New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Remnant III

Training Grounds

Terral will find Carl waiting for him next to what looks like a man who has a hood over his head and is tied to a chair. He's wearing a set of baggy clothing, leaving only guesses as to who it might be. "Put away the knife and take this." Carl tells him, offering a wire garrotte. "Kill him. Make sure he's silent."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

A garrotte? That's... unexpected. Almost... barbaric. Terral puts the knife down, and takes the wire. He approached the hooded figure from behind, readying his assigned weapon in his hands. He makes two twists, one into the victim's mouth and one around the throat. And he pulls. The collapse of the windpipe should be easy enough to feel through the wire...

Assuming that it's a thing with a windpipe. Terral should know if it had lungs, he would be able to hear it breathing.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

The target gives an incredibly loud bloodcurdling scream when the garrotte first touches the mouth area, but Carl shuts it off with a remote. "The mouth was an unnecessary target and some creatures can just bite through it, destroying your weapon." He explains. "Only target the throat, either above the voice box or right on it." Reaching over, he'll remove the weapon from the dummy and pull off the hood, showing a red line on its neck. "The one in your hand is a standard one, but we have a few different types depending on your objective and skill level. There are longer ones for a double-loop so even if the target pulls on one loop, it only tightens the other, and there are some that have wooden cones tied into it so it can only tighten around the neck and can't be loosened. Those are one use though and may eventually lead investigators back to us, which means they are no use to us on most cases."

The halfling will hand back the garrotte and take a step back, resetting the dummy. "Again."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral does not look happy about this. His face is a blank, hiding his thoughts on the matter.

He doesn't like this. Not at all.

Terral crosses his arms, slips his garrotte over the head, and pulls as hard as he can.

He doesn't know where the voice box is on this thing. And he's not comfortable with quietly killing people... it honestly hurts his sense of honor a little. He doesn't have MUCH honor, but Garrotting an individual... especially in that kind of situation...

Blank face. He doesn't like it, but he won't let that mar his expression.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

This time around, the dummy gives a small gasp that quietly chokes down. Looks like he was successful. "The point of this is to deaden your reactions to the sound of death and train you in a necessary weapon of our chosen occupation. When encountering guards that are distracted, it is necessary to get rid of them noiselessly and without light or mark on their body. Someone disposed of in this way can be propped up without worry of blood pooling or holes showing, possibly buying us precious moments." Carl tells him.

"And sometimes there's no other weapon available. These can be improvised easily with anything from scarves to ties to all manners of wires, twine, rope, etc. If you're required to go somewhere wearing just the uniform, wear the tie and you'll never be unarmed. Learn to improvise. That is a staple of being a Wraith."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

"Yes. I see."

He sees the tactical use now, even though he doesn't like it.

"I feel it is worth noting, however that I am never unarmed." He spreads his hand and shows his claws for a moment. "I admit that I don't have much experience with stealthy killing. Or stealth in general. My job did not call for such things. I am willing to learn, of course."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Ground

Carl shakes his head. "Save your claws. I know you're more comfortable with them, but you wouldn't be able to kill someone with them very easily unless you strike out their carotid or jugular blood vessels, and if you fall to that, you're probably already compromised. Even so, we'll train you to do that, or at least test your skill. Do you have any training in martial arts?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Ground

"I have a good amount of practice, yes. Varied Clawfighter, semifinals in the local military tournament. Champion Keroren."

Quite impressive for someone who isn't a professional. Yes, clawfighting is a widely-practised and varied martial art where he comes from.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Arriving >> Infirmary

Gus stays by Vas's side as she's taken to the infirmary. At some point, after she's been nicely drugged up, he leans over and whispers, "So, does Jake really spank you?"

Arriving >> Holding Cell

Billie cooperates. Once she's left alone in her cell, she crawls into bed and pulls the covers all the way over her head.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

Carl takes a moment to strip himself of his uniform shirt, taking just a small tie to wrap around each of his hands, leaving a band of material between them before he falls into a defensive stance. "Show me."

Infirmary

Vas mumbles out her answer before she gets taken to surgery. They had to replace her eyes, and it was going to be a rather delicate surgery to do so. Gus will be informed that she'll be under for several hours.

Holding Cell

"Need anything to eat or drink?" A guard asks after a bit. "And if you wish to speak to someone, simply ask. We were told to grant you some liberties."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary

Gus's jaw drops when he hears her answer, and he shakes his head in stunned disbelief as she's wheeled away.

During the surgery, Gus stays as close as he's allowed - preferably in the next room, but he won't make any trouble if he's told to wait elsewhere. He doesn't have his camera on him, so he borrows paper from someone and starts to write out an account of everything that happened with Billie while he waits, so that Jake will have it later.

Holding Cell

"No. Go away." Billie calls out from under the covers.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-02-15 at 04:01 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral shifts closer to a fighting stance, but does not do anything yet.

"Do we have any claw guards? Accidental scratches would be very bad in this case, Keroren claws are highly venomous. Not lethal, but it would knock you out, and it would burn. I would demonstrate if you do have claw guards, but if you do not I will have to demonstrate slap boxing instead."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary

Gus will have to wait a couple hours as the surgery takes place, but eventually he'll be taken to the recovery ward where she's sleeping off the aftereffects. She seems peaceful, but her eyes are heavily bandaged and her prosthetic arm lays on a table next to her.

It'll be an hour before she wakes, and several more before she's allowed to remove the bandages, but with Gus there, she's likely going to be much more positive about things.

Holding Cell

The guard just shrugs and turns his back to her, waiting quietly as he counts prime numbers in his head to the rhythm of Let It Be.

Training Grounds

"No. I wanted you to show me how you use your claws. I want you to take me out. That's an order."
    Carl says, his eyes narrowing.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral also narrows his eyes. "Understood, sir. With all due respect, two of my superior officers need to witness the demonstration and your order. That's the rule that we had set in my universe, so I see no reason to change it now. You see, how would it look to the observer? I don't want to spend a night in the cells, especially for such a reason."

Terral hopes that his second military career won't start the same way as the first one: in trouble because he denied that order.

Just like basic training...

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary

Gus will do her best to keep Vas entertained and distracted from her blindness. When the bandages around Vas's eyes are unwrapped, Gus makes sure that the first thing she'll see is the nude photo of the two of them with Jake photoshopped in, from the naughty calendar.

Holding Cell

((scene may cause emotional triggers))
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((spoilered for triggers relating to suicide))
    Spoiler
    Show
    While she's under the covers, Billie removes her shoes, and kicks them out of bed, and then removes her trousers, keeping them with her. She writes a note and stuffs it under the pillow. And she waits, intentionally breathing quickly to induce hyperventilation.

Eventually she comes out from under the covers, the sheet wrapped around her, and heads for the toilet. There's a screen for privacy, but not a separate room. "I want some privacy while I take a dump," she calls out, to make sure the guard doesn't turn around. She sits down and pees, then quietly gets up and takes a few steps to the bar for hanging clothes. She ties the legs of her trousers around the bar and then pulls herself up enough to place her head in the makeshift noose. This had better work, Billie thinks, as she lets her weight pull her down.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-02-16 at 04:47 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding Cells

The creaking of the "rope" is something that the guards have been trained to listen for, and as soon as it happens, the guard shouts for the door to be opened and the doctors to be called. Going in alone, he pulls out a knife to cut Billie down.

Training Ground

"This isn't your universe. Get that in your head."
    Carl says. "Now stop wasting time."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Ground

Terral sighs internally. Okay, how about this time we get in trouble for following orders? That might be a change of pace.

A horizontal slash, aiming for any exposed flesh or fabric that looks tear-able. This is presumably dodged, probably a duck. Terral will try to bring his knee up to stun him... turning it into a front flip, hopefully over Carl's head. It aught to be easy enough to get that high, and Terral will reach with his arms, trying to rake the halfling.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

Billie has a flare of panic, when she worries that she may have played the part too well. It really had seemed like a clever idea, up until the moment where her trachea was being compressed. Then she hears the guards shouting and relaxes. They wouldn't let her die. And Gus will see how much she loves him.

She collapses on the guard who cuts her down, limp and barely conscious, gasping and coughing for air.

Training Ground

Staff Sgt Halifax wanders into the training ground on her lunch hour. She's in uniform, but not power armour, and takes a seat, eating a sandwich.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-02-16 at 04:36 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding Cell

The guard puts a pair of handcuffs onto Billie and kneels on her back to keep her down while Bugs and a pair of aides rush in moments later to check on Billie's condition.

Training Grounds

Carl sees the feint coming, but steps forward as he loops the cloth to wrap around Terral's wrist. He twists inside of his assailant's reach, taking the knee to the side with a bit of a grunt, but his twisting negates most of the force.

As he twists, he lowers himself and tries to slide himself under Terral, between his legs and trying to wrench the caught hand with him.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

Billie makes no resistance, being too busy trying to breathe. Bugs will find that Billie has abrasions to her throat and a damaged trachea, but blood oxygen levels are fine. Her own forced hyperventilation and the guards quick action prevented any brain damage from occurring.

If the cell is searched, they'll find the note under the pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie's Note
    My dear son,

I love you more than anything, and I've waited for years to meet you. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you were first "born", when you would have needed me. I guess it's too late now. If you don't want me in your life, then it's best that I go away.

Your mother,
    Billie
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-02-16 at 08:46 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral lifts up his leg, trying to kick Carl in the head... and bring his foot down on the other side so that Carl is still in front of him.

Terral grasps the fabric with the wrapped hand, and tries to pull on it as he bring the other hand in to scratch the arm. If that misses, he should be able to turn it into an elbow bash.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding Cell

Bugs will inject Billie with sedative to knock her out and make her sleep. If it works, they'll place her in the bed after searching it (finding the note), and handcuff her to the frame before leaving. This time there are two guards, and they watch her instead of keeping their backs to the cell.

Bugs gives a sigh as he rereads the note and decides that he may as well head to Vas and Gus. They needed to know.

Training Grounds

As soon as Terral lifts his leg, Carl thrusts up a fist at full power, aiming to hit him where it hurts with his full strength behind it.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

CRACK!

...huh. It seems that Keroren do not have external gonads.

Terral is disrupted, however, and tries to roll into a judo hold... plus claws.

I'm not sure how he does that from that position. I imagine it is awkward for all involved.

If he can't get a good hold, He'll at least try to disengage. I'm not sure how he would do that, either. I'm no martial artist. Shish, I'm not even sure what the placing really even is here. Mid-kick... odd punch... fabric hold... maybe they both fall to the ground? I don't even know.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

Billie sleeps, for now.

Infirmary

Gus is still with Vas in the infirmary, helping to keep her spirits up (and his own) until she's discharged.

Training Grounds

Missy watches the fight with interest. She had some hand-to-hand ability, but it wasn't her speciality. Certainly she wouldn't be able to take Carl, if they were both unarmed and unarmoured, unless she used her wired reflexes. In that case, she might win - but only if she could take him down quickly. In a fight of attrition, her muscles couldn't sustain the speed provided by the cybernetics, and Carl would have the advantage again.

The Keroren is interesting as well, as she's never seen one before, and she's enjoying the spectacle.

Her parents would be so scandalized.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Feia's Cell]

At some point, whatever blankets and clothing that were available have been arranged into a little nest-shaped pile.

Feia has done her best to be a model prisoner, with no difficulties beyond her odd dietary request.
    Somewhat odd behavior now, perhaps, sitting down next to the pile of cloth, with her hands over her knees. Eyes closed, quietly humming.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

Carl lets go of the ribbon of cloth, possibly making Terral more unstable from the sudden lack of pulling. Acting quickly with practiced reflexes, he jabs both his elbows to the side, trying to hit Terral's knees from the inside to utterly destroy his balance, bring pain, and possibly make his legs useless.

That's the blessing of having clerics on call 24/7. Practice can hurt.

Infirmary

Bugs enters without bothering to knock and gives a sigh. "Gus, Commander, I'm sorry to report this, but Billie attempted to hang herself and left a note. She's been sedated for now and is in good health." He adds quickly before passing Gus the note.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary

Gus looks at the note, then shakes his head, and hands it to Vas, looking confused and lost. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do with a mother! Especially one who is crazy and wants to kill my best friend!"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral does not land keep a good footing... and that ends up helping him, since instead of seriously damaging his knees he only gets knocked down. It still hurt, but he can still fight. On the ground.

Actually, it seems he is comfortable fighting on the ground. He does an impressive maneuver (kind of like a break dance move) to wind up facing Carl. No, that was not fun for any of the places that Terral has gotten hurt today. He doesn't even care. His professional demeanor has been dropped in favor of a half-grimace and a predatory gleam in his eye. He almost pounces forward, ignoring the pain, and tries to get Carl in a hold, any hold, with claws. He's not beaten yet.

As long as he doesn't have to stand...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Feia's Cell]

The prisoner here finally breaks her inactivity.

A couple days ago, Feia had taken to periods of meditation, although she would break from it for food and other interruptions.
    But aside from those moments, she would sit next to the arranged pile of cloth and do nothing else.

Today, however, there is another problem.
    It starts with a little cough, one that doesn't stop until her lips and hands are bloody.

The woman stares at her hands for a moment, looking both pale and calmly resigned.
    At least, up until she starts coughing again.

The blood is less shy this time.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary

Vas lays her head back down on the pillow and closes her eyes, keeping herself from sighing at the turn of events. "Just go to her. See what she wants. The guards will make sure nothing happens. I'll be fine here."

Bugs almost tells her that Billie's been sedated, but a beep goes off in his comm piece and he curses. "I have an emergency." Is all he says before running off.

Training Grounds

Carl does nearly the same maneuver as Terral except without the spin. As he leaps at Carl, the halfling sets his hands under himself and pushes up with all his might, throwing himself feet first at his "sparring" partner, aiming to slam the soles of his boots onto his shoulders instead of his face. Depending on how fast Terral is, he might be able to get in a swipe at Carl's legs before they connect(if they do).

Feia's Cell

Once the guards and other security notice the bloody coughs, medics are called, and at the forefront, Bugs will arrive with a pair of aides. "What's wrong?" He asks as they fumble to get the door unlocked.