New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 70 of 136 FirstFirst ... 204560616263646566676869707172737475767778798095120 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #2071
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

@book K, 5 etc:
    I think that now we can already speculate about NEXT kickstarter Rich will do - maybe when book5 is ready (end of the year?) + maybe when he will have some material for next prequel . . . after all this pdf madness he can finish book5 storyline (not much left anyway I guess) and do some extra stuff for prequels (and by that time it won't be that spoileroid) in say a year. And he certainly is thrilled about this drive too, in interview he mentioned a few internal goals to sort of pay us back (speeding up the writing maybe?). So he might have done it in that time. Only concern is if the "speeeed" might affect quality, but considering he was always saying how pace that he's making comic at depends on his mood, I'd say he's gonna write a lot faster this year and it's going to be awesome :D

So tl;dr: next year there very likely might be next kickstarter, say for book5 + maybe another prequel. And if it gets even close to madness of this one, I think Rich will have easy Mystery prize ready - PDF K into Book K.

And that's way more realistic than any way of including (printing of) book K in rewards for this kickstarter.

p.s. I hope it's understandable, english is not my primary language ^^
    Last edited by Tev; 2012-02-08 at 09:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2072
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by AxesOfEvil View Post
    He's already said he's done with adding new comic content, so I'd guess he can estimate the number of pages (and thus costs) reasonably. Estimating high doesn't hurt anything, he will have enough to ensure he can print it, and it either comes out cheaper, or he can pad the book with whatever he likes. Personally, I prefer my explanation of not wanting folks whining for a year about not getting their reward.
    Estimating high COULD hurt something, because of the peculiarities of the printing business. There are points where X number of pages is actually more expensive than X+1 because of the way paper is priced. Of course, it's not ACTUALLY X+1 (more like X+8 or X+16 or X+32) because printing presses don't print just one page at a time. I doubt these books are being printed on sheet fed-presses because that would be just ridiculously expensive compared to a web press (they use giant rolls of paper and print 8 pages at a time called a "signature).

So, if he estimates for a 64 page book and only comes out with 54 pages, he could run into a situation where he can add 2 more pages for an even signature (a 32-page, +a 16-page, +an 8-page signature = a 56 page book), but the cost is high than if he actually added 10 more pages.*

Scrambling to add extra content like that isn't a trivial matter, especially when you're already at your print deadline and the printer calls you up and says "Yeah, you need another 2 pages"**.

Basically, it's not like running down to your copy shop and having them print and bind a term paper. Printing is a very persnickety, volatile, costly business (working with printers is part of my job).

*Actually page counts and price points may vary based on printer, paper prices and other commodities that constantly fluctuate in price.

** I'm sure Rich is experienced enough now to NOT send files to the printer that do not already have the correct number of pages for the signatures, it's just an example
    JediSoth
    Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, Gamer, Foodie
    Doctor StrangeRoll or How I learned to stop worrying and love all D&D

"The quality of our legacy is measured in the lives we touch."

3. - Top - End - #2073
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Okay, should I add $55 to my pledge to get the swag pack 2 or should I experiment with a second Kickstarter account so Rich has a better idea of inventory numbers?
    Still waiting for opinions and thoughts on this question.

4. - Top - End - #2074
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Endon the White View Post
    You know, I wonder how much of what we've raised will go to Rich as profit. He said most of it is going to reprinting and stickers and such. Still, I can't imagine all 500,000 is devoured, leaving none for Rich.
    I haven't compared directly, but isn't the reward level for one book greater than the retail cost of the book + shipping? Or at least equal to it?

Since every book sold elsewhere (online, bookstores, etc) yields some profit for Rich, then every book given as a reward will also have some net profit for Rich. I figure he will at least do ... OK.
    Last edited by SteveDJ; 2012-02-08 at 10:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #2075
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    So...what is the amount needed for the "Buy Rich a Cintaq" goal?
    From the interview, "What I really want to avoid is the temptation to make the next goal, "Buy Rich a Cintaq" or something. I want to keep the goals focused on either creating more products or rewarding the backers."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...r-order-stocl/
    I thought there was an earlier comment that a Cintaq only cost, maybe $3000, so a goal would be too small.

But let's look at it this way -- the top reward pledge of $5000 only gets ... a little bit of Rich's time. No books/products/shipping. (Well, ok, maybe the freebie stuff, but that's nothing compared to $5K).

And there are other pledge reward levels similar in that they just cost a bit of his time.

I would say, if he wants one, he's already got a Cintaq coming!

6. - Top - End - #2076
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDJ View Post
    I haven't compared directly, but isn't the reward level for one book greater than the retail cost of the book + shipping? Or at least equal to it?
    And that amount pays for printing more than that one copy of the book. The whole reason for the Kickstarter after all. This isn't a preorder the book for the cost of the book, this is raise money to put the books back into print so they can be sold in gaming shops and comic stores again, reaching a wider audience.

So, no Rich is not seeing any profit. He is raising capital to get a stock of material that he will be able to sell to fund the next print job and have a small bit of profit.

Each reward level needs to pay for:
    The cost of the rewards, quite staggering by itself.
    The shipping of the rewards
    The printing of at least 3 other books to be sold in stores.
    Amazon's cut
    Kickstarter's cut
    Various fees on capital funds

Frankly, I fear that Rich is underselling, especially considering international orders, and Kickstarters and Amazon's cuts (10%+ fees)
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-08 at 11:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #2077
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    Apparently Rich is a fan of Aquaman. I gotta say, I approve of his superhero tastes.

Also, we get a Romeo and Juliet StickTale. Huh. I'm excited, but somehow also slightly disappointed. I hated that play. Loved Hamlet, but not this one. Fortunately I know the characters will manage to ruin the story as they try to tell it, so it'll be fun.
    I'd have loved to see King Lear, my favorite of the Shakespeares, but I don't think it's as accessible. On the other hand, everyone's read/seen/heard Romeo and Juliet, so I understand why it was the first choice.

I'm in agreement though. I'm looking forward to watching Haley and Elan tastefully destroy the classic
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-08 at 11:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #2078
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    I'd have loved to see King Lear, my favorite of the Shakespeares, but I don't think it's as accessible. On the other hand, everyone's read/seen/heard Romeo and Juliet, so I understand why it was the first choice.

I'm in agreement though. I'm looking forward to watching Haley and Elan tastefully destroy the classic
    I think I'd most like to see Titus Andronicus and Macbeth done as Stick Tales adaptations of Shakespeare next. So much potential for ridiculosity. Lear has that too, but of a different sort.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #2079
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, King Lear is great. A StickTales version, I don't know--can you imagine V in a beard, ranting as Lear, with Belkar as the fool?

notsurewhethergreatorawful.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Titus Andronicus...done as Stick Tales
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #2080
    Ettin in the Playground

I've always taken Titus as unintentional comedy. Plenty of room to make it work. I mean, think about it. Tarquin Andronicus, and Not-Quite-Wife-#10 as Tamora, Haley can resume cryptograms as Halinia...

It seems reasonably possible.

Make Lavinia a daughter by marriage to Lucius (played by Elan) and have Elan second guessing his father's methods...

Also, a Stick Tale as told by Tarquin would be awesome and it's hard to see him telling anything different - it fits him too well.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-02-08 at 11:48 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #2081
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I think I'd most like to see Titus Andronicus and Macbeth done as Stick Tales adaptations of Shakespeare next. So much potential for ridiculosity. Lear has that too, but of a different sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Yeah, King Lear is great. A StickTales version, I don't know--can you imagine V in a beard, ranting as Lear, with Belkar as the fool?

notsurewhethergreatorawful.jpg
    Agreed on all counts. Lear would be hard to do well. It's one of Shakespeare's more complex works. On the other hand, if I had to pick someone to try and make it work, I'd have no problem nominating the Giant.

12. - Top - End - #2082
    Halfling in the Playground

Wait, I'm still getting the PDFs aren't I?

I donated $10, and from what I've read so far it seems to indicate I would get them, but the latest update said that people who have pledged OVER $10 will be getting the PDFs.

13. - Top - End - #2083
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

For some reason when you said 'destroy the classic', I had this flash of memory from oh, so long ago, watching the muppets on Sesame Street destroying classic nursery rhymes. And now I'm wondering if the muppets did a take on Romeo and Juliet (Muppet Show series, maybe?)

14. - Top - End - #2084
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxious Hydra View Post
    Wait, I'm still getting the PDFs aren't I?

I donated $10, and from what I've read so far it seems to indicate I would get them, but the latest update said that people who have pledged OVER $10 will be getting the PDFs.
    Yes, yes you are. The prior updates have been quite clear on this point. And since he said that everyone who is already getting a PDF is getting this one....
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #2085

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Yes, yes you are. The prior updates have been quite clear on this point. And since he said that everyone who is already getting a PDF is getting this one....
    Woo, thank god.
    I was worried there.

16. - Top - End - #2086

I finally gave in and upgraded to the $222 complete story pledge. 7 books of OotS goodness, here I come!

17. - Top - End - #2087

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    Don't forget that international shipping is an absolute monster.
    Specially after USPS upped their rates recently. 37 for int'l shipping is very low. It will cost him about 60-70 to send a full pack to places like Brazil.

"May Roy find a True Ressurrect spell"

18. - Top - End - #2088
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah hopefully the rate changes that they just put in a week or two ago don't mess with this drive too much. I remember when Priority Mail envelopes were in the 3 dollar range, now it's almost in the 5.

19. - Top - End - #2089
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YohanLeafheart View Post
    Specially after USPS upped their rates recently. 37 for int'l shipping is very low. It will cost him about 60-70 to send a full pack to places like Brazil.
    Remember that the US shipping costs, whatever they are, are already built into the pledge amount. So $37 is only the markup on top of the US portion. This should apply to all packages where there is an additional amount requested for intl shipping.

20. - Top - End - #2090
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Frankly, I fear that Rich is underselling, especially considering international orders, and Kickstarters and Amazon's cuts (10%+ fees)
    Sadly, I think the spot where Rich undersold is on his signature. He has to sign 700+ things in this drive and the cost for that signature is around a $15 markup (someone who cares can check my dirty napkin figuring) on the cost of the unsigned equivalent (where there is an equivalent). He easily could have charged more for them when you consider every one of them sold out within 30 minutes of being posted. He rarely goes to conventions and his signature is pretty rare. (And SHAME on anyone who puts any of those signed books up on Ebay.)

He also undersold the high end rewards. I think he just didn't realize how much people were willing to spend on his "little stick figure webcomic".
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 2012-02-08 at 05:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #2091
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YohanLeafheart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDJ View Post
    Remember that the US shipping costs, whatever they are, are already built into the pledge amount. So $37 is only the markup on top of the US portion. This should apply to all packages where there is an additional amount requested for intl shipping.
    https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

Large Flat Rate Box
    Domestic Rate: $15.45 at the Post Office™
    APO/FPO/DPO Rate*: $13.45 at the Post Office
    International Rate**: $39.95 (Mexico/Canada), $60.95 (all other countries) at the Post Office
    Size:12" x 12" x 5 1/2"

The Kickstart shipping costs say:
    "(Canada/Mexico orders, please add $22 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $37.)"

So it comes across as Rich taking a $2.50 hit on each shipment to Canada, (actual cost is +$24.50 to Canada), and an $8.50 hit on each international shipment, (actual cost is +$45.50 internationally).

I hope he's done his numbers better somewhere else, because at this point it looks like the drive will be subsidizing international shipping.

22. - Top - End - #2092
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VinRaven View Post

Large Flat Rate Box
    International Rate**: $39.95 (Mexico/Canada), $60.95 (all other countries) at the Post Office

"(Canada/Mexico orders, please add $22 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $37.)"

So it comes across as Rich taking a $2.50 hit on each shipment to Canada, (actual cost is +$24.50 to Canada), and an $8.50 hit on each international shipment, (actual cost is +$45.50 internationally).

I hope he's done his numbers better somewhere else, because at this point it looks like the drive will be subsidizing international shipping.
    This is assuming Priority Mail. There is always just Parcel Post.

23. - Top - End - #2093
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VinRaven View Post

Large Flat Rate Box

Oops, I think he's figuring on using the Medium Box, my mistake:
    Medium Flat Rate Box
    Domestic Rate: $11.35 at the Post Office™
    International Rate*: $32.95 (Mexico/Canada), $47.95 (all other countries) at the Post Office
    Size: 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8"

24. - Top - End - #2094
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    (And SHAME on anyone who puts any of those signed books up on Ebay.)
    Not that I'll do this, but why? All it's doing is taking money from the eBay buyer in exchange for having heard of the Kickstarter in time. It's no skin off Rich's back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #2095
    Dwarf in the Playground

7,436 Backers
    $550,173

Under $6500 to the top 5.

26. - Top - End - #2096
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Not that I'll do this, but why? All it's doing is taking money from the eBay buyer in exchange for having heard of the Kickstarter in time. It's no skin off Rich's back.
    If not for the speculator, the book could have gone to someone who would have kept it and no one but Rich profits from Rich's work.

Having logged into Kickstarter at the right time of day to catch those times Rich added new rewards is a slimy way to make money. And yes, I hate concert ticket brokers who mark up the price on the good seats by selling them aftermarket too.

27. - Top - End - #2097
    Ettin in the Playground

If not for the speculator, the book could have gone to someone who would have kept it and no one but Rich profits from Rich's work.

Having logged into Kickstarter at the right time of day to catch those times Rich added new rewards is a slimy way to make money. And yes, I hate concert ticket brokers who mark up the price on the good seats by selling them aftermarket too.
    I believe the phrase "cold, dead hands" best sums up my view on retaining my signed books when they arrive.

28. - Top - End - #2098
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, I think the spot where Rich undersold is on his signature. He has to sign 700+ things in this drive and the cost for that signature is around a $15 markup (someone who cares can check my dirty napkin figuring) on the cost of the unsigned equivalent (where there is an equivalent). He easily could have charged more for them when you consider every one of them sold out within 30 minutes of being posted. He rarely goes to conventions and his signature is pretty rare. (And SHAME on anyone who puts any of those signed books up on Ebay.)

He also undersold the high end rewards. I think he just didn't realize how much people were willing to spend on his "little stick figure webcomic".
    He might have "undersold" his signature and art-works, but on the other hand he allowed fans who aren't swimming in money to access and enjoy them at a price which wouldn't ruin them. For that I will be forever grateful.

29. - Top - End - #2099

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I believe the phrase "cold, dead hands" best sums up my view on retaining my signed books when they arrive.
    Agreed! I didn't camp by my F5 key to score my signed copies and crayon drawing for somebody else! They're mine. Just try and take 'em!

However, if someone wants to sell their own copy on Ebay somewhere down the road, it doesn't bother me. Their choice, not mine.
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #2100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    He might have "undersold" his signature and art-works, but on the other hand he allowed fans who aren't swimming in money to access and enjoy them at a price which wouldn't ruin them. For that I will be forever grateful.
    I'm aware of that. And I never said he should have sold his signature at "market" price. I merely pointed out he could have charged more.