Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

"Yeah, okay." Isabelle said "I guess Gammy Snaps can wait till tomorrow then."

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Charlene paused a little. "It's probably better, unless you both want to see her now. Do we even know where to find her?"

deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

There's still plenty of time before Felix came by, and you have Gammy Snaps' address. It's not too far a walk, a hilltop manor you can see from here.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

"I mean, we don't have to go leave right now. And we can't anyway, until Felix shows up. If you want to go talk with her, it's fine by me, I'm just not going to be very good company." Jon looked up toward the house where Gammy Snaps would be waiting.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I guess we have to talk to her eventually. But after everything else today I'm not sure I feel up to it right now." Isabelle replied, truthfully. Apart from the encounter with a specific groundskeeper, today had just been one demoralising setback after another so far.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

Charlene nodded. It had been a trying day. "On the other hand, we might as well get it all over with in one day. That way we have that much less to deal with tomorrow."

Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Troll in the Playground

"Waiiit." Isabelle said, realising all too slowly where her friends were going with this. "You guys mean to tell me you actually want to go deal with her today?"

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

"As much as I want anything else right now, I guess." Jon leaned against one of the lamp posts rising from the sidewalk. "Beside, Charlene has a point - we might as well get this out of the way. I mean, who knows what tomorrow will turn out like after this?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ettin in the Playground

Charlene nodded. "Not exactly want, but I'm willing to get it over with."

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

"Riiight, okay then." Isabelle shrugged, turning to look at the manor in the near distance. "Well let's get to it then, just everyone be ready to bolt the second she decides to call you Fred, or whoever that guy is that she hates."

"It probably won't save you, but hey!" She added, after a pause for thought.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

“Running is something I can handle,” Jon said.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Gammy Snaps' manor was...

The big words, the words that set the tone, were cold, grey-green, overgrown and ruined. It looked like a battle had been fought here, and not a battle between ordinary people. Walking into the grey stone courtyard the Lost could see the scars in the wall even underneath the ivy; the statue that had been twisted and melted by some immense heat, the gouges in the ground and walls from some huge animal's talons, the iron gate that had been torn off it's hinges.

Half the house was collapsed, a huge heap of rubble. The other half stood gaunt and defiant, like a castle keep emerging from the rubble of the ruined fortress. The front door was heavy, solid wood, and was opened as they approached by an extremely fat butler with a monocle and a walrus moustache. Looking closely they'd be able to see actual walrus tusks underneath.

"Good afternoon," said the walrus man. "What can I do for you?"
    To improve is to change

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

"Uh, good afternoon" Isabelle replied, wondering if - between the haughty Felix and this new guy - they were going to go through the entire list of cliche butlers before much longer. Regardless, she didn't see any reason to beat around the bush here.

"My friends and I recently arrived in town, and were just made aware of the nightmares that many people here had been sharing. When we asked about it, Talmage referred us here."

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ettin in the Playground

Charlene looked around at the ruined, embattled place as they walked up to the door. It wasn't the strangest thing they had seen, nor was the walrus man. Still she wondered if no one ever noticed it and thought about it. Probably not much, and they would never suspect the truth.

Isabelle beat her to the introduction, so Charlene just gave a nod in agreement.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

"Certainly. Be careful, on it's best days this house is merely haunted," said the walrus butler.

As he started to lead them into the manor, he spoke. "I must warn you that by most conventional understandings of sanity, Gammy Snaps is completely deranged. I will tell you, though, that she can see the future and is the second most powerful of this city's Lost - after Amy Acre, of course. Do not anger her, do not offend her, and do not dismiss anything she does as an act of mere insanity. It could be a prophecy that could change the lives of more than you and yours."
    To improve is to change

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

That certainly bodes well for the rest of the day.

"Thank you for the warning," Charlene said a little weakly as she followed, watchful of any haunting presences.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

Isabelle followed the walrus man quietly, looking around and taking in the sights as they entered the battered manor.

Inwardly, she was fervently hoping that Gammy Snaps might be a shade less homocidal than everything else they'd encountered today.

It was a wan hope.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

The butler held the door open for them and stayed outside.

Inside the room was both grand and barren. Uncarpeted wooden floorboards and a great, bare window of glass and metal. A huge wooden table with room for fifteen, and chairs of foreign mahogany. No portraits or decorations adorned the walls. The sunset poured in through the windows bathing the room in golden light, dust motes floating free.

Gammy Snaps sat at the head of the table, straight-backed and severe. Her hair was grey and her face severe, and there was iron in her gaze. Her dress was a simple but stylish construction, black for mourning. She looked like she had been waiting for them.

"Waldo?" she said, looking at Isabelle with a very severe, restrained sort of politeness. "What an unexpected pleasure."
    To improve is to change

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Troll in the Playground

Waldo. At least it wasn't Fred ... or whoever it was that was meant to be a "100% Run the heck away" sign.

She really should've written that bit down.

Rolling with the sitation, she replied to Gammy Snaps with similar formality.

"It is good to see you too, Mrs Snaps. How are you today?"

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, you know. Chilly. From the hole in the roof. That you still haven't fixed," said Snaps icily. "But you and Argave are never in the same place unless you want something, so out with it."

She perhaps indicated Jon when she said Argave.
    To improve is to change

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

[It was surprisingly hard to find that name again, you know. Took me several searches because apparently you misspelled her name as Grammy that time, and I could have sworn it was Waldo she didn't like, but I guess not ... page 19, Bernie, oh gosh ]

We're off to a good start, Charlene thought as she tried to remember who not to be. A leaky roof wasn't the worst she could imagine being blamed for.

Didn't Jon have the broken dreamcatcher?

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

Jon tried to resist the urge to glance back over his shoulder in the creepy house. The warning about the place being haunted had set him on edge, but he was helped in his efforts by the fact that he really didn't want to make a bad impression on their host. Assuming he even had a say in the matter.

Once it looked like Gammy Snaps wasn't going to mistake him for Bernie, Jon relaxed a bit, although he still wasn't sure he liked her tone. Did every Changeling go around just demanding things of each another and yelling?

Reaching a hand into his pocket, Jon pulled out the shattered dreamcatcher and held it up. "We've been staying with Prince Talmage the past couple days, ma'am. I'm in the Herald's room and last night we all had really bad nightmares; when I woke up, I found this dreamcatcher broken on the floor. When we told him about what happened, Talmage said you might be able to tell us more about what it all meant?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

"You've been staying with a prince?" Gammy Snaps looked at him like he was daft. "Argave, if this is some kind of lewd joke it is in poor taste."

But she picked up the dreamcatcher and turned it over in her hands. "Broken eggshell. Beads cracked. Smell of burned pork... ah yes, I know what this is. Listen closely, Argave, because I'm only going to say this once.

"Dreams have layers, you see, and if you go deep enough the dreams blend together. This comes out into the dream of all people, the dream of humanity. It's a vast place constructed of every idea that ever was, and free fragments of it float up and down between sleeping souls.

"Now, if you can believe it, there are certain rituals primarily conducted by native american shamans that allow them to invade the dreams of others - don't laugh! - and possess them from afar. Or they believe they can use their magical rituals to gain control of a certain nightmare and hurtle it towards your dream space. Dreamcatchers like this are shields against such things, and can imprison an attacking shaman within them. They're also stores for dreams, where favoured memories can be kept and shown to other sleeping souls."
    To improve is to change

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Jon didn't laugh, and was in fact nodding along to Gammy Snaps' explanation. He wasn't sure he really understood it all, but he was trying to at least remember the words so he could think over them later.

"Does the broken dreamcatcher mean that something escaped, then?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

"Or that something attacked you and was stronger than the dreamcatcher," said Snaps.
    To improve is to change

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

Isabelle, listening intently, chimed in with a question.

"So, you think it was something actively attacking us all?"

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Titan in the Playground

"I should be so lucky," grumbled Snaps. "But it would serve you right if it was. Think, Waldo, did you offend any shamans recently? Make a scene in a casino? Welsh on a debt, perhaps?"
    To improve is to change

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

"Not likely, I don't even like to toss rubbish anywhere unless it's a bin." Isabelle replied, shifting uncomfortably

"Which is why we were thinking it had to be something unintelligent, or environmental. The shared nightmares are too unfocused in who they affect to be any kind of attempt at revenge, or even as the predations of some kind of id monster."

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

"Look at you using all those big words!" Snaps scoffed. "Argave must be rubbing off on you. But if it's not a shaman then it's probably a rogue monster in the underdream; there's a few of those around these parts. I suppose you'll have to find a real shaman after all if you want to learn how to fight it."
    To improve is to change

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ettin in the Playground

After everything they had heard about Gammy Snaps, Charlene was quite taken aback by just how lucid the old lady seemed so far. Perhaps they had caught her on a really good day. That didn't mean she understood half of what the crone was saying, but she did think she got at least some of it.

"Where would we find a real shaman who could help us?" Charlene asked uncertainly. After everything she almost expected the answer would be that they could hardly swing a dead cat without hitting a stray shaman, even though her tattered rationality told her that real, authentic shamans ought to be a rare thing.