New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

"Where else but in their proper place, naturally," Charlene thought, ignoring the scolding glance and gave a little bow of the head, "Thank you again for all your help. I think we had better be heading out, then," she said and turned about to find those coats by the door.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Jon turned and headed for the door, with the vague impression that he was probably doing all sorts of things to offend Felix’s sensibilities. He still couldn’t quite tell if that should make him angry or ashamed. Straightening the vest one last time, Jon stopped by the door and looked back toward his friends. “Are we ready, then?”
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

"I am prepared," said the dragoness, standing quietly at ease.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes ... Let's go." Isabelle said, fiddling with the pile of items in her hands until she managed to extract the truck keys. She gave the prince one last quick thanks, before heading to the front door to grab a jacket.

The one she ended up choosing was almost a coat; long sleeved, long tailed and a rusty, leafy red, it seemed to complement her green dress well. More importantly, it had pockets, and she spent a few moments storing everything she'd been up to then carrying in her hands.

Ready? No, not really. Isabelle thought, in answer to Jon's question. In truth, there was a great deal of uncertainty boiling inside her, and she longed for the chance to discuss it privately with her friends.

Instead of answering, she turned to Vorel. "Your car or ours?" She said, nodding towards the battered old truck.

5. - Top - End - #365

"Most of the cars in this house are, ah, 'classics'," Vorel said, "It's probably more appropriate to take the truck. I will ride in the back." She said, noting there were only three spare seats. She jumped up into the back section and sat down amongst the tools.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene picked a short jacket, the simplest one she could find and threw it over her shoulders in a way that would no doubt offend Felix too. She pocketed the money and considered the kukuri for a moment before deciding that it didn't quite fit in a pocket. She made a mental note to consider a belt at some point as she jumped in on the back seat with the weapon in her lap.

7. - Top - End - #367

It was a relatively quick trip from where they were to Cludge's bridge. Unfortunately, the short winter days were lingering and by the time they'd left the dirt path that lead to the Ivy Watchtower, the sun had set, leaving behind the last curls of orange over a rapidly darkening sky. The world changed from gold and orange to a thick, velvet darkness - heavy and cold.

It was a good kind of chill, though - a chill that could be combated with the truck's primitive heater and by warm clothes. When the changelings approached the dark bridge again, their circumstances couldn't have been more different from when they passed through here yesterday. Now, they were fed, armed, clothed and had allies. It was an encouraging thought.

A car was parked in the centre of the bridge - a heavy, muscled four wheel drive. It's high beam headlights were on, and a man was standing with his back to them. He was holding a stop sign in one hand, facing in the directions of the changelings.

Something was wrong here. The dreamlike memories of last night weren't matching up. Something was off with that monster in the headlights. It was hard to tell exactly what...

[Wits+Composure for details. -3 for high beam headlights, +1 because of the nature of the change. You'll get this information one way or another, it's a question if you get it before or after you go in to get a closer look.]

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

[Wits+Composure-2 = dice pool of 4, rolled 4, 5, 4, 3, no successes from Charlene]

Charlene peeked over the passenger seat and down the cone of blinding light. She didn't like all this light, and she didn't like that figure. She rubbed her eyes and hid behind the seat again "Anyone else think there's something off here?"

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle slid into the drivers seat, waiting until Jon arrived before starting up the truck and pulling out of Spring's manse. Immediately, she tried to open up to her friends, to tell them what had been bothering her, but couldn't find the words; only opening, then closing her mouth like some strange, discomforted fish.

All too soon the trip was over and they approached the bridge again. A car was in the middle of the road once more, but hadn't Cludge given them his only truck?

Oh god, are we too late?

"I can't see anything" Isabelle replied, squinting against the headlights to no avail. Turning, she thumped on the back of the cab.

"Hey Vorel? Heads up, we're almost there!"

Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Wits + Composure - 2= 2 dice pool]

Roll(2d10)+0:
    2,1,+0
    Total:3

No successes ... ouch.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wits + Composure Roll: 2 + 1 - 3 + 1 = 1 die
    Roll: 9
    1 Success

On the ride over, Jon sat uncomfortably in the truck, glad that Felix wasn’t there to criticize Vorel’s seating arrangements, as he knew the butler would. He let out a sigh and glanced up from the spot on the dash he’d been examining, only to be half-blinded by the high beams of another truck stationed out on the bridge.

As Jon raised a hand to block out the glare, he caught a glimpse of what must be Cludge standing there, and then began to stare openly as he realized something was uncomfortably off about the man.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371

It was just a glimpse that Jon caught - some final flash of the setting sun, pure chance that he happened to be looking in the right way at the time.

The man on the bridge wasn't Cludge. He was taller, more muscled, his head was a normal shape. He was wearing the dark green and brown uniform of a U.S. Marshal. The car he was standing in front of was a highway patrol car. He was gripping the stop sign with one hand, and in the other he was holding small and round. There was masking tape over his mouth.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-04-18 at 09:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

When Jon caught sight of the man standing on the bridge, his jaw tightened reflexively. The animal in his head knew what was happening before he did, and even as his conscious mind caught up, words were already spilling out of his mouth.

“Wait! Stop the truck, Isabelle! Something’s wrong... that man isn’t Cludge, and I think he’s armed. This is a trap!”

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

"The Hell??" Isabelle exclaimed, before slamming her foot on the brakes.

There was a thump in the back, possible from Vorel, as she scrambled to shift gears into reverse.

14. - Top - End - #374

The man on the bridge stayed exactly where he was. The truck screamed into reverse, backed off the bridge. As soon as Isabelle stopped the car it went quiet, still.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

She'd reacted by simple reflex, reversing the truck off the bridge as much by instinct as by automatic skill.

Now, looking back at the bridge, she considered the scene before her. She was still unable to make out much beyond the sillouhette of the solitary figure standing there ... the solitary figure that had yet to move at all. Charlene was right, there was something very wrong here.

"Jon, what exactly did you see?"

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

"Whoa!" Charlene was thrown forward as Isabelle hit the brakes, bracing herself with her arms against the seat in front, then quickly slammed back into her seat as the truck reversed off the bridge. "What is happening?"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

“I...didn’t get a very good look. It’s not Cludge though - he looks human; police or military, based on the uniform,” Jon squinted toward the figure on the bridge, but by now the headlights were washing out his vision, and he couldn’t make out any further details.

“What worries me is that I saw what looked like tape over his mouth... I don’t know what it means, but I doubt he wants to be here. If we approach him, we need to be really careful, I think.” As Jon spoke, he wondered if perhaps the giant had discovered they were looking for him. Did Contracts work like that? Was this something that had been set up to delay or trick them? Whatever it was, he had a sinking feeling that they weren’t going to like it.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

"Tape over his mouth?" Charlene glanced back out the small window behind her, a reflex to always watch her back and also worried for their passenger in the back, "Must be a hostage, which means Cludge could laying in wait for us. Where's Vorel?"

19. - Top - End - #379

Vorel looked in upside-down through the windshield; from the position, she had to be crouching on the top of the car. She looked equally quizzical, cautious and slightly disoriented.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

"Are you okay?" Isabelle asked, rolling down the window so she could be heard. "There's something wrong with that man on the bridge, Jon thinks he saw duct tape on his mouth."

"What do you think is going on? Is it some kind of trap?" Presumably, as Sheriff of Summer, Vorel might have some experience in this sort of thing.

21. - Top - End - #381

"There are Contracts to know the future, or to bring good luck. It's possible that Cludge foresaw our arrival and took a hostage." Vorel said, still upside-down, "I can't see the point of this, though. And the man's feet are clearly not bound - why would he still be standing there if he's a captive?"

She took a deep breath.

"Ah. Scratch that question. He's terrified out of his mind."

[Potential Glamour Harvest: Man on the bridge. You'll need to move closer to get the glamour. +1 situational on the roll because of the level of the fear, either Intimidate or Empathy]

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Bits of old training, long ago and terribly lacking, sprang to life as Charlene considered their situation. "Cludge had a shotgun when we met him last, and if this man on the bridge is a police officer he might have carried a weapon too in any case. Cludge is likely desperate and could be hiding anywhere, we need to calm him and make him come out from hiding." She looked at Vorel, "do you have a gun with you?"

23. - Top - End - #383

"No. I prefer to fight unarmed." Vorel said, shaking her head. "Something to remember, though, is Cludge's curse. Ogres like him tend to be extremely gullible and easy to manipulate. He is possibly very smart, and probably completely insane, but if we can start talking to him he's very likely to believe us."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene bit her lip. She would have liked a bit of backup, just in case it all went to hell. She nodded slightly. "We don't want him to panic, so no sudden or dramatic moves. Perhaps one of us should go in there, someone who can keep calm and look non-threatening. I could try, though my negotiation skills are... rusty. What do you all think?"

25. - Top - End - #385

"Cludge did give you people his truck; he probably likes you, in his way," Vorel deferred, "I am more practised at negotiation, and have Contracts for the purpose, but my appearance would probably send a much worse impression."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-04-20 at 10:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Jon considered the situation for a moment. “I agree that it’s probably best if we go first, before Vorel makes an appearance. If you want to go Charlene, I’ll come with you; I have questions for Cludge, and I think together we might be able to get through to him. What about you, Isabelle?”

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've only got one question I need answered ..." Isabelle murmured.

Why?

Not waiting for the others, she kicked open the driver's door and slid out of the cabin.

"Cludge!" She yelled to the wilderness "Where are you? We need to talk!!"

Inwardly, her emotions were in flux, oscillating from confusion to anger and back with each beat of her heart. It was the kind of emotional instability that would drive her to distraction if not addressed.

In this case, her mind demanded an answer from the giant, if only so it could settle the question of how she should feel about what he'd done.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

"Damn it, Isabelle!" Charlene felt an urge to curse to the heavens.

"Get her back in before she gets herself or that poor guy on the bridge killed!" She said to Jon and Vorel, hoping to salvage the situation. Charlene may have felt rusty, but she knew pretty damn for certain you shouldn't go yelling angrily at someone with a gun and a hostage. She opened her door a crack, ready to jump out, but she would be on the wrong side of the car and people rushing out of the car in a panic would only exacerbate the situation.

29. - Top - End - #389

[Have a Wrath willpower regain, Isabelle.]

Cludge didn't appear. There was no sign of him anywhere in the wilderness.

The man on the bridge waved his sign, but didn't move his feet or make a sound. The fear he was feeling suddenly had the taste of desperate hope.

Vorel's eyes locked on Isabelle, and she'd feel a strange draw of anger away from her - it was possible just to release the emotion and let it sink into the dragon, regaining calm. However, the effect wasn't particularly potent, and she could if she desired redouble her anger despite it.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-04-21 at 07:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle returned Vorel's gaze with confused irritation. She felt the spell tug at her anger, but there was relatively little for it to find purchase on. She wasn't angry ...

She glanced at the bridge, where the man still stood frozen and felt a flash of heat, that drained away just as quickly.

Okay, maybe she was a little angry. But it was hardly her driving motivation, at least not yet. Emotionally, she was poised at the point of taking that dive, but held herself back from that uncontrolled plunge. What Cludge had done here was wrong, almost damning of itself ... but there was still a sliver of room in her heart to forgive.

It all depended on what answer Cludge would give to her question.

Approaching the bridge, she took another breath to call out again.