New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 69 of 136 FirstFirst ... 194459606162636465666768697071727374757677787994119 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #2041
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Endon the White View Post
    You know, I wonder how much of what we've raised will go to Rich as profit. He said most of it is going to reprinting and stickers and such. Still, I can't imagine all 500,000 is devoured, leaving none for Rich.
    From the last update:

Mind you, before anyone thinks I'm buying a yacht with it or something, my best estimate is that around $200,000 of that is going strictly to the postage for shipping out the rewards! The rest is going to the print runs, the cost of the bonus prizes like the stickers and such, and other miscellaneous expenses. My income will largely be off of the sales of the books once they're reprinted and back on store shelves, which should trickle in over the course of the year. Still, it's an incredibly positive sign for the health of the comic and its readership, and I couldn't be happier that we've managed to get the books into so many people's hands with this pledge drive.
    People, we have two weeks to raise money for Rich's yacht.
    No, I don't think he'd go for that.
    Last edited by ORione; 2012-02-07 at 07:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2042
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

>Step 1: Shatter every single goal the Giant gives us
    >Step 2: Wait 23 hours for him to give us the new goal.
    >Step 3: Repeat.

3. - Top - End - #2043
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    People, we have two weeks to raise money for Rich's yacht.
    No, I don't think he'd go for that.
    He can dock it alongside Hinjo's junk.

4. - Top - End - #2044
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Who149 View Post
    More:

>Step 2.5: Find out that the original goal he was going to give us was shattered before he could give an update, forcing him to make a new one.

5. - Top - End - #2045
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder what the cast of Haleo and Juelan would be.
    Lord Hinjo will be the Prince Escalus
    Tarquin will be Juelan's dad
    Ian Starshine will be Haleo's dad
    Kubota as Tybalt
    Elan as Juelan
    Haley as Haleo
    Grim Reaper
    and 40,000 men and women.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #2046
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

OotS Legion! Fellow US-based adult nerd-types, I put in a suggestion that NPR do a story on Rich's phenomenal Kickstarter! Write in as well and join me in suggesting that the nation hear about a webcomic's fanbase rallying behind its humble author!

http://help.npr.org/npr/includes/cus...tus.aspx?sid=1

7. - Top - End - #2047
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm a little dubious about the $200,000 for shipping though. There are presently just over 7000 backers, that would mean nearly $30 postage to each and every backer, which seems unlikely.

(So hopefully that number is on the high side and there's more left over for Rich, is what I'm saying...)

8. - Top - End - #2048
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMaster View Post
    I'm a little dubious about the $200,000 for shipping though. There are presently just over 7000 backers, that would mean nearly $30 postage to each and every backer, which seems unlikely.

(So hopefully that number is on the high side and there's more left over for Rich, is what I'm saying...)
    Factor in the 700+ books that have to be shipped to Rich to be signed before being shipped out, and it seems more reasonable.

9. - Top - End - #2049
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Endon the White View Post
    You know, I wonder how much of what we've raised will go to Rich as profit. He said most of it is going to reprinting and stickers and such. Still, I can't imagine all 500,000 is devoured, leaving none for Rich.
    I actually hope that he is budgeting in an awesome bonus for himself, though that seems not to be the case. I would be thrilled for him to walk away from this with plenty in the bank to pad his retirement account, or give him basically a multi-year bonus on whatever he normally makes. Seriously, I think the big guy has more than deserved it.

10. - Top - End - #2050
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

each multiple-book international order is probably going to eat away pretty fast at that. i'm in the US, but if i was international i'd see this as a GREAT chance to get all the books at once without additional shipping hassles.

As for where Rich will make his money, the answer is in having the books all back in stock AFTER the drive is over and (i think) back in comic stores (where new fans may find them!) as well!

On a more-fun note, Rich's inclusion on the 8x10 prints reminded me of the original 24x36 posters... so i went and bought both and had them framed. they are AMAZING, i just dont know where to put them.

11. - Top - End - #2051

Apparently Rich is a fan of Aquaman. I gotta say, I approve of his superhero tastes.

Also, we get a Romeo and Juliet StickTale. Huh. I'm excited, but somehow also slightly disappointed. I hated that play. Loved Hamlet, but not this one. Fortunately I know the characters will manage to ruin the story as they try to tell it, so it'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

12. - Top - End - #2052
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question about fundraiser shwag

Thanks, Dr. Gamera! I hadn't scrolled down that far because the price tag looked steep, but on actually comparing it to the straight price of the books plus shipping, it comes out a little cheaper. Done.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #2053
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bluewurm View Post
    On a more-fun note, Rich's inclusion on the 8x10 prints reminded me of the original 24x36 posters... so i went and bought both and had them framed. they are AMAZING, i just dont know where to put them.
    Yeah, I've been wavering on those for months. They look great, but I don't have enough wall space anywhere where my wife would let me put them up (it's not really living room material).

Looking forward to the 8x10 version via the kickstarter though.

14. - Top - End - #2054
    Pixie in the Playground

Usually Rich has to shell out for printing the books, so his profit is selling cost-printing cost. With this drive, Rich will basically make the full selling cost as profit on each book (that isn't part of the rewards, where he probably gets closer to his normal rate). So this drive should help him out a bit (and I think he certainly deserves it). I think this would be a great way to fund the printing of future books too so he doesn't need to try to make-back his printing costs each time. I'm sure there would be overwhelming support for a 'fund a new book' drive in the future.

I just wish he'd offer 'pdfs as a printed book' as a reward this time around. Still, with the mess that SSaDT was, I can understand why he wouldn't want to offer a reward (likely to thousands of people), for a book that may be nearly a year in the making. Maybe he could just set a reward for creating the book without offering it as a reward so he doesn't have to listen to all the whining, though that probably wouldn't be quite as popular.

I'd also like the adventure game as a reward so I could justify contributing more to this drive.

15. - Top - End - #2055
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Oh boy, I hope the new Haleo and Julelan features general Tarquin.

16. - Top - End - #2056
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    I wonder what will it be like if Kubota have to play Tybalt (Juelan's suitor). Heck, Hinjo could be Prince escalus.
    Edit: Or Therkalt.
    P.S- Will there be blue oyster cult (reference to Don't fear the reaper)?
    Last edited by t209; 2012-02-07 at 11:16 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #2057

Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    Considering we're explicitly told about the House of Tarquin and the House of Starshine, I think it's safe to say Tarquin will appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

18. - Top - End - #2058
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by AxesOfEvil View Post
    Usually Rich has to shell out for printing the books, so his profit is selling cost-printing cost. With this drive, Rich will basically make the full selling cost as profit on each book (that isn't part of the rewards, where he probably gets closer to his normal rate). So this drive should help him out a bit (and I think he certainly deserves it). I think this would be a great way to fund the printing of future books too so he doesn't need to try to make-back his printing costs each time. I'm sure there would be overwhelming support for a 'fund a new book' drive in the future.

I just wish he'd offer 'pdfs as a printed book' as a reward this time around. Still, with the mess that SSaDT was, I can understand why he wouldn't want to offer a reward (likely to thousands of people), for a book that may be nearly a year in the making. Maybe he could just set a reward for creating the book without offering it as a reward so he doesn't have to listen to all the whining, though that probably wouldn't be quite as popular.

I'd also like the adventure game as a reward so I could justify contributing more to this drive.
    Unfortunately he can't as, has been stated many times, he has no way of knowing exactly how much it would cost. I don't think printers are going to give him a quote until he can at least tell them how many pages it will have.

And since none of these stories have been written yet, we have only estimates of how long they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I wonder what will it be like if Kubota have to play Tybalt (Juelan's suitor). Heck, Hinjo could be Prince escalus.
    Edit: Or Therkalt.
    P.S- Will there be blue oyster cult (reference to Don't fear the reaper)?
    Thank you. I'm now having visions of Kubota as 'Kubalt'. (Cobalt)
    Last edited by CDP; 2012-02-07 at 11:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #2059
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post
    Unfortunately he can't as, has been stated many times, he has no way of knowing exactly how much it would cost. I don't think printers are going to give him a quote until he can at least tell them how many pages it will have.
    While he clearly can't offer Book K as a pledge incentive now, I'd be thrilled if one of the goal lines were to be something like: "At some undetermined point in the future, Book K will see print." So nothing tangible for this drive, but rather a promise for the future. And just to be clear, I'm not talking about people paying in advance for them, either; in this nice little fever-dream of mine, even pledgers for this drive would have to buy them at full price later. It is merely the existence of such a thing that we would be ensuring now. I would be thrilled to donate to that cause. (Erm, leaving aside the fact that I'm thrilled to donate anyway. Whatever. )

20. - Top - End - #2060
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post

And since none of these stories have been written yet, we have only estimates of how long they will be.
    He's already said he's done with adding new comic content, so I'd guess he can estimate the number of pages (and thus costs) reasonably. Estimating high doesn't hurt anything, he will have enough to ensure he can print it, and it either comes out cheaper, or he can pad the book with whatever he likes. Personally, I prefer my explanation of not wanting folks whining for a year about not getting their reward.

21. - Top - End - #2061
    Troll in the Playground

I theenk eet was joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #2062
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Don't forget that international shipping is an absolute monster.

I work at a bookstore that does a lot of mail orders, and it's not uncommon for postage to canada to get into the $30 dollar range, and if you try to do it UPS it gets closer to 70-90 for shipping. That's just canada, never mind how many other countries this is going to. And that's for the smaller boxes. Just wait til you get to the size of box you'll need to put in 7 OOTS books, plus coloring books, plus everything else that might be in your order.

Shipping is going to be a LOT at any rate.
    Last edited by Advance Strat..; 2012-02-08 at 12:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #2063
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    Shipping is going to be a LOT at any rate.
    Yep $37 is a steal for Int'l shipping of a box of books, especially to Asia and Australia.

24. - Top - End - #2064
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I theenk eet was joke.
    Not a joke, apparently.

From the comments to Update #15

Rich Burlew about 1 hour ago
    @Everyone talking about average shipping rates: Shipping a box with three or more books in it costs $49 to any country outside of North America, $37 more than it costs to ship within the USA ($12). Right now, about half of all orders are coming from other countries. So yes, an average of, say, $28 a customer sounds like just about exactly like what it will cost. Keep in mind that these costs were entirely expected and even built into the pledge structure; if I had cheaper shipping options that I trusted, I would have charged customers less and then I would have raised less. So no money is really coming out of my pocket. I use the USPS Priority Mail because it allows me to track packages; long-time fans will remember the day I announced that the bulk shipper I tried using for the very first book lost a few hundred international orders into thin air. I'll never use a service like that again.
    Bolded for emphasis.

Considering the tremendous bargain people internationally are getting if they end up ordering the whole set (or indeed anything that normally would incure tremendous shipping fees on multiple shipments) I'm not that surprised when I stop to think about it.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #2065
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by bluewurm View Post
    As for where Rich will make his money, the answer is in having the books all back in stock AFTER the drive is over and (i think) back in comic stores (where new fans may find them!) as well!
    Only worry I have there is that everybody who wants a book may get it as part of the drive, leaving nobody to actually buy the restocked books in stores! I hope I'm wrong in that, and I assume Rich has taken that into consideration when he started the drive...

26. - Top - End - #2066
    Ogre in the Playground

Less than $1500 before we supersize this.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

27. - Top - End - #2067

I have little doubt we'll eventually see all this bonus content in print, but it won't happen for some time. It's going to take months just to write it all, and when the time comes I don't think Rich is just going to stick all the PDFs together and call it a day; he'll want to come up with more bonus stuff for the book. He's also got bonus content for Book 5 to write. The same reasoning for Book 5 applies to any bonus book: Rich doesn't want to take money for a goal for which he has no firm details, especially about when it will come out.

Incidentally, in honour of the spectacularly successful fundraiser, my proposed title is, "A Fist Full of GP".

In other news, the graph seems to be fairly closely following a quadratic curve (minus a couple of outliers around $250k). If it continues to follow the curve, it will finish at around $770k, give or take $10k, let's say.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2012-02-08 at 05:32 AM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

28. - Top - End - #2068
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Not a joke, apparently.

From the comments to Update #15

Considering the tremendous bargain people internationally are getting if they end up ordering the whole set (or indeed anything that normally would incure tremendous shipping fees on multiple shipments) I'm not that surprised when I stop to think about it.

Holy hand grenade of Antioch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #2069
    Ogre in the Playground

It works in reverse though: I was in a US-centric Secret Santa one time, and I bought around £50 of stuff for them. It cost me another £50 to send it to them (in Seattle) at a decent speed.

These days, I usually order direct from Amazon or such. Transoceanic postage is a metaphorical goldmine.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #2070

DING! One Super-size combo, coming up!
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club