New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Charlene listened without a word, helping herself to seconds. No particular questions seemed to come to mind for her right now.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Caine eh, haven't met him yet ... what's his story?" Isabelle asked. "Please tell me he doesn't have the first name 'Horatio'."
    "Chris Caine. He's an unpleasant shirtbag, day jobs as an extreme right wing radio shock jock. He works Harvest for the Summer Court, so he deliberately is as offensive as possible to get as many listeners angry, which he then harvests for glamour. At least, that's what I tell myself so I don't feel the need to punch him," said Talmage. "If you can tolerate his diatribes and rants, he'll occasionally drop an important prophecy on the air, and he's got a Contract that tells him who's listening so it'll often be aimed directly at you."

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Troll in the Playground

Jon made a note of that. He needed to get back on the political scene anyway, and Caine's coverage would at least tell him what people were yelling about now. He could also use that prophecy... maybe...

"So who else is in the Spring Court? I know we're supposed to have a meeting sometime soon, but I don't really know anyone that'll be there other than you so far." Jon sat back and glanced at Talmage over the top of his coffee cup.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #1294

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Jon made a note of that. He needed to get back on the political scene anyway, and Caine's coverage would at least tell him what people were yelling about now. He could also use that prophecy... maybe...

"So who else is in the Spring Court? I know we're supposed to have a meeting sometime soon, but I don't really know anyone that'll be there other than you so far." Jon sat back and glanced at Talmage over the top of his coffee cup.
    "Jaeger, she's a DJ, works at the Cage. Katie Kicker -" Jon knew that name, that was the mayor's daughter "- good with parties, better with booze. Amara Sharp, though honestly I think she's falling to Winter. And Elene Daisy, primary school teacher, one of the most knowledgeable people in town."

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hah, so basically Jon has broken your perfect record of getting all the ladies?" Isabelle quipped.

Inwardly though, she felt slightly more somber at hearing the roll call for Spring. The season deserved more than five.

6. - Top - End - #1296

"Hah, so basically Jon has broken your perfect record of getting all the ladies?" Isabelle quipped.

Inwardly though, she felt slightly more somber at hearing the roll call for Spring. The season deserved more than five.
    "Well, Autumn is all men, and about the same number, so it balances out," said Talmage.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Well, Autumn is all men, and about the same number, so it balances out," said Talmage.
    "Wow, I didn't know Gammy Snaps still had it in her." Isabelle deadpanned, taking a measured sip of juice.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

"Wow, I didn't know Gammy Snaps still had it in her." Isabelle deadpanned, taking a measured sip of juice.
    Jon suppressed a cough, trying not to choke on his coffee.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1299

"Ask Vorel - she's her husband," teased Talmage. Vorel punched him in the arm, which made him wince.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

So Summer was biggest and Winter second. For some reason Charlene had expected otherwise. For some reason she had expected lots of people wanted to cling to hope and find it in Spring. She should probably ask Vickrum himself about the Winter court, though.

One question did spring to mind, however. "You mentioned that Caine works Harvest for Summer. We met the Harvest guy for Autumn before coming here. Does every court have a Harvester?"

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    So Summer was biggest and Winter second. For some reason Charlene had expected otherwise. For some reason she had expected lots of people wanted to cling to hope and find it in Spring. She should probably ask Vickrum himself about the Winter court, though.

One question did spring to mind, however. "You mentioned that Caine works Harvest for Summer. We met the Harvest guy for Autumn before coming here. Does every court have a Harvester?"
    "It's not an official role or anything - it just works out that people need Glamour, and some people are better at harvesting it than others, and they sell on their surplus. Some people just don't have it in them to make dozens of people sad or scared every day, y'know? Jaeger harvests for Spring, Miyazaki de Roberts harvests for Winter," Talmage chuckles. "Avoid getting them in a room together because they couldn't be more polar opposites."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-31 at 06:53 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Jon managed to recover and finish his coffee while he started planning out the day. At some point he wanted to meet with Pope, just to see what the man was like, and what he might want. Then maybe he could see if he could get in touch with the other Changelings in town - the other Spring courtiers might be able to help him find his feet.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

"One odd question, not sure if you'll be able to answer it, but it's worth a shot as we don't have much else to go on right now." Isabelle said, as she polished off the last of her breakfast. "Do you know if there is anyone else in this town that Snaps treats as Bernie?"

"She told us that we had to ask her about finding a shaman" she said, with a nod towards Charlene. "but I can't help wonder if she thought she was talking about someone else."

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

"She told us that we had to ask her about finding a shaman" she said, with a nod towards Charlene. "but I can't help wonder if she thought she was talking about someone else."
    "And she said something about maybe having to go to Vegas. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to go that far, but if this nightmare creature is really still out there..."

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

"And she said something about maybe having to go to Vegas. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to go that far, but if this nightmare creature is really still out there..."
    "Well, it would be easier to find one closer to home." Isabelle agreed.

16. - Top - End - #1306

"One odd question, not sure if you'll be able to answer it, but it's worth a shot as we don't have much else to go on right now." Isabelle said, as she polished off the last of her breakfast. "Do you know if there is anyone else in this town that Snaps treats as Bernie?"
    "A few. Vickrum and Kicker are two I can recall off the top of my head," said Talmage.

"Oh, hmm. Shamans," Talmage said, leaning back. "Oh boy. Okay, you're going to hear vastly more conjecture than fact if you follow this path, but apparently shamans are people who can travel through and shape dreams without having been taken by the Gentry, and they're much better at it than us. There was a time a few years back when half of Autumn lost a month's worth of memories and some of them swore up and down that it was shamans what did it. I also hear they're ten feet tall and breathe fire, so I don't think I'm an expert on this."

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

"I can almost believe all that," Charlene said. It was amazing how much she could almost believe now. Practically anything. "Aside from Vegas, where might we go to learn more?"

18. - Top - End - #1308

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    "I can almost believe all that," Charlene said. It was amazing how much she could almost believe now. Practically anything. "Aside from Vegas, where might we go to learn more?"
    "Autumn cares the most about this kind of thing, but most of them swore it off after the memory thing. If Snaps isn't being helpful, your best bet is Lafyette, the Magistrate. She technically works for me, like Vorel and Felix, but she never shows up. Does great work without my input. She can also change her face, so she's impossible to find. Best I can say is ask around, find someone who knows, and trade them a favour for it,"

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

"Autumn cares the most about this kind of thing, but most of them swore it off after the memory thing. If Snaps isn't being helpful, your best bet is Lafyette, the Magistrate. She technically works for me, like Vorel and Felix, but she never shows up. Does great work without my input. She can also change her face, so she's impossible to find. Best I can say is ask around, find someone who knows, and trade them a favour for it,"
    "So how does that work? Vorel and Felix work for you, but aren't part of the Spring Court; do they work for whoever is in power? And do the Courts ever meet with one another, like some sort of celebration or holiday?"

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1310

"So how does that work? Vorel and Felix work for you, but aren't part of the Spring Court; do they work for whoever is in power? And do the Courts ever meet with one another, like some sort of celebration or holiday?"
    "Correct, yes, and there's generally a big ol' party at the changing of seasons, when the crown is handed over," said Talmage.

"You should tell them about questing," said Vorel.

Talmage looked irritated.

"Talmage doesn't like questing. Thinks it's too dangerous," elaborated Vorel.

"Okay, yes, fine. I suppose you have a right to know. You know the Hedge, the place you came through to get here? Well it's full of all kinds of powerful magic. If you're daft enough to go back, and you go back with a goal clearly in mind - like to meet with the Magistrate, say, or find a Shaman - then if you stay there long enough it's guaranteed to happen. As long as you're there with your goal in mind, events start shaping to bring that goal to pass."

He raised his hands. "Big catches, though. The bigger the thing you're trying to do is the harder the quest is going to be - it's generally no easier than just doing the damn thing yourself like a normal person. Two, you've got no control over how it's going to happen, just that it happens. Three, you've got to survive in the Hedge for an extended period and continuously follow the quest's storyline wherever it leads. Give up and changes stop happening."

Vorel spoke up again, "You'll have seen Oregon's Hedge from Snaps - it's all like that, a blasted, swampy wasteland. It's important to know that the water is poisoned. Don't drink it, don't wade through it, it'll make you very sick over a matter of hours. Little bits are fine, but it builds up, and takes about a week to wash out of your system. There's a Trod down by the lake that takes you through to a hedge boathouse where a goblin will rent you a boat. He'll always charge the same thing - some item that would be critical to your upcoming quest, like all your food or your firemaking equipment."

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

"Brilliant, I guess I was just hoping that the whole nightmare swamp hydra thing was just Gammy Snaps' imagination." Isabelle groused.

"I mean how do you even fight a hydra? I don't think bullets would work, and with the way our luck goes, that goblin will just charge us all our weaponry anyway."

22. - Top - End - #1312

"Brilliant, I guess I was just hoping that the whole nightmare swamp hydra thing was just Gammy Snaps' imagination." Isabelle groused.

"I mean how do you even fight a hydra? I don't think bullets would work, and with the way our luck goes, that goblin will just charge us all our weaponry anyway."
    "A hydra? Chop off the head with an iron sword and apply fire to the stump to stop it regenerating," said Talmage. "If you need one dead there are people for that. Vorel, or Amy. But yeah, it's a problem. Big risk big reward."

"Small stuff tends to be easy - if you just want to gather some goblin fruit or get someone evicted, no problem. Only extremely classified information, like what Snaps' deal is, is guarded by stuff as big as that hydra," said Vorel.

"Oh yeah, apparently Snaps tried to Quest out an answer for basement guy. She lost and barely made it back alive, and she's Snaps. Don't try that," finished Talmage.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

"The hydra was probably Gammy's work," Charlene muttered as she finished her coffee. "Or so I'd like to hope. I don't like the idea of going back in there unless we have to, in any case."

[And Thanqol joins the Ninja Squad]
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-11-04 at 06:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

"Ok, well, that's all good to know..." Jon looked a little taken aback. Somehow the fact that Gammy Snaps' weirdness only part of a much larger weirdness caught him off-guard. "For right now, I think I'll stick with doing things the normal way. I'm not really big on the hydras, actually."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1315

"Yeah, just do stuff the real world way like real world people," affirmed Talmage. "So what are you going to do then?"

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I'd like to learn about the Courts, and talk to some of the people in them. If going home is harder than I thought, I should at least know who's on my side... or isn't. And of course, I want to help Isabelle and Charlene with the nightmare problem - I'd just rather ask around for one, instead of fighting hydras."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1317

"Well, I'd like to learn about the Courts, and talk to some of the people in them. If going home is harder than I thought, I should at least know who's on my side... or isn't. And of course, I want to help Isabelle and Charlene with the nightmare problem - I'd just rather ask around for one, instead of fighting hydras."
    "Most people are on their own side, and most people trade for favours," said Talmage. "You can get in touch with most courts through their Prince - or the butler, in the case of Snaps."

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

"Most people are on their own side, and most people trade for favours," said Talmage. "You can get in touch with most courts through their Prince - or the butler, in the case of Snaps."
    "That's a start. They should at least know I'm around, and potentially willing to trade to begin with. What sort of things are usually asked?" Jon leaned forward, finding himself a little excited by the prospect of getting back into the business of negotiation.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1319

"That's a start. They should at least know I'm around, and potentially willing to trade to begin with. What sort of things are usually asked?" Jon leaned forward, finding himself a little excited by the prospect of getting back into the business of negotiation.
    "Depends what you've got and what they want. Pope might ask you recon one of Hayseed's camps or get him some iron weapons, Vickrum might want you to do some legwork on a criminal case he's working and so on and so forth. If you've got powers no one else has, like Caine's prophecies or Vorel's martial arts, then you can sell them on. Or you can trade in physical stuff, tokens or glamour or money. It's a barter economy so there's no rules other than finding out what you have and what they want," said Talmage.

"Some people take bets or challenges instead of payment for whatever reason," added Vorel.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-04 at 11:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ugh, I really don't like the idea of tying myself down on unspecified favours, even if thats the way things normally work around here." Isabelle said, recalling how she'd felt when Vikrum had tried to extract one from her. She paused, trying to think about what kind of skills she could offer.

"I don't mind selling skills in return for help that much, but I don't know what kind of a market I'd have - how many Lost in the town have medical experience and such ... also, it's not exactly like I can predict when people will get hurt."