New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Reptile being a gloomer again?" came an unpleasant, scratching voice. Turning around would bring the Changelings into contact with a man who had a face made for radio.

Spoiler
    Show

"Caine, Chris Caine," said the pot-bellied, balding man. "Need glamour, now or ever, I'm your guy."
    "You're the man with the radio show, right?" Jon asked, trying to recall Talmage's descriptions and match them up with faces. He kept quiet about the fact that he wasn't sure he wanted Glamour harvested from Caine's program...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh yeah, Vorel mentioned you were the harvester for the court." Isabelle added, adding a subtle inflection to the dragoness' name. "How's that setup work in practice anyway? Anyone from the court gets access to it, or are there some fees involved?"

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Charlene picked up the pen and signed the contract. "Yes, while I am here, what can you tell me about the Winter court here in the area?"
    "Well, we're one down now Cludge is gone," said Vickrum. "The only one I feel is particularly notable is Miyazaki de Roberts, the court Harvester. She's capable enough to take my job off me if she wasn't so naturally discreet; instead, she serves as court Harvester. There are others, but Winter folk tend to be quite private and solitary people. Only two who regularly show up are Reinback, who's stuck reliving his glory days, and May Trucker - and nobody except Amy Acre knows the wild and Hedge like Trucker."

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    "You're the man with the radio show, right?" Jon asked, trying to recall Talmage's descriptions and match them up with faces. He kept quiet about the fact that he wasn't sure he wanted Glamour harvested from Caine's program...
    "FM 104.5 Patriots," confirmed Caine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Oh yeah, Vorel mentioned you were the harvester for the court." Isabelle added, adding a subtle inflection to the dragoness' name. "How's that setup work in practice anyway? Anyone from the court gets access to it, or are there some fees involved?"
    "Most of the time, I'll sell it to you at a discount. If you're on business from the Court then I hook you up for free," said Caine. "Most of the time what I ask in return is you expand my listener base."

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

"Most of the time, I'll sell it to you at a discount. If you're on business from the Court then I hook you up for free," said Caine. "Most of the time what I ask in return is you expand my listener base."
    "How does that work? I'm guessing it's more personal than just a bumper sticker on your car." Jon ran a hand through his hair, working around the horns.
    orking around the horns.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1355

"How does that work? I'm guessing it's more personal than just a bumper sticker on your car." Jon ran a hand through his hair, working around the horns.
    "Different people got their ways. Some people break into cars and change all the preselects on the radio channel to my station. Honestly, that's my favourite thing to do because they'll be hammering buttons and keep hearing my voice and keep getting angrier and angrier at whatever psycho did that to them," Caine cackled a bit. "Be creative."

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right." replied Isabelle, wondering just how creative one could possibly be in promoting a radio station. Evidently there were ways.

"You been to many of these tournaments?" she asked, by way of changing the subject,

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we're one down now Cludge is gone," said Vickrum. "The only one I feel is particularly notable is Miyazaki de Roberts, the court Harvester. She's capable enough to take my job off me if she wasn't so naturally discreet; instead, she serves as court Harvester. There are others, but Winter folk tend to be quite private and solitary people. Only two who regularly show up are Reinback, who's stuck reliving his glory days, and May Trucker - and nobody except Amy Acre knows the wild and Hedge like Trucker."
    The mention of Cludge took a slight bite out of the mood, but Charlene continued. "I take it there are not many official gatherings or events, then?"

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Troll in the Playground

"Different people got their ways. Some people break into cars and change all the preselects on the radio channel to my station. Honestly, that's my favourite thing to do because they'll be hammering buttons and keep hearing my voice and keep getting angrier and angrier at whatever psycho did that to them," Caine cackled a bit. "Be creative."
    Jon started to respond, when he was suddenly struck by the question of what Spring's harvester charged. He suspected he'd be more willing pay it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. After what happened at the university, it was clear he could benefit from a steadier supply of Glamour.

That thought in turn reminded him that he should work on getting to know his own Court better, considering he'd only really talked with Talmage so far, and he gazed back toward the house as he started making up a to-do list in his head.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1359

"Right." replied Isabelle, wondering just how creative one could possibly be in promoting a radio station. Evidently there were ways.

"You been to many of these tournaments?" she asked, by way of changing the subject,
    "Hah, sure. There's one every month or so," said Caine. "We even won two of them."

The mention of Cludge took a slight bite out of the mood, but Charlene continued. "I take it there are not many official gatherings or events, then?"
    "Not especially; we're relatively private. Every now and then, when there's Court business or someone wants something in particular I put the word out. We also tend to show up to a lot of de Roberts' concerts."

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

"Concerts?" Charlene asked, while slowly getting ready to leave. Seemed like a good place to end the chat and move on to her new task.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hah, sure. There's one every month or so," said Caine. "We even won two of them."
    "Out of the last fifty?" Isabelle replied sardonically. "Anyway, given your show I guess you should know a bit about who's who out here. Any pointers you can give to someone who's new to town?"

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

Jon stood by Isabelle, half-listening to her conversation with Caine while he wondered if Topbreaker would be getting back, and - a little nervously - if he would see Amy Acre before she brought down a paintball storm on them.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1363

"Concerts?" Charlene asked, while slowly getting ready to leave. Seemed like a good place to end the chat and move on to her new task.
    "Oh yes," Vickrum said, rummaging and producing a card to a theatre. "Every few weeks."

"Out of the last fifty?" Isabelle replied sardonically. "Anyway, given your show I guess you should know a bit about who's who out here. Any pointers you can give to someone who's new to town?"
    "Out of ever," corrected Caine.

"Only one counts," came a clipped, accented voice. Gabriel Pope had come out alongside Topbreaker. While Topbreaker's fists crackled with flames, and Caine's microphone crackled and smouldered, the ground under Pope's feet blasted and scorched dry. Other people started to gather nearby - Ashley, Umberto, and Flint. Jax handed them both their drinks. "One time she was sick. Not on form," clarified Pope.

To both Isabelle and Jon, Pope gave the impression of being incredibly smart - the kind of genius smart that's beyond normal conceptions of society, the kind of autistic super-genius who was smarter than a sane person had right to be. To Isabelle, though, he also radiated a kind of burning purpose, and the burning aura of respect worn by someone who had won many, many battles.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-15 at 08:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh yes," Vickrum said, rummaging and producing a card to a theatre. "Every few weeks."
    "Sounds like something to look forward to." Charlene took the card and gave it a look before pocketing it. "Thank you. I should get to work."

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground

"Only one counts," came a clipped, accented voice. Gabriel Pope had come out alongside Topbreaker. While Topbreaker's fists crackled with flames, and Caine's microphone crackled and smouldered, the ground under Pope's feet blasted and scorched dry. Other people started to gather nearby - Ashley, Umberto, and Flint. Jax handed them both their drinks. "One time she was sick. Not on form," clarified Pope.
    Jon took the drink gratefully and sipped at it. He wondered if Amy Acre was already out choosing her location, and nodded briefly to Ashley when he saw her.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ettin in the Playground

"
    "Out of ever," corrected Caine.

To both Isabelle and Jon, Pope gave the impression of being incredibly smart - the kind of genius smart that's beyond normal conceptions of society, the kind of autistic super-genius who was smarter than a sane person had right to be. To Isabelle, though, he also radiated a kind of burning purpose, and the burning aura of respect worn by someone who had won many, many battles.
    Isabelle found herself unconsciously straightening. Not quite to attention, but certainly holding herself a little more erect than before. She'd never been very interested in the military - it wasn't that she had a dicipline problem, just that such things had never been a core part about how she judged the value of a person. Intelligence, however, was a good start. She met Pope's eyes for a moment before giving him a respectful nod.

"Prince Pope. It's good to meet you" she said, unsure whether to offer a hand in greeting.

17. - Top - End - #1367

"Prince Pope. It's good to meet you" she said, unsure whether to offer a hand in greeting.
    Pope didn't show any sign of offering his hand; there was an air of separation about him.

"Are you fighting?" asked Pope of both of them. "If you chose to, you can either fight under my command or fight on your own. To fight under my command is to hear my voice in your head and let see through your eyes and to act without question or hesitation. To fight on your own is to lose."

"Sounds like something to look forward to." Charlene took the card and gave it a look before pocketing it. "Thank you. I should get to work."
    "Good day, then," said Vickrum, returning to his papers.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene left Vickrum's office and headed for the university. If she began by looking around, maybe sitting in on a lecture as Ashley had suggested, perhaps she would get an idea of where to focus and how best to approach the task. Right now she was blank.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Troll in the Playground

Pope didn't show any sign of offering his hand; there was an air of separation about him.

"Are you fighting?" asked Pope of both of them. "If you chose to, you can either fight under my command or fight on your own. To fight under my command is to hear my voice in your head and let see through your eyes and to act without question or hesitation. To fight on your own is to lose."
    Jon frowned briefly. He wasn't keen on hearing voices in his head, but he didn't really want to face Amy Acre's legend on his own. Besides, working with the Court might help him get off to a better start - he didn't want this to turn into meeting Vickrum all over again.

"I'll fight with you. Just tell me what I need to do."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ettin in the Playground

Something about the whole 'subsume herself under the instruction of someone she just met' rubbed her the wrong way; much as it had with Vikrum. Isabelle frowned, and was all ready to argue against Pope when Jon agreed to fight under his command.

She glanced quickly at Vorel and Jon. She couldn't rightly leave them behind could she?

"Fine, for today."

21. - Top - End - #1371

Charlene left Vickrum's office and headed for the university. If she began by looking around, maybe sitting in on a lecture as Ashley had suggested, perhaps she would get an idea of where to focus and how best to approach the task. Right now she was blank.
    This next bit wasn't going to sound plausible when she told her friends.

As she walked down an alley towards the university, what could only be described as a slightly overweight Batman jumped around the corner in front of her, raised a pistol, and shot right at her head. The impact of the bullet didn't come - instead there was a scream of pain from right behind her, and looking around she'd see a heavyset bearded man spraying blood from his hand and dropping the knife he'd been holding.

Fat Batman gestured with the pistol, and the guy started to run away. Fat Batman looked pleased with himself.

Jon frowned briefly. He wasn't keen on hearing voices in his head, but he didn't really want to face Amy Acre's legend on his own. Besides, working with the Court might help him get off to a better start - he didn't want this to turn into meeting Vickrum all over again.

"I'll fight with you. Just tell me what I need to do."
    Something about the whole 'subsume herself under the instruction of someone she just met' rubbed her the wrong way; much as it had with Vikrum. Isabelle frowned, and was all ready to argue against Pope when Jon agreed to fight under his command.

She glanced quickly at Vorel and Jon. She couldn't rightly leave them behind could she?

"Fine, for today."
    Pope nodded, looking like he hadn't been invested in the outcome either way. Instead he gestured at Umberto, who carried a fold out table over to him. Pope produced a deck of Magic cards and began dealing them out to himself, seemingly lost in his own thought.

"There she is," said Vorel, drawing their attention away.

Down the hill came Amy Acre, the person who everyone in town was in awe of, the girl who had supposedly killed one of the Gentry single-handed.

Spoiler
    Show

She walked right past them towards the paintgun shed without a word. There was no wall of hostility, like with Jax, or distance like with Pope. She gave the firm impression of being quiet because she had nothing to say.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

This next bit wasn't going to sound plausible when she told her friends.

As she walked down an alley towards the university, what could only be described as a slightly overweight Batman jumped around the corner in front of her, raised a pistol, and shot right at her head. The impact of the bullet didn't come - instead there was a scream of pain from right behind her, and looking around she'd see a heavyset bearded man spraying blood from his hand and dropping the knife he'd been holding.

Fat Batman gestured with the pistol, and the guy started to run away. Fat Batman looked pleased with himself.
    Her friends would probably be prepared to believe just about anything she told them at this point, no matter how implausible. Of course, this wasn't what was currently going through her head ...

Thankfully it wasn't a bullet, either. Charlene let out a scream and ducked reflexively, of course by then the bullet had already passed her by and she wouldn't have had any chance to duck if it hadn't missed in the first place.

She would have made a valiant effort to tackle Fat Batman next, too, if it hadn't been for the scream behind her. Confusion and panic mixed as her mind caught up with her heart. She spun around to look at the man behind her, then quickly back at the one who still held a weapon and thus warranted a little more attention right now.

Even more confusion followed as her mind began to actually process the scene and who had supposedly just saved her. A few frantic breaths later and still watching the gun wielding vigilante, she managed to get a few words out. "Who ... are you?" You couldn't expect much eloquence after this kind of first meeting. First impressions in this city seemed to involve guns at face value or many-headed monsters more often than was comfortable.

23. - Top - End - #1373

"I'm your lucky day," said Fat Batman. On closer inspection, he wasn't wearing an actual Batman mask, though it was obviously 'inspired by'. He also had a bulletproof vest, a utility belt with multiple cans of spray paint, and an actual black cape.

He didn't look like a Changeling; there were no weird proportions of any kind about him. He just looked like a weirdo in a suit.

"See you around," said Fat Batman, and turned and started hurrying away in a less than perfectly graceful exit scene.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ettin in the Playground

Pope nodded, looking like he hadn't been invested in the outcome either way. Instead he gestured at Umberto, who carried a fold out table over to him. Pope produced a deck of Magic cards and began dealing them out to himself, seemingly lost in his own thought.

"There she is," said Vorel, drawing their attention away.

Down the hill came Amy Acre, the person who everyone in town was in awe of, the girl who had supposedly killed one of the Gentry single-handed.

Spoiler
    Show

She walked right past them towards the paintgun shed without a word. There was no wall of hostility, like with Jax, or distance like with Pope. She gave the firm impression of being quiet because she had nothing to say.
    Isabelle gave her a wave as she passed, not that she really expected any kind of feedback from Amy. At least the girl wasn't overtly hostile, so that was a positive start.

"I guess we'd better go find some gear while we wait?" She asked Vorel.

[PS: Who is Jax, I don't think we met him/her/it?]

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

Jon glanced toward the new arrival, curious to finally see her in person. He was actually a little shocked at first glance - she wasn't ten feet tall or covered in iron armor. She did give him the impression of competence; in fact, that word was the first to lodge itself in his mind once he was past his initial surprise, and he found himself looking forward to seeing her in action. Even if it meant they would lose horribly.

[Pretty sure Jax is Topbreaker]

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1376

Isabelle gave her a wave as she passed, not that she really expected any kind of feedback from Amy. At least the girl wasn't overtly hostile, so that was a positive start.

"I guess we'd better go find some gear while we wait?" She asked Vorel.

[PS: Who is Jax, I don't think we met him/her/it?]
    Jon glanced toward the new arrival, curious to finally see her in person. He was actually a little shocked at first glance - she wasn't ten feet tall or covered in iron armor. She did give him the impression of competence; in fact, that word was the first to lodge itself in his mind once he was past his initial surprise, and he found himself looking forward to seeing her in action. Even if it meant they would lose horribly.

[Pretty sure Jax is Topbreaker]
    [Correct]

Amy Acre unlocked the shed. She took out four paintguns, slung three of them across her back, and carried the fourth in her hands. She left the big, brutal iron spear she'd been carrying by the shed as she started to walk off towards the forested hills. She didn't wear a helmet or any armour.

"One time, Pope had us all shoot her in the back while she was walking away like this," said Vorel. "Didn't work."

"Alright, everyone, you know the drill," said Chris, stepping into his camouflage fatigues. "New guys, wear your armour and your helmet at all times. Do not, repeat not take it off for any reason until you're inside, even if you've got paint all over your face. These guns all aim like ass, so aim a foot above your target. Get to work."

Pope didn't gear up; he stayed examining the cards on his table.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm your lucky day," said Fat Batman. On closer inspection, he wasn't wearing an actual Batman mask, though it was obviously 'inspired by'. He also had a bulletproof vest, a utility belt with multiple cans of spray paint, and an actual black cape.

He didn't look like a Changeling; there were no weird proportions of any kind about him. He just looked like a weirdo in a suit.

"See you around," said Fat Batman, and turned and started hurrying away in a less than perfectly graceful exit scene.
    Generally when someone mentioned "your lucky day", it meant your day was about to get a little less lucky.

"Thanks," she said blankly. At least he had, supposedly, saved her, even if - come to think of it - he had just fired a gun right at her face. It was probably some kind of miracle that it didn't hit her instead of the guy behind her, because imagining Fat Batman being that accurate was straining it a bit. Someone like Vickrum, perhaps, but this guy?

Feeling a shiver at the thought, as the rush of adrenaline faded, she glanced back as she continued on her way. Who was the knife guy anyway, and why had he tried to stab her?

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

Jon began to don a set of protective equipment himself, and glanced curiously at the table where Pope was gazing at the Magic cards like they were a Tarot deck.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle, meanwhile, suited up quickly and picked herself the sturdiest helmet she could find.

"So, while we're on the subject of chivalry, I don't suppose I can count on you to be my nice human shield?" She asked Jon.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Generally when someone mentioned "your lucky day", it meant your day was about to get a little less lucky.

"Thanks," she said blankly. At least he had, supposedly, saved her, even if - come to think of it - he had just fired a gun right at her face. It was probably some kind of miracle that it didn't hit her instead of the guy behind her, because imagining Fat Batman being that accurate was straining it a bit. Someone like Vickrum, perhaps, but this guy?

Feeling a shiver at the thought, as the rush of adrenaline faded, she glanced back as she continued on her way. Who was the knife guy anyway, and why had he tried to stab her?
    The rest of her walk to the university was completely quiet; it was her choice what she did when she got there.

Jon began to don a set of protective equipment himself, and glanced curiously at the table where Pope was gazing at the Magic cards like they were a Tarot deck.
    That was an appropriate metaphor, actually - Pope was staring at the cards as if to glean meaning from them.