New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 58 of 136 FirstFirst ... 83348495051525354555657585960616263646566676883108 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1711
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by YohanLeafheart View Post
    Dammit, there isn't a ninja emoticon I can use. You saw through my ruse, that was a call for Wampa!
    Rick Burlew was never a threat, the benevolent half of the unholy union. It actually helped act as emissary between Rick and Rich to combat the Rich Baker. It turned out to be a coward and fled into the wilderness surrounding the Playground once the fighting began.

When the war was over, it seems to now continue the role of diplomat. In recent years, its begun to slack off. 4ed took its toll of people wanting to be guest writers. Its last coup was getting Rick Baker to write one final article before it once again faded into the wilderness. No one has seen it since.

So really, if you are waiting for Rick Burlew to update? That's going to be a long wait.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-02-02 at 11:33 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

2. - Top - End - #1712
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Rick Burlew was never a threat, the benevolent half of the unholy union. It actually helped act as emissary between Rick and Rich to combat the Rich Baker. It turned out to be a coward and fled into the wilderness surrounding the Playground once the fighting began.

When the war was over, it seems to now continue the role of diplomat. In recent years, its begun to slack off. 4ed took its toll of people wanting to be guest writers. Its last coup was getting Rick Baker to write one final article before it once again faded into the wilderness. No one has seen it since.

So really, if you are waiting for Rick Burlew to update? That's going to be a long wait.
    Personally I'm just waiting for the real Rich Burlew to update. I want to know what happens next in the graph story. And if we're going by HAST, it's still not too late for a late afternoon update.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

3. - Top - End - #1713
    Bugbear in the Playground

Update time! No new goal yet, but images of the stickers and pads.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

4. - Top - End - #1714
    Ettin in the Playground

There are some words next to each character sticker. Can't make them out though.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #1715
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm a little confused by his comment about another update "today", at about 6 PM if not earlier, but it's midnight, so 6 PM was a while ago...

Or does he mean "today" as in "Friday, since it's technically past midnight on the east coast"?

6. - Top - End - #1716
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sethala View Post
    I'm a little confused by his comment about another update "today", at about 6 PM if not earlier, but it's midnight, so 6 PM was a while ago...

Or does he mean "today" as in "Friday, since it's technically past midnight on the east coast"?
    You have it right there.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #1717
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    There are some words next to each character sticker. Can't make them out though.
    I can read "The Order of the Stick - ers!" and "Check it out!" but not the tiny ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #1718

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I think they're the characters names. As if we didn't know them. And what may be ™.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2012-02-03 at 01:28 AM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

9. - Top - End - #1719
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

damnit to the nine hecks. need that hp pad.
    >>< drow ><<

10. - Top - End - #1720
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkelf View Post
    damnit to the nine hecks. need that hp pad.
    Buying the poster would be the simplest way to procure it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

11. - Top - End - #1721
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JustADecoy View Post
    As far as I can tell from Kickstarter's 2011 Stats review, our 5,758 current backers exceed anything seen in 2011:

Just another milestone to celebrate. Congratulations everybody!
    Those stats indicate the most popular *rewards*, not the most popular projects...if you put our drive in there, its most popular reward would score a rather paltry 1408 (the $10 level).

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    And apparently the Wiki mods have decided to be spiteful and take the OoTS pledge off the top 10 and put it into a current drive section.
    It's hardly spiteful--given that the actual return from a Kickstarter drive is not guaranteed until it closes (people can drop out, lower their pledges etc) then it makes no sense putting drives that are still on-going into the "top ten of all time" section. If they'd just deleted it without creating that extra section, then *that* might have been spiteful!

12. - Top - End - #1722
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Those stats indicate the most popular *rewards*, not the most popular projects...if you put our drive in there, its most popular reward would score a rather paltry 1408 (the $10 level).
    You're absolutely correct. The numbers are not what I thought they were. Thanks for pointing that out.

We're currently 337 backers away from exceeding Cosmonaut's total backer count. Unfortunately, I have no idea if they're really the most popular project by raw backer count. Anyone have a better source for that info?

13. - Top - End - #1723

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Well, she has 1,883,140...

...You have negative 116,160 followers?
    Some days it feels that way ;)

I was just going by the 2 million that someone mentioned she had as followers.

14. - Top - End - #1724

PaladinGuy

Hrm. Getting curious about the Giant's next mystery prize. Especially given how much he insists we'll all like it. He's usually pretty accurate in that department.

15. - Top - End - #1725

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    Hrm. Getting curious about the Giant's next mystery prize. Especially given how much he insists we'll all like it. He's usually pretty accurate in that department.
    I'm even MORE excited becuase he usually underestimates hom much we love everything he does.

What he considered to be three prizes that were "not strong enough (...) at that level" got us all psyched.

So I can't wait to know what it is that even HE is actually psyched about!
    Nothing to see here, move along.

16. - Top - End - #1726

It's hardly spiteful--given that the actual return from a Kickstarter drive is not guaranteed until it closes (people can drop out, lower their pledges etc) then it makes no sense putting drives that are still on-going into the "top ten of all time" section. If they'd just deleted it without creating that extra section, then *that* might have been spiteful!
    And it wasn't the "Wikimedia mods" anyway. Some of the administrators are capable of spite, but this was an ordinary Wikipedia contributor who I suspect is an OOTS fan, given how few edits he/she has made.

17. - Top - End - #1727

Quote Originally Posted by JustADecoy View Post
    You're absolutely correct. The numbers are not what I thought they were. Thanks for pointing that out.

We're currently 337 backers away from exceeding Cosmonaut's total backer count. Unfortunately, I have no idea if they're really the most popular project by raw backer count. Anyone have a better source for that info?
    Checking the other most pledged for rewards of 2011 and the current top ten pledged from the wiki page, we're at best at position #4 in number of backers, behind TikTok (13.512) -the most funded project ever-, the ongoing Elevation Dock (currently sitting at 7.755) and The Cosmonaut (6.192). Pretty close to the top three, unless there are other projects I'm missing.

18. - Top - End - #1728

Quote Originally Posted by keldorn View Post
    And it wasn't the "Wikimedia mods" anyway. Some of the administrators are capable of spite, but this was an ordinary Wikipedia contributor who I suspect is an OOTS fan, given how few edits he/she has made.
    It makes sense to do it this way though. The page was being edited for amount pledged every 5 minutes. Wikipedia is not a news site.

19. - Top - End - #1729

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Checking the other most pledged for rewards of 2011 and the current top ten pledged from the wiki page, we're at best at position #4 in number of backers, behind TikTok (13.512) -the most funded project ever-, the ongoing Elevation Dock (currently sitting at 7.755) and The Cosmonaut (6.192). Pretty close to the top three, unless there are other projects I'm missing.
    There could be something hidden somewhere. After all, you only need $10K in donations to achieve 10K donors. I think the music or film and video sections may be particularly suspect. So far I have laboriously gone through all the art projects with over 10K income and ruled them out. There were three different Trojan Horse projects in there.

20. - Top - End - #1730

It makes sense to do it this way though. The page was being edited for amount pledged every 5 minutes. Wikipedia is not a news site.
    You aren't a Wikipedian are you. You seem to be referring to WP:NOTNEWS there.

The five minute updates of the OOTS total was not ideal. But it was the fact that the people couldn't be bothered to update the elevation dock figures at the same time which made it poor.

21. - Top - End - #1731

PaladinGuy

I agree. Once the drive is done, then it should be moved into the Top 10 based on its established position.

22. - Top - End - #1732

Quote Originally Posted by keldorn View Post
    You aren't a Wikipedian are you.
    Just a reader, have only edited minor things that I was very certain on once or twice.

You seem to be referring to WP:NOTNEWS there.
    If I was, I swear I didn't mean to :P

The five minute updates of the OOTS total was not ideal. But it was the fact that the people couldn't be bothered to update the elevation dock figures at the same time which made it poor.
    Does it really make sense to update a Wikipedia page every 5 minutes or so?

It'd be like updating the result of a football match real time, it doesn't make much sense to me...

23. - Top - End - #1733
    Dwarf in the Playground

It looks like new copies of SS&DT have been added to the $35 pledge level! Which is great, because now I can get that pledge level for a friend; it's the only book she's missing and I am really--like in an unhealthily gleeful way-- looking forward to telling her nothing and merely sending her a mystery package that, when she opens it, will spill forth all the OOTS goodies thus far.

24. - Top - End - #1734
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ella ventic View Post
    It looks like new copies of SS&DT have been added to the $35 pledge level! Which is great, because now I can get that pledge level for a friend; it's the only book she's missing and I am really--like in an unhealthily gleeful way-- looking forward to telling her nothing and merely sending her a mystery package that, when she opens it, will spill forth all the OOTS goodies thus far.
    While that does amusing, maybe you should first quietly enquire to see if she has already taken matters into her own hands and pledged to get it too.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #1735
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, she doesn't have access to a regular internet connection so I'm assuming I'm good. :) Though I have been wondering whether the surprise of the gift is enough to compensate for not telling her about all the fun we've been having here! (But once again, no internet connection means that she couldn't participate or even follow along... so surely the gift is better?)

26. - Top - End - #1736
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I wish I had friends as awesome as ella

27. - Top - End - #1737
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok, we're above 420k now - and only a few backers below 6k - this is totally insane - and totally awesome...

28. - Top - End - #1738
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

A hint of what's coming from Rich in the update comments:

I'll likely add a x5 prize pack sometime soon, probably after the next goal is announced and nigh-immediately surpassed. It would let you get five each of the stickers, notepads, magnets, and the next thing that's coming. So just keep an eye out for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

29. - Top - End - #1739

Does it really make sense to update a Wikipedia page every 5 minutes or so?

It'd be like updating the result of a football match real time, it doesn't make much sense to me...
    You're right that it doesn't make sense but Wikipedia suffers from bouts of behaviour like this. The day Michael Jackson died was an extreme example.

30. - Top - End - #1740
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow! We're coming up fast on 6000 backers!