New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 68 of 136 FirstFirst ... 184358596061626364656667686970717273747576777893118 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #2011
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-02-07 at 12:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2012
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemage View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    He will, if he gets the money. But these numbers should sober us up. There was speculation that a "full print run" was something like 100k books. It turns out it is closer to 10k, if not 5k. And even that few takes a $50k+ up-front investment per book. Rich could sell more, I'm sure, but he'd need a lot of money first. Which we are giving him, but there is a lot of books to reprint.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-02-07 at 12:37 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #2013
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    He will, if he gets the money. But these numbers should sober us up. There was speculation that a "full print run" was something like 100k books. It turns out it is closer to 10k, if not 5k. And even that few takes a $50k+ up-front investment per book. Rich could sell more, I'm sure, but he'd need a lot of money first. Which we are giving him, but there is a lot of books to reprint.

Grey Wolf
    People thought full-size was 100k books? How?

I thought we learned from the Snips pre-order thread that the Giant's full-size runs go a little into the 5 figure mark.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #2014
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    People thought full-size was 100k books? How?
    Never underestimate the power of ignorance-of-the-facts speculation, that's my motto. 100k was the top range, though. 10k to 50k sounded more reasonable at the time, and even that turns out was too optimistic.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #2015
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Never underestimate the power of ignorance-of-the-facts speculation, that's my motto. 100k was the top range, though. 10k to 50k sounded more reasonable at the time, and even that turns out was too optimistic.

GW
    True enough.

I also imagine that since these are all reprints rather than an initial run, full-size is a good bit smaller than if this were, say, book 5.

This might also encourage a larger initial run for book 5 by showing how many people are actually wanting to buy the books.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #2016
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDJ View Post
    Rich is going to run into a new problem on Kickstarter very soon now. If you haven't noticed, each reward level must have its own dollar amount - no duplicates. And you can see where it looks like he wanted to do something the same as something else, but shifted it off by one or two dollars.
    Actually i have seen more than one project at kickstarter with two or more pledge rewards at the same level. For example there is a game where you can have 1 game and a t-shirt for 30$ (US), or 2 games for 30$ (US), or 1 game for 30$ (international).

So i think the Giant is doing this more for better overview.

7. - Top - End - #2017
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There is now an interview with Rich on Comics Alliance about the Kickstarter drive.

After reading it, I have the following to say:

: Tempt, tempt, tempt Rich to set a "Buy Rich a Cintiq" goal.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-07 at 03:42 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #2018
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    There is now an interview with Rich on Comics Alliance about the Kickstarter drive.

After reading it, I have the following to say:

: Tempt, tempt, tempt Rich to set a "Buy Rich a Cintiq" goal.
    Please. The most expensive of those I found on google shopping was under $3000. That's not even a speed bump for this thing.

9. - Top - End - #2019
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Here's a suggestion for a joke Mystery Prize if we, say, get close to $1'000'000: Revealing Vaarsuvius' gender by the end of the year.

10. - Top - End - #2020
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Just threw in my own pledge. I want a copy of the first print book.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

11. - Top - End - #2021
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Here's a suggestion for a joke Mystery Prize if we, say, get close to $1'000'000: Revealing Vaarsuvius' gender by the end of the year.
    Remember, that's an in-comic year, not a real year V-fans!

12. - Top - End - #2022
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, should I add $55 to my pledge to get the swag pack 2 or should I experiment with a second Kickstarter account so Rich has a better idea of inventory numbers?

13. - Top - End - #2023
    Ogre in the Playground

Update! And Mystery Prize #4 is...

Spoiler
    Show
    Haleo and Julelan, a new StickTales story!

This will be the final PDF story, so I'm interested to see what Myster Prize #5 is...
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

14. - Top - End - #2024
    Orc in the Playground

One more pdf comic, exxxcellent... And it will have Tarquin in it
    Last edited by Zordrath; 2012-02-07 at 05:28 PM.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

15. - Top - End - #2025
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm honestly shocked there was another PDF.

Really hope Rich paces himself on these bonuses.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #2026
    Titan in the Playground

Halyeo & Julean

Excellent.

That is all.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #2027
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fall_ark View Post
    Am I right that the cheapest available option that includes Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is the $67 one that has three books? :( I just need that one book....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Snips isn't being reprinted, so it's technically the most scarce book atm. So unlike the others it can't be given an open pledge. Technically the cheapest one is the $24 pledge, since you can add a single book to that for $30, for a total of $54. Or the $25 one if you prefer the poster to two colouring books.

You could message Rich through Kickstarter to see if you can add a single copy by pledging $10 & then actually donating $40 (based on +$30/book)?
    I'd be careful about assuming you can just "add" SS&DT to any order. Usually when he says you can add something:

1) He lists what you can choose from. The reference to a $30 book add has so far meant one of the main books (1-4).

2) He lets you add for $30 because there is already sufficient postage built into the initial pledge/reward level. Just trying to add $30 to a $10 magnet pledge isn't going to be enough.

In general, given that the book is in limited supply, I would also guess that any that are "added" (instead of directly secured by a reward selection) could be the first to be cut from orders if he runs out? Just a guess on that one, though.

18. - Top - End - #2028
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The funniest part about Haleo & Julelan is the gender reversal. I guess Haley really has always worn the pants in that relationship, if Elan's qualification for a hostage-based prestige class is any indication.

19. - Top - End - #2029
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hooray for new rewards! Excited to see us hit that 1000% funded mark. Can't wait for the party once that happens...
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

20. - Top - End - #2030
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now we're up to something like 100 pages of PDF's.

Please please please compile them into a book! They could still go out as PDF's to everyone who pledged $10 or more, but you could surely use some of the kickstarter money to print them up into a snips & snails #2 (or whatever) along with the kickstarter story and graphs etc, and I know that a TON of us would buy it even though we'll already have them as PDF's and already pledged money to the kickstarter.

I loves my OOTS, but I like having it in book form. Seriously, I would pay for this and I'm 100% positive that loads of others would too!

21. - Top - End - #2031
    Ettin in the Playground

Woot! I wonder who's who?

Mercutio - Roy (or Belkar?)
    Benvolio - V
    Friar Laurence - Durkon
    Tybalt - Crystal or one of the airborne tramps
    Paris - Therkla?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #2032
    Halfling in the Playground

Love it! "The fair and delicate Julelan" and "the roguish House of Starshine". I can't wait to read this one!
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #2033
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And yeah, Aquaman is a badass. The Superfriends cartoon is a stain on his legacy that shall never be erased.

24. - Top - End - #2034
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMaster View Post
    Now we're up to something like 100 pages of PDF's.

Please please please compile them into a book! They could still go out as PDF's to everyone who pledged $10 or more, but you could surely use some of the kickstarter money to print them up into a snips & snails #2 (or whatever) along with the kickstarter story and graphs etc, and I know that a TON of us would buy it even though we'll already have them as PDF's and already pledged money to the kickstarter.

I loves my OOTS, but I like having it in book form. Seriously, I would pay for this and I'm 100% positive that loads of others would too!
    I think the smart thing to do right now would be to focus on the immense workload ahead. I'm seriously amazed Rich decided to put out another pdf. Together with all the other rewards as well as managing the entire kickstarter thing and upcoming printings... That's a lot of stuff to take care of.

After that, maybe he can put out another book similar to SSaDT conatining all the bonus kickstarter pdfs plus some other random stuff he might have ideas for? Who knows. Either way, I'm very excited about the coming months.

25. - Top - End - #2035
    Ettin in the Playground

So...what is the amount needed for the "Buy Rich a Cintaq" goal?

26. - Top - End - #2036
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    So...what is the amount needed for the "Buy Rich a Cintaq" goal?
    From the interview, "What I really want to avoid is the temptation to make the next goal, "Buy Rich a Cintaq" or something. I want to keep the goals focused on either creating more products or rewarding the backers."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...r-order-stocl/

27. - Top - End - #2037
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haleo and Julelan - that's a great idea! Especially since their fathers really do hate each other.

(Well, Ian hates Tarquin. Tarquin probably doesn't care enough about Ian to hate him.)

28. - Top - End - #2038
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, are we at eight PDFs now?

29. - Top - End - #2039
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    So, are we at eight PDFs now?
    Yep.

1) How the Paladin Got His Scar
    2-4) 3 stories about characters chosen by people who pledged $1250
    5) Julio Scoundrél comic
    6) Dim Sun
    7) Sir Francois and the Dragon (featuring his herald, Elan!)
    8) Haleo and Julelan - A Classic Romance Ruined
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-07 at 07:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #2040
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You know, I wonder how much of what we've raised will go to Rich as profit. He said most of it is going to reprinting and stickers and such. Still, I can't imagine all 500,000 is devoured, leaving none for Rich.