New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Q 190

Does the same action that activates Overpowering Attack (PH2 p45) also activate Counterattack (also PH2 p45), or do you have to specifically activate each one separately (benefiting from one or the other)?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Q 167

If a spell (eg resistance) states that it can be made permanent with permanency, and another spell (eg greater resistance from the SC) states that it functions like that spell "except as noted here", without explicitly revoking the permanency clause, does this mean the second spell can be made permanent, too?
    Is there a reason why no-one's answered this question? Is the answer really obvious, or should I have asked it somewhere different?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 190

Activating the Counterattack alternative class feature requires a full-round action. Activating the Overpowering Attack ACF requires its own full-round action. Unless you can execute two full-round actions in the same turn, these cannot be combined.

A 167 No.

Greater Resistance and Superior Resistance operate like Resistance. However, neither of these modify the Permanency spell, which is what's required for that spell to operate on any other spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permanency
    This spell makes certain other spells permanent.

Depending on the spell, you must be of a minimum caster level and must expend a number of XP.
    Without an entry for Greater Resistance or Superior Resistance, there is no formula for how you might apply Permanency to either spell. Since the rules lack those required minimum caster level and XP numbers, neither spell can be made permanent.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-23 at 10:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 191
    Does post-errata alternate form (no polymorph reference!) still confer racial bonus feats and racial skill bonuses?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 191 No.

With Alternate Form you retain your own skill ranks and feats, including bonuses associated with your original form. The ability does not include gaining the new form's skills or feats. Alternate Form's adoption of the new form's physical abilities will alter Strength-, Dexterity-, or Constitution-based skill modifiers.

Though not specific to Alternate Form, it's worth noting that the Druid wild shape ability functions as Alternate Form but also gains Elemental feats when used to assume the form of an Elemental.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    Q172
    I read in an Item guide on another forum that the Unicorn Horn optional spell component from Complete Champion changes the spell into a cone. The book says it just let's you use it at a range of 30ft. Is there errata or something or is the original poster just wrong?

Q173
    Is there any way to turn an expensive material component into a multiple use item? Such as paying more money to be able to use it multiple times?
    Repost for new page
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q192: If the Baddie bullrushes a party member he provokes attacks of opportunity. Can people use these attacks to initiate grapples/disarm/sunder attempts?
    Throw the dice high.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A172
    There is no errata concerning unicorn horns in Complete Champion. I can't find any reference whatsoever to using them for cone spells.

A173 No. But specific exceptions may apply. (for example special items printed for this effect)

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    Repost for new page
    - Edit:

A 192
    The provoking of AoO works exactly the same as normal with the exception that if they aren't the defender they have a 25% chance of hitting either the defender or the attack (depending on who provoked).
    Thus if they have AoO's left they can for example try to disarm, sunder and grapple.

9. - Top - End - #369

OldWizardGuy

Q193 Is it possible for a wizard to do this set of castings:

Round 1
    Quicken spell
    Standard action spell
    Start Full-round spell

Round 2
    Finish Full-round spell
    Standard action spell
    Quicken spell

10. - Top - End - #370
    Halfling in the Playground

A193

No.

A round is either of these(may omit any):

Swift action + Move action + Standard Action + Free action(s)
    OR
    Free action(s) + Full round action + 5 ft step (unless otherwise stated)

Full round actions can't be arbitarily split into two standard actions or others.
    Quickened spells are swift actions.

EDIT : If the description says so, a full round actioncan be spilt into 2 standard actions or be restricted some.

If under the effect of spells or conditions like slow, a full round action can be taken as two standard actions taken immedietly after one another.
    Last edited by Skyrunner; 2012-02-23 at 02:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

A193 (Clarification)

Splitting a full-round action across two rounds requires a standard action in each round (Source: SRD). So what you describe isn't possible unless the wizard had a move-action casting time spell (I am not familiar with any) or had multiple standard action from some other source.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A 193

No if you need a full-round you can't take any standard actions in the same round.

A full-round action requires an entire round to complete. Thus, it can’t be coupled with a standard or a move action, though if it does not involve moving any distance, you can take a 5-foot step.
    So if you want to cast a 1-round spell for example you can do this:

Round 1
    Quicken spell
    Start one-round spell

Round 2
    Finish one-round spell
    [Your turn starts]
    Standard action spell
    Quicken spell
    Move action

- Edit: didn't see there was a reply already
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-23 at 03:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    A 191 No.

With Alternate Form you retain your own skill ranks and feats, including bonuses associated with your original form. The ability does not include gaining the new form's skills or feats. Alternate Form's adoption of the new form's physical abilities will alter Strength-, Dexterity-, or Constitution-based skill modifiers.

Though not specific to Alternate Form, it's worth noting that the Druid wild shape ability functions as Alternate Form but also gains Elemental feats when used to assume the form of an Elemental.
    Q 191b
    Since wildshape is no longer linked to polymorph, does this mean that the restriction "The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower)" does no longer apply post-errata?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 191b
    Since wildshape is no longer linked to polymorph, does this mean that the restriction "The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower)" does no longer apply post-errata?

A 191b

Nevermind: "The new form’s Hit Dice can’t exceed the character’s druid level."
    My apologies for being well, stupid.
    Last edited by SillySymphonies; 2012-02-23 at 06:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q194 The draconic invocation instill vulnerability (Dragon Magic, p. 81) makes a creature vulnerable to the chosen energy type. If the creature happens to be resistant to the same energy type, does that resistance still apply?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

A194 Yes.

I believe it's DM's option on which order they get applied in, though I vaguely remember a "most beneficial order" quote from somewhere.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

17. - Top - End - #377

Q 195

Can you combine the Natural Bond feat (CAdv) with Wild Cohort so that you can take alternative companions at the same level a druid could?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

A 195

By RAW, no. Natural Bond applies only to Animal Companions. Despite some similarities in function, a Wild Cohort is not an Animal Companion.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q196 Are spellcasters affected by their own illusions? If you cast something like nightmare terrain which grants concealment regardless of the save to disbelieve, are you affected by it as well?
    Last edited by Keneth; 2012-02-24 at 05:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Q197
    If you have a wand of create magic tattoo, are the 3 tiers of effects governed by the CL of the wand, or the CL of the user? The wording seems vague enough to allow the user's CL to determine the level of effect (contrary to usual rules on casting from wands), because the magic is conducted through the Craft skill of making the tattoo - which is being a drawn by the user.

Q198
    How do you calculate the cost for an Eternal Wand of a spell that has a material component? Normal wands build in the full cost per charge, but eternal wands don't quite fit. Not sure if this is addressed in MIC, but it's not in the Eberron core book.

DMG guidelines suggest that an item with limited uses per day should have the material cost figured according to: Costs of 50 charges / (5 / uses per day). In theory, that would make the cost of an eternal wand of create magic tattoo at minimum caster level cost SL (2) * CL(3) * 750 = 4500gp for the spell + Material cost (100gp) * 50 (charges) / (5 / 2 per day, as an eternal wand) = 2000gp. 6500gp total.

Is there a guidlines elsewhere for eternal wands with material components? And if not, does my math correctly adhere to the recommendations for creating magic items?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A 198
    MIC does not address nor deny the use of expensive material components in the construction of a eternal wand.
    The cost to create a eternal wand is listed and the same in both ECS and MIC and is a bit different than the default calculations.

A formula for GP crafting cost works out as 1/2*(100+720*SL*CL)
    {50 is for the shard}

I think it would make sense that a cost for expensive material components should be included if allowed.

The following is not RAW but I would say that you would need 48 doses of material components for a eternal wand (720/750) and potentially price the crafting of the wand you have at .5*(100+2*3*720)+4800=7010 and market price of 9220.

Of course it can cast infinite number of times so it may be intended that eternal wands can not use expenisive material components but on the other hand several of the spells may use components so it would have to conserve the use of a component much the same as an expensive component (or a spell component pouch is manufactured into it)
    Last edited by hydraa; 2012-02-24 at 06:01 PM. Reason: updated with crafting cost and answered rest of question

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 197

The crafter of a wand always determines the caster level of the effect.

23. - Top - End - #383

ElfRangerGuy

Q 199 Regarding Perform and Diplomacy does the epic use of perform imply that you can use it as Diplomacy to change people attitude or do you need to roll the result to be fanatic specifically?

Q 199b If you can use Perform that way can you use Perform (weapondrill) from complete warrior (page 121)?
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-02-25 at 06:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Q200

Anyone notice the 15-foot cone in DMG is different than Draconomicon? I think that the draconomicon one is RIGHT RAW (and the RAW I'm talking about comes from the PHB).

Sources:
    PHB (pg. 175)
    DMG (pg. 307)
    Draconomicon (pg. 63)

Can someone tell me which 15 foot cone is the correct one?

Here is my current conundrum:
    Spoiler
    Show

The DMG has a 15 foot cone looking like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

But the above cone is not a "rule" written in the DMG. It's just an example; that is... it's what the designers intended for the rule to say.

Here is what the rules, as they are written, indicate:
    Spoiler
    Show

"A cone-shaped spell shoots away from you in a quarter-circle in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and widens out as it goes.

Applying RAW:
    Step 1: It starts from any corner of your square. It shoots out in the direction you designate.
    Spoiler
    Show

Step 2: It's a quarter-circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Step 3: In D&D the first diagonal distance is five feet. The second is ten feet. Thus we can limit the cone
    Spoiler
    Show

But the first image and the last image are clearly different. And I can't find any way RAW to make the cone in the DMG.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2012-02-25 at 09:42 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Q201

Does the spell Opalescent Glare from SpC *really* give you a gaze attack that kills weak evil creatures and Fears anyone else with a one-time casting of that spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A201 Although it does say that it's inspired by a gaze attack, it doesn't really give you a gaze attack. It's just a single-target spell that fears stronger creature that fail a save for 2d10 rounds. I doubt you'll be wasting a 5th level spell to kill a <5HD creature so that's just a perk.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Q202
    To masterwork a shield, you have to pay 150 gold. Do I have to pay another 300 gold to masterwork it as a weapon, or do I pay another 150 gold?
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

28. - Top - End - #388

Q203

Will those stack?
    - gnomish +1 to DC of illusions
    - spell focus and greater spell focus (illusions)
    - Robe of arcane might (+1 to DC of spells from one school - illusions)
    - Shadow Weave Magic

If it won't stack please tell me which modifiers won't add up.
    "The proper term is, 'Smite Evil,' not, 'Bump Uglies'." - Miko

"I am somewhat preoccupied telling the Laws of Physics to shut up and sit down." - Vaarsuvius

Avatar by one and only Bradakhan!

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

A203
    They all stack because all the bonuses are untyped aside from the robe of arcane might which is a competence bonus, competence bonuses and untyped bonuses stack.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A202
    You can't masterwork shields as a weapon. You only use the armour masterwork rules.
    Thus you pay 150 gp and get -1 acp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Q202
    To masterwork a shield, you have to pay 150 gold. Do I have to pay another 300 gold to masterwork it as a weapon, or do I pay another 150 gold?
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-26 at 06:22 AM.