washed masses.
    -He doesn't have to deal with irate customers or people depressed that the booth ran out of something they were hoping to get.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

WE HAVE JUST BROKEN 300K

21. - Top - End - #1191

Something that makes me extremely happy about this drive is the fact that The Giant is willing and feeling up to putting a bunch of extra work on himself, and that he is communicating with his fans very fluidly.

That's a really good sign about how he's feeling in general and I'm really very happy for him.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe Rich said that if we go much higher he may put getting a fresh print of Start of Darkness (not actually out of print yet, but will be somewhat depleted by this kickstarter) as the next target. I would assume that if this is the case, the next non-mystery target would be Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, then (maybe) Snips Snails and Dragon Tales, and anything left over after that would probably go in a pot to prepare for the next book(s).

Also, roughly $500 until the ceiling! I hope that "Up and Out" button works.

Edit: I am that pokemon which occasionally has a shell clamp down on his tail and becomes a bro.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2012-01-31 at 10:27 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    So, bottom line, cash wise, the drive itself will not make Rich 300.000 dollars richer, but it'll give him a huge capital in printed material that he'll start seeing pure profit on from the first day after the drive is over. If you take shipping expenses pledges into account, wich will add to his costs, he might even loose CASH (emphasis on cash, he's not loosing because he's gaining a capital that is worth much more than the cash he's spending).

This is unless DStP is the last book to be reprinted and then, everything above 283.120, minus shipping expenses, would actually be profit. At least that's my take on it.
    OK, there were two issues in my post, and maybe I should've made them more distinct, since I think you mixed them.

On one hand, the "extra money" refers to any money raised in excess of $300k, which is unassigned. If the fundraiser manages to get to, say, $1M, and all he needs to print the books is $300k, what is he going to do with the excess $700k? My uninformed, not-at-all humble opinion is that he'll stash it for future projects.

On another hand, I wonder just how real that $300k figure is from Rich's perspective. At the very minimum, he'll only get 92% of the total amount, since Amazon and Kickstarter take cuts. And beyond that, 15% is over-pledged, and most of it likely due to extra books and shipping. Then there is the cost of the rewards themselves, which I eye-balled at 25% of the posted pledge amount. Add all that up, you get 50% cut, all in all. Which means that if we pledge $300k, Rich will only have $150k to do the actual printing.

But of course a lot of the pledge rewards are deferred rewards, in that Rich will just give away ~1000 newly printed books away for free, rather than have to pony up in advance, but that still comes out as a loss.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have passed the $300k mark! Come on down, Mr. Burlew. You have won a shiny new update explaining what Mytery prize # 3 is and what further plans you have for our rewards.
    Last edited by Sharoth; 2012-01-31 at 10:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Dwarf in the Playground

So...when all is said and done, this may be the biggest 24 hour jump in pledges yet.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. Eight hours have passed and we are nearly $40,000 up from that point.
    - The Flying Kipper

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Top Ten? This is just completed projects below:

1 $942,578 Design
    2 $938,771 Design
    3 $830,827 Technology
    4 $556,541 Technology
    5 $486,518 Design
    6 $369,569 Design
    7 $364,698 Design
    8 $345,992 Film
    9 $306,944 Design
    10 $301,850 OOTS

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I decided that there was no way to really measure how many extra had been added on, so I just went ahead and measured the number of limited rewards that involved signatures or drawings. Which is of course how I came up with the 404. And there's still one available.
    Last edited by CloakedDancer; 2012-01-31 at 11:03 AM.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sharoth View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have passed the $300k mark! Come on down, Mr. Burlew. You have won a shiny new update explaining what Mytery prize # 3 is and what further plans you have for our rewards.
    I fully expect Rich to declare us all insane, and build an asylum to contain us all. (A LA Douglas Adams)

Grey wolf has a good point. It may seem like a lot but when you factor in the cuts and the rewards, it's not that much. I do hope to see a reward of ALL seven books in print as a result for this.

One reason it may be climbing so high is that this is the best and cheapest way for the international community to acquire books. Buying the full set means much cheaper shipping and this is the first opportunity to buy a full set. (hopefully not the last) as they frequently went out of print.

We may get to the top ten of highest raised, and that too will draw eyes to rich, pushing it furthur and increasing traffic here and to OOKADOOK.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Wouldn't it just be hilarious if we hit the next goal after Mystery Prize #3 before the Giant has a chance to update?
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!