New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 68 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Q001

Is there any way (feat, class feature etc.) to be able to use your own ability modifier when use spell trigger or spell completion items (i.e. wands and scroll), rather than the default of the minimum ability score required to cast the spell?

Q002

A question about Mechanatrix & the Conductivity feat (UA). The feat specifies that you must take damage from an electrical attack to send an arc of electricity on to a target within 30 feet. Since Mechanatrix absorb electrical damage as healing, are they still eligible to use this feat?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 001 No.

There's no way to use your own ability modifier. However, for the specific case of activating a scroll with Use Magic Device, if you use Emulate an Ability Score your effective ability is your UMD check result minus 15. Whether that score is above or below your own ability, your result dictates how your Use a Scroll activation works.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A 001

Residual magic (tactical feat, complete mage #46 (I believe))

Allows you to use your modifiers if you cast the spell normally the round before, if I remember correctly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 003

Background: If you're a Paladin/Crusader (PHB/ToB) you have a Smite Evil ability (CHA-Mod to attack and Paladin level to damage) and a Smite ability (CHA-Mod to attack and Crusader level to damage).

A: Does the Smite-Progression of these classes by default stack in any way? If not: Are there any ways (e.g. feats) to make them stack?

B: Can I use my two smite abilities simultaneously on the same attack to gain double CHA-Mod to attack and combined level to damage? (granted, the enemy would have to be evil for the Paladin smite and I would still use one daily use of each ability).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Darazel; 2012-01-25 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Wrong Question-Number.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 004

The feats Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot seem to apply only to ranged attacks with weapons. (Exception: the 1st effect of Improved Precise Shot about cover and concealment says "ranged attacks" in general, and only the 2nd effect about shooting at grappling opponents specifies "ranged weapons".)

Do these feats apply to ranged touch attacks when no weapon is involved (spells, eldritch blast etc)?
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2012-01-25 at 01:41 PM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7

Q005: A creature with Flyby Attack, the ability to make full attacks as a Standard action, and multiple attacks per round flies within range of two different creatures but is not in range of both of them at the same time. Can it make attacks against both of them or does it have to choose one?
    Last edited by Polarity Shift; 2012-01-25 at 11:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A003 A:

They're separate class features, and do not stack. However, some means of boosting Smite might apply to both.

A003 B:

There's nothing that says you can't.

A005:
    You can take a standard action at one point while flying. You can't take part of a standard action at two different points while flying. So you'd have to settle for full-attacking one of them and just flying past the other.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 004 Generally yes.

Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot are included in the Complete Arcane treatment of Feats and Weaponlike Spells on pages 71-72. Weaponlike spells must have an attack roll and deal damage; there are some other limitations, so read carefully.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Q005:
    In order to gain the bonus damage from Dungeon Crasher when bull rushing an enemy into a wall, do I have to move with them?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q006: Can Iron Heart Surge end a Web spell?
    Throw the dice high.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 006 Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Web
    Anyone in the effect’s area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature is entangled, but not prevented from moving, though moving is more difficult than normal for being entangled (see below). If the save fails, the creature is entangled and can’t move from its space, but can break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check.
    From page 38 of Tome of Battle:
    INITIATING MANEUVERS AND STANCES
    To initiate a maneuver or a stance, you must be able to move.
    If you succeed at the Web Reflex save to be able to move, you can initiate the Iron Heart Surge maneuver, which will end the Web spell. If you can't move, you can't use Iron Heart Surge.

A 005
    If you force an opponent to move into a wall or other solid object, he stops as normal. However, your momentum crushes him against it, dealing an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 4d6 points + twice your Strength bonus (if any).
    Dungeon Crasher requires both the bull rush special attack, and transfer of your momentum (the product of your mass and your velocity) to the opponent. Only if you have a means of transferring your character's momentum (not just the momentum of the weapon they're using) can you avoid moving with the opponent.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-01-25 at 01:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by pfz555 View Post
    Q005:
    In order to gain the bonus damage from Dungeon Crasher when bull rushing an enemy into a wall, do I have to move with them?
    A006: Only if the method you are using to move them requires that you do. For example Knockback would not.
    Last edited by Polarity Shift; 2012-01-25 at 01:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 006 Maybe. From page 38 of Tome of Battle: If you succeed at the Web Reflex save to be able to move, you can initiate the Iron Heart Surge maneuver, which will end the Web spell. If you can't move, you can't use Iron Heart Surge.
    There's some ambiguity there over whether the maneuver use requirement means "able to move to a different square" or "able to move your body at all". A failed save against Web only prevents the former.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    There's some ambiguity there over whether the maneuver use requirement means "able to move to a different square" or "able to move your body at all". A failed save against Web only prevents the former.
    While that's true, I'm not sure it matters in D&D terms. A character subject to the D&D paralyzed condition continues to breathe and swallow (they don't suffocate or choke), stand upright, and maintain their grip on items. The D&D character exercises voluntary muscles that the medical paralysis condition doesn't permit. So, in D&D, movement of your body within your square isn't treated as movement: you aren't using any of the game's movement modes. Initiating a maneuver requires that you must be able to move as D&D treats movement.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q007 Can a Combat Trapsmith (CSco 34) create more than one trap in the same square?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q008

Lesser Ironguard says normal metal passes through you, presumably including items an adventurer might wear such as weapons armor, jewelry, and the like. Ironguard says it's like Lesser Ironguard, except you're also immune to magical metal. Does this mean someone with Ironguard on them can't wear/use magical items which are made of metal, or does the immunity clause only mean you're immune to attacks from magical weapons?

Q009

That age old Ironguard question: How do partly-metal weapons such as spears, arrows, bolts, halberds, and the rest affect someone who is protected by Ironguard?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Q010
    If a warrior with cleave attacks a wizard's mirror image can the warrior then cleave to another image? If possible, cite a rule that supports it. And, from extension, if the warrior has great cleave can he destroy a wizard's images in one swipe?
    Last edited by soulsabre345; 2012-01-25 at 10:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 010 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave
    If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Image
    Several illusory duplicates of you pop into being, making it difficult for enemies to know which target to attack.
    Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it.
    Each Mirror Image duplicate is, as far as the warrior with Cleave knows, a creature. Destroying a figment makes it "drop" out of existence.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Q011
    Here - http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...php?topic=4398 is a handbook for lycantropy. As one of the suggestions for basic animal I saw this
    Swarm, Murder of Crows (ToM); Str -8, Dex +4; Alertness, Improved Initiative; Blinding, Distraction, half-damage from slashing and piercing, swarm traits
    Is it really legal to be a were-swarm in general, or this particular swarm due to some obscure wording?
    Last edited by Fearan; 2012-01-26 at 05:38 AM.
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A010

No, a figment is not a creature.
    And cleave requires you to drop a creature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 011 No.
    A swarm is a collection of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures that acts as a single creature.
    Becoming a lycanthrope is very much like multiclassing as an animal and gaining the appropriate Hit Dice.
    Lycanthropy lets you assume the form of an animal. There is no option to assume the form of a collection of animals.

Re: A010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikau013 View Post
    No, a figment is not a creature.
    And cleave requires you to drop a creature.
    There is no divination magic involved in the Cleave feat. A Mirror Image figment "dropped" in melee behaves identically to a summoned creature, which also disappears when "dropped" in melee; in both cases they drop out of existence in the combat plane rather than to the ground. Cleave operates by dropping an enemy creature out of the fighting, thus allowing a clear attack at the next nearby target. Its operation isn't dependent on the particular construction of any individual enemy, only that they be dropped in combat.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-01-26 at 06:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Re: A010 There is no divination magic involved in the Cleave feat. A Mirror Image figment "dropped" in melee behaves identically to a summoned creature, which also disappears when "dropped" in melee; in both cases they drop out of existence in the combat plane rather than to the ground. Cleave operates by dropping an enemy creature out of the fighting, thus allowing a clear attack at the next nearby target. Its operation isn't dependent on the particular construction of any individual enemy, only that they be dropped in combat.
    RE: A010
    Divination has nothing to do with it. It doesn't change whether anything is a creature or not.
    Cleave specifically calls out to only work on creatures.
    It works on summon monster since it summons a creature.
    It does notwork on Mirror image, since Mirror Image is a figment and not a creature.

In your houserules it might work (it does in mine) but this is a RAW thread and by RAW it does not work.
    Added the cleave quote from SRD below.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-01-26 at 10:20 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

RE: A010
    Divination has nothing to do with it. It doesn't change whether anything is a creature or not.
    Without divination magic or some other way of determining whether an apparent creature is actually a figment, the description of Mirror Image requires that Cleave functions identically, to your sight and hearing, with those figments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Image
    When you and the mirror image separate, observers can’t use vision or hearing to tell which one is you and which the image.
    If you had Cleave and your weapon behaved differently when destroying an apparent creature vs. destroying an actual creature, you would be violating the above requirement of Mirror Image. Only a detection means other than vision or hearing, such as divination magic, would allow a difference. Lacking some such other sense, the observing warrior with Cleave must see and hear the same effect on their weapon after dropping a figment and after dropping the spellcaster; that is, the weapon will Cleave through to attack another target in reach.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Q012

The Improved Trip feat grants an attack against the target after the trip attack succeeds. Does that attack now factor in the target's prone penalty for being tripped, or is the attack made before the target is considered prone?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 012

To receive Improved Trip's bonus attack, you must successfully trip your foe. That creature is then prone for the bonus attack, which is otherwise at the same attack bonus as on the tripping attack.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Q013

As a Wizard, do you need to be of a level that can cast a spell to have that spell in your spellbook? (As in, could a level 4 wizard have level 3+ spells in their book, even though they can't yet cast them...)
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-01-26 at 12:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 013 No.

You can write anything you want, including grocery lists, in your spellbook. To be able to later use spellbook writing for spell preparation, you must satisfy the Spellcraft check to decipher the arcane writing, then study the spell and make a second Spellcraft check to copy the spell into your spellbook. Neither of these steps is dependent on the level of spell you can currently prepare and cast.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Without divination magic or some other way of determining whether an apparent creature is actually a figment, the description of Mirror Image requires that Cleave functions identically, to your sight and hearing, with those figments. If you had Cleave and your weapon behaved differently when destroying an apparent creature vs. destroying an actual creature, you would be violating the above requirement of Mirror Image. Only a detection means other than vision or hearing, such as divination magic, would allow a difference. Lacking some such other sense, the observing warrior with Cleave must see and hear the same effect on their weapon after dropping a figment and after dropping the spellcaster; that is, the weapon will Cleave through to attack another target in reach.
    How it is perceived is irrelevant for the rules. Just like for example bane(undead) weapons still function even if you don't know the target is actually undead.

It is literally stated that it requires the target to be a creature. You seem to confuse the rules with how you'd like them to be.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How it is perceived is irrelevant for the rules.
    The question is about the interaction of two D&D elements: the Cleave feat and the Mirror Image spell. You can't disregard half of the problem and assume the answer doesn't change.

Anyway, we're not uncovering any new RAW material that helps with the answer at this point, so I'll leave my answer (with its further elucidations of the rules) as stated.