New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

"Well then you can name a price or an indicative and I will choose whether I want to pay it." replied Isabelle. "There's no way I'm giving you a blank check over my life."

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

Jon found himself nodding just a little at Isabelle's words. He hadn't expected to be very interested in dealing with Vickrum, but the man had so far managed to turn him off completely.

It didn't help that he wasn't in the most forgiving of moods at the moment, nor that the only identity he truly wanted was his own. Back from his fetch and Keeper. It seemed best for everyone if he just kept his mouth shut.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Well then you can name a price or an indicative and I will choose whether I want to pay it." replied Isabelle. "There's no way I'm giving you a blank check over my life."
    "Of course not. It would be ranked as a Medial favour - assuming you know enough about Pledgecrafting to know what that means? Enough to inconvenience you and cost you time and resources, not enough to put your life in severe danger." Vickrum said.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ettin in the Playground

"Same thing in the end - Look, I'm not saying that I wouldn't be willing to do some work in exchange. That'd be fair. But to surrender my right to agree to what that work is, or when I have to undertake it? No way." Isabelle replied, shaking her head.

5. - Top - End - #1145

"Lady, right now you're fresh out of the hedge, with no name, no skills, no allies, no contacts, no reputation, no friends and no understanding of what the hell is going on," said Vickrum. "This is me offering you a line of credit. You can come back in a year's time once you've had time to establish yourself and carve out a niche, gather something I want and make it clear what you're willing to trade in exchange for this service. That's fine, I'll wait. If you'd like me to do this for you now I get to set the terms. Or you can make an offer."

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene watched the argument go back and forth. She wasn't entirely clear on what had gone wrong between the two, but that didn't matter so much, they probably both had some of the blame and both were probably damn stubborn. Knowing her friend's temper, what was important was to not let it turn into a riot.

"Perhaps I can make an offer, then." She looked at Isabelle. "What if I offer to pay for you, and you can owe me instead of him? Payment by proxy, I pass on the tasks he gives me to you, if you decline I will do it instead and we find some other way for you to repay me?" It was damn silly, but sometimes you had to think silly. "Assuming that is acceptable to all. Either way, you can always leave it for now and think about it. Let's talk about it later, alright?"

[Urgh ... my head feels awful today ]

7. - Top - End - #1147

"That sounds entirely acceptable," said Vickrum.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle's grimace conveyed her opinion of the alternate arrangements.

"We'll talk about this later then."

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Troll in the Playground

Jon tried to catch Isabelle's eyes without turning his head too far, trying to show that he agreed.

Maybe in a year they would come back - maybe in a year he would know what it was that he was doing; or maybe by then they'd all be dead, if Vickrum's words were really true. All Jon knew right then was that he didn't care much for Winter's treatment and that what he wanted most was to stop thinking about anything and everything for a little while.

Maybe he could sleep the feeling off. If he didn't dream, anyway...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Some quiet, at least ...

Charlene turned her attention back to Vickrum. She almost felt like apologizing, but then ... it wasn't really her who should have to do that. "Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I assume I will need a photo for the ID, is there anything else I will need? As for work, I will think about your offers and return to you," without these two she added mentally.

11. - Top - End - #1151

"No, unless you have further questions," Vickrum said. "Oh yes, I can also provide training in a variety of fields if you wish to learn."

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Troll in the Playground

Jon did his best not to focus on Vickrum so he wouldn't get angrier. Instead, he let his gaze take in the diplomas, the books, and all the fine trappings of the lawyer's office. From everything he could see, it was certainly a nice place, but he was very sure it wasn't the place for him.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene considered for a second. She had decided to take a closer look at the training facilities in the Summer wing, and she'd be looking for a gun as soon as she got the money for it. But a shooting range shouldn't be hard to find, it wasn't something she expected she'd need help for. "You mean you offer training yourself, or you offer help finding the right school or trainer?"
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-09-26 at 05:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1154

"Either or. There are a lot of powerful secrets that take time to master, temporal and magical," said Vickrum. "If your capabilities have limits, Winter can expand them."

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Once again Charlene found her thoughts had been drifting around the mundane too much to consider much about the magical. But the mundane concerns were pretty big right now, so it probably was understandable. "I will certainly keep that in mind. Thank you."

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ettin in the Playground

Not having much else to say, Isabelle just sat in her chair and stewed on disgruntlement.

17. - Top - End - #1157

"Very well. Unless there is anything else, you are welcome back here whenever you chose," Vickrum said.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't look like her friends had anything else on their mind, and Charlene wasn't sure she cared to discuss anything serious with him with them sitting there scowling beside her, giving him the evil eye and what not. Better to come back later. That would also give her time to consider the options.

"Thank you," she said and got back up to leave. "I think that was all for now. I will return when I've given it all some thought."

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Troll in the Playground

Jon stood up with Charlene and began to follow her out, hoping the ride back to their temporary home would at least be calm.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle strode out behind Jon.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene took her time to give the receptionist a polite farewell on their way out. Once outside her smile vanished. "Thank you so much. It's so much easier to talk to someone when your friends give them a really evil eye the whole time, maybe next time you should start by insulting his mother. That'd be very helpful! I'm sure he'd love to help us all if you do that."

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle glanced sideways at her friend, unused to hearing Charlene speak like that.

"Yeah, well, as far as I'm concerned, he can take his help and cram it - the guy's way too eager to tie strings to us."

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't forget that he almost shot us. And it's not like he's the nicest person we've met today." Jon could feel himself getting stressed; he really didn't need to end today on bad terms with his friends.

"Look, I don't know... maybe I shouldn't have come along. I don't mind if you work for him, but he just rubbed me the wrong way." His last words came out in a tone that almost made it to apologetic.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene took a long breath. "Sorry, I just ... have you considered that maybe he wasn't very helpful or friendly because you were giving him the evil stare the whole time? And when you consider that he might be seeing people like Cludge, or worse, on a regular basis, I frankly can't blame him for the gun. It wasn't as if he looked like he was going to actually use it unless we did something stupid." She sighed. "Maybe he has his faults, but he seemed reasonable enough to me. Maybe your own Prince can help you out, but I suspect they're all going to point you to Vickrum for the ID."

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ettin in the Playground

"Then I'll deal with him, but under my own terms" Isabelle said, "Not under his 'charity', where he can ransom my life of my friend's against me"

A grimace passed over her face, memories unbidden of tales lived and deaths wittenessed rising in her mind. "Besides, he did look like he was going to shoot us. I dunno, you know your guns better than me on that ..."

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Jon sighed, "Yeah, but I don't know if I even want another ID... I just need some time to think about things. And... look, I'm sorry if I screwed up. I'm sick of saying the wrong thing and pissing people off today. I don't want to do that anymore..."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle gave Jon a nudge.

"Hey, it's alright. We're cool." she replied, glancing at Charlene. "Aren't we?"

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene sighed. "Yeah. I just ... I think you're being a little unfair to him, but if you don't need his help that's cool. I know you're not looking for a new life, Jon. But Isabelle ... maybe he couldn't tell you what the job would be because he didn't know. Maybe all he can tell you is that he has the occasional job that needs doing. I'm sure he's not looking to make you do outrageous things, and if he was unfriendly it may have just been the mood."

"And about the gun, I'm sure he would have shot if we had attacked him, but we knew he wouldn't have to. It was a warning, and I'm willing to believe that he has every reason to fear from those who might walk through his door. Just ... look at us. Who knows what we're capable of."

She sighed again and looked down at her hands. "You don't have to like him, or deal with him, for my sake. But it would have been a little less stressful talking to him without the mood, and maybe he's the only real option here. You're my friends, I don't want you to screw up your ability to get that ID just because of one poor impression on a bad day. That's all."

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Troll in the Playground

"To be honest, I just want to get back and try to get some sleep." Jon's expression tensed, "I don't know if it'll help that much though."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene sighed. "I know. It's been a trying few days, maybe we're all a little on edge. Let's get back and wait for Felix," she said and began heading back.