New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 85 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3560757677787980818283848586878889909192939495110135 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #2521
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

In case you're interested, White Wolf's having a Kickstarter for an embossed, leather-bound version of the V20 Companion.

Kickstarter seems to have become quite popular. When Double Fine made $1,000,000 in a day, I bet that turned some heads.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-02-16 at 01:55 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2522
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

I've been meaning to order Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales to complete my collection for some time now and this drive gave me the perfect opportunity to do so. And all those extras just make it an even more awesome deal

Long time reader, expert level forum lurker.
    Last edited by Lumenhenki; 2012-02-16 at 02:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #2523
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I know it's his character, but he's saying Elan wrong dammit!!
    Indeed. Always bugs me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #2524
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I can not understand you - for me "Elan" sounds exactly like i imagined it should - not like i am saying it, but that'S because i have to get my informations to people who read "Elan" as written in German... *smile*

5. - Top - End - #2525
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So did he pronounce it as e-lan or el-an as i usually read it as the second

6. - Top - End - #2526
    Ogre in the Playground

And we're at 820k. If we can keep up 45k/day for the next 4 days, we'll hit 1 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

7. - Top - End - #2527
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    For some reason, I've always pronounced it AY-lon.

8. - Top - End - #2528
    Troll in the Playground

The official pronunciation is EE-lin. *shudder*
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

9. - Top - End - #2529
    Troll in the Playground

10. - Top - End - #2530
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    *blinks*

That's... pretty darn close to how I've been pronouncing it to myself the whole time.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

11. - Top - End - #2531
    Dwarf in the Playground

Long live E-lan!

12. - Top - End - #2532
    Firbolg in the Playground

EE-lin is exactly how I say it. And Vaarsuvius was the same, obviously.

'Haley' I always pronounced 'Hay-lee', and 'Belkar' I got into the habit of pronouncing 'Belker' (think 'Belkar', but with less stress on the 'a' sound.)
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2012-02-16 at 06:12 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #2533
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been pronouncing Elan right, but apparently I had Haley wrong. Huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

14. - Top - End - #2534
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Indeed. Always bugs me.
    Thirded. I was heartbroken.

15. - Top - End - #2535
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    EE-lin is exactly how I say it. And Vaarsuvius was the same, obviously.
    You pronounce Vaarsuvius "EE-lin" as well?

16. - Top - End - #2536
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Can someone point me to the exact time when Rich says Elan's name in the podcast? I've spent last 20 minutes jumping back and forth in the recording, but can't find it :(

17. - Top - End - #2537
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I guess Elan's name wasn't meaningful after all?

18. - Top - End - #2538
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that's how I do it too. How do you say it?
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

19. - Top - End - #2539
    Halfling in the Playground

LOL! Now that's talent.
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #2540
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Huh, I always pronounce it Elan, the man with a plan. Apparently it rhymes with Sarah Palin. Who knew?

So, does the kickstarter update happen at a regular time of day? Or is the update dependant on the amount pledged cracking the "top 5" barrier?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

21. - Top - End - #2541
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I assume that Elan's name is derived from the word élan, a noun that is defined by dictionary.com as "dash" (as in Dashing Swordsman) or "impetuous ardor". Going by that, it should be pronounced ay-LAHN. However, I've always mentally pronounced it EL-in.

22. - Top - End - #2542
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Apparently it rhymes with Sarah Palin
    It's not. It's pronounced as ee-lin
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #2543
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verithrax View Post
    I assume that Elan's name is derived from the word élan, a noun that is defined by dictionary.com as "dash" (as in Dashing Swordsman) or "impetuous ardor". Going by that, it should be pronounced ay-LAHN. However, I've always mentally pronounced it EL-in.
    Nope, Ee-lin. His name is probably derived from the word but pronounced differently. Like the French facile vs. the English facile.

Woah, Julio Scoun-DREL... Oops.

The biggest disappointment I had with a mispronunciation was finding out how to pronounce Neil Gaiman's name. For two years, I thought it was pronounced "Guy-man", but it's actually "Gay-men".

P.S. Back on track, I think the Double Fine and this Kickstarter are convincing people that Kickstarter is a viable way to raise a pile of cash for a project if you're an established brand/company.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-02-16 at 09:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #2544
    Dwarf in the Playground

From now on, yes.

25. - Top - End - #2545
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Kickstarter Millionaire?

I first heard of The Order of the Stick when a forum poster at the Arelith website referenced the comic. The same day, I was perusing TV Tropes and saw the 'Lampshade' entry. You know- the one that uses Redcloak's questioning of O-Chul as the graphic example. There was a link, and I read the most recent OOTS, and it didn't make any sense to me. So I went to read the one before it, hit the 'first' button by mistake, and found myself at #1.

I believe we are being converted to the new 3.5 edition.

Tee-hee, it's so tiny!

I go into so much detail, because I want to point out that for me- and for a lot of others- this was the beginning of something wonderful, almost magical, in my life. I don't mean 'birth of my children' magical, but just about up there with when a ninth grade classmate walked me over to a shelf in the library and showed me all the books by Robert Heinlein when I asked him about the book he was reading. At least as wonderful as watching the first episode of LOST (my son's name is 'Sawyer'- that's all I'm sayin'), and if it ends satisfactorily will almost certainly leave that one in the dust.

The Giant says in his interview, again and again, how surprised he is by the response on Kickstarter. I believe him, I was too. But he shouldn't have been, and neither should I. This game that some of us have used for many years to tell stories has a story of its own, and Rich has found a way to tell a kickass D&D story that incorporates the story of D&D.

The rules jokes amused us because they were our jokes, the ones we've made for years around the gaming tables. The characters were our own, or ones we've played with; the tale as old as time (or at least the late seventies). The rules jokes became genre jokes, became character jokes as we grew to know them better, became a story. A truly excellent one, just behind the veneer of humor, with dire villains and flawed heroes who just might overcome their own foibles long enough to save the universe. Yeah, he went there.

And along the way, there is mystery, romance, intrigue, mayhem, murder, war, and betrayal. Also, a kobold eats cat poop.

I never bought a book. I never really thought about it. My wife bought me an $8 bumper sticker, because I thought it was cool. But as far as 'supporting' the comic... I just hadn't thought about it.

Well, I have now. Four more days. The way I see it, fifty thousand a day is completely do-able. I just think I would grin all day to think that I helped this amazing story-teller get a million dollars in thirty days.

And I know that the money goes to the comic. That is as it should be. But then the sale of the comic goes to the man, which is as it should be. Because, as important and awesome as OOTS is in my day, it has to be so much more so to Rich Burlew -The Giant. I know this must be such a fantastic validation for him in so many ways, and although I do not know him at all except through the comic and this site, I am very happy for him, and proud of him for what he has done.

Let's make it a nice, round number. Shall we?
    Last edited by Kaulguard; 2012-02-17 at 10:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #2546
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Huh, I always pronounce it Elan, the man with a plan. Apparently it rhymes with Sarah Palin. Who knew?
    Is not. Ee-lin, not Ay-lin
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #2547
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Yeah, that's how I do it too. How do you say it?
    Like the homoglyph, "elan".

28. - Top - End - #2548
    Troll in the Playground

OT: Just $400 to go until we break back in the top five.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-16 at 11:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #2549
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kickstarter Dragon

So, 1 haley = 0.985074627 smoots?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #2550
    Ogre in the Playground

Achievement Unlocked: Kickstarter All-Time 5th place.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo