New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 136 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051525354555657587398 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star View Post
    Just make a second kickstarter account.
    I just may do that. Although I gave up my signed ornaments for my current pledge, that was in deference to my smoking credit card.

However, if commemorative OOTS swag was on the table? Well, I think I could manage a little bit more before it bursts into flames entirely!
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Double print runs!

The next lines on the graph (not counting mystery prizes) should be for double print runs of the books. The speed at which pledges are coming in makes me suspect that Rich is severely underestimating demand for the books. If he just does a full print run for the books, I expect most will sell out within a year and we'll quickly be back to the situation this pledge drive was meant to fix.

Doing a double print run should cost less than 2 single print runs, since you avoid setup costs. So he should seriously be considering double or even triple print runs.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Double print runs!

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    The next lines on the graph (not counting mystery prizes) should be for double print runs of the books. The speed at which pledges are coming in makes me suspect that Rich is severely underestimating demand for the books. If he just does a full print run for the books, I expect most will sell out within a year and we'll quickly be back to the situation this pledge drive was meant to fix.

Doing a double print run should cost less than 2 single print runs, since you avoid setup costs. So he should seriously be considering double or even triple print runs.
    I believe Rich has said that the number of copies turned out by a Full Print Run is actually the optimal point in terms of cost for number of books.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I believe Rich has said that the number of copies turned out by a Full Print Run is actually the optimal point in terms of cost for number of books.
    He also commented on Reddit recently that storage space is an issue when it comes to the books. Thus he can't print too many of them.

Still, if the drive keeps going up and up, I'm sure Rich will figure out something to do with the money.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-01 at 02:25 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    He also commented on Reddit recently that storage space is an issue when it comes to the books. Thus he can't print too many of them.

Still, if the drive keeps going up and up, I'm sure Rich will figure out something to do with the money.
    I'm sure he could. For example, he could do a run of the old magnets, the old ornaments, old con-exclusive T-shirts, a second limited-edition run of SS&DT, the possibilities are endless!

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Hmmm . . .
    <sound of rustling papers>
    Its around here somewhere . . . ah yes, here it is.
    A selection from the letters of one from the frontlines.

- Excert from letters sent home by Bogotter, former Mod Otter in the Playground
    Could you please maybe un-retire yourself, WampaX? Or at least hang around more? You're fun, and it's a nice change from the fun and complete lack of mind control. If you tantalize us with this kind of thing and then just go away, it might drive us kumquats.

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post
    a run of the old magnets, the old ornaments, old con-exclusive T-shirts, a second limited-edition run of SS&DT, the possibilities are endless!
    YES YES YES

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1417

DrowGirl

While he can't really print a lot more than what he thinks he can sell in a reasonable timeframe, it should be easy enough to save the money and then afford a full print run of whatever sells out. Even if he doesn't earn enough money from Kickstarter, there should be enough extra from the actual book sales to make up the difference.

Although, someone mentioning SSaDT earlier makes me wonder what might happen if he actually doesn't have enough copies left. I know he said he figures he has enough, but that was back when we were around the $100k level. Now that the total has shot up, I'm wondering just how many of them want the extra book.

Though admittedly, he could probably just shift the total from the "when they run out" reprints to SSaDT if that's the case, since he's pretty much forced to reprint it if he doesn't have enough to cover all the pledges...

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure he could. For example, he could do a run of the old magnets, the old ornaments, old con-exclusive T-shirts, a second limited-edition run of SS&DT, the possibilities are endless!
    There are problems with making something clearly stated as limited, "unlimited". For one it might make earlier buyers (who bought under the impression of it actually being limited) discontent. The second is that it undercuts any future "limited" objects since they'll obviously get reprinted/remade at the earlies convenient time.
    Much of the limited content we see now seem to be left-overs from the earlier limited runs (magnets, ornaments and SS&DT) so it doesn't really count, but a second run of them?

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

There's a limit to how much *new* stuff can be done, though...Rich is just one man, when all's said and done, and there's going to have to come a point where he says, "I'm going to have to stop adding rewards here because I'm simply not going to have time to do them all in a timescale that will keep my pledgers satisfied!". Reprinting SSaDT would alleviate that somewhat.

I do wonder how much of a market is going to be left for the books after this, though...surely most people who want a book will have got it as part of the drive?

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's a limit to how much *new* stuff can be done, though...Rich is just one man, when all's said and done, and there's going to have to come a point where he says, "I'm going to have to stop adding rewards here because I'm simply not going to have time to do them all in a timescale that will keep my pledgers satisfied!". Reprinting SSaDT would alleviate that somewhat.

I do wonder how much of a market is going to be left for the books after this, though...surely most people who want a book will have got it as part of the drive?
    There will always be people who discover the comic after this drive is over. This is for them more than anybody, I think.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly, but since we've gone into a loop, reprinting books that weren't sold out before the drive but might be after it, there is the question on how much he'd need to add since the obvious pledge-goals appear to become more and more limited in their number.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    There will always be people who discover the comic after this drive is over. This is for them more than anybody, I think.
    Personally, I'm so short of money right now I can only afford to pledge for the book that isn't (mostly) available online, OtOoPC (I already have SoD and SSaDT). However, I hope that at some point in the future I'll be able to grab the rest of the books. So the more are printed and the longer they're available is all the better for me. I'd kick myself if by the time I could spare the money, they were all sold out .

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

Well Rich, I hope this has taught you a valuable lesson.

That lesson is, of course, that you have many adoring fans who have deep pockets who want you to succeed, because you have the best damn (color) stick figure comic on all of The Tubes.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Well Rich, I hope this has taught you a valuable lesson.

That lesson is, of course, that you have many adoring fans who have deep pockets who want you to succeed, because you have the best damn (color) stick figure comic on all of The Tubes.
    And not just stick figure comic... any comic if you ask me.

15. - Top - End - #1425

With the added media attention people that would love the books but just don't know about them are now learning about them. What is really warming my heart is the fact that brick-n-mortar stores will now start carrying the full series of books again. I personally bought up the last of the books from my favorite shop. Now they will be able to replace those books and many more people will get a chance to discover what a really cool comic OotS really is.

16. - Top - End - #1426

PaladinGuy

If every current pledger increases their pledge by $1, we'll be in the top 10.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Banned

I wonder if the goals are with or without the ~8% that amazon + kickstarter take.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I wonder if the goals are with or without the ~8% that amazon + kickstarter take.
    It would be a bit pointless if they DIDN'T already take those into account, because Rich would have to turn round and say, "Sorry, I know I said it'd only take £X to do this, but we actually need £X x 1.08 because I forgot about Kickstarter's and Amazon's cut"...

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Cmon guys, less than 2K until we're in the all-time top 10...

20. - Top - End - #1430

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Cmon guys, less than 2K until we're in the all-time top 10...
    ... it's done already...

Also: WOOOOOT
    Nothing to see here, move along.

21. - Top - End - #1431

PaladinGuy

Cracked the Top 10 in 10 days. Awesome.

EDIT: Wikipedia's already been updated. Someone's been watching closely.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-01 at 09:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

We shall need a new thread soon, too... I guess it's Rich's honour?

As for milestones, we also just broke 5k backers. Cheers for us!
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-02-01 at 09:35 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    EDIT: Wikipedia's already been updated. Someone's been watching closely.
    They failed to alter the link however.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

24. - Top - End - #1434

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer t' Mighty View Post
    They failed to alter the link however.
    Fixed it

Though, what needs to be fixed now is that the project that got bumped down by OotS hasn't been moved into the 10th spot.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-01 at 09:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1435

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    Fixed it

Though, what needs to be fixed now is that the project that got bumped down by OotS hasn't been moved into the 10th spot.
    I don't think it makes much sense to keep updating the Wikipedia page real-time.

OTOH: I suppose we're 2k away from being the biggest art project in Kickstarter history...
    Nothing to see here, move along.

26. - Top - End - #1436

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    I don't think it makes much sense to keep updating the Wikipedia page real-time.
    I agree...all I did was fix the link. IMHO, the wiki probably should've been left unedited until the Kickstarter drive closed, but c'est la vie.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Don't forget the old buttons . . .
    go back and look through the news posts, I'll wait.
    8/7/2005
    Haley and Xykon are good examples . . . plus the blue scale 1ed cover shirt . . . those were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Could you please maybe un-retire yourself, WampaX? Or at least hang around more? You're fun, and it's a nice change from the fun and complete lack of mind control. If you tantalize us with this kind of thing and then just go away, it might drive us kumquats.
    Mmmmm . . . kumquats.
    Even perhaps bribed with a bushel, I would not un-retire. There is too much left to be done on the Lego minifig scale replica of Castle Ravenloft. Also, SWTOR. I can swoop around during work hours again, but its the "work" hours, not the "be a mod on message board" hours, I get paid for.

I am here for support of the Drive (Wooo! Go Drive! Woooo! <waves little drive pennant>) and to, apparently, pass on the heretofore unknown tale of the Rich Baker . . . as I find parts of it again.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-02-01 at 10:49 AM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Dwarf in the Playground

In 9th place now...
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Dwarf in the Playground

I get this feeling that maybe people are pledging just to inflate the record and are going to withdraw their pledges at the last minute...

After all, this process seems to be an 'on your honor' donation thing more than anything else...

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Orc in the Playground

I'm participating! woooo....

(Now with decorated avatar )
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.