New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Jon rubbed the back of his neck, a little embarrassed that his lie had taken hold so easily. "Yeah, what can I say... ? Look, don't be a stranger, Jess, ok? Take good care of yourself, and have fun at school, but don't do anything too crazy." He tried to smile at the last advice, but the grin felt weak, even to him.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Jon rubbed the back of his neck, a little embarrassed that his lie had taken hold so easily. "Yeah, what can I say... ? Look, don't be a stranger, Jess, ok? Take good care of yourself, and have fun at school, but don't do anything too crazy." He tried to smile at the last advice, but the grin felt weak, even to him.
    "All right. Take care, all right?" Jess punched him lightly in the shoulder and started to walk away.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

It really was truly and utterly amazing how easily she had simply shrugged off what she had seen, Charlene thought as Jess left. She couldn't decide if it was a blessing or a curse.

She looked at Jon to see how he was doing.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle grunted in dissatisfaction as Jess walked off, not the best end to the reunion but it certainally could've been worse.

She waited until Jess got further away before speaking.

"C'mon, let's get out of here."

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

Jon rubbed his shoulder thoughtfully as Jessica walked off. Honestly, he would have preferred that she'd really hit him, or been screaming at him, as long as she'd believed. Of course, now he had to consider that it might be safer and easier for her if she never found out the truth, and he didn't know how to deal with that...

Isabelle's voice managed to break him out of his trance momentarily, and he shrugged slightly as his sister disappeared around a corner. "Sure, no reason to stay anymore..."

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ettin in the Playground

"Maybe we'll have more luck with Vikrum." Isabelle said, not really expecting to be proven right.

She led the others back out of the university to the road, keeping a wary and hopeful eye out for any more close encounters of the Scottish kind.

7. - Top - End - #1087

Their way out of the university would be fortunately unmolested. They'd have to catch a bus or a cab to get to Vickrum's office, which was in the city.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

"What time is it?" Charlene asked as they walked to the road. "I don't think he's waiting for us, if we're not in a hurry perhaps we could take a brief shopping tour first? Maybe get something to drink." After all that had happened she felt like a nice, relaxing walk in the city would be a nice change of pace.

[We can just skip over that with a post or two, of course. I'm curious to see what Vickrum is like, but Charlene's had her mind set on getting some proper clothes and a pair of shades for a while. I can't help but think she's not entirely comfortable running around in other people's outdated clothes ]

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Troll in the Playground

Jon shrugged absently, "Sure."

For the moment, there was nowhere he had to be, and the only thing he really wanted was some way to get his mind off the scene with Jessica. That was going to be much easier said than done though, it seemed.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1090

The mall would be a bastion of normality. A bland kind of stylish, carbon-copied off more successful malls somewhere else in the world. Everything was where it was expected to be, with the exception of the Solutions-brand products here and there on the shelves.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle looked around the mall with a strange sense of nostalgia. Back before ... things happened, she used to spend hours in the foodcourts of places just like this chatting away the time with her friends. The fashion brands were different now and the restaurants had different names, but they still served the same types of food and the same overpriced imports that they always had.

She glanced at her reflection as they passed one of the stores. The jacket she wore was old, but still appropriate. She might need to pick up a new shirt and trousers, but the dress was still servicable ... and a part of her was reluctant to use up any more of their limited cash than she had to.

"Well, you guys grab what you want." She said. "I don't think I need to get much of anything besides a bite to eat."

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

The first thing Charlene bought was a pair of cheap shades. Nice and dark. "Just try to blind me now," she muttered to herself and smirked as she tried them on. The world felt infinitely better seen through a deep shadow.

She spent some time looking for clothes and trying some on, leaving her friends to either follow along or go get a bite without her. It felt good to be here, just doing ordinary shopping, like an ordinary person.

It had to be cheap bargain clothes, but that didn't mean she couldn't find something that was at least half decent and fit together. She ended up with a pair of long skirts, a single pair of jeans, some plain shirts, shoes and a short, black fake-leather jacket with pockets, along with a few other minor items.

She was feeling rather good as she left the last shop with her new wardrobe.

[I can't remember how much cash we got, but I think she could get this for a fairly cheap price that wouldn't ruin her current economy as long as she sticks to bargains. Of course she's quite enjoying this and could absolutely have made do with less, like Isabelle, but Charlene is rather conscious of her looks and does have Lust as a vice, so she might indulge that just a little bit here ]

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Troll in the Playground

Jon drifted along with Isabelle toward the food court. His clothes might look a little out of place, but he didn't particularly care to buy anything else at the moment; he was still a little too shocked to care.

On the upside, the blandness of the mall was reassuring - a neutral backdrop where he could let his mind wander without having to keep his guard up every moment, and it was only then that he realized how stressed he'd been over the past few days... He still didn't feel like he was home, not really.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene found the others in the food court and set down her bags. "I think I had better stop before I get tempted to spend all my money," she said. "How are you two doing?"

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle, by comparison, only had the one small bag that bore the label of a relatively cheap designer brand. She'd also had time to procure a burger and fries, which sat, partially eaten, on the table in front of her.

"Eh, not too bad" she replied, in the moment between bites. "No big surprises or demon security guards, which is a nice change of pace. The only thing that got me was that the burgers are a couple of dollars more expensive than I remember"

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle glanced briefly at Jon, who seemed to be in a rather quiet mood, before returning her attention to Charlene.

"Want a chip?"

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene noticed the food. "Oh ... yes, thank you," she said and sat down. "I almost forgot about food."

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Troll in the Playground

Jon gave a little wave as Charlene approached, but for the most part he remained quiet. The only thing in front of him was some mall food, which he seemed to be working on pretty steadily.

After a long sip of his drink, Jon's curiosity finally got the better of him, and he spoke up. "So, what exactly is the plan with Vickrum?"

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

"I thought we'd just turn up to his office and ask to see him." Isabelle replied as she pushed the chips closer to Charlene. "Don't see why it has to be complicated, particularly if we're bringing a new Winter Court member to see him.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene took a few of the offered chips, wondering if maybe she should order her own. She decided she wasn't that hungry and a few should do. She nodded in agreement. "And if he's not in, or is busy, we just get an appointment for later."

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Troll in the Playground

Jon nodded, and popped a fry in his mouth. "But what are you going to talk to him about, if you get a chance to meet?"

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ettin in the Playground

"I figured "hello" and "Talmage told us you could help" would do well enough, you sure you aren't overthinking it?" Isabelle replied, pausing only to finish off her burger.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't honestly know what to expect, or how he can help me," Charlene said quietly. "But maybe he can help me find a job, a new identity, a place to live. I just want to ask him what options are out there, and take it from there. I imagine he's used to this sort of thing and knows how it goes, which is good because I don't." She looked at a chip for a while before eating it.

"But let's go and find out."

24. - Top - End - #1104

Vickrum & Costbridge,
    Attorneys At Law

The building didn't live up to the sign. The sign was black marble, raised in a laser-cut pillar out of the ground, surrounded by dark green ferns. The building itself was squat, angular, and modern, black mirror glass and pointed windows. The sprinklers were on when they arrived, giving a taste of cold tropical wet. The sign made it look like you were on your way to talk to a professional, the building looked more like a real estate office.

The lobby was surprisingly comfortable looking. Large sofas, coffee tables with magazines and posters on the wall with big titles like "WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?", and certificates of appreciation from fundraising events and local communities. It was an open and spacious room, designed to make people feel comfortable. It was also notably designed with rather prominent features for the disabled.

The secretary behind the counter looked good, looked the proper kind of professionally reassuring young man who'd nod empathetically while he helped you out with a problem. He smiled and stood as the Motley approached him, offering his hand to shake. "Good afternoon, welcome to Vickrum & Costbridge. How can we help you?"

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Troll in the Playground

Jon let his eyes play over the lobby; at the very least he could flip through a magazine while they waited.

At the secretary's introduction, he glanced between his friends, looking to see how they should introduce themselves.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle gave Charlene a subtle nudge forward, intending for her to take the lead on her court's home turf.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

[And me who hates introductions and taking initiative ]

Charlene looked around as they entered, but turned her attention to the friendly secretary when he spoke up. "Hi, it was suggested to me that I see mr. Vickrum. Is he available or do we need an appointment?"

28. - Top - End - #1108

"Yes ma'am, I can absolutely get you a meeting with him. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions first so he knows what to expect? Firstly, is this about a claim, or are you seeking advice?" said the young man, the very picture of politeness and civility.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Yes ma'am, I can absolutely get you a meeting with him. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions first so he knows what to expect? Firstly, is this about a claim, or are you seeking advice?" said the young man, the very picture of politeness and civility.
    "Of course," Charlene said politely, not really sure how else to go about this. It wasn't like she had expected him to have an open consultation, although that would have been easier, of course. "Advice is what we need right now most of all."

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Troll in the Playground

As he stood there, Jon tried to decide if he had any questions for Vickrum. Of course, he had more than enough of them in general, most relating to how he could possibly get his life back in order, and if doing that really meant he would have to kill his fetch.

That thought bothered him - he was upset that the thing had tried to take his place (and more than a little worried it had succeeded) but he wasn't sure Ash's idea was the best... It wasn't even that he didn't want to kill - what he hated was just sliding back in place, pretending nothing had happened and letting his Keeper win. After all, if his family didn't find out the truth, how could he be sure he wasn't living his fetch's life, rather than his own?

Spoiler
    Show