New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5]Best Fighter Bonus feats

Hey all,

Just wondering what you guys consider to be some of the best Fighter bonus feats - whether you're getting them from Fighter levels, feat Rogue, simple variant Wizard or however, which feats do you think are the most worthwhile?

Obviously it will depend on your focus - tripper, charger, dungeon crasher etc.

Power Attack is pretty much essential for a melee type, and Improved Initiative is good for most everyone...

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Best Fighter Bonus feats

I'm fond of knockback if I'm playing a goliath. It's not a fighter bonus feat and requires a barbarian dip, but I also like to throw in rampaging bull rush with knockback. I'm also probably one of the few people that take cleave sometimes. Never great cleave though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Improved Toughness (CW/MM3) if you can meet the Fort save requirement.

Martial Study twice to get Iron Heart Surge 1/encounter is usually worth it.

Improved Initiative as you said is generally the go-to for anyone who's not going to be making many attack rolls.

Point-Blank and Precise Shot for anyone using ranged attacks, especially ray attacks on a Martial Wizard, plus if you use an Elf race they help your bow attacks.

Combat Reflexes is pretty good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post
    I'm fond of knockback if I'm playing a goliath. It's not a fighter bonus feat and requires a barbarian dip, but I also like to throw in rampaging bull rush with knockback. I'm also probably one of the few people that take cleave sometimes. Never great cleave though.
    AFAIK, Knockback doesn't require barbarian. Unless you're talking about the sublevels, in which case goliaths already count as large whenever beneficial (except for reach).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-01-25 at 05:23 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #5

Rampaging bull rush is what requires barbarian. Or rage from somewhere else.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2012-01-25 at 05:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm extremely fond of Knockback as well. It has direct and powerful synergy with Dungeon Crasher and is just plain tons of fun to use. Combine Knockback with Shock Trooper's Directed Bull Rush and Domino Rush (not to mention Heedless Charge) and your effect on a battle is downright silly - in a good way!
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

7. - Top - End - #7

Burning Anyspell->Triadspell slots on Extended Persistent Heroics gives me lots of fighter feats, most of which I'm using on Martial Study on all the 8th-level maneuvers that I can acquire. Others are for EWP: Kaorti Resin Jovar, Imp. Crit: Jovar and a few assorted feats. Unfortunately, I can't get Monstrous feats with them, which would help as I'm spending most of my time Shapechanged.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Shock Trooper is a Fighter bonus feat.

Shield Slam and Shield Charge are pretty good.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Any more? Some from obscure sources?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there are the usual vanilla favourites. Power Attack and Spirited Charge are good on their own merits and powerful in combinations with other things. Two-Weapon Fighting is always nice for taking advantage of bonus damage but Fighters on their own suck with it as we know. Improved Trip is legitimately great and doesn't need much to make itself worthwhile.

I am looking up a lot of other feats that should be Fighter bonus feats but keep turning out not to be, like Leap Attack and Superior Unarmed Strike (every single feat in ToB should be a damn Fighter feat! What the hell?).
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.