New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "A couple of... somethings," when the giant thought deeply like this, it's teeth ground against each other so loudly it seemed like they would break.

"Always was," the giant paused, trying to think. "I was good at it. But then I made a mistake."

And now the creature seemed piteous rather than intimidating. A deep sadness emanated out from those pinched black eyes.

"I went and knocked down a bridge that shouldn't have been knocked down. And I got punished for it, ma'am. This is my punishment for it."

And he looked sad, so deeply sad that it was hard to say. So sad it was impossible to articulate. So sad that it was unbearable. So sad that it was intolerable, unendurable, impossible. So sad that the only way to properly deal with the sadness was to go over to the edge of that bridge and jump -

Before they could stop themselves, the group found their feet taking juddering, involuntary steps towards the edge of the bridge...

[Resistance: Resolve+Composure+Wyrd]
    (Why oh why can't I keep Isabelle's mouth shut?! )

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Resolve (3), Composure (2), Wyrd (1) - 6 Dice

Roll(6d10):

Extra roll:
    Roll(1d10)+0:

Two successes

Isabelle feet began moving of their own accord but she didn't notice. Her mind was lost in the empathetic grief that had suddenly poured out from the Giant.

She looked down, silent and helpless, as a small child ran from a fire, clutching tightly to a doll that had been sewn for her by her mother. The girl paused to look back at her home as it burned to the ground, oblivious to the fire truck that was racing down the street.

A screech of brakes, shouts and the doll falling from lifeless hands.

Two lovers met in the forest, unseen from prejudiced eyes. The dappled leaves fell as they exchanged vows, their murmured confessions accompanied by the bubbling of a nearby creek. The sudden ... brutal crack of the rifle.

The screams of disbelief as the jealous noble strode into the clearing, his hunting dogs flanking him like grim-faced attendants.

It wasn't fair. Tragedy like this should not exist. The fact it did meant that this world was flawed. That fate, like some cruel puppet master, sought only to make people dance on his strings before cutting them and watching their forms fall, lifeless, to the ground.

Far easier to end it on your own terms, than to face that fate. And the edge was so close now.

A young girl, her blonde hair in a braid, fell to the ground. Dark figures loomed over her, taunting her, even as they reached for her again. The girl seemed to be looking right at Isabelle now, her blue eyes pleading.

Her feet moved ... away from the bridge's edge. A single word escaped from her lips before she knew what was happening.

"Annabelle"

Isabelle blinked, the images fled. There was no fire, only the bright lights of the truck. The forest was dark and forboding, not the leafy green of spring. Traffic cones, stop signs and ...

She quickly looked for her companions, worried about what had just happened to them.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

[Dice pool 6: Rolled 8, 7, 9, 7, 2, 7 so two successes]

Unthinkable. Unthinkable to continue on. Couldn't dredge through this cold, hollow nightmare any longer. She felt her feet take her to the edge, looked down and felt herself leave this body that wasn't hers. She didn't belong in this body, it wasn't right for her to claim it. She felt herself lean over the edge and fall, slowly like a feather, falling eternally into the deep darkness.

Yet her feet never left the ground.

[Would it be possible for Charlene to use this sorrow somehow? Harvesting it without really realizing it, I'm thinking. She wouldn't do it consciously in this situation, I feel]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dice pool: 5 -> 5, 2, 5, 2, 10
    10 again: 3

So glad about that last-minute ten...

Jon was about to protest that 'something' wasn't a very helpful measure of time when he realized that he couldn't say for sure how long he had been gone. By now, the Hunt seemed like a dream; as far as he could tell it might have taken only a night... or it might have taken years.

And if it had been years, what then? Would there be anything left to come home to? He had been worried about returning to find monsters, but in their own way, monsters would be easier to face than corpses. Truthfully, Jon didn't want to face either one, but he certainly couldn't return to Faerie; really, there was only one option, and as he considered it the edge of the bridge drew closer.

Maybe it was better this way... surely he was as good as dead in everyone else's eyes, and it would be so easy to take the final step, to give in and finally rest...

With a start, Jon shook his head and glanced down. His hand was clenched around the bridge railing, and in the cold air of the early morning, it was freezing. The icy pain had cut in on his thoughts, and now that he could think again, the dizzy drop from the bridge made his stomach lurch and he scrambled away from the railing.

"Wh-What happened?" Jon wondered, half-aloud.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-02-01 at 06:31 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

And the spell was broken. The giant was no longer transcendently sad. He was just kind of pitiful, weak, broken.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, "I'm sorry. I was just so hungry."

He turned away. "Just... just go."

[Why yes, I will allow Charlene a Harvest roll for this.]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-01 at 06:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

“So it was you.” Jon had thought he felt strange, and the giant’s words confirmed that the suicidal mood swing hadn’t been his own, not entirely at least. He took a few steps toward the hulking figure, and even as he wondered why, he spoke, “You know it isn’t right... You don’t have to be like this!”

There was something else, a gamble, and he didn’t want to say it but he couldn’t stop now. “You don’t have to be like Them!”

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle let her hand drop from Jon's shoulder as he began to talk to the Giant. She doubted he'd even noticed her, entranced as he'd been when he stepped up to the ledge.

"He has a point" Isabelle added. "You've made some mistakes, some ... bad decisions. But you can do better in the future, you can be better in the future. If you want to, that is."

7. - Top - End - #37

The giant flinched away from their words. "I tried. Tried to work. Tried not to eat. But I'm so hungry. It never goes away."

The giant bent down by the rail at the side of the bridge. There was a deep crunching sound. He straightened up, and the sound of chewing metal filled the air.

He rummaged in his pockets, produced a set of keys for the truck. He thrust them at Jon, indiscriminately. "Take the truck. Just go."

[Situation doesn't call for a roll; this might change if you acquire some conversational traction or something specific to talk him into]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Jon took the keys gingerly. “I’ll bring this back soon, I promise.” Because I want to get to the bottom of this, he added mentally.

Glad for a chance to finally get in out of the chill air, Jon crossed quickly to the driver’s side and took a moment to remind himself of how everything worked, before glancing back at his companions and starting the engine.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

The giant flinched away from their words. "I tried. Tried to work. Tried not to eat. But I'm so hungry. It never goes away."

The giant bent down by the rail at the side of the bridge. There was a deep crunching sound. He straightened up, and the sound of chewing metal filled the air.

He rummaged in his pockets, produced a set of keys for the truck. He thrust them at Jon, indiscriminately. "Take the truck. Just go."

[Situation doesn't call for a roll; this might change if you acquire some conversational traction or something specific to talk him into]
    Isabelle stared at the railing where the giant had been, its ends now broken and torn.

"You ... eat metal?" She asked to the air, the first wisps of an idea forming in her mind. "Does that help the hunger? How do you even ... digest it?"

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Isabelle stared at the railing where the giant had been, its ends now broken and torn.

"You ... eat metal?" She asked to the air, the first wisps of an idea forming in her mind. "Does that help the hunger? How do you even ... digest it?"
    "Not really," he muttered vaguely, staring resolutely off the side of the bridge.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

[Dice pool 4: Rolled 9, 3, 8, 4, two successes]

Charlene stood by the side of the bridge, staring into the deep. The cold wind in her face rushed past her, as in her mind she kept falling. She couldn't breathe and all she felt or heard was the beating of her heart, the last rush before the end, the ultimate rush. The world grew still around her, the wind calmed, and still she fell. Tears streamed down her cheeks as sweet oblivion closed in around her. The emptiness, the end, it was unbearably beautiful. A beautiful despair.

The sorrow filled her, carried her away to experiences she had never thought possible. Even as the giant's spell broke, even as the other two moved on, the echo of sorrow reverberated still within her heart. She didn't hear the others, she simply cried, let the tears flow freely as she clenched the railing of the bridge. She didn't want it to end, didn't want the fall, the sorrow, the despair to end.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Glad for a chance to finally get in out of the chill air, Jon crossed quickly to the driver’s side and took a moment to remind himself of how everything worked, before glancing back at his companions and starting the engine.
    When the engine failed to turn over, Jon glanced around for a moment, puzzled. Then, looking down, he noticed that the truck had three pedals, instead of the familiar two. Swearing under his breath, he turned to search for the others, who seemed to still be over by the road worker-turned-maneater.

Hoping this would be the last obstacle of the night, Jon slid back out of the driver’s seat and called sheepishly toward Isabelle and Charlene, “Hey! Anyone know how to drive this? I never bothered to learn...”

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not really," he muttered vaguely, staring resolutely off the side of the bridge.
    Isabelle face fell. Of course things couldn't be that simple.

"Listen ... I'm sorry you're still hungry. But I promise I'll try to help you, I don't know how yet but I'll try." She said, giving the Giant a reassuring smile. "In return, all I ask is that you try too, at least to not eat any people."

Turning, she was distracted for a moment by a call from Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    When the engine failed to turn over, Jon glanced around for a moment, puzzled. Then, looking down, he noticed that the truck had three pedals, instead of the familiar two. Swearing under his breath, he turned to search for the others, who seemed to still be over by the road worker-turned-maneater.

Hoping this would be the last obstacle of the night, Jon slid back out of the driver’s seat and called sheepishly toward Isabelle and Charlene, “Hey! Anyone know how to drive this? I never bothered to learn...”
    "Drive what? A truck?" Isabelle said, walking up to the cabin and having a look inside. "Oh right, manual. Well I managed to pass my learners on those, so I can do it if no one else can."

Might be a bit rusty though." she amended, after a moment's thought.

"Anyway, lets get moving" she finished, having a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    [Dice pool 4: Rolled 9, 3, 8, 4, two successes]

Charlene stood by the side of the bridge, staring into the deep. The cold wind in her face rushed past her, as in her mind she kept falling. She couldn't breathe and all she felt or heard was the beating of her heart, the last rush before the end, the ultimate rush. The world grew still around her, the wind calmed, and still she fell. Tears streamed down her cheeks as sweet oblivion closed in around her. The emptiness, the end, it was unbearably beautiful. A beautiful despair.

The sorrow filled her, carried her away to experiences she had never thought possible. Even as the giant's spell broke, even as the other two moved on, the echo of sorrow reverberated still within her heart. She didn't hear the others, she simply cried, let the tears flow freely as she clenched the railing of the bridge. She didn't want it to end, didn't want the fall, the sorrow, the despair to end.
    She frowned as she caught sight of Charlene, still standing by the edge of the bridge. The other girl had stopped moving at the same time she had and, consequently, Isabelle had not paid that much attention to her. Not once she'd seen Jon about to step off into oblivion at least.

Looking closer now, she could see that something was wrong.

"Charlene?" She called, concern in her voice. "Are you okay?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Voices from beyond called her name, tore her back towards the cold reality, towards the blinding light. It was tough. Charlene sighed and slumped over, tried to stay in the moment but it was already fading. She didn't answer Isabelle immediately, just held on to the edge and looked miserable. She knew they had to go, she knew she didn't want to stay with the hungry giant, but it was hard to let go. She wanted more.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Voices from beyond called her name, tore her back towards the cold reality, towards the blinding light. It was tough. Charlene sighed and slumped over, tried to stay in the moment but it was already fading. She didn't answer Isabelle immediately, just held on to the edge and looked miserable. She knew they had to go, she knew she didn't want to stay with the hungry giant, but it was hard to let go. She wanted more.
    "Charlene?" Isabelle asked again, tentatively placing a hand on her shoulder.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Drive what? A truck?" Isabelle said, walking up to the cabin and having a look inside. "Oh right, manual. Well I managed to pass my learners on those, so I can do it if no one else can."

Might be a bit rusty though." she amended, after a moment's thought.

"Anyway, lets get moving" she finished, having a look around.
    Jon simply nodded, glad that someone could get them out of this place. For a moment, he felt like he should defend his driving skills, but suddenly it seemed like the whole night’s travel had caught up with him after sitting down in the truck’s cab. Instead of protesting, he walked around the passenger side and climbed in slowly, sparing a glance back at Charlene and frowning worriedly before settling himself inside.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene shook a little and closed her eyes. It was gone. She looked up as Isabelle lay her hand on her shoulder, and finally seemed to take note of what was going on around her. "I..." She wasn't sure what had just happened. There was so much she needed to think through after this night. She looked down and turned around. "I'm coming," she said as she headed towards the car, and unless stopped took a seat in the back, silently.

18. - Top - End - #48

The passenger's seat had what looked uncomfortably like bloodstains in it. The truck was full of various construction junk but there was room to squeeze into the back seat.

And once they started driving, there'd be a glimpse of a silent giant, standing holding a stop sign, in the dark before it was gone.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Jon sat in the passenger seat of the truck, head leaning against the window while his lower half was twisted uncomfortably, trying to avoid the worst of the stains. As they began to move down the road, he let his eyes wander over the dimly-glimpsed scenery outside, feeling the bumps and vibration of the engine against his temple as the truck drove on.

Half asleep, Jon’s thoughts turned toward his family once again. Now that he was almost home, he realized he had no idea what to say to them. Even if everything was as he’d left it, how would he explain his absence, and what would they think of him? Somehow he doubted that the absolute truth would be very believable, and he didn’t feel like he was in any state at the moment to think up a better explanation...

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle watched Charlene go, uncertain what had just happened but equally certain that something had just occurred. With no way to tell what that had been, though, Isabelle gave the giant one last wave goodbye and settled into the driver's seat of the truck.

She noticed the stain on the passenger's seat, despite the fact that Jon's bulk obscured most of it and couldn't hep but give it a quick inspection to see if it was recent or, worse yet, human.

The truck rumbled to life when she turned the ignition, her feet and hands moving by rote to put the vehicle into gear. It was strange how much she could still do from pure muscle memory. Those driving lessons felt ... were a lifetime ago.

Gritting her teeth she started the vehicle on the road down the mountain.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene sat in the back seat quietly. For a while she looked around and out the window, then bowed her head and closed her eyes. She didn't remember much of the words. She knew she probably wasn't turning right, or doing it right, but surely He understood her circumstances, surely He knew she was earnest. Surely that was all that really mattered, if anything mattered at all. She continued silently praying as the car bumbled along the road.

22. - Top - End - #52

The mountain road went on; winding gently down the trail towards the town. The moon emerged from the clouds like a galleon, sailing through to a clear patch of sky and shining brilliantly. The stars were out in force.

The town was quiet, dark, illuminated only by those golden puddles thrown by streetlights. There was a glimpse, there, of a young man on a night time jog. There was a moment when the graffiti on that warehouse seemed a priceless work of art that held the future. There was a moment where a gust of rain fell across the car, gone almost before it started. The breeze was stiff and chill.

There was time before they had to decide where they were going, time where they could just drift on the idea of home. But that time whittled away, and decisions loomed ahead. "Where are you going?" is not a question that can be put off for ever.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

“How am I going to tell them?” Jon had only half-intentionally let the question slip out to break the quiet of the truck’s cab. Tired as he was, the thought wouldn’t let him rest, and he imagined that some version of it was on everyone’s mind at the moment. Hopefully putting it into words would help him think...

Now more than ever, Jon wished he could erase the past along with his captivity, and go back to his old life, no explanations needed, and no Hunter lurking out there somewhere, dogging his steps and making him glance over his shoulder with every step.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

The question of "where are we going" bounced around in the back of Isabelle's mind. It had been superseded, temporarily at least, by the more pertinent question of "where are we?"

She'd seen a road sign to Portland before, so they were at least still in Oregon state ... or maybe California. She silently cursed whoever had the bright idea of reusing so many city names in this country. Guiding the truck down from the mountain road, she kept her eyes open for any landmarks as they entered the small city below.

Soon enough, she found what she was looking for, and pulled the truck off the road and into a nearby carpark. There, by the roadside, was a sight that was all too ubiquitous in the States. Most people, if they looked at it at all, would subconsciously ignore it. Right now, she couldn't express how much she appreciated the green paint of its background, or the white words that had been spray-painted on the front:

Welcome to Oregon City OC"
    Urbs civitatis nostrae prima et mater
    Pop: 39186

She had to blink sudden tears back from her eyes, they were not too far from her home ...

"Jon?" She asked, quietly, so as not to disturb Charlene. "Is there a roadmap in the glove compartment?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

“Huh? Oh, right, I’ll check.” Jon reached up and flipped on the overhead light, then yanked at the glovebox door until it came unstuck, bringing with it a flurry of old food wrappers and yellowed receipts. Grabbing a handful of the mess, he began sorting through it, looking for anything that might help them while trying to avoid the worst of the stains and sticky patches.

After a moment of searching, Jon caught a glimpse of familiar red-outlined paper and pulled the map free from the rest of the pile before stuffing the rest away as best he could and commenting under his breath, “This truck is a mess...” Struggling not to think of the stained seat cover beneath him, Jon turned to Isabelle. “So, where are we trying to go?”

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle pored over the map for a moment, trying to locate exactly where they were. She spoke to Jon as she did so. "According to the sign back there, we've just passed the outskirts of Oregon City. I don't know about you two, but I can't wait to find my family again. I have no idea how much they must have worried about me when I was taken ..."

"Our home is up in Seattle, a couple of hundred miles from here ... but it's at least in the same state. How about yours?" She asked, shooting a glance at Charlene and Jon.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene opened her eyes but didn't look up. "I don't remember..." She was already dreading where they might be going. Part of her wanted to go hide in the countryside, some small backwaters town with a population of ten. Up in the mountains maybe. Away from it all. "Portland, I think, but I don't think I can go back there." She glanced out the windows. "Not yet." Maybe never. She turned to the others, "We won't get far like this, will we? How much gas do we have? No food, no money," then down at herself, "barely any clothes." She brushed her old clothes with a hand. They were dirty and ragged, smudged by mud and torn by thorns and branches. How could she return like that? Show herself like that? She looked at her scarred hand. She would need much more than just clothes, wouldn't she?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

“That’s a good point - how much gas do we have?” Jon leaned over, trying to see the gauge from his position in the passenger seat. “However much is left, there’s probably enough to make it to my place at least, and then...” he trailed off, suddenly realizing that as difficult as his own absence would be to explain, he had no idea how to introduce the others. “...I guess we’ll see how it goes.” Jon knew the recovery was lame, and he wanted to promise more, but the future looked so uncertain in even his own eyes that he didn’t dare raise their hopes. Pointing to the map, he continued a bit reluctantly, “This is where I live, on Prospector Terrace at the south end of town. It’s close to the community college.”

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle nodded and started the truck up again. "We can go there then, at least it's a first step. Just navigate the way for me?"

Isabelle guided the vehicle out into the black. Leaving unsaid just how much she was relying on Jon's path finding. After all, if he could find his family again ... well it would bode well for her chances, even after all that time.

As for Charlene ... well, she'd figure something out ...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene returned to her quiet contemplation. She had a strange feeling about all this, but surely they didn't need her for this. If they wanted to find their families again who was she to stop them, and she could stay in the car, out of sight and mind. This wasn't her life but theirs, maybe she could spend the time figuring out what to do with herself.

She tried to remember her family, who she had been, but all she got were faces, so many faces of herself and yet not her. Maybe... maybe she had never had a life before, maybe it was just a dream, a fantasy. And if she had had a life before, how could she return if she didn't even know who she was?

It was not the time yet. She couldn't return yet, even if she remembered enough to find her way there.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-02-09 at 06:57 AM.