New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Q172
    I read in an Item guide on another forum that the Unicorn Horn optional spell component from Complete Champion changes the spell into a cone. The book says it just let's you use it at a range of 30ft. Is there errata or something or is the original poster just wrong?

Q173
    Is there any way to turn an expensive material component into a multiple use item? Such as paying more money to be able to use it multiple times?
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2012-02-21 at 10:22 AM.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Q 174 If you add a Metamagic feat such as Maximize Spell or Empower Spell to a Sanctified spell (Book of Exalted Deeds), does the feat affect the Sacrifice cost as well? (For example, if you cast maximized hammer of righteousness, would you take 3 Str damage instead of 1d3?)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 175
    How do you pronounce "Gestalt"?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 175

A close approximation to the German pronunciation is "Guh-shtahlt". Both vowels are short, and the accent is on the second syllable. The word means "form".

5. - Top - End - #335
    Pixie in the Playground

Q176

Is there a particular book to use if you were looking for traits and spells for an evil PC?
    thank you

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 177

Can you replace part of a graft with another graft, and if so what happens? For instance, if you have a graft such as Long Arm (Fiend Folio), which gives reach and a (claw?) attack, can you then get a graft that replaces a hand on that Long Arm, such as Locking Hand or Weapon Graft (both also from Fiend Folio), gaining the reach of the arm, losing its claw, and gaining a weapon graft/locking hand?

7. - Top - End - #337

A176

Look in the Book of Vile Darkness, and perhaps Libris Mortis.

BoVD has among other things, evil spells, evil magic items&mundane equipment, evil feats, and a whole appendix devoted to evil PCs (despite being 2 pages long).

=Evil.

(That was easy. Phew )

Edit : The BoVD doesn't seem to help much other than spells and equipment >.>

Q178
    Does freedom of movement allow burdened characters to move normally?

Q178(b)
    What enchantments/feats would a character need to take for Heavy armor to be treated as light armor?

Q178(c)
    If my character has ghost ward (+1 enchantment), fortification, moderate (+3 enchantment), and +1 mundane, would Ghost Ward grant +1, +2, or +5 to touch AC?
    Last edited by Skyrunner; 2012-02-21 at 09:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Q179

What is the best armor you can get without having ASF, without any investment besides gold?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: Q 179

Deciding on the "best" armor is subjective. Do you want highest flat-footed AC? Maximum Dexterity Bonus? Greatest land speed? Lowest weight?

Without specifics, this question would be better posed elsewhere.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Q 180

There's a creature in one of the monster books that is basically a winged shark...I'm having a heck of a time finding it. Anyone know the beastie I mean, and where I can find it?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 180
    It's called a Terlen, and it's in the Fiend Folio.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q181 The invocation crawling eye creates a Fine creature with a Hide modifier equal to your warlock level and stats otherwise equal to the warlock's. What exactly does this mean when rolling a Hide check? Is this a base modifier (ranks) or a total modifier? Do you add +16 because its size is fine? Do you add its Dexterity modifier (equal to the warlocks)?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 181

The skill modifiers (modifier = "any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll") are the final numbers you add to the d20 roll to make the check. If the invocation had instead referred to using skill ranks = your Warlock level, then you would assemble the Hide and Move Silently modifiers from individual subcomponents.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 176 addt'l

Exemplars of Evil has a lot of info about creating great villains, and also some unique feats and spells.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q181+ It seems rather bizarre that you don't even apply the size modifier, are you sure about this one? It would make the whole thing kinda pointless...

16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground

Let's talk about the thrallherd.

Q182
    If someone uses detect magic (assume transparency) on a thrall/believer, do they register anything?

Q182+
    If no, is there any way to confirm that a thrall/believer is, in fact, a thrall/believer?

Q183
    If someone uses dispel magic (assume transparency) on a thrall/believer, can anything possibly happen?

Q183+
    If no, is there any way short of death to strip a thrall/believer from a thrallherd?

Q184
    If a character has already been established in the campaign world, and a thrallherd finds himself short a thrall, are there any rules for adding that character as a thrall, or does it just happen (or not) based on DM fiat?
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-02-22 at 11:19 AM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: Q 179

Deciding on the "best" armor is subjective. Do you want highest flat-footed AC? Maximum Dexterity Bonus? Greatest land speed? Lowest weight?

Without specifics, this question would be better posed elsewhere.
    Fair point. Best flatfoot AC with at least +4 max Dex bonis.

18. - Top - End - #348

RedWizardGuy

Q 185
    What kind of attack would a thrown rock be, and how much damage would it do?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q286: How does one determine hp and hardness for a magic item that is not a weapon, armor or shield?
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2012-02-22 at 12:53 PM.
    Throw the dice high.

20. - Top - End - #350

Q187

Can metamagic feats be applied to spell-like abilities?

21. - Top - End - #351

A 176

(From the core armors)
    Chainshirt.

4 AC and 4 maximum Dex bonus.

A 286 - which should be 186

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.
    Let us calculate by normal items' harness and HP:

Objects are easier to hit than creatures because they usually don’t move, but many are tough enough to shrug off some damage from each blow. An object’s Armor Class is equal to 10 + its size modifier + its Dexterity modifier. An inanimate object has not only a Dexterity of 0 (-5 penalty to AC), but also an additional -2 penalty to its AC. Furthermore, if you take a full-round action to line up a shot, you get an automatic hit with a melee weapon and a +5 bonus on attack rolls with a ranged weapon.
    Therefore, a item would have a 10 + size modifier - 7, if it was inanimate.

These are for Sunder rolls, though - the actual hardness depends on the following tables:

An object’s hit point total depends on what it is made of and how big it is (see Table: Common Armor, Weapon, and Shield Hardness and Hit Points; Table: Substance Hardness and Hit Points; and Table: Object Hardness and Hit Points).
    The tables are here.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A187

Generally no, but there are some exceptions like most Sudden metamagic feats.
    If they require higher level spell slots the answer is no, otherwise they might or might not be able to be applied depending on the specifics.

Though keep in mind you also have feats like: Quicken Spell-like ability

Quote Originally Posted by ajfonty View Post
    Q187

Can metamagic feats be applied to spell-like abilities?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Q181+ It seems rather bizarre that you don't even apply the size modifier, are you sure about this one? It would make the whole thing kinda pointless...
    Yes, I'm quite sure that's what the RAW says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawling Eye
    Its Hide and Move Silently modifiers are equal to your warlock level.
    From the summary at the beginning of the Skills chapter (Player's Handbook, page 61):
    Using Skills: To make a skill check, roll:

1d20 + skill modifier
    (Skill modifier = skill rank + ability modifier + miscellaneous modifiers)
    Your skill modifier is the total added to the d20 roll for each skill check.

Note that both Hide and Move Silently are cross-class skills for the Warlock; Crawling Eye requires no ranks in these skills; and nor does the invocation have a Dexterity requirement. If you think the invocation is pointless, simply don't use it.

A 185

A thrown rock is (absent special class features) an improvised thrown weapon. Those have range increments of 10' and a maximum of 5 increments, so a limit of 50' with a -10 penalty to hit at that range. The damage is dependent on the weight of the rock. For that, consult Table 4-7: Improvised Weapon Damage on page 159 of Complete Warrior. (That's not Open Gaming Content, so I can't provide more details here.)
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-22 at 06:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 188

Large weapons weight twice as much as medium weapons. How much more do Huge or colossal weapons weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

A 169 dispute:
    You need to meet the qualifications to become a member of a class whenever you wish to enter it for any new level; the entry requirements do not cease to exist after you've attained the first
    This is actually not entirely clear, by RAW. There is a rule to this effect in Complete Warrior and Complete Mage, but by the Primary Source Rule, these cannot modify the rules for prestige classes not in those books. The Dungeon Master's Guide, which would be the primary source, says nothing about such a requirement. And there are some prestige classes in various books which just wouldn't function at all with such a rule (for instance, the Ur-Priest requires that the character not have the ability to cast divine spells, but then itself grants divine spellcasting, so such a rule would make it impossible to take a second level of Ur-Priest). So, ask your DM.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 169 dispute:
    This is actually not entirely clear, by RAW. There is a rule to this effect in Complete Warrior and Complete Mage, but
    No, those "Meeting Class Requirements" rules have nothing to do with entering into a new level in a class. The Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane rules would strip you of class benefits if you didn't continuously maintain all entry requirements. I only referred to the standard rules for level advancement (Player's Handbook, pages 58-59) which start with 1. Choose Class. Each time you do this, that choice is dependent on you satisfying any requirements the class imposes to enter into it. This step of level advancement is the same for every new class level; the entry requirements do not disappear after you attain your first level in a particular class.

A 188

This isn't provided in the RAW, so you'll have to ask your individual DM. Many DMs extend the same weight and cost multipliers used on the table of armor for unusual sizes to apply identically to weapons of unusual sizes, as a house rule.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-22 at 11:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrunner View Post
    A 176

(From the core armors)
    Chainshirt.

4 AC and 4 maximum Dex bonus.
    I asked what is the best armor that doesn't have ASF, then added that it should be max flatfoot AC with at least 4 max dex. The important part is the no ASF.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Yes, I'm quite sure that's what the RAW says.
    Aight, thanks.

If you think the invocation is pointless, simply don't use it.
    I wasn't planning to. I'm rebalancing the invocations and I'm looking for obvious flaws such as this one.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q189Is there a base class that gives full BAB and Sneak attack dice?
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

A 189

The Sneak Attack Fighter variant from Unearthed Arcana.