New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 136 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    (Caveat: First Class mail is not fast. People who order a book and a magnet will almost certainly get it before the people who order just a magnet, even if the magnet packages hit the mail first.)
    Funny how that is...I guess no one would use it if it were called Low Class Mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Giant,

I just changed my pledge to the 250 or more (to 290, so I get a signed WAXP copy). Two little issues:

1) do I have to pay more to get the book sent to Brazil?

2) can I get it signed for a friend? I would like to give the signed book as a gift to the person who introduced my to your great comic.

thanks and congrats on beating the goal!
    Parabéns, as we would say in Brazil =)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Just to give some fun numbers.

About 30 hours to raise $57,750.

That's $1925 an hour
    about $32.083 a minute
    about $0.53 a second

If this were a job (40 hour work week), it would pay (before taxes and deferrals)
    $77,000 a week
    $4,004,000 a year
    Unfortunately, keep in mind that this is the first time he's ever done a donation drive. Most people wouldn't be able to keep making the same donations monthly or weekly.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Unfortunately, keep in mind that this is the first time he's ever done a donation drive. Most people wouldn't be able to keep making the same donations monthly or weekly.
    Is it really a donation drive though? It's a publishing run essentially funded by the fans who want it republished. Regardless of the semantics though...

This is awesome, thank you Giant! I'll be pledging $45 in a week or two when the funds open up. Possibly more if other books become available!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It's not exactly a donation drive - each backer is getting something specific and tangible in exchange for the pledge. But yes, there is a "first time" element to it. I think the bigger factor to make such extrapolation misleading is the "initial surge" element. A large number of people discover the project on day 1 and pledge immediately, and that produces an enormous lump sum that the accumulation of lower frequency visitors and word of mouth that follows it is unlikely to match.

Of course, if we get to the "OOPCs added to rewards" threshold I expect we'll get another giant leap as people upgrade their pledges to get that too. Heck, additional rewards of any kind would likely trigger a surge. I watched as Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary fame ran a Kickstarter drive to create a board game based on his comic, and I think pledges had started to taper off when he started announcing overfund rewards - "if we reach X total, I'll add Y bonus to everyone's game". Suddenly the overfund goals were being passed so fast it seemed like he was having difficulty coming up with new bonuses for more overfund goals fast enough to keep up, even though the bonuses weren't specific to any individual pledger or pledge amount.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2012-01-23 at 06:43 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question: is there a way to update the goal to reflect the next level that we are reaching for? I'm concerned that people will donate less or possibly not donate at all if it says that the goal has been reached.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guys! We passed the first goal!

Heh. I can't believe I missed it because of school. Bah. This is so awesome. I kinda wish I had 5,000 dollars right now though...
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    I just changed my pledge to the 250 or more (to 290, so I get a signed WAXP copy). Two little issues:

1) do I have to pay more to get the book sent to Brazil?

2) can I get it signed for a friend? I would like to give the signed book as a gift to the person who introduced my to your great comic.
    1.) No, we're absorbing the cost of international shipping on anyone ordering a crayon drawing.

2.) Yes; when the drive is over, we'll send out the survey for everyone's shipping information. For signed copies, it will include a space to request a name dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by CloakedDancer View Post
    Question: is there a way to update the goal to reflect the next level that we are reaching for? I'm concerned that people will donate less or possibly not donate at all if it says that the goal has been reached.
    No, the goal is fixed by the software, unfortunately. It's a concern for me as well, one that I'm hoping to manage through the updates (especially the graphs). If I had known we would reach this goal so quickly, I would have set the initial goal at the "full WAXP print run" level. I just thought that would seem enormous as a first goal.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Heh, funny thing that I considered the $5000 donation for a split second there. Then reality quickly put me in my place and reminded me that the severance/vacation money I just got after being laid off would be better spent on food and shelter (and, more importantly, internet and electricity)....

I'll have to throw a $10 down here in a few.
    Last edited by Choco; 2012-01-23 at 07:08 PM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

This is spectacular. I think it's still getting about a backer a minute and it's already $5k over the initial goal.

I ended up going for the $250 amount, but I can't decide which two characters I'd like to see. Haley for sure, but who to have her interact with?
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

No, the goal is fixed by the software, unfortunately. It's a concern for me as well, one that I'm hoping to manage through the updates (especially the graphs). If I had known we would reach this goal so quickly, I would have set the initial goal at the "full WAXP print run" level. I just thought that would seem enormous as a first goal.
    Well, one of the most recent Kickstarters I contributed to was the http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ board game project. In part due to having Overfunding Maxims (rewards for targets above the stated goal), they just kept going and going. The final tally was something like $82,000 out of $25,000. You've already got more contributors than there ever were for that project (though not as much money yet, as everyone there was contributing at the $55 level to get the game itself), and the promised reprints are as good Overfunding Maxims as we could wish for. So I predict a good, healthy growth on that funding marker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #222

DwarfFighterGuy

Since this kickstarter seems to have succeeded spectacularly, how about this for the next one:

Make a kickstarter to get a better forum server!

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    It is in Julio's mind.
    Actually I'm hoping one (or more) of the three 1250 pledgers picks Julio for the bonus story. In fact, when OOTS ends, I hope Rich takes a little time off then starts making Julio Scoundrel comics.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

So 55$ later, a War & XPs book will be getting a home in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    My fiancee approved the expense, altough, as someone else in this forum, I was not allowed to take 5k from the wedding fund (which she is actually paying, selling wedding dresses )

Very happy, yay!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Since this kickstarter seems to have succeeded spectacularly, how about this for the next one:

Make a kickstarter to get a better forum server!
    Not a good idea -- the forum server isn't a one-time expense like reprinting a book. To be upgraded, there needs to be a steady source of income sufficient to cover the increased expense, or else we'll be forced back to a cheaper one at some point.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

thanks Giant! Another question on the 250 reward: if two pledgers choose the same 2 characters, will they get the same drawing, or at least the same dialogue/joke?
    Last edited by nogall; 2012-01-23 at 07:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Not a good idea -- the forum server isn't a one-time expense like reprinting a book. To be upgraded, there needs to be a steady source of income sufficient to cover the increased expense, or else we'll be forced back to a cheaper one at some point.
    I dunno, $65k+ will get you a half-decent server for quite a while. Plus having a better server for a while is still better than having an underpowered one all that time. And once everyone gets used to the new, better server, they may be more willing to contribute to the continuation kickstarters further down the road

18. - Top - End - #228
    Barbarian in the Playground

I let a few gamers I saw today know about the drive. Hopefully they'll pledge a bit.

Everyone spread the word! But not online if you can help it, that might look a little spammy if you go around different sites telling people to pledge money to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As Flame of Anor said, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Kickstarter limit being passed so quickly. I've seen Kickstarter projects go nine times over the initial goal.

Secondly, $10 gets people something that they have no guarantee of ever getting again: How the Paladin Got His Scar (and the three other short stories thanks to the successful large pledges).

Sure, they might become availaible one day. Reading between the lines, I might even say it's probable. But it's not a guarantee. And if someone wants them as soon as they are available and not have to wait for sometime in the distant future to get them what do should they do?

Pledge NOW!

Add in the additional pledge targets that Rich has talked about and I think there's not too much to worry about, to be honest.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-23 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Forgot about the extra stories
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is there any chance that scans of the $250 drawings will be added to the PDF aswell, or will we only get to see the ones that we order ourselves/get uploaded by other people who get them?
    Spoiler: plotgoblin.tumblr.com
    Show

(for updates when new comics are posted and occasional rambling commentary)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    thanks Giant! Another question on the 250 reward: if two pledgers choose the same 2 characters, will they get the same drawing, or at least the same dialogue/joke?
    Not necessarily. But since the crayon drawings are only for the people who pay for them, it doesn't really matter if they're similar to each other. That said, I rarely bother drawing the exact same thing twice.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDrake View Post
    Is there any chance that scans of the $250 drawings will be added to the PDF aswell, or will we only get to see the ones that we order ourselves/get uploaded by other people who get them?
    Whether or not they are shared will be up to the people who pay for them. They won't be included in the PDF.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

This has been a great success, and it appears to be trucking right along.

So much awesome!
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

I'll be living on tapwater and noodles for a while... but I pledged enough to grab one of the OOTS crayon drawing rewards, and I'll make sure to scan and post the drawing for everyone else to enjoy before it is framed and hung on my wall. Hope the other 49 lucky people (and the 5 RPG party drawing pledgers too) can do the same!

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Guys! We passed the first goal!

Heh. I can't believe I missed it because of school. Bah. This is so awesome. I kinda wish I had 5,000 dollars right now though...
    Can I borrow it?

GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Is it really a donation drive though? It's a publishing run essentially funded by the fans who want it republished. Regardless of the semantics though...

This is awesome, thank you Giant! I'll be pledging $45 in a week or two when the funds open up. Possibly more if other books become available!
    Semantics aside, the fact of the matter is that if you look at it purely from a "we're buying a product" standpoint, you're paying $10-15 for a small magnet and $45 for a $25(?) book. It's not sustainable, especially since eventually everyone will have the books. I for one already own them all, and donated to help out, but it's not something I could do weekly or monthly.

My point was the numbers Wampa X posted are unsustainable, since they include a lot of people who are getting the first chance to help out. It's a pipe dream to expect those kinds of numbers to continue indefinitely. Not to mention the majority of readers may have already donated.
    Last edited by NerfTW; 2012-01-23 at 08:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Rich,

Why not schedule a day to go to Ookadook in Houston to sign books? You could sign a few hundred that way and have them still handle the shipping chores.

Thanks for all the hard work on this!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Semantics aside, the fact of the matter is that if you look at it purely from a "we're buying a product" standpoint, you're paying $10-15 for a small magnet and $45 for a $25(?) book. It's not sustainable, especially since eventually everyone will have the books. I for one already own them all, and donated to help out, but it's not something I could do weekly or monthly.

My point was the numbers Wampa X posted are unsustainable, since they include a lot of people who are getting the first chance to help out. It's a pipe dream to expect those kinds of numbers to continue indefinitely. Not to mention the majority of readers may have already donated.
    The Ookoodook page for War and XPs says it's $32.95. Say the magnet and PDF stories (that's four new original stories by Rich since the $1250 reward stories get sent to all backers) are worth $10 (a more than reasonable price in my opinion) and add a little for shipping and handling, and the $45 pledge reward is dead on for standard retail price.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateDB View Post
    Rich,

Why not schedule a day to go to Ookadook in Houston to sign books? You could sign a few hundred that way and have them still handle the shipping chores.
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I understand the allure of having the book personalized with a name along with the signature, but I bet a lot of people would be happy with just a signature, and those would be easier to deal with (not having to make sure the right name gets to the person it was meant for). So, maybe a new level for signed books that aren't personalized, leaving those for the people that managed to pledge early.

29. - Top - End - #239

Wow... that was fast. Any particular reason you went for Kickstarter instead of RocketHub? (I can't see the difference from here.)

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just made my pledge, and good thing too as there is only ONE crayon drawing left.

So if folks want one, better get there PDQ.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb