New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Jon wasn't sure a rogue dream monster was good news, but it did sound better than being actively targeted by someone or something. That sounded far too much like being hunted to his ears.

He was tired of the Hunt.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle pursed her lips and tried to dissect Gammy Snaps' words. The warning from the butler rang loud in her mind, and she knew how these things went - that the cryptically crazy old lady almost always had a useful piece of advice.

Not that Gammy Snaps seemed crazy. In fact, Isabelle had to say that this was going better than she'd expected.

... of course that usually meant things were going to turn worse before too long.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

Jon hesitated before speaking - Gammy Snaps had turned out to be surprisingly intense, but his curiosity won out, “Do you know where we could start looking for a shaman, if we need one?”

[EDIT: Whoops, got my wires crossed and didn't make the connection that Charlene had already asked this question. I think it works as-is, but that was partially an OOC-oops]
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-10-11 at 12:09 AM.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Colossus in the Playground

[Sorry for the slight delay]

Gammy Snaps went quiet when Charlene asked the question, pursing her lips and for a moment looking very intense. When Jon asked it again, she spoke with a definite edge to her voice.

"The problem is shamans don't look like shamans. You can either find one by exploring the Dream, or somehow working out who the town's Witch is. Or you can go to Vegas, there are always shamans there."

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

"Is there anything you could do to help us?" Isabelle asked, not terribly keen on attempting to sift through the undoubtedly high number of fake shamans down in Vegas.

"Either something to help us find a real shaman or to help find out more about these nightmares?"

6. - Top - End - #1206

"Waldo, despite what the state of my roof might lead you to believe, I do not keep the phone numbers of witches and dream shamans on my Rolodex. If you really need the instruction talk to your friend there, I'm sure he knows a lot more than he's letting on." Gammy Snaps said acidly.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Oh God, I'm ... that guy ... Bernie aren't I? Charlene felt a little extra nervous and decided - hopefully wisely - to not say another word unless addressed directly.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

"Which friend?" Isabelle asked, confused. "Do you mean J- ... Argave?"

9. - Top - End - #1209

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Which friend?" Isabelle asked, confused. "Do you mean J- ... Argave?"
    Snaps rolled her eyes.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

Wordlessly, and still puzzled, Isabelle pointed at Charlene and looked to Gammy for confirmation.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Troll in the Playground

Jon was trying not to fidget, but only partially succeeding. Considering that they didn't even know who she thought they were, he was having trouble keeping track of her meaning just as much as his friends. He silently hoped that Talmage or Felix could help them sort it out later on.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene wondered if maybe this was the time to run. "Perhaps I should ... go, if I am not needed?" she said quietly, hoping a polite retreat was the thing to do. Then her two friends could talk to Snaps without her complicating things.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground

Jon gave Charlene a quick glance and a slight shrug. Gammy Snaps seemed cooperative, so he wasn't sure what to say.

For his own part though, another question had occurred to him. "We can try to find one then. By the way, can you tell us anything about wolves made of wood that go around disguised as people in the city? I mean, are they dangerous...?" His thoughts flashed to Jess.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1214

"Did you have anything else to say, or are you done wasting my time?" said Snaps, though it wasn't clear who she was talking to. She was gazing fixedly off into the distance, eyes slightly moving as if she was watching something.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhh, maybe?" Isabelle replied, confused like all heck.

16. - Top - End - #1216

"Unknown? What do you mean unknown?" Gammy Snaps said, raising her voice. "You were asked a simple question!"

She stood up.

The sun went dark.

Snaps' voice spoke into the darkness, shaking with rage "You come here, into my own house, and make a miserable excuse like that? Do you have any idea what is at stake?"

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

Jon's expression passed from confusion to terror at the old woman's behavior. He felt like their two sides of the conversation were happening in separate worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Snaps' voice spoke into the darkness, shaking with rage "You come here, into my own house, and make a miserable excuse like that? Do you have any idea what is at stake?"
    Jon shook his head a fraction in the dark, not finding the courage to speak to Snaps like this. He wanted to be anywhere but the weird old house right now; at this point, he would tolerate Vickrum if it meant getting to leave.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh for the love of -

Isabelle ducked, grabbing the nearest person and pulling them beneath the side of the table with her. She couldn't think of anything to say either, instead trying to pick Gammy out from amidst the blackness - willing her eyes to adjust faster.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene stepped back, shocked by the sudden change of mood and just how confusing it was. What was Snaps seeing and hearing?

Would she even hear what they said? Would saying anything even matter? Would saying nothing make her angry too? God, what am I supposed to do or say? her panicked mind thought, trying frantically to think of something.

"No, we don't know what is at stake," she managed. Or what is going on. "Forgive us, that is why we came to you."

20. - Top - End - #1220

The wall exploded inwards.

A huge, monstrous head had just smashed through it, tearing the timber of the house apart. Massive, rotting jaws opened, releasing the sepulchral stench of a thousand drowned sailors, and a roar that shook the foundations of the room.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

Run

RunRunRunRunRunRunRUN!

That was all Jon's mind could process when the wall shattered, so it took him a second to realize that he was fighting against something. At first, he thought the monster had grabbed him, but as he strained his eyes through the dark, he could just make out Isabelle's face.

Jon relaxed a fraction, and switched to trying to make himself invisible beneath the table, doing his best to avoid the predator's gaze.

[Figured Isabelle could grab Jon, since that's pretty much the only thing to keep him from fleeing through the door...]

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene had no time to scream or any such nonsense. In these situations you don't think, so she didn't think ... she just ran for the door.

It was probably better than hiding with her friends anyway, because surely it had already seen her and then it would just eat all three of them. Maybe she would draw its attention away from them and then hide. Yes ... yes, very heroic.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle meanwhile, was trying to find a way towards Gammy Snaps. Either she needed to get the old cook out of there too, or Gammy was the only one who could deal with the giant head monster thing.

She tried to keep out of sight of the head regardless, not feeling quite that brave right now.

24. - Top - End - #1224

The wooden floorboards under Jon shook, and the wood splintered - something was coming up from below.

The door Charlene opened took her out into a dark corridor. She got saw a brief glimpse of the fat butler running before another massive leviathan head smashed through the wall and tore him to bloody chunks in a single bite.

Snaps was gone, somewhere, somehow. Heading towards where she had been simply brought the attention of the monster directly on Isabelle, and it turned it's blind maw towards her.

Through the holes in the walls, a brief glimpse of the city could be caught - shattered, blackened, ruined, decayed, partially submerged under three feet of stagnant swamp water.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

When Jon felt the floor beneath him begin to give way, he scrabbled desperately back and away from the table, bolting upright and fleeing half-blind toward the nearest exit. His mind was beyond all thought, his legs working off instincts bred during his Durance. Speed and Luck would be his only allies now.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle scrabbled back beneath the table. Where had Gammy Snaps gone? What the hell was going on? Nothing here made sense. She couldn't reason why the city was suddenly submerged or where the heads were coming from ... was it an illusion, another nightmare? Or were these real nightmare monsters?

Swearing voluably in her head, she tried to get as far away from those eyeless abominations as she could as fast as she could.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

[I feel decidedly helpless here ... ]

Charlene wanted to scream at the horror of what she had just seen. She spun around, eyes seeking any kind of exit or place to hide or at least somewhere that didn't have certain death written all over it.

"Isabelle!" She yelled in panic, catching a glimpse of Jon storming past her and Isabelle still under the table. Her hand desperately reached for something, anything to hit back with should something burst out at her.

[So I'm unsure what we all did with our iron. Charlene had her kukri with her in the car when they went to deal with Cludge, but after that I don't think we've mentioned it. I think she might have put it in a handbag before they left, since Charlene likes to have a weapon on her, even if it's not a gun. If that's acceptable, she's going to pull that out, even if it does little good]

28. - Top - End - #1228

The house shuddered as yet another head smashed through the corridor close to them, gnawing for meat with sepulchral jaws.

They were all running at this point. Once, they briefly passed a foggy and smudged window where they could see the beast - a terrible five-headed hydra, covered in strange wounds that seemed to change and warp. It blindly smashed it's heads into the crumbling manor, seeking them with it's jaws.

The house seemed like it would soon collapse at this rate. The lowest floor was waist-deep in water and there were no other escapes.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

If this was the only escape, Charlene wasn't going to stop and ponder her options. "We have to jump," she cried, hoping her friends were with her, even as she swung herself over the stairs, bracing herself for impact with the water. Hopefully it would dampen some of the fall, and even more hopefully there would turn out to be a next step in the plan.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

"Its official" Isabelle said, as she vaulted over the stairwell. "This day suuuuckssss!"