New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12375253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2026
  1. - Top - End - #1831
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The example character is just one of many which does not follow the rules.
    or the rules aren't quite as you're describing them. A first level anything, with a template added to it by the DM in creation, doesn't automatically exchange its first level for a racial hit dice.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #1832
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I know it seems strange, but maybe we're looking at it from the wrong angle? Maybe you have to calculate the class first and then the race: you are a human, lose your RHD by being a Fighter and gains the outsider type, in that order? I mean, it is strange enough factoring class before race, but it is a way of looking at it.

It still doesn't explain how Aasimars and Tieflings would lose their RHD, though.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

3. - Top - End - #1833
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    or the rules aren't quite as you're describing them.
    I believe you're mistaken. Perhaps the "Sage Advice" answer by Andy Collins in Dragon # 326, page 102, will help here:
    Unless noted otherwise, all creatures (other than 1-HD humanoids) retain their racial HD when they gain class levels.
    Of course, the "noted otherwise" races include Pixies (Fey) and Andy missed that. That doesn't make his rules reference incorrect, though.

4. - Top - End - #1834

According to Savage Species (page 13):

"A creature with a single Hit Die, like all standard-race characters, gives up that Hit Die when it gains its first class level."

No "humanoids only" requirement there.

5. - Top - End - #1835
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"A creature with a single Hit Die, like all standard-race characters, gives up that Hit Die when it gains its first class level."

Savage Species is a pre-3.5 book, and all such material requires at least minor adjustments to be used in a 3.5 game (see DMG page 4). Also the Primary Sources Errata Rule decides all rules disagreements in favor of the 3.5 primary sources ─ in this case, the Monster Manual.

6. - Top - End - #1836
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but Savage Species is a 3.0 book, and may not have the most up to date rules on this. I believe that outsiders retain their initial hit die, as indicated on the SRD. The only type allowed on the SRD to exchange a racial hit die for a class hit die is humanoid.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #1837

It states that 1HD humanoids never get that racial hit dice and always exchange it for a class level.

It does not say that the reverse is the case for 1HD creatures that aren't humanoid, though- that they are "not allowed" to exchange that first Hit Dice.

And Savage Species was printed late enough in 3.0 that it was already making use of some of the changes that would later appear in 3.5.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2012-05-10 at 04:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1838
    Barbarian in the Playground

When you multiclass, I was under the assumption that the 2 on good saves gets lopped off if you already have gotten a 2, but I can't find that anywhere in the rules. Anyone got a reference or is this dumb RAW stuff?
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

9. - Top - End - #1839
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cute_Riolu View Post
    When you multiclass, I was under the assumption that the 2 on good saves gets lopped off if you already have gotten a 2, but I can't find that anywhere in the rules. Anyone got a reference or is this dumb RAW stuff?
    Actually, you get the bonus as written.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #1840
    Pixie in the Playground

My DM and I are having a disagreement here.

983) Question: Can the Twin Spell Feat be used on any of the summon monster spells to get double the creatures? Either 1 monster or 1d3 or 1d4+1, if the answer varies I would be curious.

Any clear, concise answers would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Jabberwocky12; 2012-05-11 at 06:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1841
    Banned

Re: A 980

From page 7 of Monster Manual V:
    CREATURES AS CHARACTERS
    If a creature offers exciting possibilities for play as a character, this section provides the statistics and level adjustment.
    The Shadow Flayer entry does not have the CREATURES AS CHARACTERS entry required for PC use.
    But what if the character offers boring opportunities for play?

I mean, if "exciting" is a rules consideration now....
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-11 at 09:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q982 (by my count): Can a Tibbit Warblade in cat form use martial maneuvers? (specifically, White Raven Tactics) If not, would a Pearl of Speech make it work?
    (by extension, I believe this applies to other non-humanoid forms lacking either hand-like limbs or the ability to speak)

13. - Top - End - #1843
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 982 No.
    You can inspire your allies to astounding feats of martial prowess. With a few short orders, you cajole them into seizing the initiative and driving back the enemy.
    A tibbit's cat form is unable to speak or use her paws to manipulate fine objects.
    When you place a pearl of speech upon your tongue (a standard action), it is absorbed into your mouth until you speak the proper command word to release it. While absorbed, the pearl grants you the ability to speak and understand a specific language, such as Dwarven or Draconic.
    White Raven Tactics requires speaking "a few short orders", but as soon as a Tibbit assumes cat form they lose the ability to do so. In cat form a Tibbit cannot manipulate fine objects like a Pearl of Speech, which the user must do to activate it (place it upon their tongue).

Some other magic to overcome the cat form's limitations might allow White Raven Tactics use, but this one is inadequate.

14. - Top - End - #1844
    Ettin in the Playground

Couldn't the Tibbit put the pearl on its tongue before shapeshifting?

15. - Top - End - #1845
    Banned

Or order a minion to do it, or simply pick the pearl up with its teeth and hold it in its mouth. The text only specifies that fine objects can't be manipulated with the paws, not that they can't be manipulated at all.

16. - Top - End - #1846
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 982
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Couldn't the Tibbit put the pearl on its tongue before shapeshifting?
    The magical transformation to cat form renders the Tibbit incapable of speech. Having magic that in Humanoid form allows speaking an extra language is irrelevant once the transformation overrides speaking entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Or order a minion to do it, or simply pick the pearl up with its teeth and hold it in its mouth.
    Ordering a minion would be rather difficult, since the whole issue is about being unable to give orders. But having the Pearl of Speech placed on the tongue by others does not meet the requirement for the user to place it on their own tongue to activate it. And in general:
    She cannot cast spells with a verbal or somatic component, use scrolls, or otherwise activate magic items.
    A Pearl of Speech is a magic item with a user activation requirement, and a Tibbit in cat form cannot activate magic items.

Some other magic to overcome the cat form's limitations might allow White Raven Tactics use, but no magic item that requires the Tibbit to activate it will work.

I should have included the above red quote in my original answer, since being unable to activate any magic items obviously makes considerations of the minutiae of activation procedures irrelevant. I apologize for this omission.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-11 at 06:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1847

RE: A982
    The Pearl of Speech doesn't require activation, it's just a command word to deactivate it, if I read it correctly.

I notice you're assuming that giving orders requires speech. Couldn't you gesture, for instance? Or meow energetically? In fact, the part you quoted (about "a few short orders") seems like fluff to me. Otherwise couldn't I also say that the "seizing the initiative and driving back the enemy" part also indicates that by RAW, you allies all climb to the top of the initiative ladder and that all your enemies automatically suffer the effects of a Bull Rush?

edit: I'm just curious at this point. I'm satisfied with a character carrying a Pearl of Speech and dropping it to the ground in human form, picking it up with his mouth in cat form (regardless of how strictly RAW can be read).
    Last edited by ILM; 2012-05-11 at 07:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1848
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    I don't want to derail the thread too much, but Savage Species is a 3.0 book, and may not have the most up to date rules on this. I believe that outsiders retain their initial hit die, as indicated on the SRD. The only type allowed on the SRD to exchange a racial hit die for a class hit die is humanoid.
    That is why I created another thread to discuss this question, this is a RAW-only, Q&A thread, after all Anyways, sorry for that.

Q984: This is a bit of a continuation of my last question.

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class.
    That seems to suggest that these creatures always do have a RHD to lose. Does this mean that I can make a "classless" 1HD human with only one humanoid hit die?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

19. - Top - End - #1849
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 984

Yes, you can. However, 1 HD humans are typically are represented by using an NPC class instead.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

20. - Top - End - #1850
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 982
    Quote Originally Posted by ILM View Post
    The Pearl of Speech doesn't require activation, it's just a command word to deactivate it, if I read it correctly.
    When you place a pearl of speech upon your tongue (a standard action), it is absorbed into your mouth until you speak the proper command word to release it.
    As always, the text description takes precedent over header entries where there's a conflict. The "─" in the Activation header is incorrect. A Pearl of Speech operates continuously after activation. A cat grabbing an item with its mouth would be using Manipulate an Item (a move action), which would not satisfy the activation criterion even if the Tibbet in cat form were not prohibited from activating all magic items.

21. - Top - End - #1851
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 985: I'm having trouble understanding the range increases here. If I have a Bone Bow, that has had Dragonbone, Long Range, and I have Far Shot feat, and I use a Lowri's Arrows.

For Info:

Dragonbone and Long Range give + 20 feet each, Far Shot is +50%, and Lowri's Arrows have a +10 ft increase.

If i am reading it right, it should be, 120+20+20+10*1.5, which equals 255?

And if I swap it out for Flight arrows which are *1.25 to range, does it become:

(120+20+20)(1.25)(1.5), which equals 300ft.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

22. - Top - End - #1852
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 985

(Note: Citing sources would help with your questions. It took me a while to track down long-range in Dragon # 358, page 42.)

A bone bow (Frostburn, page 75) cannot "have Dragonbone" (Dragconomicon, page 117).
    Bone Bow: This powerful and oversized bow is designed to fire exceptionally large arrows specially made for it. Made of the bones and sinews of huge animals such as woolly mammoths and dire rhinoceroses
    Dragonbone Bow: A bow carved from a single bone of a dragon
    Dragons and Animals are distinct D&D creature types.
    When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead.
    Except for trying to combine incompatible materials, the arithmetic is straightforward as you've essayed. Pick components that work together and use normal math.

23. - Top - End - #1853
    Banned

Having magic that in Humanoid form allows speaking an extra language is irrelevant once the transformation overrides speaking entirely.
    You're probably right about that part, but for the record,...

Ordering a minion would be rather difficult, since the whole issue is about being unable to give orders.
    "Okay Igor, after I turn into cat form, I'll open my cat-mouth and you put the pearl on my cat-tongue."

But having the Pearl of Speech placed on the tongue by others does not meet the requirement for the user to place it on their own tongue to activate it.
    Very, very hair-splitty, but you're Mr. Technicalities, I get that, so okay this is the 100% RAW answer. Now, everyone else, join me in encouraging ILM to ignore it (or convince his DM to do so).

Q986
    Does a (Fort/Ref/Will) Saving Throw count as a (CON/DEX/WIS) Check? Specifically, does an Illumian with the power sigils UUR and HOON get +2 to all saving throws? (UUR adds +2 to all Dexterity checks, and HOON to all Constitution and Wisdom checks.)

Q987
    The text of the druid's Animal Companion ability lists Crocodile as an alternative choice for druids in a campaign where the environment is mostly aquatic, but in the sidebar on the next page Crocodile is listed among alternative companions for druids of 4th level or greater, which gain abilities as the druid's level -3, with a footnote saying "aquatic only". So does this mean that the 4th-level druid's crocodile companion loses abilities when he's away from water? What about a 3rd-level companion; does the crocodile just abandon him if he goes inland, and rejoin him if he comes close to the water again? Or is one of the mentions of crocodile a misprint, and if so which one?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-11 at 10:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1854
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks and sorry curm.

i will ask my dm about bending the rules for that.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

25. - Top - End - #1855
    Ettin in the Playground

A 986

No. Those are saving throws not Dex/CON Checks, just as skill checks aren't Dex checks even though some skills add the Dex Modifier to the skill ranks.

Attribute checks are those rolls that only add an attribute modifier to the roll of a D20.

A 987

I assume this is simply a mistake. There is however a rule for handling this in the Errata document:
    When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry.
    So if your DM deems the campaign takes place mostly in or under water, a druid can have a crocodile at level 1.

What's weird though is that the giant crocodile can even be taken by a druid that has never been near a large body of water, if he has 7 levels or more.

26. - Top - End - #1856
    Ogre in the Playground

Q988
    Is a construct creature such as a golem or Nimblewright(MMII) able to function in an anti-magic field or dead magic area? Discussion is that constructs such as these are created via the craft construct feat in a similar manner as permanent magical items.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

27. - Top - End - #1857
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 988 Yes.

While magic is used to create such Constructs, there is no necessary intrinsic magic in the Construct type. They will lose all magic including Supernatural and Spell-like abilities in an Antimagic Field or dead magic zone (as with any other creature) but will continue all non-magical functions.

28. - Top - End - #1858
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q989

On Flight.

If you can hover (good flight or better) can you "Take a 5foot step" for free?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

29. - Top - End - #1859

SolithKnightGuy

Q990
    Decided to ask here rather than directly in the forum thus taking up space :) although it may not be a simple question/answer.

Im trying to identify a monster.. Heres my info:
    She is a spider, intilligent, able to restrain herself from attacking unlike other vermin. But perhaps she has some kind of power over spidervermin.
    She can take humanform, or it might be the other way around.
    As for other info, dunno if its relevant or specific for this "npc" or if its a named monster, she has experienced a terrible loss of some kind, and this one or she is called Ysendra.
    Does anyone have an idea what kind of monster im facing?

30. - Top - End - #1860
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 989 Yes, depending.

Perfect maneuverability allows an aerial 5' step in any direction. Good maneuverability allows an aerial 5' step horizontally or downward. Upward movement is not possible because half speed only lets you move 2.5' instead of 5', which means you cannot leave the current 5' cube.

Revised because I misread the question. Thank you, douglas, for pointing that out.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-11 at 06:26 PM.