New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateDB View Post
    Why not schedule a day to go to Ookadook in Houston to sign books? You could sign a few hundred that way and have them still handle the shipping chores.!
    Travel is not a viable option for me at this time. And let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    Wow... that was fast. Any particular reason you went for Kickstarter instead of RocketHub? (I can't see the difference from here.)
    Yes; the reason is, I've never heard of RocketHub until this moment.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Ah, well that's a good a reason as any. It also probably does not say anything particularly good about RocketHub either. As far as I can see RocketHub is KickStarts main competitor. I have no idea which would be a better fit for your needs in any case
    http://rockethub.com/
    Last edited by blackjack217; 2012-01-23 at 10:51 PM.

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

IndieGoGo is another major competitor of Kickstarter from what I've seen, mind you kickstarter is the biggest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    As Flame of Anor said, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Kickstarter limit being passed so quickly. I've seen Kickstarter projects go nine times over the initial goal.
    As an example http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ame?ref=search 10x the initial value.

"May Roy find a True Ressurrect spell"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

wow... ~36 hours in, and we're already rapidly approacking the full print run for WaXP.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have to say, I pledged a while ago but I just can't... stop... refreshing! I don't know why, since I technically don't have a stake in it any more (all the bonuses that I could have gotten from this are already assured) but watching the numbers go up has become my new favorite form of entertainment.

I don't think I want to know what that says about me.

Oh, no, wait, it's this, isn't it: *cough*nerd*cough*

Well, darn skippy, in that case. Anyway, only wanted to show not just my appreciation for the comic but also my amazed awe at people's generosity, which is currently keeping me riveted to my computer screen. Hooray!
    Last edited by ella ventic; 2012-01-23 at 11:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

DwarfFighterGuy

One of the reasons I keep refreshing is I hope we really blow away the goals by enough to get NCfPB reprinted in this run.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ella ventic View Post
    I have to say, I pledged a while ago but I just can't... stop... refreshing! I don't know why, since I technically don't have a stake in it any more (all the bonuses that I could have gotten from this are already assured) but watching the numbers go up has become my new favorite form of entertainment.

I don't think I want to know what that says about me.

Oh, no, wait, it's this, isn't it: *cough*nerd*cough*

Well, darn skippy, in that case. Anyway, just wanted to show not just my appreciation for the comic but also my amazed awe at people's generosity, which is currently keeping me riveted to my computer screen. Hooray!
    Me too. I've been completely distracted from urgent homework all of yesterday and today watching the numbers. I literally didn't do anything productive until 8PM yesterday (The kickstarter had begun just before I woke up)

Also, on another kickstarter I once watched the updates were done on the main page, so everyone could see them better. Is that no longer possible? It seems like a good way to get the graph seen more.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249

I've been refreshing kickstarter too, ever since I finished my classes today. Write a lab report? Pfft, I can't do that, I need to refresh kickstarter again! Maybe it's gone up more in the last few seconds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    I've been refreshing kickstarter too, ever since I finished my classes today. Write a lab report? Pfft, I can't do that, I need to refresh kickstarter again! Maybe it's gone up more in the last few seconds!
    Yeah...

<click>

<click>

<click>

Damn, I'm doing it again!

I wonder what it'll be at by tomorrow. Probably another one of the milestones, or close.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Giant, I just want you to know that this was the straw that broke the camel's back and convinced me to break my online transaction cherry. It was overdue, really (who ever heard of a CS major who's never used money online?), but you have the honor of being the first.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

I realize I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here but I have a question about the $84 pledge. As it stands now, you get two copies of War and XPs, however I am missing No Cure for the Paladin Blues as well. Would it be possible to get a copy of both instead of two WAXPs?

I know you said that we would need to hit the $140k-$150k mark for a NCFTPB reprint, but given the numbers so far, that seems really reachable (as of this post, it is at $70k and this is day two). Hence my optimism.

Speaking of; congratulations on the overwhelming success!

13. - Top - End - #253

SwashbucklerGuy

Heh. I'd already pledged, but I noticed just now that it was $9.00 away from $70,000. I had to be the one to cross that particular line, so I upped it by $9.

We're now at $70K!!!

14. - Top - End - #254

Just happened to log in at the right time...
    Spoiler
    Show

Not too shabby
    !

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

I donated 10 bucks for the pledge.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #256

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bug View Post
    Just happened to log in at the right time...
    Spoiler
    Show

Not too shabby
    Hee hee! That was me screwing up second-grade math. I upped my pledge $8 to get it to $70K, then saw it only got to $69,999.

I let out an "Aw crud!!!" and then hurriedly added another buck before somebody could beat me to it.

17. - Top - End - #257

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YohanLeafheart View Post
    As an example http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ame?ref=search 10x the initial value.
    Another very cool example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lops-build-big

$51,145 pledged towards a goal of $7,300.

(I just discovered it yesterday. Rich's Kickstarter got me exploring the Kickstarter site, and I found that. That's gotta be the coolest little gizmo ever.)

I'm curious to see just how much further it goes in the next 8 days.

I think the trick to a successful Kickstarter is two-fold: Marketing (which is easy here because Rich's entire fan base comes to his website twelve times a day checking for comic updates), and maintaining frequent updates and added prize levels as the total climbs.

I really think Rich should move the Kickstarter banner ad on the comic page to the top of the page so that everybody sees it even if they don't visit the forums or check the news page - not everybody will scroll down to it. But aside from that, the advertising seems pretty easy with such a loyal fan base.

With added incentives and updates, I see no reason this couldn't make it to $100,000.

Good luck Rich!!!!

w

18. - Top - End - #258
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The main reason I'm refreshing is that these limited edition things sell out fast!

I was one of the lucky ones to get a DStP one, but even when I was there (about 1 hour after the drive started) the magnets were already gone.

19. - Top - End - #259

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wzeller View Post
    Another very cool example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lops-build-big

$51,145 pledged towards a goal of $7,300.

(I just discovered it yesterday. Rich's Kickstarter got me exploring the Kickstarter site, and I found that. That's gotta be the coolest little gizmo ever.)
    I LOVED the TIE Interceptor in that video.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Just pledged $100, and kicking myself for dithering over the amount (this or more than this) while the limited rewards ran out.

Why the self-kicking, I can't say. War and XPs is all the birthday present I could want. I don't really need a crayon drawing.

Having said that, if we haven't hit every possible goal with, say, one week left, I might add some more contribution. Will definitely be watching for the autographs and will try to be faster this time.

Rich, Encourage you not to overburden yourself with too many fancy rewards, unless doing so seems cool and you enjoy it a lot, why am I telling you what to do? But anyway, we don't need fancy rewards to donate. Autographs seem faster than complicated stuff and are worth it all by themselves.

In fact, I don't really need much more of a reason to hand over small bricks of money. This could have been the "Buy me a train because my comic is awesome" and I'd have still chipped in something.

Especially with all of these regular updates (What can I say, the OOTS metaphorical elongated wooden hollow implement has been containing unusually pure samples of entirely legal household baking spices lately)

EDIT/ADD: By the way, 2AM here. I expect we'll hit the full War & XP print run goal by the time I wake up. Definitely by tomorrow. Don't let me down, internet!
    Last edited by eras10; 2012-01-24 at 01:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I've added a new update, as well as two new reward options: One WAXP and one Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales for $68, or both books signed for $96. Both options are limited, but the signed options significantly more so.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ohh.. Pledge $96 or more to get both War and XPs and SSDT signed. But.. I just received my non-signed copy of SSDT from ookoodook. Argh. It's tempting

23. - Top - End - #263

BarbarianGuy

2nd milestone reached in 2 days give or take a bit! Woot. Oh and the $5,000 pledge is now gone.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Woo! Just pledged $68! Finally getting some OOTS books!

Let's keep this going, people!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crod View Post
    Ohh.. Pledge $96 or more to get both War and XPs and SSDT signed. But.. I just received my non-signed copy of SSDT from ookoodook.
    This...this exactly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #266

I was tempted and succumbed! I hope I make ends meet in March/April.

I hope the kickstarter amount goes over the wildest expectations!

Rich, thank you for making such engrossing comics!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I don't know how many more autographs and crayon drawing Rich just added, but no more than 20 minutes after he posted that, I went for the very last autograph, followed by, with a brief pause to wonder what the heck I was doing, upping it to the last crayon drawing PLUS the autograph.

We have officially reached Beatlemania status. Oh, and will I be the first to post that we just hit Goal #2?

Just for giggles, I think Rich should include in the survey for the high rollers "want to kick in another $50 each to buy me the full-scale Cylon Centurion outfit I always wanted?" Or something. Seriously, the output of support is so incredible that, given all he's been through for this comic, he ought to be able to personally benefit from it. I'm sure he hates that idea, and it should be considered discouraged.

seriously, how much awesome could we bring for Rich personally with a fraction of this pure energy we've got going here? (there is a mailing address somewhere..)

Clearly the large updating numbers are making me lose my judgment. And I'm not the only one. Maybe we could just beg him to hold a vote or something on letting him keep 10%. 10% is *extremely* reasonable, considering. He really shouldn't be printing these for cost, as a favor to us, considering the incredible time sink this is becoming.
    Last edited by eras10; 2012-01-24 at 02:42 AM. Reason: This is the most fun I've had in weeks

28. - Top - End - #268
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

*slaps self*

....what, I'm my own financial advisor
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #269

Imp

Rich, I think you made the right call setting the kickstarter goal at the minimum print run. By my understanding, if you had set it at a higher threshold, and the drive didn't make that, the whole thing would be called off by kickstarter - even if you had enough for the War and XPs print run.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eerie View Post
    Seeing how 3 1250 pledges were sold, but 5000 is still not, I suppose the price for the cameo walk-in should have been 2500...
    *sees that someone actually grabbed it within the last 30 minutes*

You were saying?

(Though, admittedly, I'm a little surprised myself that someone nabbed it. )

Quote Originally Posted by Crod View Post
    Ohh.. Pledge $96 or more to get both War and XPs and SSDT signed. But.. I just received my non-signed copy of SSDT from ookoodook. Argh. It's tempting
    eBay is your friend in situations like these. Rich even said as much on the back cover of the book.

More seriously, give the non-autographed one to someone who might like it as a gift. Or, keep it in case the one of them gets damaged (being a one shot print run and all). Or, if one is feeling philanthropic, donate it to a local library.

Plenty of things one can do with an extra copy if you have the money to spare.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb