New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

A328
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon 313, Spellhoarding Template
    Wizard Casting: A spellhoarding dragon prepares and casts spells as a wizard, not a sorcerer.
    Q329
    Would a Caster/Caster multiclass gain bonus spells due to high ability scores for both of the classes?
    Last edited by jywu98; 2012-03-09 at 08:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

A 328
    All spell progression is as per the wizard class. (It may be worth noting that Spellhoarding is LA: - rather than LA: +0.)

A 329
    Bonus spells apply individually to every spell progression that qualifies. There could, theoretically, be a class that lacks a version of the bold text here:
    Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.
    Such a class would then not gain bonus spells. I'm not sure if that ever occurred.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q330:

Mind Switch states that I gain the type of the creature I swap minds with. Do I also gain their subtypes?

For example, if I Mind Switch with a Pit Fiend, I gain the Outsider Type. Do I also gain the [Evil] and [Lawful] subtypes?

Q331:

Does the Undetectable Alignment spell stop subtypes from pinging on Detect spells? If I were a Demon and I cast Undetectable Alignment on myself, would I still Detect as Chaotic and Evil due to my subtypes?
    Last edited by kardar233; 2012-03-09 at 09:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    A 326
    I have not checked the math personally, but I've heard that monster skills were often copied from their 3.0 version without checking that they conformed to 3.5's revised skill system. 3.5 rules would apply to any skills gained through further advancement, even if they cannot be used to generate the existing modifiers. The riding dog, for example, would gain 2 skill points.
    Continuation

After staring at the base statics of the riding dog, I realized my error. To elborate for everyone else I've posted the breakdown below.

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot the 40 movement speed imparts a bonus to your jump check, as well as the alertness feat providing a +2 on spot and listen.

The animals skills are presented as: Jump +8 , Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3 and Survival +1. Jump still seems wrong, as it should be 4 racial, 4 speed, and 2 str. Listen is +1 modifier, Alertness +2, and 2 ranks. Spot is also +1 modifier, Alertness +2, and 2 ranks. Swim is a +2 modifer and 1 rank. Survival is simply a +1 modifer.

This anmial appearently does follow the normal skill rules for animals with 2 hd and an int of 2. Jump still seems off.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

5. - Top - End - #575
    Orc in the Playground

A 330

Unless there is something I don't know about subtypes, no.
    Polymorph specifies when you change you gain type and subtypes, and as Mind Switch only states that you gain the type, I would assume that you do not gain the subtypes.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 332

What is the purpose of discipline-related weapons in ToB? Do they only enable the usage of certain feats (Blade Meditation, Shadowblade etc.)? Do you need to use disciple-related weapons to initiate maneuvers of a particular discipline?

Q 333

Is the initiator of a white raven maneuver/stance allied with himself?

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 331

Undetectable Alignment functions as described. It prevents detection of alignment, not subtypes, from all divinations. Detect Evil would detect an Evil subtype creature regardless of alignment, a Cleric of an Evil deity regardless of alignment, and an Undead creature regardless of alignment. Adding Undetectable Alignment does not change any of the above; it simply removes creatures of Evil alignment (but without other such Evil-flagged characteristics) from detection by Detect Evil. The same pattern applies to other alignments: it's only the actual alignments that Undetectable Alignment obscures from detection.

A 333 Generally yes.
    ally

A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to "allies" include yourself.
    If a maneuver refers to "allies", that includes the initiator unless specifically excluded. If a maneuver refers to "an ally", that generally means someone other than the initiator.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-03-10 at 03:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q334

If I use bull rush and knock a foe into a wall, how much if any damage do they take?

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Q335

If you are both a arcane and divine spellcaster and you have Epic Spellcasting, can you cast both arcane and divine Epic spells, or do you have to pick one? For that matter, do the Epic spell slots stack, or do you take one total or the other?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

A335

Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Epic Spellcasting
    If you meet more than one set of prerequisites, the limit on the number of spells you may cast per day is cumulative.
    Since the epic spells themselves are neither explicitly divine nor arcane, which slot type is used either depends on which skill you used to research them, or you can use all of them.

11. - Top - End - #581

OldWizardGuy

A334 Unless you have taken Dungeon Crasher from Dungeonscape then you deal no damage.

Q336 Can the Lurk's(CP) additional sneak attack ability qualify for prestige classes that require sneak attack?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry if this question's been answered, tl;dr ed through most of the thread
    Q337:What immortal races are there?
    Last edited by ninjamaster1991; 2012-03-10 at 11:03 AM. Reason: wrong number

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

A337
    Try Elan (can be found in SRD).
    Q338
    How does being in a grapple affect Spell-Like and Psi-Like Abilities?

14. - Top - End - #584
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Q 339Do temporary fluctuations to ability scores cause feats to no longer function?

Specifically, could a character take a feat that had a certain STR requirement, polymorph into a creature with a lower STR, and still take advantage of the feat?

(I'm contemplating a Tibbit with Knockdown)
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-03-10 at 11:48 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

15. - Top - End - #585

OldWizardGuy

Q340 If I miss an attack due to cover, do I damage the cover instead?

16. - Top - End - #586
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    Q340 If I miss an attack due to cover, do I damage the cover instead?
    A340 No. Attacks that miss do not impact any other target.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

17. - Top - End - #587
    Orc in the Playground

A 336
    Yes.

A 337 (Continued)
    I'm not aware of any truly immortal races, just very long lived ones.

A 338
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.
    You will still need to make a concentration check though.

A 339
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    Last edited by Isenvrill; 2012-03-10 at 12:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Halfling in the Playground

Q341 Can I use the wolf fang strike maneuver in order to get two melee touch attacks to initiate a grapple?
    Q342 Can I use the shadow blade maneuver for the melee touch attack when initiating a grapple so as to get two rolls?

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Q343: Is there any way to qualify for feats that require an Evil alignment without actually being Evil? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Ordered Chaos feat, but for Evil.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 341 No.

You must fight with two weapons to use Wolf Fang Strike. You only have a single unarmed strike, absent special exceptions like the one granted by the City Brawler Barbarian alternative class feature (Dragon # 349, page 92).

A 342 No.

A touch attack is not a weapon. Also, Shadow Blade Technique requires a normal melee attack, not a touch attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Blade Technique
    As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack against an opponent.
    A 336 Practically speaking, no.

The Lurk has sneak attack only in the interval between activating their Additional Sneak Attack augment and their next attack. But advancing to the next level commences immediately upon attaining the necessary XP. From Player's Handbook on page 58:
    Advancing a Level: When your character’s XP total reaches at least the minimum XP needed for a new character level (see Table 3–2), he or she “goes up a level.”
    There is no delay, and no time to prepare, before the Lurk "goes up a level". The Lurk could qualify for a class which requires sneak attack only in the event that they had powered that augment, but not yet used it, at the instant when they earned the necessary XP. The entry requirements must be met each time the Lurk wishes to advance a level in a class; Step 1. Choose Class of the level advancement sequence dictates that.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-03-10 at 04:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q344 - How do I modify weapon ranges if the attacker is high up on a cliff / hill? For an example, if a longbow can shoot 100ft, how far could the longbowman shoot if he was on a 30ft tower?

Q345 - The bard/wizard/sorcerer lvl 4 spell Rainbow Pattern says: "Rainbow pattern fascinates a maximum of 24 Hit Dice of creatures." so if I was to cast it on thirty lvl 1 simple commoners, the closest 24 would be affected, now say 4 of them made their saves and weren't fascinated, would the spell try to affect 4 new HD of people from amongst the remaining 6 commoners who each would also get a save?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions or questions answered already
    Dumplings and parrots.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q346
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon 349, Chameleon Crafting
    Benefit: You can place any spell or power that you know into any items you create. The item crafted determines if the effect is magical or psionic. ... The XP cost for an item created with this feat costs 1.5 times the item's standard XP cost.
    Through this, would a manifesting character be able to learn spells from Expanded Knowledge?

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 344
    Measuring Distance

Diagonals
    : When measuring distance, the first diagonal counts as 1 square, the second counts as 2 squares, the third counts as 1, the fourth as 2, and so on.
    Because of the D&D movement rules, you'll need to figure the total distance the arrow needs to move to get to the target. There is no bonus for making ranged attacks from higher elevation. Similarly, there is no penalty for firing at a target above you.

A 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Pattern
    Effect: Colorful lights with a 20-ft.-radius spread
    The spell potentially affects all creatures in that 20' radius. You start with the nearest, and continue until you've reached either the 20' radius or 24 HD of creatures have been affected. Creatures making their saving throws are unaffected and thus you move on to the next nearest.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Because of the D&D movement rules, you'll need to figure the total distance the arrow needs to move to get to the target. There is no bonus for making ranged attacks from higher elevation. Similarly, there is no penalty for firing at a target above you.
    While this is true per the rules, the real-world physics on this topic actually turn out to be remarkably simple: If you're at a higher elevation than your target, your maximum range (measured three-dimensionally) is increased by the height difference, and if you're at a lower elevation, your maximum range is decreased by the height difference. Thus, if a weapon has a maximum range of 100' on a flat plane, and you're shooting it from atop a 20' tower, you could reach a range of 120'. And if you're directly below your target, you can't hit it unless its height above you is less than half your normal maximum range. And if you're directly above your target, you can always hit it, since your total range is guaranteed to be greater than the distance.

Since the real-world physics is so obligingly simple, it would make a very reasonable houserule.

Q347: If a character with more than one arcane spellcasting class takes the Incantatrix prestige class, to what class does the Focused Studies limitation apply? Does it apply to all classes, or can the character choose one? And if the latter, can the character use the "+1 level of existing arcane class" to progress a different class from the one that Focused Studies applied to?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 347

The only limit of the Incantatrix Focused Studies class feature is that the chosen school cannot be Abjuration or Divination; it applies to all spellcasting classes ─ even divine spellcasting classes.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-03-10 at 06:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596

Q348:
    So I feel like a total noob for asking this, and I am with psionics. What does this mean when it lists "astral construct I, astral construct II, and astral construct III" as separate powers? I'm looking and Astral construct only shows up as one power. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Suddo; 2012-03-10 at 09:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

A 348
    The Constructor is a 3.0 era prestige class; in 3.0 psionics, Astral Construct was spread out over multiple powers like Summon Monster is for core magic.

28. - Top - End - #598

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    A 348
    The Constructor is a 3.0 era prestige class; in 3.0 psionics, Astral Construct was spread out over multiple powers like Summon Monster is for core magic.
    Q348.A:
    Is there a decent way of house ruling it into 3.5?
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 348

What you missed was the date: 07/27/2002. That places this Wizards of the Coast article solidly in 3.0 D&D time, which is why the powers don't align with the 3.5 versions.
    This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.
    As this quote from the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide indicates, 3.0 content needs at least "minor adjustments" before it can be used in a 3.5 game. How, or if, a DM would allow that prestige class in their game is a matter for each individual DM to decide. This thread isn't the place to recommend house rules about those adjustments.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Orc in the Playground

A 337 Continued
    Elan
    Killoren (Races of the Wild)
    Warforged (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Monster 'races' often don't have listed age categories, and it is up to the DM to adjudicate them. According to this article, fey in a baseline campaign are mortal but a DM can vary this as appropriate.

There are various templates that may, or may not, give immortality: here is a list of some RAW, RAI and RAMS methods of attaining immortality. Note that Wedded to History is not a RAW method of attaining immortality - the author incorrectly assumed the a character receives the 'Endless' template as a result of getting the feat.

Awesome Avatar by TinyMushroom