New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 55 of 136 FirstFirst ... 53045464748495051525354555657585960616263646580105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1621
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Maniac View Post
    And now I've got an insatiable urge for a OotS chess set.
    You are not the only one Manga. I was thinking, the OotS version of this http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDcQ8gIwAA . Now what I was thinking is, he could do 4 set of pieces, OotS, Team Evil, Linear Guild, Sapphire Guard. And put them individually on the packages. I would buy them all though.

"May Roy find a True Ressurrect spell"

2. - Top - End - #1622
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    He could just print extra copies to cover for the drive (without saying) and then retract it from Ookoodook. Who'd really know?
    And it would at most be a white lie.
    The problem would be that it would be a very short print run, making it very expensive per copy.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

3. - Top - End - #1623
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Maniac View Post
    And now I've got an insatiable urge for a OotS chess set.
    I feel your pain.

On the printing front, I'm still rooting for a wall calendar.
    Last edited by honigmuffin; 2012-02-02 at 03:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1624
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually a chess set of OotS-characters is nothing i really want to see - most figures made from non-realistically drawn art are odd. I can't see figures made from the OotS having the appeal of the original drawn characters. And chess pieces like the ones in the OotS-game? not really...

The dice are a completely other thing *smile* Should Belkar be the d4 (as he's the smallest) or the d12 (as he is the only barbarian)?

5. - Top - End - #1625
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Who'd really know?
    Well, Rich would for one. And if he takes his whole "I gave my word" thing seriously, then he still wouldn't do it.

Moreover, there would be a notation in the book that this was a second printing. AFAIK printing companies don't "backdate" print notices (Read: Lie about what print run it is) just because one asks nicely.

ETA:::

At the risk of upsetting people about this, I would like to point out one little detail that is being overlooked slightly.

From what I recall, this book was supposed to only have enough copies to "last through the holiday season". For them to have nearly 2000 copies sitting around gathering dust might indeed show that demand for the product (outside of a hyped up atmosphere like this) wasn't in fact very great.

Which, if one recalls, was one of their initial concerns.

So Rich might very well have business reasons for sticking to his word as well (it ain't free to store these books, limits space for other books, et etc).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-02 at 03:43 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #1626
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't get hy the Snips debate is still going....Rich has been more than clear.
    When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt,
    Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Avatar designed by the talented Ceika

7. - Top - End - #1627
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArtosSwiftblade View Post
    I don't get hy the Snips debate is still going....Rich has been more than clear.
    He has also been clear on things like Belkar being evil, but as you can see Rich being clear about something is about the last thing to stop debate about it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #1628
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Well, Rich would for one. And if he takes his whole "I gave my word" thing seriously, then he still wouldn't do it.

Moreover, there would be a notation in the book that this was a second printing. AFAIK printing companies don't "backdate" print notices (Read: Lie about what print run it is) just because one asks nicely.

ETA:::

At the risk of upsetting people about this, I would like to point out one little detail that is being overlooked slightly.

From what I recall, this book was supposed to only have enough copies to "last through the holiday season". For them to have nearly 2000 copies sitting around gathering dust might indeed show that demand for the product (outside of a hyped up atmosphere like this) wasn't in fact very great.

Which, if one recalls, was one of their initial concerns.

So Rich might very well have business reasons for sticking to his word as well (it ain't free to store these books, limits space for other books, et etc).
    Well, I have no clue about what print companies do and don't do - but since it is a limited run I'd expect it wouldn't note 1'st edition on it.

9. - Top - End - #1629
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by YohanLeafheart View Post
    I know that power wise Redcloak should be the queen, but I find it a bit strange...
    Actually, power wise Xykon should be the queen. It even sort of makes sense with him being a lich and therefore his death not actually being a final victory unless his phylactery (which is with Redcloak) is destroyed too. Sooo... Redcloak as the king?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #1630
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, I have no clue about what print companies do and don't do - but since it is a limited run I'd expect it wouldn't note 1'st edition on it.
    It would still say Printed WhateverMonth 2012 instead of Printed WhateverMonth 2011 on the page that lists various techincal details.

Someone might notice.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-02 at 04:00 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #1631
    Troll in the Playground

First mention of the pledge drive I saw on Twitter, a retweet from Felicia Day from Laughing Squid.

The Order of the Stick, The Highest Funded Comic on Kickstarter http://dlvr.it/18npWY

Uh oh... It's going to get even crazier now. Felicia Day has close to 2 million followers...
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-02-02 at 04:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1632

DruidGuy

I've mentioned it on twitter as well. Sadly I'm 1,999,300 followers fewer than Felicia Day ;)

13. - Top - End - #1633
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtosSwiftblade View Post
    I understand Rich's concern. His heart is absolutely in the right place. But I just want to know:
    Is there a single person in this thread that would object to a second printing?

I know a bunch of you have already said you don't mind. That's fine, and I share your position. Nobody needs to reply in the negative. What I want to know is if one single person does object. Once one person posts "Yes, I do!" then nobody else needs to reply in the affirmative. (Not that this will really prevent anyone, but I'm trying to minimize the damage to this thread.)

(Also, I know that the absence of an objection is not the same as unanimous consent. Don't bother explaining that to me. I'm just trying to answer a simple question, not wrangle over the deeper meaning of that question, the lack of an answer, or anything else from the "meta" department.)
    Last edited by JustADecoy; 2012-02-02 at 04:26 PM. Reason: I have an answer. Please don't respond.

14. - Top - End - #1634
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JustADecoy View Post
    I understand Rich's concern. His heart is absolutely in the right place. But I just want to know:

I know a bunch of you have already said you don't mind. That's fine, and I share your position. Nobody needs to reply in the negative. What I want to know is if one single person does object. Once one person posts "Yes, I do!" then nobody else needs to reply in the affirmative. (Not that this will really prevent anyone, but I'm trying to minimize the damage to this thread.)

(Also, I know that the absence of an objection is not the same as unanimous consent. Don't bother explaining that to me. I'm just trying to answer a simple question, not wrangle over the deeper meaning of that question, the lack of an answer, or anything else from the "meta" department.)
    Someone over at the kickstarter page did indeed complain that he/she would be upset if Rich did this.

But please don't ask me to trawl through all the update post comments and the behemoth that is the main comment thread to find it.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-02 at 04:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1635
    Ettin in the Playground

What I will say is the following:

1. I was personally proud that I pre-ordered Snips and was one of the select people to get a chance to buy a copy. In fact, when I saw it was a limited print run I wanted it even more because it would make the special Dragon strips even more special and that endeared them to me more as a fan.

2. I respect Rich's decision not to want to reprint the trade and that he feels that it's a matter of his personal trust to his consumers and fans.

16. - Top - End - #1636
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think this is not so much about loyalty to the fans (like the whole thing with the limited gencon mangets), but, rather, the idea of reprinting book that has nothing to do with the story and is just some random stuff brought together, as a one-time thing. A print run of SSaDT is probably a lot smaller compared to other books, and the second one would be smaller still, which makes it not a very profitable idea, especially since, I imagine, this book is a lot less popular than the others.

17. - Top - End - #1637
    Troll in the Playground

Yes. I would object.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

18. - Top - End - #1638
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Sure, I'll object. Not on personal reasons, but just so Blisstake doesn't have to be alone.

19. - Top - End - #1639
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    One mistake I've noticed people making concerning the idea the Giant has for whatever Mystery Prize comes next: he said he is waiting on word from the "vendor" not the "printer".

Make sure that your wild speculations take the proper wording into account!
    Wrong, he says both. First vendor, then printer.

Edit: And for what its worth, I'd be slightly let down by a second run of SS&DT too. And I don't even own the book (yet).
    I respect people who stand by what they say.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-02-02 at 04:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1640
    Dwarf in the Playground

Guys, I just realised that if there ever was an OotS dice set, we'd either be one character (if you only count Roy, Haley, Elan, V, Durkon and Belkar) or one die (if you count Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy as well) short (assuming that one character = one die in a standard seven dice set). Hmm.

21. - Top - End - #1641

Ah......Why, yes, he does in fact. Aren't my cheeks red!
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

22. - Top - End - #1642
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Sure, I'll object. Not on personal reasons, but just so Blisstake doesn't have to be alone.
    Aww. I can entirely understand why people feel a reprint would be wrong. And I wonder why the issue is even raised considering Snips is still available; hardly suggesting a massive demand even with current 'limited edition' status...
    When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt,
    Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Avatar designed by the talented Ceika

23. - Top - End - #1643
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Ah......Why, yes, he does in fact. Aren't my cheeks red!
    Now speculate on what word that was a "slip of the tongue".

24. - Top - End - #1644
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Yes. I would object.
    As would I.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

25. - Top - End - #1645
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    Guys, I just realised that if there ever was an OotS dice set, we'd either be one character (if you only count Roy, Haley, Elan, V, Durkon and Belkar) or one die (if you count Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy as well) short (assuming that one character = one die in a standard seven dice set). Hmm.
    Blackwing and Scruffy on a single die. Or Belkar and Scruffy on a single die (another argument for Belkar on the d12 )

D4 - V, wizard's hit die
    D6 - Haley. Sneak attack die unless I'm mistaken.
    D8 - Durkon? Can't think of a reason why.
    D10 - Roy, d10 HD (as pointed out by Lord Ruby34 below)
    D12 - Belkar/Scruffy. Barbarian HD.
    D20 - Elan? Main character in a way, and highest charisma nets you most used die .
    D10 % - Blackwing. Since you often forget you have a % d10 until you need it.
    Last edited by Binks; 2012-02-02 at 04:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1646
    Ogre in the Playground

Roy's sword actually hits for 2d6. He has d10 hit die though.

27. - Top - End - #1647
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    First mention of the pledge drive I saw on Twitter, a retweet from Felicia Day from Laughing Squid.

The Order of the Stick, The Highest Funded Comic on Kickstarter http://dlvr.it/18npWY

Uh oh... It's going to get even crazier now. Felicia Day has close to 2 million followers...
    Felicia Day noticed it? Well now the drive will finally start going.

28. - Top - End - #1648
    Dwarf in the Playground

how'd it fly off the chart so soon?! again.
    ░Avatar altered from sensate's░

29. - Top - End - #1649
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Roy's sword actually hits for 2d6. He has d10 hit die though.
    And if i remember correctly (and if there have not been that big changes in the rules), Durkon should have d8 hit dice

30. - Top - End - #1650

Edit: And for what its worth, I'd be slightly let down by a second run of SS&DT too. And I don't even own the book (yet).
    I respect people who stand by what they say.
    Let's remember that a printer is not necesarily a BOOK printer.

We could be talking t-shirts, stickers, postcards...

Actually a postcard is not a bad idea.
    Nothing to see here, move along.