New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    If that were true, what's to stop you from using any other effects while activating a wand such metamagic rods? I'm pretty sure that it was clarified somewhere in the rules that using a wand is not equivalent to casting a spell, although I can't be arsed to look for it right now.
    A 125

This explicit rule on page 136 of Rules Compendium:
    The modifications made by metamagic feats apply only to spells cast directly by the feat user. A spellcaster can’t use a metamagic feat to alter a spell being cast from a wand, scroll, or other device.
    Even without Rules Compendium, semantics would handle the issue for wands. While wand use is described as casting a spell, that doesn't make the wand user a caster. The wand crafter sets the caster level when they create the item.
    A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder.
    While that addresses the issue with wands, the problem remains with staffs for the case where the staff wielder has a higher caster level than the staff crafter and can thus qualify as both casting the spell and being the caster determining the spell effect. For that, the Rules Compendium rule is the only easy remedy.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-13 at 09:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Q127

If a cleric who has 18 int casts owls wisdom on himself, for the duration of the spell, he has an unprepared 1st and 2nd level spell. Can he, for the duration of the spell, spontaneously convert these unprepared spells into cure spells?

Im thinking probably not because the text says they can "'lose' any *prepared* spell" and the extra spells in question are unprepared slots.

If it wouldnt work with a cleric, would it work with a spontaneous caster such as favoured soul or sorcerer (or psion with temporary powerpoints)?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 127 No.

Those would be bonus spells, and expressly excluded in the spell description.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl's Wisdom
    Clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers (and other Wisdom-based spellcasters) who receive owl’s wisdom do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Wisdom, but the save DCs for their spells increase.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q 128
    Can a Spellwarp Sniper with Sorcerer (or other spontaneous) entry apply Split Ray or other ray-specific metamagic to spellwarped spells? Also, just to confirm, Wizards are hosed unless they can apply metamagic on the fly somehow, correct?

Possibly relevant text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Via Spellwarp Sniper:
    You can alter the form of certain area spells into rays as you cast them.
    Via PHB:
    But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 125

This explicit rule on page 136 of Rules Compendium:

Even without Rules Compendium, semantics would handle the issue for wands. While wand use is described as casting a spell, that doesn't make the wand user a caster. The wand crafter sets the caster level when they create the item.
    While that addresses the issue with wands, the problem remains with staffs for the case where the staff wielder has a higher caster level than the staff crafter and can thus qualify as both casting the spell and being the caster determining the spell effect. For that, the Rules Compendium rule is the only easy remedy.
    I don't believe that answers the question, the text you quote specifically mentions feats and not rods, unless I'm missing something?

Edit: oh that's what I'm missing, just checked my DMG, its not so much a meta-magic rod as a meta-magic feat rod. The rod specifically grants you the use of the feat, rather than just being its own reason for modifying the spell. So the feat and the rod are basically the same thing.

Also, I'm not sure what you are getting at with the semantics, if you are casting a spell surely that makes you a caster? Even the items themselves are described as "spell completion". You require the ability to cast the spell or you lack the ability to use the wand. The wand just represents stored power.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-02-14 at 05:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 129

I have heard of Aptitude weapons (ToB) being used with feats such as Lightning Mace, and by my interpretation of the enchantment and feat, it all checks out. In a similar line of logic, could the Lightning Mace feat be applied to someone wielding a single greatsword in two hands? (It calls for a "light mace" held in each hand, so does one in both count as one in each?) And secondly, could a feat such as Axespike bee used with one Aptitude weapon? For instance, a fighter with Axespike makes a Full Attack with his greatsword, counting it as a greataxe, and as a result gets an extra attack with his "armor spikes," which would also be the greatsword. This would of course be impractical, since it would require Weapon Focus in light maces and armor spikes respectively (unless Aptitude can mess with that too.)

Edit: Looked at Aptitude enchantment again, now I'm wondering, does it have to be a feat applied to a specific weapon, like weapon focus, or could something applied to a weapon group, like Slashing flurry, work just as well? Or applying Hand Crossbow Focus (Drow of the Underdark, +1 to attack and reload as a free action) to a heavy crossbow, or even Rapid Reload of Weapon Finesse to the wrong kinds of weapons?
    Last edited by Crocodactyl; 2012-02-14 at 05:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 129

By my reading of the RAW, aptitude does not apply to Lightning Mace.
    Effect: A wielder who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, or the like, can apply the benefits of those feats to any weapon that has the aptitude quality.
    Applicability of aptitude is dependent on deciphering "or the like". For that, we look at the example feats to determine what other feats may be like them.
    Weapon Focus [General]

Choose one type of weapon.
    Greater Weapon Focus [General]

Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected Weapon Focus.
    Weapon Specialization [General]

Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected the Weapon Focus feat.
    Lightning Mace [Style]

You are a master of fighting with two maces at the same time, and have learned to strike your foes with lightning speed.

Benefit: Whenever you roll a threat on an attack roll while using a light mace in each hand ...
    Feats which are of the "choose a type of weapon" pattern and thus clearly like the examples include Exotic Weapon Proficiency [General], Greater Weapon Specialization [General], Improved Critical [General], Martial Weapon Proficiency [General], Rapid Reload [General], Devastating Critical [Epic], Epic Weapon Focus [Epic], Epic Weapon Specialization [Epic], Instant Reload [Epic], and Overwhelming Critical [Epic].

For further clarification of the language used in the aptitude weapon property we can look at the Weapon Aptitude class features of the Warblade and Bloodstorm Blade classes which aptitude emulates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodstorm Blade
    Weapon Aptitude (Ex): Your training with a wide range of weaponry and tactics allows you the opportunity to gain great skill with particular weapons. ...
    Each morning, you can spend 1 hour practicing and change the weapons selected for any feat you have that applies only to a single chosen weapon.
    From all the examples given, and the other uses of "aptitude" in Tome of Battle, choosing a type of weapon is required for a feat to benefit from the aptitude weapon property. The Lightning Mace feat does not allow any choice of weapon, and thus the benefit of that feat does not apply to aptitude weapons.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Q. 130

2-part question about Ring of Force Shield

1. Do I lose the shield bonus while attacking with a 2-handed weapon as if it were a physical shield?
    2. How is the 8,500 gp cost derived? I would think that it would draw from the cost of an AC bonus (a +2 shield bonus, in this case):

"AC Bonus (other)" would be (n^2)*2,500 for 10,000 gp
      "AC Bonus (deflection)" would only by (n^2)*2,000 for 8,000 gp

Maybe the cost of the physical ring is 500 gp? I noticed that in more obvious cases, sometimes an extra cost is included (Ring of Feather Fall is 2,200 gp: Spell level 1 * CL 1 * 2000, plus an extra 200? It ignores the x4 factor for the duration of the spell, but oh well :-P), and sometimes it's not (Ring of Jumping is 2,500 or 10,000 gp for a +5 or +10 bonus, respectively. Maybe it's made out of a melted down copper piece?)

The reason I ask is because I'm interested in creating a similar item and want to make sure the cost is balanced the same way. Maybe one that gives a +1 Shield bonus for 1,500 gp. Or, if I wanted to make a "Ring of Shield" (as the spell), it looks like it would only be 4,000 gp [Spell level 1 * CL 1 * 2000 * 2 (duration factor)], but that's obviously not right. I guess the cost of AC bonus trumps the cost of a spell effect.

I would apologize for all the math, but I suspect that the people who answer questions on this thread enjoy math.
    For a sleek and simple battle grid for PbP, check out EZ PbP! You can edit the terrain, and have your players update their own coordinates on the map! PM me with comments or questions!

Shyguy taken from Yoshi's Island. Sword and shield from LttP. Both are ©Nintendo

9. - Top - End - #249
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Reposting from the previous page:
    Q113
    If a character has multiple casting classes capable of casting Animate Dead, does that character have a separate control pool for each class or only one control pool?

E.g. with a Cleric 10/Wizard 10, can one control 40HD of undead with cleric-cast spells and 40HD of undead with wizard cast spells; or 40HD of undead regardless of which class cast Animate Dead; or 80HD of undead regardless of which class cast Animate Dead.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 131

Okay, I've seen this mentionned in a thread about means to gain early-entry in a prestige class, which have a tendency to be silly (since no sane DM is going to allow it anyway, so why bother), but I got to ask about this one:

With the Versatile Spellcaster feat, "You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher."

Would this allow a spontaneous caster to cast a spell increased by a metamagic feat at the cost of two lower-level spell slot? Including one that would be the equivalent of a spell slot one level above the maximum spell level the sorcerer can cast?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2012-02-14 at 02:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 130

1. Yes.
    Force Shield: An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC).
    You can wield the force shield as you would a heavy shield, with the same benefits and limitations.
    A heavy shield is so heavy that you can’t use your shield hand for anything else.
    2. By actual worth.

The first rule of pricing custom magic items is this, from page 282 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
    The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide.
    You've already found your model item, and that's what you should follow. Because the DMG also states:
    Each of the magic items presented here was examined and modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point.

12. - Top - End - #252

Q132 Does the dexterity bonus from a cat's grace potion apply to someone's mirror images too ? (mirror images have base +dex AC)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q133
    Quote Originally Posted by MM5, Shaedling
    Shadow Gossamer (Ex) As a swift action, a shaedling can generate a 15-pound or lighter item out of shadow gossamer, and it usually crafts a weapon just before attacking. A shaedling is proficient with any weapon it creates from shadow gossamer, and such weapons have a range increment 10 feet longer than usual. Shields constructed of this substance have their armor check penalty lessened by 1. Shadow gossamer implements dissipate to nothingness if they leave the hands of a shaedling for longer than 1 round.
    Strictly by RAW (including any relevant errata), can this create magic items- say, a +5 Vorpal Longsword? What about artifacts, like the Deck of Many Things?
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 132 Yes.

That answer assumes the Cat's Grace takes effect before the Mirror Image spell is cast, when all the parameters of the figments are determined.

A 133 No.

To create any magic weapon under the rules a creature must have the Craft Magic Arms And Armor feat, must start with a provided masterwork weapon, must spend one day for each 1,000 gp in the price of its magical features, and the creator’s caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus of the weapon. The Shadow Gossamer ability does not provide for creating items of masterwork quality, and as a swift action cannot satisfy the crafting time requirement. Shaedlings also do not have the necessary feat, nor do they have a caster level. See Dungeon Master's Guide on pages 285-286 for more details on the rules for creating magic weapons.

There are no means to create artifacts in the rules; see Dungeon Master's Guide on page 277.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-15 at 11:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Spamalot in the Playground

Q 134a and b

Greater Concealing Amorpha is a metacreativity effect that provides total concealment, and lacks the disclaimers that displacement has. Questions:
    a) Can you be targeted while it is up, or do enemies have to target your square?
    b) Can it be pierced by True Seeing (either version)?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 134 a) No.

The quasi-real membrane is visible, but your position inside it is completely concealed. Enemies can target the square but not you.

A 134 b) No.

True Seeing can pierce illusions, but the film covering you is partially real rather than an illusion. True Seeing does not confer X-ray vision to see through the film, and doesn't negate the total concealment it provides. True Seeing will let the observer see the membrane clearly.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

Q. 135 a and b

Re: Wild Shape,
    a. if wild shaping into a critter that has an attack routine of one attack (say, a bite), and my BAB allows for multiple attacks. Do I make multiple bites as a full attack action?

b. and vice-versa, if I shapeshift into a form with multiple attack routine (say, bite/claw/claw), but my BAB only allows for one attack normally, do I only get one attack as a full attack action?

Thanks in advance!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

A 135: Natural weapons work differently from manufactured weapons. If all you have is natural weapons, you either make a single attack with your primary weapon, or a full attack consisting of one attack with each of your natural weapons. A creature with a bite and two claws makes one bite attack and two claw attacks with a full attack, regardless of its BAB.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q136

For a multi-classed ToB character could they learn the same maneuver twice once for each class?

ie. crusader/warblade taking white raven tactics with each class

20. - Top - End - #260
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 134 a) No.

The quasi-real membrane is visible, but your position inside it is completely concealed. Enemies can target the square but not you.

A 134 b) No.

True Seeing can pierce illusions, but the film covering you is partially real rather than an illusion. True Seeing does not confer X-ray vision to see through the film, and doesn't negate the total concealment it provides. True Seeing will let the observer see the membrane clearly.
    Excellent, thank you. *rubs hands gleefully*

Then Q134c, d and e:
    c) Does it enable sneak attacks for its duration (both melee and ranged?)
    d) Are you safe from attacks of opportunity while it is up?
    e) Can you make Hide checks while out in the open?
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-02-15 at 07:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #261

Q137

I remember noticing that oozes have damage reduction x/bludgeoning, but I can't seem to find that in the MM or online. Do oozes have any sort of this damage reduction? It would make sense, considering slashing and piercing weapons wouldn't be effective against it.

EDIT: I now notice that it is Mudmen that gain the damage reduction/bludgeoning. Is there any sort of vulnerabilities specific to oozes such as the gelatinous cube?
    Last edited by ajfonty; 2012-02-15 at 09:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

GreataxeFighterGuy

Q138

Anyone standing in the AoE of a Grease spell is considered flat-footed because they are balancing to stay upright.

However, if they fail their reflex save and fall prone, are they still considered flat-footed for determining whether or not SA applies?

Also, I know that when they make their Reflex save, they stay upright, and the general consensus here is that they are flat-footed anyway, but since they don't actually make a balance check until the next round so can we still say by RAW that they are balancing?
    "Make a smell check."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

A 138 partial:
    Standing in a Grease spell does not require a Balance check, just moving in it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 139

Can a high level Bloodstorm Blade count Weapon Focus in normally a non-thrown melee weapon such as Greatsword for the Weapon Focus (Any thrown/ranged weapon) requirement in certain feats and PrCs?

Q 140

Can the Bloodstorm Blade add bonuses to both ranged and melee attacks on a thrown weapon by RAW or is it either/or?
    Last edited by Crocodactyl; 2012-02-16 at 02:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 141

Do I need to see my destination when abrupt jaunting? Say I'm in a dugeon facing a closed door. May I abrupt jaunt inside the room without means of seeing what's there?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 139 No.

Your question isn't really about the Bloodstorm Blade, but rather their bonus feat Throw Anything:
    Benefit: You can throw a melee weapon you are proficient with as if it were a ranged weapon.
    The phrase "as if it were" makes it clear that it's still a melee weapon and is not treated as a ranged weapon for other purposes, such as prestige class entry requirements.

A 140 No.

If the Bloodstorm Blade elects to use Thunderous Throw, their ranged attacks with thrown weapons are treated as melee attacks. Consequently, only melee attack properties apply.

A 141 No.

That's not a requirement of the Immediate Magic ACF. If there's no clear space at your destination, your DM is free to decide what happens to you: immediate death as you merge with the obstruction, a mishap as specified in the Teleport spell, damage and return to your starting position, or whatever.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-16 at 03:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Q 142 Are you still entangled after you move out a web spell?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Q 143

If you become afflicted with Lycanthropy, I believe the animal HD are added "on top" of your existing class levels. I draw this conclusion from this:
    Skills
    A lycanthrope gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die of its animal form, as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. (Animal is never its first Hit Die, though, and it does not gain quadruple skill points for any animal Hit Die.) Any skill given in the animal’s description is a class skill for the lycanthrope’s animal levels. In any form, a lycanthrope also has any racial skill bonuses of the base creature and of the base animal, although conditional skill bonuses only apply in the associated form.
    Assuming I am correct, what happens if you received permanent level drain? Do you lose the animal HD before class levels? If you later level up again, can you replace the animal HD with class levels?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 142 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Web
    Effect: Webs in a 20-ft.-radius spread
    Creatures caught within a web become entangled among the gluey fibers.
    When you are no longer within the spread of gluey fibers of the Web spell you are no longer entangled.

A 143

You lose the most recent hit die/dice with permanent level drain; see "LEVEL LOSS" on page 296 of Dungeon Master's Guide.
    The character’s base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. A 2nd-level rogue, for example, normally has the evasion ability, but when she is drained to 1st level, she loses that ability. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable).
    Becoming a lycanthrope is very much like multiclassing as an animal and gaining the appropriate Hit Dice.
    Because you are treated as multiclassing as an animal, you lose any animal special "class" abilities associated with your lost level(s). Because there are no gradations of abilities gained with the lycanthropy template other than the animal hit dice, you retain only those benefits listed above (BAB, saving throw improvement, hit points, skill points, and feats from the remaining animal hit dice); Alternate Form and the other parts of the lycanthropy template will be gone.

This is the counterpart to gaining a great deal of capabilities immediately when you acquire lycanthropy: if you "break" the template through level loss, you also lose a great deal of capabilities immediately.

There is no requirement for you to re-add those animal hit dice when you gain new levels; you simply won't have the benefit of the lycanthropy template until you restore the needed animal HD.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-16 at 04:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Q144

By combining the Ronin class feature Banzai Charge, which lowers AC to increase damage, and the feat Shock Trooper, which does the same, is it possible to reach a negative AC value? If this were the case,or even if it reaches 0, would the character still be able to preform a full -subtraction power attack/Banzai charge? How does rolling-to hit work against a negative AC character?