New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

"Nah. Knock yourselves out. Just, if you find something locked, it's almost certainly locked for a reason." Talmage said, standing. "I'm going in to work, you kids have fun while I'm out."

As Talmage walked to the door, Felix got his coat and tie into position on the moving target with practised ease. Vorel stood and nodded to Isabelle; "Where?"

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene emptied her glass and finished her last piece of bread, then snatched another piece to go. It wasn't right that she could feel her ribs, and an old appetite she hadn't been able to indulge for years was coming back to her now. She took a bite and stood up, deciding to do like the others and explore her surroundings.

Walking quietly, almost sneaking by pure habit, she set out down a corridor. Talmage had mentioned books, or maybe there were some other interesting things to stir her memories or catch her interest.

[She'd no doubt be interested in the summer sports section too, but I'll just have her wander randomly in case you have some interesting section for her to stumble into that hasn't been mentioned yet]

3. - Top - End - #573

[Undescribed areas: Watchtower, basement, garage, Winter wing. There's plenty more stuff to do in any of them that have just been passed through]

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Nah. Knock yourselves out. Just, if you find something locked, it's almost certainly locked for a reason." Talmage said, standing. "I'm going in to work, you kids have fun while I'm out."

As Talmage walked to the door, Felix got his coat and tie into position on the moving target with practised ease. Vorel stood and nodded to Isabelle; "Where?"
    Isabelle farewelled Talmage before answering Vorel.

"Anywhere is fine I guess." She said, with a shrug. "Somewhere you find comfortable, your room maybe?"

5. - Top - End - #575

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Isabelle farewelled Talmage before answering Vorel.

"Anywhere is fine I guess." She said, with a shrug. "Somewhere you find comfortable, your room maybe?"
    Vorel nodded and lead the way to her bedroom.

It was... not what was expected from the graceful dragoness. A large computer hub was set up with three screens and a mess of cables under the table. A wheeled office chair, a beanbag, and several gaming consoles lay on the ground. The shelf was filled with stacks of video games, anime DVDs, manga books and textbooks on computer science. There were several posters on the wall, some in incomprehensible programmer jargon, some splash posters for some anime show or other. Pointed out the window was something that looked like some sort of telescope and/or death ray.

It wasn't messy, per se, it just had a bit more stuff than could comfortably fit within it, and a valiant effort had been made to stack it all neatly. It also smelled weirdly clean, a dry and slightly arid smell, like a breeze on a desert.

"Sorry about the mess," Vorel apologised. "Should I sit or lie down?"

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Quickly catching up on the division into seasons, Charlene decided to continue on the path she had already been treading at the table and went to look for the Winter wing.

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Quickly catching up on the division into seasons, Charlene decided to continue on the path she had already been treading at the table and went to look for the Winter wing.
    Parts of the walls and roof of this part of the house had been destroyed, and must have been destroyed so long ago that Felix's time magic hadn't restored it. Here and there, walls were collapsed and the roof had caved in. Ivy grew amongst the ruined stonework. It was still possible to traverse through this difficult terrain, and most of the rooms were still usable - the disrepair seemed quite studied and deliberate.

There were some corridors where one had to climb over piles of broken, ancient masonry - stone with an almost Roman architectural style, and another where a large, formal oak desk was half-covered in rubble. Books lay piled haphazardly in the corners, ancient and yellowed. Some looked like they had been chewed on by wild wolves.

Open to the elements as it was, this part of the building was cold and windy, bleak and inhospitable.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-16 at 06:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, better to lie down, take the pressure off it." Isabelle replied distractedly, as she glanced around the room. "The mess is fine, although I didn't have you pegged as such a ... a tech head."

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

At first, Jon was intrigued by the winding corridors and odd architecture of the Autumn rooms; there were certainly plenty of paths to wander and it was very briefly reminiscent of a bizarrely decorated carnival funhouse. Somewhere around his third unintentional visit to the kitchen, that association began to fade and he realized that people had at some point used the mis-proportioned rat’s nest as living quarters.

Jon’s train of thought as he became progressively more lost was unnerving, and the decor only exacerbated the feeling. Ordinarily, he wouldn’t have given the posters and memorabilia a second thought, but the single-mindedness of the decorations along with the indecipherable architecture gave him the paranoid impression that there was some hidden message in it all which kept going over his head.

As his unease creeped higher, Jon looked for a way out of Autumn’s domain, only to discover that he had no idea which way out might be. Instead, he simply started walking more quickly, taking turns and doorways that seemed best at the moment while trying to remind himself that the house was (hopefully) finite in extent and he would eventually have to find his way out...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

10. - Top - End - #580

"Oh, better to lie down, take the pressure off it." Isabelle replied distractedly, as she glanced around the room. "The mess is fine, although I didn't have you pegged as such a ... a tech head."
    "Beating up flesh-eating monsters is my day job. I have hobbies," Vorel said with a brief smile, lying down. "I used to work for Solutions. Applied Software Engineering - that is to say, Artificial Intelligence and Cyberwarfare."

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    At first, Jon was intrigued by the winding corridors and odd architecture of the Autumn rooms; there were certainly plenty of paths to wander and it was very briefly reminiscent of a bizarrely decorated carnival funhouse. Somewhere around his third unintentional visit to the kitchen, that association began to fade and he realized that people had at some point used the mis-proportioned rat’s nest as living quarters.

Jon’s train of thought as he became progressively more lost was unnerving, and the decor only exacerbated the feeling. Ordinarily, he wouldn’t have given the posters and memorabilia a second thought, but the single-mindedness of the decorations along with the indecipherable architecture gave him the paranoid impression that there was some hidden message in it all which kept going over his head.

As his unease creeped higher, Jon looked for a way out of Autumn’s domain, only to discover that he had no idea which way out might be. Instead, he simply started walking more quickly, taking turns and doorways that seemed best at the moment while trying to remind himself that the house was (hopefully) finite in extent and he would eventually have to find his way out...
    Eventually was right - it took nearly forty minutes to figure out that there was only one way in and out of the building's wing and only a successful act of backtracking got Jon out.

On his way, he'd pass a room with a large, fortified, reinforced steel safe built into the floor, what looked like an aztec sundial constructed of shining brass built into a wall twelve feet high, and an armoury-like room with hundreds of empty weapon racks.

But there was no malicious presence here, and no deliberate entrapment, and it was only a matter of time before Jon escaped back into the chill overcast exterior.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-17 at 07:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene took it all in. The cold, barren look reminded her of the past five years, but there were colors here, along with details and the time and peace to study them without the all-consuming fear. Instead, a heavy melancholy seemed to hang about the place as she surveyed it. This felt like a place where things could hide, or become forgotten and lost.

With eyes and ears alert out of instinct, she slipped through the ravaged rooms, climbed the crumbling walls, ran her fingers across the cold stones, searching for all the little hidden details, crevices and hiding places that she felt instinctively had to be there. Occasionally she stopped and picked up a book carefully to have a look.

12. - Top - End - #582

The one thing the books seemed have in common was that they were cheap. They were pulp novels and non fiction with nothing poignant to say even before the wet and wolf mastication had ruined them.

It was curious, though... Charlene knew a little about animals, and knew that there was no reason for dogs or wolves, even hungry ones, to chew on books. And none of the books were completely destroyed either. They were just slightly damaged, mildly mauled. And a lot of them had been stacked after they'd been chewed.

It certainly didn't feel random.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene flipped through a few books and considered the strange gnaw marks. Maybe someone around here had a habit of gnawing on books... like some people had a habit of gnawing the end of their pencil when they were thinking, or bored. Charlene shook her head at the strange image.

She put the books back where she'd taken them. Someone apparently cared about where they were, to have placed them in this way, perhaps enough to notice any displaced books.

Moving on, she stopped in front of the ancient oak desk and considered the rubble. The place made her curious. If you just wanted ruin and a sense of decay you could get it with much less effort. This was more like... a painting. But who had been the painter?

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Beating up flesh-eating monsters is my day job. I have hobbies," Vorel said with a brief smile, lying down. "I used to work for Solutions. Applied Software Engineering - that is to say, Artificial Intelligence and Cyberwarfare."
    "Solutions. You're going to have explain that one to me. I only have this vague memory of reading the name somewhere as a little tech startup." As Isabelle spoke, the faintest tinge of glamour could be felt, almost a memory rather than an actual sensation.

"Right, lets have a look at you." She said, as she bent to the task.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

The next forty minutes did a good deal to solidify Jon’s opinions on the Autumn Court. Judging by their architecture, they were either insane, or intensely cerebral, and quite possibly a healthy portion of both. In any case, this wing of the house was definitely not to his taste, and he slightly regretted leaving the more familiar surroundings of Summer so quickly.

Still, there was more to be seen, and since exploring the house seemed like his best shot at staying active in spite of the weather, he pushed on, searching for the beginnings of Winter quarters. He silently hoped that they had at least slightly more sense when it came to laying out their rooms.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno what Thanqol has planned for winter, or if it’s any different from what Charlene has seen. If you want to meet up or would rather avoid bumping into one another Deadly, I’m cool either way.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Charlene flipped through a few books and considered the strange gnaw marks. Maybe someone around here had a habit of gnawing on books... like some people had a habit of gnawing the end of their pencil when they were thinking, or bored. Charlene shook her head at the strange image.

She put the books back where she'd taken them. Someone apparently cared about where they were, to have placed them in this way, perhaps enough to notice any displaced books.

Moving on, she stopped in front of the ancient oak desk and considered the rubble. The place made her curious. If you just wanted ruin and a sense of decay you could get it with much less effort. This was more like... a painting. But who had been the painter?
    That assessment seemed curiously correct. This entire wing was studied in it's disrepair. Artistic, almost. But whatever message was here she lacked the cipher to understand it.

Jon's experience of the Winter wing was similar to Charlene's, though there was the instinctive sense that there was something about those claw marks. It was his discretion if he met with Charlene.

"Solutions. You're going to have explain that one to me. I only have this vague memory of reading the name somewhere as a little tech startup." As Isabelle spoke, the faintest tinge of glamour could be felt, almost a memory rather than an actual sensation.

"Right, lets have a look at you." She said, as she bent to the task.
    Vorel's wounds were healing really well. She'd done an exceptional job last night, and paired with the effects of that blue drink it looked like she'd be back to health before the week was out.

"Solutions, well, imagine that a science fiction movie came true and incorporated. They've got everything," Vorel thought, trying to come up with examples. "Fusion cells. Functional artificial trees for carbon capture and storage. Fully functional prosthetics. Advanced 3D printing. It's amazing, best place in the world to work."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-18 at 01:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene shook her head and gave up trying to understand it. Maybe it was some inside thing. She'd have to ask Felix, or someone else, about it sometime.

She turned away from the desk and continued on at random.

[I'm fine with meeting up. I can't think of much to do here right now otherwise]

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Although it was a relief to finally break free of Autumn’s maze-like architecture, Jon soon found that Winter had its own oddities. This part of the house felt like a ruin, with ragged holes in the roof and piles of debris scattered on the floor. As he wandered farther in however, Jon started to wonder if it might all be part of the design. After the rooms he’d just come through, the idea seemed less far-fetched than he'd like; maybe this was the sort of thing that Felix and his Court viewed as realism...

When Jon turned the corner of a shabbily maintained hallway hung with stained and weather-ravaged pictures down one wall, he imagined he heard movement to his left. Without thinking, he slid up against the wall and crouched slightly, slowing his breathing as he strained to hear better.

Then, catching himself, Jon winced and pulled away from the wall, squaring his shoulders and moving slightly more confidently toward the room the sounds were coming from. As he glanced around the corner, Jon realized that it was only Charlene, and the residual tension drained from his chest. He made a few shuffling sounds to alert her to his arrival and tried to think up a casual greeting.

“Oh, hi Charlene! You wandering the house too?”

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene perked up as she heard something shuffling, and turned around. Seeing it was only Jon she relaxed.

"Yes. It seemed like a good way to start. But if there is anything to find here it is well hidden, I think. Very odd place." She said, putting a piece of rubble she had been studying back down where she'd taken it. "All I've found is rubble and gnawed books. How about you?"

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

"And that holographic phone too."

Isabelle should've been happy with the speed at which Vorel was healing, but she only frowned as she inspected the rapidly improving injuries. It was fast, miraculously, supernaturally fast ... but it still wasn't fast enough.

There had been occasions in her durance where she'd had to perform a role beyond simply moving air; times where, for effect or narrative drama, a person's life had to be sustained. The informant who had to last until the hero arrived before giving up their precious tidbit of information, the villain, broken and battered who had to survive to make his dramatic return in the next act.

Her keeper had never cared who it was who had had to do this work, maybe he hadn't really understood its necessity. Out of sight, out of mind, had been his views on the matter. And so, nobody had taken up the job, and nothing had learned well from her experiences.

The memories were a blur of sensations, images and emotions. She may not have been truly herself during this time, but these skills had been honed into her very essence.

She kept talking as she worked, something that felt surprisingly precious now that she had her body back.

"It's almost too much to believe, that a company could do all that in what, less than ten years? What was it like working for them?"

21. - Top - End - #591

"And that holographic phone too."

Isabelle should've been happy with the speed at which Vorel was healing, but she only frowned as she inspected the rapidly improving injuries. It was fast, miraculously, supernaturally fast ... but it still wasn't fast enough.

There had been occasions in her durance where she'd had to perform a role beyond simply moving air; times where, for effect or narrative drama, a person's life had to be sustained. The informant who had to last until the hero arrived before giving up their precious tidbit of information, the villain, broken and battered who had to survive to make his dramatic return in the next act.

Her keeper had never cared who it was who had had to do this work, maybe he hadn't really understood its necessity. Out of sight, out of mind, had been his views on the matter. And so, nobody had taken up the job, and nothing had learned well from her experiences.

The memories were a blur of sensations, images and emotions. She may not have been truly herself during this time, but these skills had been honed into her very essence.

She kept talking as she worked, something that felt surprisingly precious now that she had her body back.

"It's almost too much to believe, that a company could do all that in what, less than ten years? What was it like working for them?"
    "Unreal. I went to my boss one time and said, 'the project I'm working on has hit a dead end, the technology to support it does not exist'. He made a phone call and the next day a truck shows up with this crystalline nanoprocessor and my Printer gets schematics for how to produce more. I was working on the next generation of the Internet - cables, wires, fibre-optic, it's all outdated. We can transmit information via light. Like, from a light bulb. Cheap too - imagine every light bulb, every street light an open wireless internet connection at mind-blowing speeds."

Vorel was clearly extremely excited by the topic, but constantly seemed to pull herself back from spilling over into technical details.

With the wound healing so well, different medical questions arose. What were those scales made of? In general they were soft, warm, and smooth, but around the bullet holes they were dead, metallic and brittle. Just how far had the girl's biology shifted from her conversion into a dragon? She'd only caught a glimpse of the phone's scan last night and there wasn't time to go over it in detail, but at least a few organs were labelled 'unknown'.

"I worked there and I couldn't believe it either. And don't even start on the medical department, those guys aren't even pretending they're not wizards."

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle couldn't supress a smile as Vorel launched into her description of life at Solutions; the dragoness' enthusiasm was infectious. From a strictly practical standpoint, the enthusiasm was also good for keeping her in a positive mental state as Isabelle examined the entry wounds.

She was just about to ask Vorel if she could borrow the holophone again when the conversation topic piqued her interest.

"Wait, you mean to tell me the medical department has more up its sleeve than fully functioning prostheses?" She said, having found that first claim already hard to believe.

23. - Top - End - #593

"During my physical they gave me a shot and said I was immunised against the common cold," Vorel said, "something I'm reasonably sure isn't possible." She sneezed into her elbow, "I guess it doesn't work on magical versions," she muttered through a blocked nose.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Jon chuckled a little, and scratched his head, “What have I found? Well, odd is a good word... I just, uh, escaped the Autumn section of the house. It’s... a little crazy - lots of twists and turns, and two kitchens - remember that, it’s confusing if you don’t realize it.” He frowned, “I don’t know if it’s their idea of a joke, or if they actually like things that way. It reminded me of - “ he had nearly said the forest, but that felt a little too close to home; instead, “a maze.”

“Summer is cool though! They have a bunch of neat junk lying around, and some really awesome autographed sports equipment. I’m pretty sure I saw Hanesbro’s basketball, and they have an autographed photo of Jim Thorpe, like a poster I used to have, but I think this one might be the original...” Jon’s eyes lit up as he described Summer’s hoard, and he seemed to relax just a hair while he spoke.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

"Immunised ... that's im- ... well, okay I get your point." Isabelle said. She really wanted to get a look at the stuff this company was putting out, the things she could do with that kind of technology ...

She gave herself a mental shake, now wasn't really the time to get distracted with that stuff.

"I don't suppose you have that smartphone handy do you? Might be worthwhile having another look at what it can do here."

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll steer clear of Autumn, then." Charlene had been thinking of going there next, but decided to skip that idea. She looked interested as he began describing Summer. "Sports equipment? I might take a look at that."

27. - Top - End - #597

"Immunised ... that's im- ... well, okay I get your point." Isabelle said. She really wanted to get a look at the stuff this company was putting out, the things she could do with that kind of technology ...

She gave herself a mental shake, now wasn't really the time to get distracted with that stuff.

"I don't suppose you have that smartphone handy do you? Might be worthwhile having another look at what it can do here."
    "Oh, sure," Vorel said, taking the slick, smooth golden device out of her pocket. "Mine's the company model, and I've customised it a lot so it's not exactly representative..." Claws danced across golden lights, and then the holograms all became blue and dull. "Settings saved, factory defaults restored, trial mode activated. Here, give it a try." Vorel said, handing it over.

The holograms that projected now were a lot simpler, less chaotic, much more comprehensible, and significantly more labelled. They floated slowly around Isabelle's field of view. There were recognisable applications, like 'calculator', 'internet explorer', 'media', and 'contact'. As her eyes focused on any of them, that hologram would drift to the foreground, and if she looked away it would drift into the background again. It was like scrolling with a touchscreen, except using your eyes. The process was very intuitive.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle spent a few moments literally glancing through the interface while marvelling at the technology. This phone, the holograms, it was futuristic in the way that flying cars were to movies set in the 80's. She could hardly believe that she was actually seeing actual three dimensional imaging, let alone a phone interface designed around it.

She flicked through till she found the medical app and activated it, eager to see just what more it could tell her.

"Do the street model phones compare to this one? Or does Solutions keep the best for themselves?"

29. - Top - End - #599

The holographic medical display arranged itself in soft blue light. It produced a 3D cross-section of the Dragoness' anatomy right down to the bones. A popup tutorial box explained some basic features and arranged some sliders - pulling on them would strip layers of muscle away, or reduce the image to bones or blood vessels. It didn't look nearly as complex as it had last night.

> Current Medical Issues:
    > Influenza virus <strain unknown>
    > Gunshot damage to lower abdomen
    > Chronic bone deformities
    > Unknown organs

Indicating either option would bring up an arrangement of suggested treatments. It avoided using complicated terminology, like a doctor giving advice to a patient rather than a tool for a doctor performing surgery.

A fair bit of Vorel's anatomy, including the shape of her legs, claws, wings and skull the machine was having a bit of an issue with, suggesting that the patient should be very, very dead if that had happened to her.

"Yeah, we keep most of the high end stuff in house until Rio orders a rollout." Vorel said, "My phone had all the apps and settings unlocked, including the stuff I never thought I'd use, like medical and bomb disposal."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-20 at 08:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Jon’s expression brightened further as the conversation turned to a topic he felt more at home discussing, “Oh yeah, they’ve got boxes full of stuff in the basement there - basketballs, footballs, nets, some hockey gear, and even some stuff I’m not that familiar with. I had a lot of fun just poking around, though it makes me wish we had enough people to set up a game of something...” Jon glanced toward a gap in the roof at the weather outside and sighed softly.

Spoiler
    Show